Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm looking for recommendations on an iPad note-taking app. I'd really love something like the Microsoft Courier concept from a few years ago, where you can combine typed text, handwritten notes and (crucially) clippings from a web browser into a "scrapbook" style format. Huge bonus points if it can sync across multiple devices and invite different people, but that's not a dealbreaker.

I'm thinking of use cases like planning ideas for house improvements (browsing for furniture ideas in Safari and saving snippets along with a link back to the web site), wedding planning (venues and caterers along with notes about them), sketching garden redesigns, etc. Basically I've suddenly become an adult, but want to play with my shiny new iPad Pro + Pencil along the way.

Any ideas? I've searched for note-taking app recommendations but not found anything that really hits the mark on clipping from websites in a nice UI (and lots of these recommendation lists are years old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Froist posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on an iPad note-taking app. I'd really love something like the Microsoft Courier concept from a few years ago, where you can combine typed text, handwritten notes and (crucially) clippings from a web browser into a "scrapbook" style format. Huge bonus points if it can sync across multiple devices and invite different people, but that's not a dealbreaker.

I'm thinking of use cases like planning ideas for house improvements (browsing for furniture ideas in Safari and saving snippets along with a link back to the web site), wedding planning (venues and caterers along with notes about them), sketching garden redesigns, etc. Basically I've suddenly become an adult, but want to play with my shiny new iPad Pro + Pencil along the way.

Any ideas? I've searched for note-taking app recommendations but not found anything that really hits the mark on clipping from websites in a nice UI (and lots of these recommendation lists are years old).

Definitely check out microsoft OneNote.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

Definitely check out microsoft OneNote.

I tried this (as my fiancé uses it heavily for work anyway) and it was a shitshow of UI bugs that put me off within a couple of minutes. But yeah, I should give it another fairer shot.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I like Notability the best.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Froist posted:

I tried this (as my fiancé uses it heavily for work anyway) and it was a shitshow of UI bugs that put me off within a couple of minutes. But yeah, I should give it another fairer shot.

It’s still like that

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Froist posted:

They cleaned it up when going to the 2016 version so you may like it better now. I prefer the older version on PC (the new one hides a lot of the functionality I find) but the iOS version is much improved imo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OneNote is a no go for me since custom tagging is still mysteriously not part of OneNote for non-Windows versions. (Not sure if they've fixed that since I checked last)

Personally, I keep going back to Noteshelf 2. It will allow you embed images, add simple diagrams, typing, importing and embedding PDFs and MS Office docs. However, Noteshelf does have Evernote integration which allows me to use my extensive nested tagging I've set up over the years and also access from my Mac. I like the organization, variety of paper styles and (to me) superior stroke rendering when writing with the Pencil (or the Adonit disc based styluses)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do any of y'all know what happened to BeWeather? It stopped updating for me like a week ago, so I switched to the stock weather app. Now I'm trying to look it up to see if in the reviews anyone talks about having the same issue, but it seems to be gone from the app store.

Could the devs just have killed it? I'm fine using the stock app, as it's working as it should. Just odd that I can't even seem to find info on why BeWeather is broken either through the app store or through a few different Google searches.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Something weird is happening with apostrophes on my app. I can’t see apostrophes in my own posts at all. I can see other people’s apostrophes, but not mine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Something weird is happening with apostrophes on my app. I can’t see apostrophes in my own posts at all. I can see other people’s apostrophes, but not mine.

What apostrophes?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

tuyop posted:

What apostrophes?

I mistook this for the awful app thread.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do any of y'all know what happened to BeWeather? It stopped updating for me like a week ago, so I switched to the stock weather app. Now I'm trying to look it up to see if in the reviews anyone talks about having the same issue, but it seems to be gone from the app store.

Could the devs just have killed it? I'm fine using the stock app, as it's working as it should. Just odd that I can't even seem to find info on why BeWeather is broken either through the app store or through a few different Google searches.

That's very strange. Within the past 2-3 weeks they had released an updated version. I think version 3. I specifically remember downloading it because I read an article about it being rewritten and updated. I didn't end up keeping it on my phone as I use Hello Weather, but now I can't find it on the App Store either. I wonder if the re-write broke some App Store rules or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lignicolos posted:

That's very strange. Within the past 2-3 weeks they had released an updated version. I think version 3. I specifically remember downloading it because I read an article about it being rewritten and updated. I didn't end up keeping it on my phone as I use Hello Weather, but now I can't find it on the App Store either. I wonder if the re-write broke some App Store rules or something.
Yeah, I downloaded that update too. And the new version worked fine for a little while, until it suddenly didn't and the app disappeared from the App Store :confused:

Maybe they're working on it to try to get it back up? Oh well, it's no big loss either way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think they saw a lot of exodus when they were having big problems consistently showing the correct data and forecasts. I live near chicago, but would consistently see data that was clearly for somewhere in the US South-West. I know there were other goons experiencing this.

I’m not sure if it was when they moved to the Weather Underground data feed or if writing a location aware app is that hard. I suspect the former since they’ve moved back to Dark Sky for their data.

Regardless, I no longer recommend BeWeather. I now use Carrot myself. I don’t really care where the data comes from, just accuracy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Any good apps for wind? Just want to see wind speed, gusts, and direction over time.

