Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dr bronner owns tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this seemed the right thread for it idk

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Yeah the caps just make it seem like any other phrase that would be scrawled across one of the bottles.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shear Modulus posted:

movies about racism that center on white people and letting the white audience feel good about themselves are one of the three oscar cheatcodes. the other two of course being movies about english royals and movies about hollywood
In 2029, Duchess of Los Angeles: The Meghan Markle Story will become the first film to win every award at the Oscars.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In 2029, Duchess of Los Angeles: The Meghan Markle Story will become the first film to win every award at the Oscars.

if she is ever involved in a car crash or some other tragedy i would 100% suspect it was a hit job paid for by hollywood and the national enquirer to guarantee endless profits for the rest of time

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I'm unsure if this is a #woke twitter take by the brand or a desperate cry for help from an employee

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the packaging for Dr. Bronner, btw

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

This is the packaging for Dr. Bronner, btw

thing is, it's good soap

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Dr. Bronner's fuckin' owns in this era of corporate pandering bullshit

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
dr bronner used to have a birth control method on his labels

iirc it entailed soaking half a lemon in the soap

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

im reading their wiki page and they seem probably like the most ethical corporation that could exist under capitalism which is pretty cool

quote:

The company has self-imposed caps on executive pay, with executive salaries not to exceed 5 times the wage of its lowest paid workers.[5] Roughly a third of the company's profits are dedicated to charitable giving and activist causes annually.[13]

In 2017, Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps donated $600,000 to animal rights causes. Notably, the company purchased a boat for Sea Shepherd Conservation Society operations in Germany, the MV Emanuel Bronner.[11]

Bronner is a member of the Board of Directors of the organization Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies,[21] and at his behest the company has pledged to donate 5 million dollars to the organization between 2017-2022, principally for their work in support of the therapeutic use of MDMA for post-traumatic stress disorder.[22]

would be better if it was a co-op but maybe it is and the wiki page just isn't detailed enough

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I use it but I add some food grade vegetable glycerin so my hands don't get so dry.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

:yeah: ALL ONE!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

oh and apparently green book won best picture which is impressive youd think by now theyd have realized its a bad look to spotlight movies about race that were deliberately designed by and for white people
if you're looking for morality in an awards show dedicated to giving hollywood a reacharound, then look elsewhere. at the very least, it's better than giving it to Bohemian Rhapsody because they're afraid of Bryan Singer squealing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cenotaph posted:

I use it but I add some food grade vegetable glycerin so my hands don't get so dry.

Yeah I used to use it but it made my skin so loving dry

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Other than seeing it in like Whole Foods next to a bunch of other snake oils, I'd never heard of Dr. Bronner's, but I checked out their website and just bought a bunch of their poo poo and I'll see if I can replace my various J&J and Unilever soaps.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ScrubLeague posted:

Other than seeing it in like Whole Foods next to a bunch of other snake oils, I'd never heard of Dr. Bronner's, but I checked out their website and just bought a bunch of their poo poo and I'll see if I can replace my various J&J and Unilever soaps.

You can pick it up at Target now

It's good handsoap use it after I finish posting

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ScrubLeague posted:

woke brands win again

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
hey man if they're as good as a capitalist family company can be then they're as good as a capitalist family company can be

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Paladinus posted:

HBomberguy thinks Star Wars prequels are good movies. He might be right about many things, but he's clearly not all right in the head. Just something to always remember when engaging with his videos.

not only that he thinks the Star Wars Prequels are good at analyzing the rise of fascism.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Identifying people's political allegiance by whether they are loyal enough to Disney or like the right cartoons and video games instead of what injustices they care about is one of the shittiest types of slacktivism, it's had some dire consequences, and hbomb kind of encourages it and did not go back on it at all in this video.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Identifying people's political allegiance by whether they are loyal enough to Disney or like the right cartoons and video games instead of what injustices they care about is one of the shittiest types of slacktivism, it's had some dire consequences, and hbomb kind of encourages it and did not go back on it at all in this video.

Getting people to think critically about the things that are important to them is the first step in getting them to think critically about larger things. Did you give a poo poo about anything other than video games and such when you were 16-18?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Heath posted:

Getting people to think critically about the things that are important to them is the first step in getting them to think critically about larger things. Did you give a poo poo about anything other than video games and such when you were 16-18?

