Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.
Any y'all still playin this? dove back in recently and wouldnt mind a guild/some company to grind with. username taprackbang42 on olvia8 if that matters. just hit 53 on my first dudette, trying to figure out this endgameish stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

diapermeat posted:

when does this go away? I haven't logged in in a long while.. maybe it's time.

It was for new years day only so you missed it :(

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Against my better judgement/due to crushing boredom I am going to play this. Is there still an active goon guild? Quick research tells me Mystic is also overpowered, is this accurate still?

J
Jun 10, 2001

remeez posted:

Against my better judgement/due to crushing boredom I am going to play this. Is there still an active goon guild? Quick research tells me Mystic is also overpowered, is this accurate still?

If I had to guess the goon guild might be a few afkers at this point, but I'm not in it so I'll let someone else comment for sure. If the goon guild is dead you can find a chill pubbie guild, there are a lot of small-ish guilds out there with all the guild perks who will take any warm body because they need 10 people online to claim guild bonuses and daily guild pay over a certain amount. Mystic is extremely good yes, if you're not sure what class to pick then you can't go wrong by playing mystic. She's easy to play, all her abilities flow nicely into each other, and strong in pvp, which makes the elitepvp crowd really mad.

The game added a battle royale mode recently called shadow arena. You know the drill, 50 people enter an area and a circle shrinks down to force the action. You kill mobs and open treasure chests to get equipment and skills for your character. It's actually kinda fun, and is surprisingly rewarding. For new and/or undergeared players, shadow arena will be the best money you can make in the game for a long time. If you get really good at it, the money will be better than grinding for all but the most endgame geared players.

They also added something called dark rifts. Every day or two a personal boss will spawn on the world map, killing it drops an accessory box and a material that can be traded in for some pretty useful items. Up to 10 of these can be on the map at once, and if they are too hard they get weaker over time while still dropping the same loot. Also no penalty if they kill you.

Oh and they added the new marketplace last week - prices on a lot of items adjust way more significantly than they used to. There are still hard caps but now for a lot of things the cap is high enough that these items are actually sellable for roughly their true market value. For example, memory fragments (1.9m each), and ogre rings (about 170m each) are both sitting on the market now.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

remeez posted:

Not really. If you just want a guild to get guild benefits, we're still kinda around, but it's not terribly active at this point. If you talk in discord, you can still get pretty quick responses there, but the in-game chat is pretty dead

Khorne
May 1, 2002

J posted:

Oh and they added the new marketplace last week - prices on a lot of items adjust way more significantly than they used to. There are still hard caps but now for a lot of things the cap is high enough that these items are actually sellable for roughly their true market value. For example, memory fragments (1.9m each), and ogre rings (about 170m each) are both sitting on the market now.
Oh, nice.

What's the status of getting 'good' gear for pvp? The biggest problem with the game around when I stopped, sometime after renown score which just made it worse, was it didn't seem to subscribe to "all players should be roughly equal in pvp +/- 20% due to gear". Instead, it was more like whale ultra hard and pray for good rng. Some nerds have literally dropped $3k+ and not even gotten the gear they wanted.

I had fun playing without spending, but I ultimately quit because pvp felt out of reach even with lots of in-game money.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 25, 2019

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It's a korean mmo

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's a korean mmo
Yeah? So was RO and it just had a monthly fee before it turned to garbage. Also very low gear requirements for pvp and woe participation and being a top player.

KMMOs often own but seem to be plagued by common issues these days. I'll never understand the appeal of the upgrade systems they seem to have universally adopted. Or any kind of random chance box.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ragnarok online was also made close to 2 decades ago when you made money by making players play more due to subscription fees or time cards

Khorne posted:

KMMOs often own but seem to be plagued by common issues these days. I'll never understand the appeal of the upgrade systems they seem to have universally adopted. Or any kind of random chance box.
The appeal is that the company makes a shitload of money.

J
Jun 10, 2001

If you want to pvp in this game do shadow arena. Pvp in the actual game is still all about gear, and is only going to be something you do a tiny fraction of the time anyways even if you did have the gear for it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

Ragnarok online was also made close to 2 decades ago when you made money by making players play more due to subscription fees or time cards
This model still works. The modern adaptation lets people sell the timecards in-game and allows people to f2p it up. It's just an ethical model so you aren't stealing as much money from your players.

quote:

The appeal is that the company makes a shitload of money.
Yeah, but only because people choose to participate. I get that it makes tons of money. I don't get why people dump money into it, though. It has to be the least appealing method of progression or spending money on a game I can think of.

