Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think this is the best ep they've done since A Life in the Day.

Great ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

qbert posted:

I think this is the best ep they've done since A Life in the Day.

Great ending.

it's good that the writers realized they shouldn't just reset to the status quo like any other episodic show would after doing a 'live a lifetime in a day via magic' episode

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Peaches and plums motherfuckers.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
That episode was incredible.

I don't recall anything special happening, but where the gently caress has Kady been?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

ThePagey posted:

That episode was incredible.

I don't recall anything special happening, but where the gently caress has Kady been?

One of the writers was on Physical Kids Weekly said she’s off doing “something” that will be revealed in a future episode.

Also, peaches and plums motherfucker. :unsmith:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Have I missed any intersection of The Library and Darth Elliot? Dialogue about him or anybody working parallel to, or counter to the physical kids? Because he seems like exactly the sort of thing that they should be concerned about if they're going to be keeping their thumb on who can do what kind of magic.

I ask, not just from a nerdy "Why didn't they fly Eagles to Mordor" angle, but because it's starting to needle me that the bigger stories this season seem to be operating independently of each other and that seems like something that would normally be intentional.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

In the first several episodes of the season, Fogg makes reference to it to the head librarian. She doesn’t believe him that the monster is a thing, nor that it’s specifically after the magicians that are then still under disguise.

I don’t think it’s come up since.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just getting caught up on this season and watched episode 4 ( the one where Josh goes through the quickening). Who was the Isaac guy he was talking about who infected him?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just getting caught up on this season and watched episode 4 ( the one where Josh goes through the quickening). Who was the Isaac guy he was talking about who infected him?

Josh got the werewolf std when he and Julia went to Baccus's party back in season 2.
Issac is Josh's secret identity when they were all in witness relocation, he was an Uber driver with a big piece.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Like, are you even watching the screen when you turn this show on? The first two goddamned episodes were about their witness protection personas!

I swear to gently caress, how do goons function?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol my face is buried in my phone 95%of the time I’m watching tv. For instance, I had to wiki what the heck was up when Elliot kissed Quentin.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BUT I DON"T UNDERSTAND WHAT"S GOING ON THIS SHOW IS TOO HARD TO FOLLOW

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Lol my face is buried in my phone 95%of the time I’m watching tv. For instance, I had to wiki what the heck was up when Elliot kissed Quentin.

Okay I get the Isaac thing because gently caress if I can remember temporary names, but how do you black out the best episode of the series?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Have I missed any intersection of The Library and Darth Elliot? Dialogue about him or anybody working parallel to, or counter to the physical kids? Because he seems like exactly the sort of thing that they should be concerned about if they're going to be keeping their thumb on who can do what kind of magic.

I ask, not just from a nerdy "Why didn't they fly Eagles to Mordor" angle, but because it's starting to needle me that the bigger stories this season seem to be operating independently of each other and that seems like something that would normally be intentional.

They're connected, but they've not made it explicit yet.

The creature hates the gods of the Greek pantheon (Iris, Baccus, etc.) and the Hades is a silent partner in the running of the Library, and Cassandra (or some god-like equivalent) works in their basement.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why even bother having the TV on then? You have to *watch* this show or you will get lost.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I had to wiki what the heck was up when Elliot kissed Quentin.
I'm ashamed of you. I don't know you, but just being aware that someone like you exists gives me so much shame

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Can't believe no one's mentioned how fantastic Margo was in this episode.

mycomancy posted:

Like, are you even watching the screen when you turn this show on? The first two goddamned episodes were about their witness protection personas!

I swear to gently caress, how do goons function?
Oh no, someone is enjoying a thing in a way that I personally do not enjoy it. This is the worst thing that has ever happened!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Oh no, someone is enjoying a thing in a way that I personally do not enjoy it. This is the worst thing that has ever happened!

If you're missing entire episodes worth of content due to fondle-slabbing, then post about your confusion because you weren't paying attention, I'd argue that you aren't enjoying anything.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tiggum posted:

You are really obnoxious.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I forgot alt Josh's name within seconds of it being introduced too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I forgot alt Josh's name within seconds of it being introduced too.

He's the only one I can remember, but only because they said it about fifty times.

I'd probably recognise Penny 23's alt name if I heard it, but that's probably it. It wasn't a very significant plotline.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Contextually it made plenty of sense is the thing, who cares if you don't remember the specific name when the context is "whoever you gently caress rn wolfs up and like eight seconds ago you were someone else"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the line was like "I've told everyone, but who knows what Isaac did?" I definitely had a second of "wait is Isaac how Josh got it? Wait how did Josh get it?" before remembering Isaac was his alternate identity's name. I remembered the cage and everything but not the exact details

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Also did Fogg just make up Josh's alt because Uber-driver...with a monster-schlong seems more up his alley than a stand alone comic book short.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I think the line was like "I've told everyone, but who knows what Isaac did?" I definitely had a second of "wait is Isaac how Josh got it? Wait how did Josh get it?" before remembering Isaac was his alternate identity's name. I remembered the cage and everything but not the exact details

Yeah, it was pretty confusing especially given that he was basically talking about himself in third person. "Who knows what I did when I was Issac" would have been a much clearer way to phrase it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just caught up and drat, I have to say I'm still bummed that Josh got talked into ganking Baccarus like that. That seemed like a straight up villain move.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Successfully held back the tears when Elliot was pouring his heart out to the memory of Q.

drat I love this show.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just caught up and drat, I have to say I'm still bummed that Josh got talked into ganking Baccarus like that. That seemed like a straight up villain move.

