Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Marche Games Chat: He was right you know

oddium posted:

this is what i remember of the hollow knight plot. may not be 100% all the bugs used to be primitive and instinctual and there was a lady moth goddess with an omnipresent influence that all bugs can feel. then a super powerful demigod comes called the white king. he may have been a giant worm at some point

anyway he gives the bugs sentience and they all love him. i don’t remember if the moth lady is sealed at this point but she’s forgotten and it makes her mad so her influence starts corrupting bugs. this is the orange in their eyes and p much anything orange.

the white king starts making vessels to seal the moth in until he makes the perfect one (dramatic irony) who is the Hollow Knight. three powerful bugs agree to give their lives to become dreamers to help seal the moth. the spider dreamer only agrees if the king gives her a child. (the child shows up a few times)

the king messed up the hollow knight by giving him feelings or something so after a long time he too starts to be corrupted. and then the game starts with you, another vessel who climbed out of the graveyard

Yeah this is pretty much it worth noting that the King was basically the nicest dude there was and the reason the original hollow knight got feelings that made them eventually fail as a seal was because the king couldn't stop himself treating them like his own child, despite everyone else being like "No keep it locked up in a room til we need it, if it develops any sort of feeling this won't work, stop bringing it to dinner, don't give it a name, STOP PLAYING CATCH WITH THE SACRIFICIAL VESSEL". This was also implied to be what happened with Hornet, though Herrah did so deliberately.

Also there's an implication that the reason all these gods keep showing up is that the game takes place on the corpse of even bigger gods and this whole thing is like ecological succession for decomposing gods. Which as a botanist is legit one of the coolest fantasy concepts I've ever encountered.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Frank Klepacki's Hell March Chat: DIE POSTEN, LEGT AN

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Ghost Survivors is hard but I'm gonna master this poo poo. I like that a run is only about 15-20 minutes

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

LawfulWaffle posted:

Ghost Survivors is hard but I'm gonna master this poo poo. I like that a run is only about 15-20 minutes

They are pretty neat, I need to give it another shot. I got what I assume is near the end of the one with the mayor's daughter and just ran out of resources. It's nice that it doesn't have a timer like Hunk's, makes it feel like more of a puzzle than a sprint.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I really liked the aspect of Hollow Knight that whatever is driving bugs crazy is also what allows bug civilization to exist in the first place and Hallownest occupies a sort of Goldilocks zone around it. Get too close and it burns them out but go too far out and their minds fade away. And the kingdom fell because something is causing the balance of energy to shift and the place where it is isn't right any more.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are the bugs bug-sized?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Are the bugs bug-sized?

Yes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually they're planet sized

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Their grand kingdom is the size of my bathroom sink, lol good job idiots

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hollow Knight would gently caress you up

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

help i bought an antfarm and when they were finished digging the tunnels it started turning orange everywhere

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I bought an antfarm and had to wait for the ants to come in the mail, then they all died after a little while

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

In Hollow Knight I got the thing that's in two parts that's probably the true ending macguffin but now I have no idea what it unlocks because I was a dumb dumb who never pinned suspicious locations

I also have some sort of blue lock I can't open and two simple locks I lack keys for but that's probably not far off of the total amount of stuff I don't have because I got the collector's map and went collecting

e: I am open to cryptic hints at this point I don't want to go back to every dead end in the game

Yeah the final step is unlocking the true ending is very poorly hinted at. I think the White Lady alludes to what you need to do if you go back and talk to her but it's really vague.

As for the two Simple Key locks, I know there is a key held by a corpse in the Ancient Basin and there's also one in a secret area off of the Colosseum, those are the only two hidden ones that I remember off the top of my head.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Burger Knight

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the knight should show up in the town in shovel knight and be like 2 pixels tall, and also it should have a clearer identifier

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish that there could be shovel knight campaigns for all of the knights even though that's highly impractical because they spend so much time making the additional campaigns that they'd basically be working on content for shovel knight for over a decade just to do something like playing through the story as treasure knight

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tinker knight campaign where every boss fight works like impact from mystical ninja

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm just gonna name next month's thread "Hell March (chat thread)"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

axelblaze posted:

Good choice imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axelblaze posted:

Hell March: Post & Conquer

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm a Marchcanical man.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

marche game chat thread + ffta general discussion

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Marchus Fenix game chat thread + gears of war lore speculation

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

oddium posted:

marche game chat thread + ffta general discussion

gently caress I wanted to post this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you can still post it if you want

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sekiro: Shadows See Everything Twice (and also march chat thread)

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Has anyone called this game called Hollow Knight? Looks interesting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Hell March: Post & Conquer

Comment & Conquer

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
To light a candle is to cast a Sekiro

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Over There posted:

Has anyone called this game called Hollow Knight? Looks interesting.

yeah, they always pick up but then it's just creepy breathing into the receiver :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i won’t be silent anymore: hollow knight is good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

March Thread: The Shadow Comes Twice, And So Have I

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Marchus Fenix game chat thread + gears of war lore speculation

when is gears 5 coming out microsoft the world needs to know

May 8, 2006

oddium posted:

you can still post it if you want

Marche Chat Thread

Okay so I also have a thread question for this morning: what's an online game behavior that people do that bugs you even though it's at most vaguely impolite?

For example, it annoys me in mmos when people send party invite without sending a message first. In general the people are nice enough and just want to team up but it just seems rude, like changing lanes without signalling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

Marche Chat Thread

Okay so I also have a thread question for this morning: what's an online game behavior that people do that bugs you even though it's at most vaguely impolite?

For example, it annoys me in mmos when people send party invite without sending a message first. In general the people are nice enough and just want to team up but it just seems rude, like changing lanes without signalling.

The shrug emoji and all its variants are for cowards.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Comment & Conquer

:hmmyes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

:aaaaa:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Marche Chat Thread

When opponents don't give you a best of three in Smash even though you won the first game and gave them the rematch

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1100339081697841152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

lol