Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

"Big ones may control three or four hundred square kilometers. Small ones --” He broke off as the Duke kicked on the jet brakes. The ship bucked as its tail pods whispered to silence. Stub wings elongated, cupped the air. The craft became a full 'thopter as the Duke banked it, holding the wings to a gentle beat, pointing with his left hand off to the east beyond the factory crawler.

And also like a dozen other examples. They are flappy birds. With little jets for VTOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ospreythopter

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Ornithopter is Fremen for helicopter. Read @duneauthor otherwise don’t bother responding

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ornithopter is Fremen for helicopter. Read @duneauthor otherwise don’t bother responding

Please tell me he didn't say that, I can't even tell anymore. Help.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's a goddamned bird. loving accept it, you freaks.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, are carryalls giant half-a-kilometer-wide birds too?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

So, are carryalls giant half-a-kilometer-wide birds too?

Obviously not. They're not super maneuverable, just there for retrieval. And spaceships look however you want, because they're built in space.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

"This is a carryall," Hawat said. "It's essentially a large 'thopter, whose sole function is to deliver a factory to spice-rich sands, then to rescue the factory when a sandworm appears. They always appear. Harvesting the spice is a process of getting in and getting out with as much as possible."

See also the big troop carrier 'thopter that holds ~300 men, and is kamikaze'd by a captured regular 'thopter:

Another 'thopter glided in over the cliff wall above Hawat. He drew in a sharp breath as he saw it - a big troop carrier. It flew with the slow, spreadwing heaviness of a full load--like a giant bird coming to its nest. ... The troop carrier settled toward the patch of blue-clad bodies. Its wings crept out to full reach, began the cupping action of a quick stop. Hawat's attention was caught by a flash of sun on metal to the south, a 'thopter plummeting there in a power dive, wings folded flat against its sides, its jets a golden flare against the dark silvered gray of the sky. ... Straight into the carrier the diving 'thopter plunged.

All birds. They got hella material science in the Duniverse.

It's true that spacecraft don't have to consider aerodynamics, but carryalls aren't spacecraft. I think the only pure spacecraft mentioned in the novel are Guild heighliners.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
drat. My brain switcheroo'd me. Black for purity, white for poison.

Carryalls is birds too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

I mean that with the exception of the sandrider test and the water of life scene, almost everything in the book happens inside the 'artic circle' of arrakis.
Huh, I'm not sure I ever realized that - and I've read the series more than 20 times.

phasmid posted:

Obviously not. They're not super maneuverable, just there for retrieval. And spaceships look however you want, because they're built in space.
I'm Emperor Shaddam Corrino IVs completely un-aerodynamic pyramid of a spaceship that lands on Dune in that dumb loving movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

D. Ebdrup posted:

Huh, I'm not sure I ever realized that - and I've read the series more than 20 times.

There's a map in the back of Dune that covers it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

exmachina posted:

I mean that with the exception of the sandrider test and the water of life scene, almost everything in the book happens inside the 'artic circle' of arrakis.

Do the books mention the really long days and nights that come from living at one of the poles? Or is that a thing that only happens on a tilted planet like earth?
Astronomy is hard.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm Emperor Shaddam Corrino IVs completely un-aerodynamic pyramid of a spaceship that lands on Dune in that dumb loving movie.

Emperor: I want a flying golden pyramid
Engineer 1: That would be difficult sire.Not extremely aerodynamic but an egg-like ship would be more than suitab..
Emps: FLAIL THIS MAN ALIVE IN FRONT OF HIS CHILDREN
Engineer 2: :stonk:
Emps: Am I going to get my flying pyramid or do I have to find another engineer ?

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 26, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pyramids are pretty strong designs, aren't they? There's a reason they're the most common shape of the biggest buildings that ancient peoples built.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pyramids are pretty strong designs, aren't they? There's a reason they're the most common shape of the biggest buildings that ancient peoples built.

They're strong as structures that sit on the ground. Lots of support from the big wide base on the ground.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tree Bucket posted:

Do the books mention the really long days and nights that come from living at one of the poles? Or is that a thing that only happens on a tilted planet like earth?
Astronomy is hard.

At the earth equivalent of latitude, the day/night cycle in Arrakeen would be similar to Oslo, Norway. Polar night would be seen at more northern latitudes. Also, if Arrakis has a less pronounced axial tilt than earth, the effect would be less.
In Oslo, longest night of the year is about 12 hours, and longest day would mean no more than 19 (intermediated by twilight).

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 26, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oddly enough reminds me of Star Wars EU material that mentions Tatooine's inhabited areas are all in the planet's equivalent of the polar regions.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tree Bucket posted:

Astronomy is hard.

It's a consequence of a planet's tilt

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The reason is probably that ancient people looked at nature to know about the rules governing their world

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 26, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough reminds me of Star Wars EU material that mentions Tatooine's inhabited areas are all in the planet's equivalent of the polar regions.

star wars was 7.39% Dune by volume

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Looking up crap in the Dune Encyclopedia, Arrakis apparently had nearly no axial tilt but did have its orbit wobble around a lot, making its year duration unpredictable. Exciting!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's a consequence of a planet's tilt

If Arrakkis had no tilt, the days wouldn't be pronounced but even during the day it'd never be much more than twilight in Arrakkeen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

There's a map in the back of Dune that covers it
To be fair to me, most of those times has been as audiobook since I'd probably be better off with Thleilaxu eyes.