The windfinder app costs $8 and their website is pretty much good enough on a phone but I’d like an app anyway.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Spotify moved the repeat button back to the main play screen, thank gently caress

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

Spotify moved the repeat button back to the main play screen, thank gently caress

For now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Next week they’ll move it to Settings.app.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Jazz Marimba posted:

I don’t know that I’ve ever used the repeat button. Frankly I don’t understand the hubbub. :colbert:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

lol if you have a tremendous catalogue of music at your disposal and listen to the same thing more than once

lol if you have a hundred playlists with days of music you have yet to listen to. IT NEVER ENDS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tuyop posted:

Any good apps for wind? Just want to see wind speed, gusts, and direction over time.

The windfinder app costs $8 and their website is pretty much good enough on a phone but I’d like an app anyway.

Ventusky. It's free and has lots of different options other than wind also.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Ventusky. It's free and has lots of different options other than wind also.

It says $4 on the Canada App Store. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tuyop posted:

It says $4 on the Canada App Store. :(

Now that I think about it I did pay for it. I use it for work so was not a big hurdle. Sorry

It's worth it. Fantastic weather app

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Reeder 3 just got an update recently! Just a layout fix to the IPPs I think but maybe this isn’t abandoned after all.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What are you cool cats using with your hue lights? I've been using OnSwitch for a while. I don't pay for anything since it started added all that stuff. Anything better out there?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Housh posted:

What are you cool cats using with your hue lights? I've been using OnSwitch for a while. I don't pay for anything since it started added all that stuff. Anything better out there?

I just use Home nowadays, with the Hue app to set scenes cause of their color picker and “use a photo” thing. There’s an app that looks like it’s from the 90s called iConnectHue that is pretty good too, if you can get around the whole “looks like poo poo” aspect of it. It can do a lot of more complex automation stuff that the Home app can’t do.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Is there a reason to not sync iMessages via iCloud assuming I have plenty of cloud space already? For some reason I’ve never turned that on...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Is there a reason to not sync iMessages via iCloud assuming I have plenty of cloud space already? For some reason I’ve never turned that on...

I don't like keeping old texts. Others do.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't like keeping old texts. Others do.

I haven’t deleted a thread in years and like it that way. So assuming iCloud for iMessage makes that even better I guess I’ll turn it on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I haven’t deleted a thread in years and like it that way. So assuming iCloud for iMessage makes that even better I guess I’ll turn it on.

It's mandatory with it on. If you have more than one device, it'll technically save some space on backups since there's only a single iMessage backup in iCloud rather than one for each device.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'd been trying to look for a suitable replacement for BeWeather since it stopped working for me, but even though I tried several apps, none were really doing what I wanted. AccuWeather, The Weather Channel, Weather Underground, Dark Sky, etc. I wanted something that had a similar layout to BeWeather's, presenting me all the information I wanted to see on one screen with a clean, slick look, both in the app and in its widget.

Then I found Weather Live. Pretty sure this is what I've been looking for all along! :)

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Carrot Weather. It's fine, I guess.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I’m still really fond of WeatherNerd, myself

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

WTForecast is surprising accurate, and good for when your phone isn't muted in a crowded office :v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had an email from Evernote this morning which I know a bunch of people here use(d). Someone logged in with my password and they blocked it due to suspicious activity. Problem is, it’s an Apple generated password so it’s definitely unique so either Apples system is broke (not likely, this wouldn’t be the first I heard about it) or Evernote has been breached and they’re trying to put the onus on its users. Hmm.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a 2FA email for Evernote not too long ago, so I think they might have been breached.

I should probably change that password even though I don't actually use it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I'd been trying to look for a suitable replacement for BeWeather since it stopped working for me, but even though I tried several apps, none were really doing what I wanted. AccuWeather, The Weather Channel, Weather Underground, Dark Sky, etc. I wanted something that had a similar layout to BeWeather's, presenting me all the information I wanted to see on one screen with a clean, slick look, both in the app and in its widget.

Then I found Weather Live. Pretty sure this is what I've been looking for all along! :)

I've found that I like Hello Weather best for a clean, one screen view of the upcoming forecast. And it's one of the most "current iOS design standards"-looking apps ever, which I appreciate. It's very nice.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I used the Motion Sensor app on my iPad to record some video, but when I try to sync the video files to Dropbox/iCloud/etc. the app crashes when I bring up the share sheet. I want to get the videos off the iPad and onto my computer. Is there a suggested way to get to the actual files? They aren't listed in the Files app and I'm guessing they are in the app's container (or whatever it's called). I've done this before, but that was a shady app in like iOS6. I'm not sure what's possible now. I tried plugging into iTunes but that just shows the movies, music, etc.

I originally used this app to figure out which of my cat's was being a jerk and peeing in the basement, but now that I found out one of them has kidney failure I want to save these videos of him even though it's just him running around the basement acting foolish.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How do I forward all emails from gmail to my iCloud address? Mail doesn’t give notifications for gmail so I can’t just add the account, I can’t find the settings in gmail that allow me to do that; if I go to the desktop version of gmail the forwarding settings are there but ask me to “define” both an app and a service to forward to instead of just putting down an email address, and only link to a google faq that says to give an address ( which I can’t do, like I said).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You don't see this on the desktop?