If random chance is involved I'm not spending real money unless there's some huge upside and a very low amount of money involved.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 26, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Khorne posted:

I don't get why people dump money into it, though.
Las Vegas exists for a reason. Enough people get that RNG high.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Khorne posted:

This model still works. The modern adaptation lets people sell the timecards in-game and allows people to f2p it up. It's just an ethical model so you aren't stealing as much money from your players.

Except it doesn't make as much money so most companies don't do it or at least if they do, they're still combining it with gacha/lottery boxes. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a korean mmo made in the last 15 years. It's made to sink as much time and/or money as you want into the game to maximize pcbang revenue as well as microtransaction revenue.

If you want to play this game just for the pvp, find a different game because honestly the pvp is pretty lame and you'll spend like 100x more time doing everything except pvping

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you want to play this game just for the pvp, find a different game because honestly the pvp is pretty lame and you'll spend like 100x more time doing everything except pvping
I actually just played for lifeskills and some weird chill pve stuff. I just found the gear situation for pvp disheartening because it actually seemed fun except for the gear power level discrepancies.

Like, they'd probably have more players if they changed how gear scaled in some of their large-scale pvp stuff.

I stopped playing because the lifeskills and node system are actually really shallow, everyone I knew quit due to renown score, and I was juggling a lot of obligations. Like most other aspects of the game, lifeskills are designed to seem intricate and cool but really it's just designed to hook new players to "invest" $80-$250 upfront before they realize it has the depth of a puddle. Or maybe lots of people never realize that, I dunno.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 26, 2019

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Well the answer to your question for 'good' gear hasn't changed too much. All tet boss armor and weapons, all tri gold accessories. That's probably the baseline for even low-tier guilds at this point since people are creeping up to having pen gear and tet accessories, and really it's not that hard to get to tet gear and tri accessories if you play frequently.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

Well the answer to your question for 'good' gear hasn't changed too much. All tet boss armor and weapons, all tri gold accessories. That's probably the baseline for even low-tier guilds at this point since people are creeping up to having pen gear and tet accessories, and really it's not that hard to get to tet gear and tri accessories if you play frequently.
To be honest, I was fine with the baseline gear requirements. I just didn't like the power gap between baseline and above baseline. But that's why I just focused on pve. :shrug:

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 26, 2019

stump collector
May 28, 2007
It's worth giving shadow arena and the new boss content a shot. About six months ago, koreas anniversary event gave out a bunch of free* accessories, up to tri, and na/eu are coming up on three years next week.

*You had to enhance free items or something and you would get to keep the good version each week or something

**No telling if they will give other servers the same event

J
Jun 10, 2001

3rd anniversary event is up. If you hit f3 and go to the loyalties tab in the shop you can buy an anniversary package that has a random boss box/item in it for 3 loyalties.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Was going to give this game a whirl again, have not played for well over a year.

25 GB to download, at 60 kb/s

Left it running for almost a day and the speed is the same throughout. 9 days until update is complete.

I think i'll skip this game.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
You sure the issue isn't on your side? I downloaded it in 2h (probably less; I left it running while doing chores) yesterday.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Was going to give this game a whirl again, have not played for well over a year.

25 GB to download, at 60 kb/s

Left it running for almost a day and the speed is the same throughout. 9 days until update is complete.

I think i'll skip this game.

Was this for na or eu this time?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Svensken posted:

You sure the issue isn't on your side? I downloaded it in 2h (probably less; I left it running while doing chores) yesterday.

No idea, my internet has decent speed (100 mbit) and it has been extremely stable during the years i have had it. I downloaded a 1 gb game from Steam in the same timeframe in like 2 minutes.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Was this for na or eu this time?

