Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i do think undertale is a game where you have to play it blind to get the full experience, which makes it a bit better than something like pillars of eternity 2: deadfire where for the whole time i was thinking the story and the game of it were clashing and i might've liked it more as a novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wouldn't call Undertale good as much as I would call it effective

Its incredibly well told but in the end it doesn't really signify anything other than being a charming story

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think he might be Guy Mann.

If it were Guy Mann he’d be on the other side of the argument for the sake of contrariness, and he would have said “pissbabies” about 8 times by now.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Undertale was written by a child, in that its concerns (Will people like me even though I have different artistic tastes? How does the way I play video games reflect upon me as a person?) are those of a child. Those concerns are certainly well evoked, but they're limited to a childlike solipsism. The only thing that really matters in Undertale are how the various characters relate to your avatar, and even those relationships are confined to those a child might have: friends and parents. That being said, I have high hopes for Deltarune now that Toby Fox has matured, and Chapter 1 has some interesting signs of progress.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Undertale alone dares to ask the age old question: is anime real?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Undertale is bad. There's nothing in it you can't get out of a children's book.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Undertale is bad. There's nothing in it you can't get out of a children's book.

Did you beat Sans on Genocide mode you loving scrub?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Interrogation room, lit by single desklamp.

"Did you even finish Super Mario Bros 3, you scumbag?"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
thanks for tuning into my game criticism channel where i apply ACADEMIC CRITICISM to video games make sure to smash that like and ring that bell and thrust into that subscribe! over the next three hours i will be talking about the idea that Super Mario Bros. 3 is actually a stage play

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
make sure to donate to my patreon for subscriber-only videos where i untangle the hidden meaning behind more of gaming's masterpieces. subscribing at the $5 and above tier is the only way to view my 6-hour series Mario 2: Was It All a Dream?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Did you know that Pokémon is all a coma dream? Pretty hosed-up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I'm hearing is, I should move this thread to Games

edit: or perhaps QCS

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 26, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hieronymous are you so desperate to tear down the last bulwark

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hieronymous are you so desperate to tear down the last bulwark

I just want discussion in this forum to be at least mostly about books, most of the time. :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just want discussion in this forum to be at least mostly about books, most of the time. :shrug:

*writes "BotL post" on a stick*

*throws it*

Go get it boy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

What is this "death of the author" thing anyway? I've seen it referenced several times here and just came across it on a book I'm reading on French Theory and it seems important

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Literally Google death of the author and the pdf will come up

The essay is actually titled that

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
We don't really know Barthes's intentions with that one.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
hieronymous just chill. let people talk about what they want. drat dude

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

What is this "death of the author" thing anyway? I've seen it referenced several times here and just came across it on a book I'm reading on French Theory and it seems important

im gonna link you to it because im a kinder, better person than mel

for further reading you might be interested in wimsatt & beardsley's intentional fallacy

e: someone post that .jpg of the guy discussing the death of the author and concluding that "authors are here to stay"

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 26, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Look I was on my phone and for some reason linking a pdf from google on a samsung gives a crazy long url and I wasn't sure how to fix it

fukker

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If the thread was moved to Games, would BotL have to say something positive about every game?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lofi posted:

If the thread was moved to Games, would BotL have to say something positive about every game?

Not like it would be hard

Call of Duty takes "empty fascist propaganda" as a compliment

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

lofi posted:

The mod challenge specifically exempts this thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i will say something positive about penis

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
penis is good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh poo poo forget hieronymous, botl just made an enemy of zardoz

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

:dong:

for further reading you might be interested in wimsatt & beardsley's intentional fallacy

e: someone post that .jpg of the guy discussing the death of the author and concluding that "authors are here to stay"

Poor misunderstood Mel. Yeah I could have just googled but this is a discussion forum and I eternally lazy.

Just read both the essay and the wiki for the idea and it makes sense, but I can also see how the idea would generate a reactionary response. Queue Camille Paglia: "Most pernicious of French imports [into American academia] is the notion that there is no person behind a text. Is there anything more affected, aggressive, and relentlessly concrete than a Parisian intellectual behind his/her turgid text? The Parisian is a provincial when he pretends to speak for the universe."

I'm not a huge fan of hers.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

[quote="Bilirubin"

Bilirubin posted:

Is there anything more affected, aggressive, and relentlessly concrete than a Parisian intellectual behind his/her turgid text? The Parisian is a provincial when he pretends to speak for the universe.

This is my new favorite quote about the French Academie

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
o pernicious academe, why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? for knowest thou not that thine own name is French?!!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i often find myself agreeing with Harold Bloom on these matters, which is a great source of personal embarrassment considering the man is a big fat loving moron

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
She's right about French intellectuals but flagrantly wrong about the actual point she's making.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
to get a little back on topic, BotL what are your thoughts on Titus Alone?
i was enchanted by Titus Groan and Gormenghast and i'm trying to decide whether to finish out the trilogy since it's apparently quite different and some suggest very inferior to the first two.

side note: attempts to communicate to friends why i like these books have yielded poor results :geno:

edit: i feel safe assuming Titus Awakes is trash

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

She's right about French intellectuals but flagrantly wrong about the actual point she's making.

I can't say that I'm very familiar with Paglia but American academics who poo poo on French intellectuals for their misplaced sense of cultural exceptionalism and pretensions to speak for all of humanity are pretty funny

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's an incredibly hypocritical quote if you have any familiarity with her at all.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bonaventure posted:

i often find myself agreeing with Harold Bloom on these matters, which is a great source of personal embarrassment considering the man is a big fat loving moron

whats bloom say about this

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

whats bloom say about this

[wet sputtering] the French, the damned French! are the school of resentment and Barthes is the worst of them! I would grind Stephen King's bones to bake my bread, euhhhm, the ephebe experiences agon in contemplation of the illustrious dead, euhhmm, oh, to be an ephebe to Shakespeare, to have the bard's lovely cock in my pert little rear end, there would be no misreading my love for him; but this is precisely why i am not a poet, for I dare not correct the master, euhhm! drat the French!!!!!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
My favorite part of Undertale is when the skeleton thinks you're trying to date him lol.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Bonaventure posted:

[wet sputtering] the French, the damned French! are the school of resentment and Barthes is the worst of them! I would grind Stephen King's bones to bake my bread, euhhhm, the ephebe experiences agon in contemplation of the illustrious dead, euhhmm, oh, to be an ephebe to Shakespeare, to have the bard's lovely cock in my pert little rear end, there would be no misreading my love for him; but this is precisely why i am not a poet, for I dare not correct the master, euhhm! drat the French!!!!!

:gb2gbs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bonaventure posted:

to get a little back on topic, BotL what are your thoughts on Titus Alone?
i was enchanted by Titus Groan and Gormenghast and i'm trying to decide whether to finish out the trilogy since it's apparently quite different and some suggest very inferior to the first two.

side note: attempts to communicate to friends why i like these books have yielded poor results :geno:

edit: i feel safe assuming Titus Awakes is trash

penis

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)