Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What I always read about is how more and more power was concentrated into the hands of local wealthy landowners, with most potential soldiers locked down as laborers under people who would rather keep their personal operations going than rush to the defense of some jerk in a fancy cape. On paper, defense of the empire sounds like an important thing, but it's also the emperor's job, and if you're not vying for imperial brownie points, you probably stand more to gain from keeping your head down.

There was also a paper someone over in the milhist thread wrote on the US military and how most army recruits came from the vicinity of US military bases, I wouldn't be surprised if a similar effect was happening here. Nobody wants to sign up to go to some border backwater to do some job they've never seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

justinian wasn't the first guy to try to pull off the 'empire strikes back' thing. emperor zeno tried to reconquer africa from the vandals in the 5th century; he just sent a historically gigantic fuckup named Basiliscus, who also almost made my list of candidates for worst emperor because he managed to gently caress up succeeding at a coup; zeno just came back and murdered Basiliscus' whole family. he did last for twenty (20) months though which i guess is pretty good by lovely byzantine usurper standards

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

What I always read about is how more and more power was concentrated into the hands of local wealthy landowners, with most potential soldiers locked down as laborers under people who would rather keep their personal operations going than rush to the defense of some jerk in a fancy cape. On paper, defense of the empire sounds like an important thing, but it's also the emperor's job, and if you're not vying for imperial brownie points, you probably stand more to gain from keeping your head down.

There was also a paper someone over in the milhist thread wrote on the US military and how most army recruits came from the vicinity of US military bases, I wouldn't be surprised if a similar effect was happening here. Nobody wants to sign up to go to some border backwater to do some job they've never seen.

I definitely remember reading that that was totally the case, with lots of people in particular recruited along the Rhine frontier and the Illyrian Danube.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a big question that nobody has come up with a satisfactory answer for. One of the major questions of late antiquity studies.

The old explanation that now we know isn't true is there weren't enough Romans to fight. Another classic simple explanation is the Romans had no means to draft soldiers and there was no incentive strong enough to get citizens to sign up in large numbers. This hypothesis has been questioned quite thoroughly lately and there's no consensus.

The evidence has pointed to the empire of the 300s being an exceptionally strong state and the big "What's the deal with gravity?" type of question for historians of the period is what the hell happened to the western empire. All the old ideas that were accepted since at least the time of Gibbon seem to be provably wrong from better recent archaeology.

It some ways its sort of weird an surprising that any empire should fall at all. I mean if like we were just to compare Rome with its enemies in the fifth century, in terms of GDP, population, military doctrine, it blows all the barbarians put together out of the park. Big empires like Rome or China or the Mughals should have everything they need to defeat all of their enemies. When it comes down to it there really weren't THAT many Goths roaming around the west mucking everything up for Rome, it shouldn't have been an insoluble problem.

For these empires to fall something has to change where they can't utilize their resources anymore. There's a kind of path dependence at play, whereby past decisions trap actors into continuing policies that in retrospect are obviously self-destructive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With how many administrative structures and influences remained intact once definitively non-Roman overlords finally took over and retained their power, it's not so much that the empire fell as it dissolved, and the barbarian tide over Europe was made saline with Roman salt. There just stopped being a head honcho that everyone listened to. Well, except for the guy with a big hat in Rome that people listened to for the next couple hundred years. But there wasn't an emperor. Except for those weirdoes who started going around calling themselves emperor with the backing of the guy with the hat.

Either way, the people not directly involved with the imperial court would probably have seen less difference, especially since the changes practically happened over centuries. In the end, a state like the Roman Empire's head administration is only really justified by its ability to protect itself. The culture lived on past the state, and even overpowered a lot of the new foreign rulers. The religion had long since spread past the empire and cloistered itself away from trouble. Commerce slowed and scholarship stagnated, but it wasn't the passing of the emperor that decided that.

Which kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth at the idea of the immortal city of Constantinople where the imperial apparatus can ever retreat to and wait out assaults. Must've really sucked to be in an outlying territory where the invaders stomp all over you until they get tired and your itinerant masters come back to take a hold of you.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

oystertoadfish posted:

justinian wasn't the first guy to try to pull off the 'empire strikes back' thing. emperor zeno tried to reconquer africa from the vandals in the 5th century; he just sent a historically gigantic fuckup named Basiliscus, who also almost made my list of candidates for worst emperor because he managed to gently caress up succeeding at a coup; zeno just came back and murdered Basiliscus' whole family. he did last for twenty (20) months though which i guess is pretty good by lovely byzantine usurper standards

This is slander against Zeno! The Africa fuckup was launched by his predecessor Leo. Basilicus was his (Leo's) brother in law which explains why he was put in charge and not executed.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 26, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t even want to know their reasoning on this; do I?

The official definition is the country needs to be relatively compact (i can't remember why exactly) and close to ethnically homogeneous as possible. Like, Malaysia wouldn't count as one not just because it has several large ethnic groups but also because it is fragmented geographically. Looking online I see some examples saying the countries need to be small but nothing about prorupted states or fragmented states.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GoutPatrol posted:

:eng101: As a AP Human Geography teacher, you would get no credit if you use the US as an example. I think there is a direct reference to that in past short-answer examples on their website.