Temaukel posted:

At the earth equivalent of latitude, the day/night cycle in Arrakeen would be similar to Oslo, Norway. Polar night would be seen at more northern latitudes. Also, if Arrakis has a less pronounced axial tilt than earth, the effect would be less.
In Oslo, longest night of the year is about 12 hours, and longest day would mean no more than 19 (intermediated by twilight).
The Atreides spends a lot more than a year on the planet and there's barely any mention of seasons so not only does Dune likely have very little axial tilt, it probably also has almost no distance between apogee and perigee.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

To be fair to me, most of those times has been as audiobook since I'd probably be better off with Thleilaxu eyes.

The Atreides spends a lot more than a year on the planet and there's barely any mention of seasons so not only does Dune likely have very little axial tilt, it probably also has almost no distance between apogee and perigee.

Apcanopion and pericanopion?

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 26, 2019

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

If you wanna know what carryalls and ornithopters look like, load up Dune 2 and watch that sick loving intro!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Apcanopion and pericanopion?
I have no loving idea what this means :shrug:
Apogee and perigee are terms used for all objects that orbit something in astonomy, as far as I know.

DebonaireD posted:

If you wanna know what carryalls and ornithopters look like, load up Dune 2 and watch that sick loving intro!
Isn't it only the Atreides ornithopters that flap in the intro? It's been a while since I played Dune II: Battle for Arrakis, but I'm pretty sure all the houses (including the Emperor) has Caryalls that bring the first harvester and later on can transport all harvesters.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 26, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

I have no loving idea what this means :shrug:
Apogee and perigee are terms used for all objects that orbit something in astonomy, as far as I know.

I think apogee is for the moon or other orbits around the earth specifically. Aphelion and perihelion are orbits around the sun. Canopus is Arrakis’s star I think? So I did a @duneauthor

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think apogee is for the moon or other orbits around the earth specifically. Aphelion and perihelion are orbits around the sun. Canopus is Arrakis’s star I think? So I did a @duneauthor
I actually did type aphelion and perihelion first, but then I confused myself and rewrote it.
Also, don't do like that piece of poo poo hack "writer", lets your waters be shed on the sand.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 26, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

As much as I want the Dune movie to be good, if it’s really good @duneauthor is going to rake in the book sale money

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

As much as I want the Dune movie to be good, if it’s really good @duneauthor is going to rake in the book sale money

This is some serious monkey's paw

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

as soon as someone says they don't like the Lynch movie, I pretty much disregard all of their opinions

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Fremen live in the deep desert, which i believe is along the equator. That's why nobody believes there are more than a few thousand, because as soon as you leave the polar region you die

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

as soon as someone says they don't like the Lynch movie, I pretty much disregard all of their opinions
Let me clarify my opinion a bit then:
David Lynch's Dune is an okay David Lynch movie. It's not his best work, something evident from the fact that in some printings it's directed by Alan Smithee - although that's not true for the newest printings, so I'm guessing he didn't mind all the cash.
What it isn't, is a good filmatization of the novel Dune - there's way too much auteur director about it, and the things that the De Laurentiis' did to it to "fix" it didn't help one bit, either.

It's sort of stuck between auteur director doing his brilliant thing and faithful recreation of a novel in movie form - a sort of no-persons-land like an erg full of drum-sand, where only worms roam.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

so I'm guessing he didn't mind all the cash.

:jerkbag:

dude, go back and read all of your own posts on this page. look at the way you write. ask yourself: "am I an insufferable smug nerd stereotype?"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

We're all wool-gathering nerds in here.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

I actually did type aphelion and perihelion first, but then I confused myself and rewrote it.
Also, don't do like that piece of poo poo hack "writer", lets your waters be shed on the sand.

If you wanna get proper with it, periastron and apastron is whats used for any star that's not the earth, also apgalacton and perigalacton.

Apogee is just the gansta that's furthest away from you and periogee would be the one closest to you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

:jerkbag:

dude, go back and read all of your own posts on this page. look at the way you write. ask yourself: "am I an insufferable smug nerd stereotype?"
Stop being offended on someone elses behalf.

Zeniel posted:

If you wanna get proper with it, periastron and apastron is whats used for any star that's not the earth, also apgalacton and perigalacton.

Apogee is just the gansta that's furthest away from you and periogee would be the one closest to you.
That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zeniel posted:

These sound like Transformers

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

These sound like Transformers
Michael Bay's Dune sounds so loving terrible, I wanna watch it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Apo/perigee is for bodies orbiting earth, -helion is for ones orbiting the sun, the general, nonspecific term is apo/periapsis.

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's sort of stuck between auteur director doing his brilliant thing and faithful recreation of a novel in movie form - a sort of no-persons-land like an erg full of drum-sand, where only worms roam.

Still, though, the film got so much right. The visual aesthetic was bang on; the stillsuits, crysknives, the blue eyes, things like the Hunter-seeker that were on one hand sophisticated electronics but on the other hand aren’t because those are prohibited. The blue eyes, the thumpers, the ‘thopters, the spice harvester, the shields, the BGs, so much of it was a perfect adaptation.

And then so much of it wasn’t. The stupid sound weapons, the rain at the end, Sting. If you just took everything it got right and subtracted everything it got wrong you’d have a perfect starting point.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
One mission of Dune 2000 takes place next to the polar ice caps with an ice wall as the northern border of the map, this image isn't from the final game where the ice is more brown and covered in dust/sand.

And concept art for the game had 3 variations of an ornithopter for each faction, only the atredies one was made for the final cutscene where they bomb the emperors pyramid.