I did not check but i played on EU previously, and have not uninstalled the game in the interim, so i assume the launcher is still set to EU.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
That's not typical, people are having issues with downloading it lately through the launcher. I'm a dirty steamie though so I haven't had issues myself

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
I had that same issue but i flushed my DNS according to this guide https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000267565--Procedure-How-to-flush-your-DNS-reset-your-TCP-IP and it went up quite a bit, still a couple hours download but nothing huge. Im really liking the dark rift bosses that spawn only for you. Also SA is really really fun. Havent gotten a single kill in it yet but the silver/hr is pretty decent.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The free tri accessory event* started today. I'm not going to do a huge write up but check out patch notes. For four weeks you get to enhance event accessories and trade them in for real ones. Great event check it out

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I saw this is now listed as "remastered" on Steam. I played it for a couple hours months ago just to give it a try, what was changed?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I saw this is now listed as "remastered" on Steam. I played it for a couple hours months ago just to give it a try, what was changed?

They changed how the game renders--overall most things look a little better in the remastered mode, most notably textures were mostly improved. However, it makes it very difficult to see in darker areas (e.g. night, shadowed areas in otherwise bright lighting), and everything is a little shinier than they probably should be. The remastered mode didn't change anything else about gameplay.

I don't play on remastered mode because I like being able to see. XBox doesn't have a choice and only has remastered, so you could pop into an XBox stream to take a look--there should be plenty to choose from since the xbox servers just launched

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Decided to let the updater do its thing and eventually it was fully updated.

The game is still fun. The combat in this game was alway spectacular. A lot of things have presumably changed since last i played (about 2 years ago? A few months after mystic released)

I notice the marketplace works differently now, items are simply there instead of you needing to camp the npc and try to be the fastest to bid on something.
Bit surprised at the availability of items i figured would still be rare, and how "cheap" they are. There are plenty of TRI Dandelions and they only cost around 600 mil, i was expecting there to be virtually none and them costing billions .There are even several PEN Dande's.

I am surprised at how much i have forgotten. I have a character that i used to cook and process with but i honestly don't remember what exactly it was i did. I also have a pretty big worker empire but i remember it being a lot easier to get them to do what i want. I also am not sure why i have so many CP free, i remember being really starved on them.

Could someone give me a quick crash course in the big changes to the game?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I don't remember the last time you played but here's a couple changes off the top of my head

1. They added ap brackets where a change in 1 ap that bumps you between brackets can effectively be like 20+ AP. Because that makes sense and all instead of making pen items' stats actually just scale higher than they do so there isn't all this bs non-sheet stats

2. Pet gambling now has visible odds and you don't have to do pets within 1 tier of each other

3. For non-DP builds, DR has generally overtaken evasion as the preferred form of DP. This means urugons and griffon are generally favored over giath and muskans.

4. New gold weapons were released. At this point, none of them are better than kzarka/dande/nouver at the highest end, but for a while offin tett was better than kzarka because there were two forms of GS brackets that artificially boosted your ap, and now there is only one. Or something.

5. Enhancing also has visible percentages. So that's cool i guess.

6. The market as you've noticed is different.

7. Imperial delivery now resets on all channels every 3 hours instead of like half of them.

8. Drieghan and Kamasylvia are both released. There have been at least a couple new classes since you last played, archer, lahn, mystic, striker, and dk from newest to oldest. Pretty sure you were around for at least DK/Striker though.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks.

Nothing big that really affects me i guess, except the market. That is some real QOL improvement for someone that has an ~hour to play every day. I think i quit the game back when after spending all my gametime for like a week camping the marketplace to buy a +3 cook outfit.

Is processing still the way to go for afk moneymaking? I had a decent processing empire, with the processing clothes, master processer and a huge worker empire dedicated to getting processing materials.

EDIT: Also i forgot to ask: If i want full value from selling something, do i need to Value Pack active when i post it for sale, when it sells, or when i collect the money? I am not going to get 30-day packs this time but i have several 7-day ones i plan to use occasionally after saving up a lot of bulk to sell.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 22, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You forgot that they changed the Velia band music. RIP the RIP ears.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Whats the word on this new TET accessory event?
Is this like all the other events where you have a "chance" at getting the good stuff but lol tricked ya the chance is literally just 0,01% and all other rolls just ends up being black stones or mem frags, or is there an actual good chance at getting TET?
I am wondering if i should bother with the event or just play the game normally. I don't have a lot of time to play so for as long as the event is on all my gametime would have to be devoted to it.
I have been burned by events so many times in the past because the chance of getting the good stuff is literally 0,01%

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Whats the word on this new TET accessory event?
Is this like all the other events where you have a "chance" at getting the good stuff but lol tricked ya the chance is literally just 0,01% and all other rolls just ends up being black stones or mem frags, or is there an actual good chance at getting TET?
I am wondering if i should bother with the event or just play the game normally. I don't have a lot of time to play so for as long as the event is on all my gametime would have to be devoted to it.
I have been burned by events so many times in the past because the chance of getting the good stuff is literally 0,01%

It is a Tri event, not a tet event.

