Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

google is the best for files because you just search something then scroll down to the bottom and click the takedown notices then go to the links in the takedown notices because you know they are 100% guaranteed to be legitimate streams that go directly to what they say they do.

thanks pming this to myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

karthun posted:

The CAN bus is the internal communication network for the car. Any infotainment system that has access to the CAN bus and has a cellphone module included can theoretically be hacked in the same way.

There are multiple CAN buses in any vehicle, connected by gateways that filter messages. Infotainment systems are not connected to the engine CAN bus except on poorly designed vehicles.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Beat Saber can actually be a pretty good workout and it's more fun than most solo workouts. I'll take it over treadmill/elliptical/exercise bike any day of the week, and people do those things all the time.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cicero posted:

Beat Saber can actually be a pretty good workout and it's more fun than most solo workouts. I'll take it over treadmill/elliptical/exercise bike any day of the week, and people do those things all the time.

Wii fit or bust.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

If this is a gym where you go to level up your VR skills or something at a computer I get being upset by this but what possible thing is there to whine about if it's just exercise bikes with VR helmets? That seems like a good idea that would work pretty well and doesn't seem like it's hurting you at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wii fit or bust.

My personal trainer is in Smash Bros, how about yours?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Me six months ago: "If social media platforms hired actual PEOPLE to moderate their platforms instead of ineffective automated solutions, we wouldn't be in this mess!"

https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1100100700229505024

Me now: "We're loving doomed"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

muon posted:

There are multiple CAN buses in any vehicle, connected by gateways that filter messages. Infotainment systems are not connected to the engine CAN bus except on poorly designed vehicles.

As I said before, assuming they airgapped sensibly.

Anyone who has ever worked on automotive electronics is now laughing their way out the door.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If this is a gym where you go to level up your VR skills or something at a computer I get being upset by this but what possible thing is there to whine about if it's just exercise bikes with VR helmets? That seems like a good idea that would work pretty well and doesn't seem like it's hurting you at all.

Wearing VR gear while sweating sounds super gross and uncomfortable. Especially when it's not for personal use, but shared by everyone who visits the gym.

A videogame screen that's connected to an exercise bike sounds like a good idea, but I don't see why it needs VR.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

muon posted:

Name what you think is a well designed car. Then have a wander to AI and recoil in horror just how bad that car and its maker are at security.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Liquid Communism posted:

Anyone who has ever worked on automotive electronics is now laughing their way out the door.

I could be naďve here but if the trucks I worked on almost a decade ago got this right I have to assume more often than not infotainment units aren't on the ECU bus. Manufacturers are that cheap but wow if that persisted past the Jeep incident.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Name what you think is a well designed car. Then have a wander to AI and recoil in horror just how bad that car and its maker are at security.

Security is extremely difficult to do well. Adding a CAN gateway is not, like Bosch probably has a ready-made— and so they do

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

fishmech posted:

It's still perfectly usable to spy on you though? Since people claim to be worried about being spied on at any moment, the fact of it being slightly lower quality audio doesn't matter.

I care more about google accidently forgetting about a mic in the spec so they can siphon off some data then I do about secret squirell engineering a reversable speaker and the signal processing to seamlessly use it and clean up the sound.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Elman posted:

Wearing VR gear while sweating sounds super gross and uncomfortable. Especially when it's not for personal use, but shared by everyone who visits the gym.
They probably just have swappable headset covers.

quote:

A videogame screen that's connected to an exercise bike sounds like a good idea, but I don't see why it needs VR.
VR can make exercise stuff much more immersive and entertaining. Something like Beat Saber or Thrill of the Fight is way more compelling than Wii Sports/Fit. And that's in its current state, which is admittedly still kinda janky and primitive, only going to get better from here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

I could be naďve here

Yes

muon posted:

Security is extremely difficult to do well. Adding a CAN gateway is not, like Bosch probably has a ready-made— and so they do

I refer to the previous point I made. There is more than enough evidence car makers are loving awful and make utterly insane design decisions, usually due to accounting pressure constantly.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Cicero posted:

VR can make exercise stuff much more immersive and entertaining. Something like Beat Saber or Thrill of the Fight is way more compelling than Wii Sports/Fit. And that's in its current state, which is admittedly still kinda janky and primitive, only going to get better from here.