No credit for using the U.S. as an example of a nation‐state?

That’s harsh.

Sure, they should have used “Japan” as an example no one is going to argue against, but still.

The U.S. isn’t clearly not a nation state.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoutPatrol posted:

The official definition is the country needs to be relatively compact (i can't remember why exactly) and close to ethnically homogeneous as possible. Like, Malaysia wouldn't count as one not just because it has several large ethnic groups but also because it is fragmented geographically. Looking online I see some examples saying the countries need to be small but nothing about prorupted states or fragmented states.

Oh my bad, I read what you said as them not giving credit for the US as a non-nation state. Like, the AP was insisting the US is a nation-state for some reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Platystemon posted:

No credit for using the U.S. as an example of a nation‐state?

That’s harsh.

Sure, they should have used “Japan” as an example no one is going to argue against, but still.

The U.S. isn’t clearly not a nation state.

The US isn’t a nation state.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder, of the 193 UN member states, how many would be credited as “nation‐states”?

How many of those aren’t either in Europe or on small islands?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 26, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cyrano4747 posted:

The US isn’t a nation state.

It was before communist agents suppressed the Pledge of Allegiance.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I wonder, of the 193 UN member states, how many would be credited as “nation‐states”?

How many of those aren’t either in European or on small islands?

It should be noted that the entire concept of the nation-state basically comes from a specific moment in specifically European history when people were really hung up on the idea of historically immutable “nations” of people having their own natural homelands. This is something that Europeans of previous eras would have thought was not immediately obvious in the same way. Even among 19th C Europeans what, precisely, the ethnic “nation” was was a huge, contentious issue. Lots of people in Munich ca 1870 would have objected to the notion that they were the same nation of people as the assholes in Berlin. The post-1792 French government went to a LOT of effort to surprise alternative, local identities.

This also plays directly into why they chose to divide up their colonial holdings as they do, because spreading ethnic and cultural groups across administrative boundaries is some awesome old school “divide and conquer.”d

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 26, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe it’s a fair question in the context of the curriculum.

It would be a gotcha question on a general history exam.

With leadership like this, it could go either way:

quote:

A few years ago, the leaders of the College Board, the folks who administer the SAT college entrance exam, asked themselves a radical question: Of all the skills and knowledge that we test young people for that we know are correlated with success in college and in life, which is the most important? Their answer: the ability to master “two codes” — computer science and the U.S. Constitution.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Justinian wanted Italy and he wrecked it and he got it. Direct Roman authority over Rome lasted till the end of the Exarchate of Ravenna almost two centuries after his death. What part of the Empire would he have had to "reconquer" for you personally to consider it reassembled?

All of it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

With how many administrative structures and influences remained intact once definitively non-Roman overlords finally took over and retained their power, it's not so much that the empire fell as it dissolved, and the barbarian tide over Europe was made saline with Roman salt. There just stopped being a head honcho that everyone listened to. Well, except for the guy with a big hat in Rome that people listened to for the next couple hundred years. But there wasn't an emperor. Except for those weirdoes who started going around calling themselves emperor with the backing of the guy with the hat.

Either way, the people not directly involved with the imperial court would probably have seen less difference, especially since the changes practically happened over centuries. In the end, a state like the Roman Empire's head administration is only really justified by its ability to protect itself. The culture lived on past the state, and even overpowered a lot of the new foreign rulers. The religion had long since spread past the empire and cloistered itself away from trouble. Commerce slowed and scholarship stagnated, but it wasn't the passing of the emperor that decided that.

Which kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth at the idea of the immortal city of Constantinople where the imperial apparatus can ever retreat to and wait out assaults. Must've really sucked to be in an outlying territory where the invaders stomp all over you until they get tired and your itinerant masters come back to take a hold of you.

drat well put

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n03/james-davidson/at-the-ashmolean

Kinda interesting article about Hadrian's crush (possibly). Apparently this dude Antinous was part of Hadrian's retinue and died when he was like 18. After that he got deified, had statues and coins made of him all through the roman empire that all look pretty much the same, had a city in Egypt named after him and got a temple built in his honour in Greece. After Hadrian died this all stopped. Not very subtle if you ask me.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
you guys know greek and latin, right? I'm writing a sci-fi story and i need scientific names for some post-human mutants. They're all going to be Homo sapiens, but i need their sub species name. I need one for fallout style ghouls, one for an aquatic or amphibious species, one for a chud species, one for a super mutant like species, and one for a degenerate species.