At least they made a case for it earlier in the season with him leaving a trail of bodies in his wake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man. This show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At least they made a case for it earlier in the season with him leaving a trail of bodies in his wake.

I'd agree if it wasn't an accident with him just trying to share the buzz. Plus it sounds like his entire cohort offed themselves when he died so I guess that evens it up.

I'm used to morally dubious decisions, just not from Josh.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd agree if it wasn't an accident with him just trying to share the buzz. Plus it sounds like his entire cohort offed themselves when he died so I guess that evens it up.

I'm used to morally dubious decisions, just not from Josh.

To be fair, I don't really Josh would have done it at all if the circumstances were even slightly different. I don't really think the show tries to do anything to justify the god-killing as explicitly good. If Josh's alternative was anything else besides get himself and all of his friends violently killed, pretty sure he'd take that instead. He does try to nope out once, even with that.

It's primarily why I think he was so steadfast in the Quickening situation. Josh is a pretty overtly good dude, and given that he's probably reached his willingness to kill threshold for one lifetime (ready to see that get tested again, though), it all makes sense to me.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

So here’s a question, if magic was cut off when Ember and Umber died, why hasn’t the recent spate of gods dying triggered a similar response? Is the current thing just permanently propped open so the universal plumber can’t turn off the spigot?

It was supposed to be a foolproof backdoor, right?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

crazypeltast52 posted:

So here’s a question, if magic was cut off when Ember and Umber died, why hasn’t the recent spate of gods dying triggered a similar response? Is the current thing just permanently propped open so the universal plumber can’t turn off the spigot?

It was supposed to be a foolproof backdoor, right?

My understanding wasn't so much that they turned magic off because some gods died, but more because some lowly humans decided to kill those gods instead. That's without considering the alternative mechanical problems, like maybe they can't turn it off at the source anymore. Who knows.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ThePagey posted:

My understanding wasn't so much that they turned magic off because some gods died, but more because some lowly humans decided to kill those gods instead. That's without considering the alternative mechanical problems, like maybe they can't turn it off at the source anymore. Who knows.

The Gods are all hiding from the monster too, so maybe nobody wants to expose themselves long enough hit the faucet

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ThePagey posted:

Yeah, they allow humans to have magic and turned it off when they used it to kill a god. The monster thing won't be affected by humans being prevented from using magic. It was very much a specific "ok, you humans can't be trusted with this so we're confiscating it" situation.

Maybe the gods would have acted against humans for turning it back on again if it wasn't for the monster making them all run scared.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I feel like The Monster getting out is a test of the new gods and the humans (and any other intelligent species) on the part of the old gods and not just an unanticipated side effect.

Could the humans turn magic back on without releasing it? If they release it, can they and they new gods work together to contain it? Etc.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like The Monster getting caged is going to end up being the equivalent of the old gods putting it in the corner for a few millennia to think about what it did. They’re pretty nonchalant about their kids actually dying, since even turning off magic was talked about as a temporary punishment for humanity killing Ember and Umber.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's just an arsehole, and it'll have turned out to have made a deal to give up its forgotten knowledge in the first place.

Though the fact that all those organs somehow make up a body kinda puts the kibosh on that one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bussamove posted:

I feel like The Monster getting caged is going to end up being the equivalent of the old gods putting it in the corner for a few millennia to think about what it did. They’re pretty nonchalant about their kids actually dying, since even turning off magic was talked about as a temporary punishment for humanity killing Ember and Umber.

My theory is this: The Monster wasn't evil. The new Gods somehow tore him apart for power and caged the rest.

Yes, I know, they keep screaming how he was evil and he's totally evil now but to borrow a crazy AI concept, it's like pulling the morality and ethics program from SHODAN or GLADoS. Something they took from him made him into this broken thing that just murders everyone with the mind of a child.

It could make an interesting resolution to make it sort of debatable that the right thing to do is help him murder the Gods, or a cool scene where after he gets his mind back he looks in horror at everything he's become. Or maybe he was a friend of Mortals, but an enemy of the Gods - the Gods called him 'The Monster' the way vampires might call Blade a serial killer before tearing his body apart and leaving him this shell.

I could be ENTIRELY wrong, but it's just a spitball theory I've had, combined with the way the show takes obvious things and often flips them around.

ED: Going one further I suspect it will be revealed that he's a Titan. Fun fact, everyone knows about the infamous Titan Saturn eating his children, but less people know that despite that gory image he later had the children beaten out of him, vomited them up and .. uh.. they were fine. Maybe it's his bit about eating the others that made me think this way.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think a Titan is a good probability, maybe not in the Greek sense, but something similar in whatever creation mythology the show is running with. Most mythologies have a component of killing a progenitor and using his body to create the worlds and first beings.

Edit: Really dropping the nerd references this week.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 28, 2019