Yeah playing video games and watching cartoons all day is the gateway to becoming a great thinker. It's not at all convenient the people who found this out are obsessed with consuming video games and cartoons.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

not only that he thinks the Star Wars Prequels are good at analyzing the rise of fascism.

well yeah, they're about a fascist tricking the powerful liberal elite class into giving him more power and militarizing and then using that power to wipe them out

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BioMe posted:

Yeah playing video games and watching cartoons all day is the gateway to becoming a great thinker. It's not at all convenient the people who found this out are obsessed with consuming video games and cartoons.

Yeah that's exactly what I said you fuckin dunce

The fact is that in our lovely society most people do only think about surface level poo poo until they're actually prompted to think a little deeper about it. A ton of young people can get excited about thinking critically about Dark Souls 2 or whatever and it appeals to them because it's about something they're intimately familiar enough with that they can think that way about it. Getting them into the process of thinking critically expands that ability into other things and develops a skill that they can carry with them as they age and their interests change. The fact that people can have big deep debates about video game meanings is because they care about it, even if it is ultimately trivial, but when you're young especially your life is full of trivial poo poo. It makes for a good starting point when you can frame things like leftist ideas in terms of the things people understand.

It's not that video games themselves are a good gateway to critical thinking, it's that you have to go where the people are to get them to listen. I can talk for hours about great novels and their influence on western culture but the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo because they don't consume on that level, but I can have (relatively) deep conversations about story composition in The Witcher or Dark Souls with a range of people because they know that poo poo. It's not a preferable state of affairs but the idea isn't to make people think about Dark Souls, it's to make people think at all

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

well yeah, they're about a fascist tricking the powerful liberal elite class into giving him more power and militarizing and then using that power to wipe them out

his insistence they are good is insane, but you can occasionally see the glimpses of a good idea lurking in bits of the prequels before they are crushed by the world's most overpromoted set designer being the guy writing the dialogue

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paulo Bacigalupi wrote an incredible post-climactic-global-warming scifi novel where one of the main characters was a spy working for monsanto trying to find and destroy one of the only remaining non-corporate-controlled seedbanks and then he said he realized that if he wanted to actually reach and convince people with his message he was targeting entirely the wrong audience and he became a young-adult scifi author.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Shear Modulus posted:

Paulo Bacigalupi wrote an incredible post-climactic-global-warming scifi novel where one of the main characters was a spy working for monsanto trying to find and destroy one of the only remaining non-corporate-controlled seedbanks and then he said he realized that if he wanted to actually reach and convince people with his message he was targeting entirely the wrong audience and he became a young-adult scifi author.

:hellyeah:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apparently people are mad the new overwatch hero is a black guy and not a black woman

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno I've definitely talked to a lot of gamers lately who are all "wtf why does this all suck now" and then you explain "because capitalism" and they get mad and then you go "also that applies to literally everything that exists in the economy" and then boom they are a communist.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A guy I work with complained about console exclusives and how dumb it is that if he wants to play Bloodborne he has to buy a PS4 and couldn't just get it on steam and I told him companies have no incentive give up their exclusives because of capitalism and having a stranglehold on certain titles vs. open source software and he actually came back to me a few days later and said he had been thinking about how that applies to other non-video game stuff and how often the consumer gets hosed by proprietary products

I didn't even make much of an argument, I literally just had to respond to all of his complaints with :capitalism:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Yes? I ran for mayor and attended city council meetings.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

god drat you absolute fuckin nerd

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Ice Town Costs Ice Clown His Town Crown

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Crane Fist posted:

god drat you absolute fuckin nerd

I mean don't worry, I played a bunch of video games and poo poo too. When you are in high school you have a lot of time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heath posted:

A guy I work with complained about console exclusives and how dumb it is that if he wants to play Bloodborne he has to buy a PS4 and couldn't just get it on steam and I told him companies have no incentive give up their exclusives because of capitalism and having a stranglehold on certain titles vs. open source software and he actually came back to me a few days later and said he had been thinking about how that applies to other non-video game stuff and how often the consumer gets hosed by proprietary products

I didn't even make much of an argument, I literally just had to respond to all of his complaints with :capitalism:

What is this capital you speak of?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Everyone laugh at this gay rear end bitch who's never touched a titty

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i think you can take hbombs prequel jokes with a grain of salt when you consider that he made a video where the plot is that he goes insane developing a hot take that cntrl alt delete is actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/hausinthehouse/status/1100111633215410176?s=21