They give you quest, you have to kill 1k of a mob. The mob is 'random' from 4 mobs, all are highly farmed currently and getting people to work together in a group is drat near impossible. You get 5 %flavor% moons a day (1 per hour) to enhance that item. Null to pri is 80%, pri to duo is 40% and duo to tri is 5%. FS do not help and you do not gain FS. If you get one to tri you can trade it in for a tri item of the current item. This week it is a Narc, last week was a crescent. If you fail at getting a tri you can turn in 6 of the items and get a duo.

It is a bunch of hoops, needlessly.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
TLDR if you stay on for the required length of time and run the kill quests you get 48 hits for an overall 35% chance of a TRI.

If you fail and have run the kill quest 6 times you turn all your failures for a DUO.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks, yeah im not sure why i wrote TET. I was thinking of items with III on their icon.

I have not been active ingame for all that many hours but i have played for quite the number of calendar days by now, and have gotten a huge amount of login rewards. I have never really used any of these, nor have i really felt the need to since i have mostly played different classes to level 56 and awakening and been satisfied with using a +15 green weapon and PRI or DUO grunil armor. I want to take a character further than 56 this time though and get some good gear on it, but am not really sure what the best way to do that is.

Should i use my items and enchant stuff myself or should i liquidize all my assets and straight up buy?

I currently have, roughly:

600 million silver
1000 memory fragments
1000 black stones weapon
1000 black stones armor
200 hard frags
200 sharp frags
1000 cron stones
30 artisan memories
15 of that golden orb item related to enchanting, i forget its name
30 advice of valks scrolls in various sizes from +15 to +50
a huge amount of accessories like witch rings, red coral rings and what not
20 or so yellow accessories like ogre rings, tungrad earrings
100 Shaktu seals (so i could get a DUO Ogre ring or Tungrad earring)
a storage with materials that are worth 2,2 billion according to the UI (probably an unrealistic figure?)

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Should i use my items and enchant stuff myself or should i liquidize all my assets and straight up buy?

Now is a terrible time to liquidate assets to silver, prices on pretty much everything are bottomed out. That being said, the general rule is it's always going to be less painful to just buy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Personally I just live on passive income and whatever gear that buys me over time. The only enhancing I did was +10 fishing pole, +3 tradeskill clothes (+4 cooking) and a little horse gear.

One item here and there with no real hurry.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

So finally we have the final stage of the TRI event, for Ogre Ring, yay.

The first quest sent me to loving Fogans. I have never even been in the desert before (a couple of quests at Nagas but thats barely in the desert) and i get a quest on the far side of it. Took like 45 mins from Heidel to even get there.
Fogans were easy enough, either the game has generally gotten easier/nerfed since last i played or mystic is really strong. With the +10 awk weapon from the awk quest i blitzed through em and completed the quest in ~35 mins.

Has getting a quest at Fogans been possible for every stage of the event or is it particular to the Ogre Ring stage? Im just worried ill get sent to more really remote spots for the remaining 5 quests. I have very little time to play this week but i would also really like to get a DUO Ogre Ring "for free"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ogre ring is hexe sanctuary, helms, fogans in that order, so tomorrow it'll send you and a third of the population off to a bumfuck calpheon hole with zero density hf

helms and fogans are actually very easy and hella density. it wouldn't even be a bad idea to reserve all the pages for a certain day and just smack them all out in one of those areas instead of hexe. the spot you get sent to is based on what day it is, not the event page.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

Are you sure the location is based on which day the event is at in the rotation?
I have done 2 quests in 1 day earlier in the event and could have sworn i got sent to 2 different locations.

Im in Olvia so there is not a lot of people competing for the spots. The only time i found it problematic to get kills was during one of the Mansha days and i just changed channel.

Also not meant as a nicpick, just trying to clarify what you said:

quote:

ogre ring is hexe sanctuary, helms, fogans in that order

Today was the first day of ogre ring and fogans was first. ?