Mycroft Holmes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 26, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Syncopated posted:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n03/james-davidson/at-the-ashmolean

Kinda interesting article about Hadrian's crush (possibly). Apparently this dude Antinous was part of Hadrian's retinue and died when he was like 18. After that he got deified, had statues and coins made of him all through the roman empire that all look pretty much the same, had a city in Egypt named after him and got a temple built in his honour in Greece. After Hadrian died this all stopped. Not very subtle if you ask me.
that's called not moving on with your life, hadrian

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1100278823172530177

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mycroft Holmes posted:

you guys know greek and latin, right? I'm writing a sci-fi story and i need scientific names for some post-human mutants. They're all going to be Homo sapiens, but i need their sub species name. I need one for fallout style ghouls, one for an aquatic or amphibious species, one for a chud species, one for a super mutant like species, and one for a degenerate species.
scientific names are the way they are, sometimes because of obvious characteristics of the thing named, sometimes for what look like random or unimportant reasons (to you, not to the people who picked it), sometimes to honor either the discoverer or someone they knew, and sometimes for in-jokes. this process has been going on for more than 300 years so that's a lot of injokes. it's like how the actual arabic word for alcohol sounds nothing like al-khol because we adopted that word to mean "powders obtained by sublimation" and after that "anything obtained by distillation" and after THAT "alcohol obtained by distillation." or like how weird court-french got, like our legal terms might be french but they're a weird inbred little incomprehensible french

pick what the names will name first and then ask us (or the religionthread)

you can find people talking about actual scientific names in posts like this on Twitter
https://twitter.com/lindsaycgaskins/status/1100015806941941761

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 26, 2019

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Huh just going from wiktionary.org squalus might be related to "whale". That's kinda cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s pretty accurate they got spines like gently caress. Owe.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
ok

1. the ghoul should be named after roentgen, the measurement of radiation exposure
2. the aquatic humanoid should be named after Creature from the Black Lagoon
3. the underground species should be named "subterrainious"
4. the super-mutant should be named something to due with steroids or hgh
5. Is "necrophagi" proper latin/greek?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ok

1. the ghoul should be named after roentgen, the measurement of radiation exposure
2. the aquatic humanoid should be named after Creature from the Black Lagoon
3. the underground species should be named "subterrainious"
4. the super-mutant should be named something to due with steroids or hgh
5. Is "necrophagi" proper latin/greek?

You can use Google Translate to get about 95% of the way there, unless you intend to market the story to a Classics audience.

Homo sapien radialem
Homo sapien lacuna
Homo sapien subterraneis
Homo sapien moleculas
Homo sapien necrophage

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

necrophagi is good latinized Greek, singular would be necrophagus.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ed Sheeran is the reincarnation of Nero.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GUNS posted:

you can find people talking about actual scientific names in posts like this on Twitter
https://twitter.com/lindsaycgaskins/status/1100015806941941761

I want to know why they called it spiny. They're so smooth.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

or like how weird court-french got, like our legal terms might be french but they're a weird inbred little incomprehensible french

'Court French' is a little ambiguous in this context :sun:

The fact that Law French derived from Norman French rather than Parisian probably doesnt help, mind you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

'Court French' is a little ambiguous in this context :sun:

The fact that Law French derived from Norman French rather than Parisian probably doesnt help, mind you.
my point is i freaking love it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PittTheElder posted:

I want to know why they called it spiny. They're so smooth.

If you look at the front of each fin there’s a wicked sharp spine on them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Anyone who wants to watch an historical mystery/drama/black comedy about the idiosyncrasies of French law and language in the 1400's check out a fun obscure movie from 1993 called The Hour of the Pig.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Anyone who wants to watch an historical mystery/drama/black comedy about the idiosyncrasies of French law and language in the 1400's check out a fun obscure movie from 1993 called The Hour of the Pig.

As it happens, Law French has nothing to do with French law :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

feedmegin posted:

As it happens, Law French has nothing to do with French law :)

True! But I'm always glad to be reminded that movie exists and always looking for the slightest excuse to recommend it.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

From a few pages back, but

Cessna posted:

Most of my 17th c. military history knowledge comes from the English Civil War - yeah, I know, bad cavalry island - but even though I'm not a 30 Years' War type I get the fact that things didn't work like, say, the Napoleonic Wars.

Wait, I haven't heard this before. Why was English cavalry bad? Bad horse source? Lack of training riders from birth ala nomadic tribes like the Mongols/Huns?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"Bad Cav Island" is a milhist thread meme referring to england just being really bad at cavalry. The horses were really good, apparently, but everything about using them was miles behind the rest of western europe mostly due to having a whole lot less practice at actually doing it compared to their continental peers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Horses, like most animals, are inherently repelled and frightened by the mere presence of the insidious Anglo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Horses, like most animals, are inherently repelled and frightened by the mere presence of the insidious Anglo.

Ours was still better than the Scots', mind.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Weave in a space battle station named Catullus 16

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Once you're down to the subspecies level you're probably going to want something that's descriptive of their habitat -

Eremus (wasteland/wilderness) for the ghouls
Littoria (swamp/estuary) for the aquatic ones
Cloaca (sewer/cesspit) for the chuds
???? for the super mutant one - are they just big strong brutes, are they mutant genuises? Basically Kryptonians?
Congeria (disorganized, thrown-together piles of junk) for the degenerate species (i.e. they live in shantytowns that look like scrapheaps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmegin posted:

Ours was still better than the Scots', mind.

Riding a horse in a kilt pulverizes the old bawbag.