VR is deeply unnecessary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ1mV64H7ws

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

'Airgapped' and 'has a gateway' aren't the same thing, mind you. Gateways can have security bugs, too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I care more about google accidently forgetting about a mic in the spec so they can siphon off some data then I do about secret squirell engineering a reversable speaker and the signal processing to seamlessly use it and clean up the sound.

You're making up a false dichotomy for no reason. A "forgotten mic" still needs all the signal processing to clean up the sound to be usable, and a "reversible speaker" is the vast majority of speakers in consumer electronics - it's the cheaper and easier way to build such things.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kobayashi posted:

Physics is time reversible therefore everything that is possible is equally easy, bingo bongo so simple.

Thread title please.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

Me six months ago: "If social media platforms hired actual PEOPLE to moderate their platforms instead of ineffective automated solutions, we wouldn't be in this mess!"

https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1100100700229505024

Me now: "We're loving doomed"

"Get in the drat cubicle, Shinji!"

My suggestion to apply thermite to all social media servers still stands.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
We basically made that cinema scene in A Clockwork Orange a real thing except worse

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

You're making up a false dichotomy for no reason. A "forgotten mic" still needs all the signal processing to clean up the sound to be usable, and a "reversible speaker" is the vast majority of speakers in consumer electronics - it's the cheaper and easier way to build such things.
What if I crack open the device and find, say, a speaker connected to a dedicated I2S DAC with no ADC functionality. They sprung for the extra expense, I guess. Does this setup make it easier or harder for an attacker to turn it into a reversible speaker and monitor someone?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I refer to the previous point I made. There is more than enough evidence car makers are loving awful and make utterly insane design decisions, usually due to accounting pressure constantly.

Yup. If it's a buck cheaper per chassis not to do it right, then it is 100% not getting done right. If it's FiatChrysler, then it will probably not get done right even if it costs them money, because they are just that loving bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. If it's a buck cheaper per chassis not to do it right, then it is 100% not getting done right. If it's FiatChrysler, then it will probably not get done right even if it costs them money, because they are just that loving bad.

As someone who wrenches on a lot of cars this manifests in such insane ways. Some of my favorites are plastic drain plugs on some Rover rears. Rover was in dire straits at the time, so there was definitely a lot of accounting pressure. Now a plastic plug was an engineering decision - a very good one - for the fill. With a regular metal plug for the drain. Some bean counter obvious noticed that this plastic part was cheaper and fit in the same size hole and welp, there's the new BOM for the next model year. Engineering concerns be damned, it saved $1 per chassis, and would PROBABLY make it through warranty.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know if I'm just an old man but I hate these drat scooter (and bike) companies:

https://twitter.com/yayitsrob/status/1100536938111602689

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Uhh, they're just going to make up for the losses by selling at volume, like eggs.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So they're grifting billionaires to subsidize public transport? Could start a flying car company next and just run bus lines on the VC dime as the "first step, while we're working out the new fleet. Don't worry, we'll break ALL the laws."
But you'll have to trust the public not to make a Twitter expose about it or else the plan is ruined

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hey, how about a massive HIPPA violation in the making.

quote:

Los Angeles medical center Cedars-Sinai is currently piloting a program that places Amazon Echos in more than 100 patient rooms. The smart speakers use Aiva, a voice assistant platform for healthcare, and is intended to help patients communicate with their caregivers. Letting patients use Alexa to perform basic tasks like changing TV channels also frees up nurses to perform medical care.

Backed by Amazon’s Alexa Fund and the Google Assistant Investment Program, Aiva also participated in the Cedars-Sina accelerator program for healthcare startups. The platform also works with Google Home.

After a patient tells Alexa what they need, Aiva routes it to the right person’s mobile phone. For example, if someone needs medicine, their request goes to a registered nurse. If a response takes too long, Aiva reroutes the request “up the chain of command.”

Voice assistants are currently being tested in several capacities in healthcare. For example, voice assistants in Boston Children’s intensive care unit let nurses ask for administrative information, like who is the charge nurse on duty or how many beds are available in a ward. Boston Children’s also piloted voice-enabled versions of the checklist used to validate organs before transplant, with prompts to help reduce error. KidsMD, a program powered by Alexa, is meant to be used by parents at home to help them decide if their kids need to see a doctor.

Amazon still holds the top position in the smart speaker market, and likewise Alexa is currently the voice assistant most often used by hospitals, according to Healthcare IT News. So far, its devices have been used in Boston’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Commonwealth Care Alliance, Northwell Health in New York, and Libertana Home Health in Los Angeles, in addition to Cedars-Sinai.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if I'm just an old man but I hate these drat scooter (and bike) companies:

https://twitter.com/yayitsrob/status/1100536938111602689

Is this those like, e-scooter things? They have those downtown where I live and I hate them because the tourists weave in and out of downtown traffic and then leave them wherever they please.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lightning Knight posted:

Is this those like, e-scooter things? They have those downtown where I live and I hate them because the tourists weave in and out of downtown traffic and then leave them wherever they please.

Yep, the very same. These things probably made very little profit from the start but with end-stage capitalism and the desperation of billionaires to find something with incredible growth (and what better than Mobility 2.0?), they’re throwing money at dumb poo poo.

Hyper-capitalism leaving nothing but broken poo poo in its wake is hardly new, but at least this one is helping point out that the free market loving shucks at transportation infrastructure and is getting more people to notice the abysmal status of public transit in the US.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 27, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Bird tried moving into Minneapolis and I cannot for the life of me figure out what their game plan for winter was

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We really all need Pokemon style collapsible bikes.

Or Capsules. You can really see why Bulma's family is absurdly rich because holy crap they're convenient.

Maybe collapsible cars?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Bird tried moving into Minneapolis and I cannot for the life of me figure out what their game plan for winter was

Monopolize market, raise prices to point of profitability and then cash out and retire before it all comes crumbling down

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Bird tried moving into Norfolk and the only scooters that didn't make it to the impound are owned by industrious kids who know how to take poo poo apart.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Amazon has been making noise about getting deeper into healthcare, including rumors about launching health insurance to compete with CVS, so spying on recovering patients would be a great way for it to ~*disrupt*~ an already unbelievably lovely industry.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

mandatory lesbian posted:

Apparently the scooters only last a month anyway, so die off in the winter freeze like snake eating gorillas.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for wanting to steal one of those scooters

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ripoff posted:

Yep, the very same. These things probably made very little profit from the start but with end-stage capitalism and the desperation of billionaires to find something with incredible growth (and what better than Mobility 2.0?), they’re throwing money at dumb poo poo.

Hyper-capitalism leaving nothing but broken poo poo in its wake is hardly new, but at least this one is helping point out that the free market loving shucks at transportation infrastructure and is getting more people to notice the abysmal status of public transit in the US.

I still think this pales in comparison to the time Uber re-invented buses, but managed to make it worse in every way.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I still think this pales in comparison to the time Uber re-invented buses, but managed to make it worse in every way.

Oh yeah, the “Uber Shuttle” poo poo was a riot when it came out and I honestly thought it was a joke until it became apparent they were dead serious. That said, all respect to them, their blunder lets you shortcut conversations about transit in the US to “We put the smartest techies with the best AI available on the task of transportation in the US, and they managed to invent the bus. Can we please talk about public transit in earnest, now?”

Those conversations got Gwinnett county, a county Northeast of Atlanta, to agree to a vote on expanding public transit from the city to the county for the first time in decades. Thank you, tech bros, for pissing away your cash to prove a point that sane people have been arguing for years. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Liquid Communism posted:

I'll allow it if it tells the nurse the IV pump is beeping once again every hour or so so I can get some sleep.