Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

joebuddah posted:

And a weird one
The allergic history
A borden clincial conversation
$5 shipped (you will lose money on this deal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Is it this thing?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Could be, I don't have the sleeve. But the label is different

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

joebuddah posted:

I don't have the sleeve
$3

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Think of it as a podcast or youtube video....

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I inherited a few of my great-grandmother's 78s. I do have a record player capable of handling these, so I've listened to a few.

This was the highlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhYYPqwkxks

Mine's a cover by another artist, but it's virtually identical. I also love the label.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Bought a ton of KLF records.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good haul my man. Can’t have too much KLF in your life.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Going to LA soon. Any shops I should check out besides Amoeba?

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

Flaggy posted:

hell yeah dude

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Flaggy posted:

That’s the stuff.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

camoseven posted:

Going to LA soon. Any shops I should check out besides Amoeba?

These are on my personal list to check out net time I am in LA:

Rappcats - Record Store owned by Egon and Madlib
Linear Labs - Record store owned by Adrian Younge

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
It's VMP Announcement Day and I must say this could be my favorite month to date.

They also released an exclusive for De La Soul is Dead, but it crashed the site and I think they are taking it down and re-releasing tonight. I managed to grab one though so I am stoked!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I need to swap to De La Soul... hope the site comes back soon.

Sites back. Swapped. :D This release looks awesome.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 26, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Welp, looks like I'm resubbing this month.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

MrSargent posted:

It's VMP Announcement Day and I must say this could be my favorite month to date.

They also released an exclusive for De La Soul is Dead, but it crashed the site and I think they are taking it down and re-releasing tonight. I managed to grab one though so I am stoked!

You used to be able to just email Miller and buy a copy of Oriental Jazz since he had a bunch of dead stock. You'd get a package with the LP and like 20 CD-R's of just random stuff he'd recorded and a couple of burned DVDs of his TV appearances. It was a pretty cool package, but I ended up just giving the CDs and poo poo to other people.

I think he still randomly posts copies on eBay every other month or something.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

JehovahsWetness posted:

You used to be able to just email Miller and buy a copy of Oriental Jazz since he had a bunch of dead stock. You'd get a package with the LP and like 20 CD-R's of just random stuff he'd recorded and a couple of burned DVDs of his TV appearances. It was a pretty cool package, but I ended up just giving the CDs and poo poo to other people.

I think he still randomly posts copies on eBay every other month or something.

I have no idea if this was him but I saw a random comment on YouTube claiming to be him saying he would send you an 8GB flash drive of everything he has ever recorded to you for "not much money."

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

De La Soul is Dead sold out in less than an hour day-umn.

Super excited for Oriental Jazz, and I currently have Alice Coltrane in place of Handsome Boy Modeling School. Although I might swap back to HBMS I dunno.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got a great haul at the Goodwill outlet store today. 26 records for practically free because the guy knew me and wanted them to go to "a good home".

The jackets are terribly beat up on several, but they've all pretty clean and all the vinyl I've played so far has sounded great. It's not water/mold damage. Maybe moths? In any case, I'm pretty excited. Several classic albums in here that I don't have.

All the inner sleeves were stored sideways (openings not lined up), so I knew they weren't going to be too abused. First thing I did was rotate them all 90 degrees :haw:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If they look chewed up it's probably rodents. Most likely it's just poor handling and storage.

Anyone who lines up the opening of the sleeve with the opening of the cover is a trash person.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

De La Soul is Dead sold out in less than an hour day-umn.

Super excited for Oriental Jazz, and I currently have Alice Coltrane in place of Handsome Boy Modeling School. Although I might swap back to HBMS I dunno.

I just realized that you are "NewsFedora" on the VMP forums, which I should have guessed from the Mustafa Ozkent avatar.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Anyone who lines up the opening of the sleeve with the opening of the cover is a trash person.
Whenever I get an LP where the split is on the top it bothers me having to put the record sleeve in sideways.

I mean it's the most correct way, I guess.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Whenever I get an LP where the split is on the top it bothers me having to put the record sleeve in sideways.

I mean it's the most correct way, I guess.

I'm not a fan of this either but it's not the norm. In situations where the cover is damaged in a way where you can't really keep the disc inside I just put the inner sleeve into the outer sleeve and don't line up the openings. It's imperfect but still a better solution.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

No way - easy access! The worst is when a sleeve is slightly rectangular so it won't physically go in rotated.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

No way - easy access! The worst is when a sleeve is slightly rectangular so it won't physically go in rotated.

The whole point of the sleeves is to minimize the amount of dust that gets on the record. Also the whole sideways thing makes it easy for the disc to fall out when you pick up the cover, especially if you have ploy lined inner sleeves.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

I just realized that you are "NewsFedora" on the VMP forums, which I should have guessed from the Mustafa Ozkent avatar.

It's also my Twitter handle :ssh:

"Ballz" is a nickname I literally had in high school over 20 years ago. It kinda got grandfathered in here on the Something Awful forums but as I rapidly approach middle age, I realize it's probably not an ideal online handle to go by.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

"Ballz" is a nickname I literally had in high school over 20 years ago. It kinda got grandfathered in here on the Something Awful forums but as I rapidly approach middle age, I realize it's probably not an ideal online handle to go by.

...no offense, but, like, Ballz beats the pants off of anything to do with fedoras in this day and age.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

I'm in a similar boat although probably not as unfortunate as you haha. "MrSargent" came from a an inside joke my friends and I had concerning our math teacher in high school. It wasn't even that funny/clever at the time but coming up with a username was not my strong suit.

Can anyone give me recommendations for good psychedelic rock or psychedelic jazz from the 60's and 70's? For reference, I would love to find more stuff that is similar to The Stark Reality Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop. I realize that is a pretty unique record and there is a reason it was so valuable but am hoping there is some other stuff I can dig for in a similar vein. In particular, I am looking for stuff to sample for my hip-hop productions so if you can think of stuff that isn't super mainstream, I would really appreciate it! I included some groups I am already familiar with below and realize that some of them people wouldn't consider "psychedelic" necessarily.

Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Spirit
The Doors

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

What's up highschool nickname username buddy

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Check out Gong if you haven't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9knIlUc5Cs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I'm in a similar boat although probably not as unfortunate as you haha. "MrSargent" came from a an inside joke my friends and I had concerning our math teacher in high school. It wasn't even that funny/clever at the time but coming up with a username was not my strong suit.

Can anyone give me recommendations for good psychedelic rock or psychedelic jazz from the 60's and 70's? For reference, I would love to find more stuff that is similar to The Stark Reality Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop. I realize that is a pretty unique record and there is a reason it was so valuable but am hoping there is some other stuff I can dig for in a similar vein. In particular, I am looking for stuff to sample for my hip-hop productions so if you can think of stuff that isn't super mainstream, I would really appreciate it! I included some groups I am already familiar with below and realize that some of them people wouldn't consider "psychedelic" necessarily.

Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Spirit
The Doors

Sir Lord Baltimore.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MrSargent posted:

Can anyone give me recommendations for good psychedelic rock or psychedelic jazz from the 60's and 70's?

Listen to krautrock imo. I’m on my phone but can update some examples later. Or just google it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have no idea if this was him but I saw a random comment on YouTube claiming to be him saying he would send you an 8GB flash drive of everything he has ever recorded to you for "not much money."

that is a rabbit hole i recommend going down. give strangers your address on the internet!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Spirit
The Doors

10 Years After Shhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdT1DepwfYs

Country Joe McDonald Hold on its Coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MWBbO2KN3M

Wonder if that De La is gonna get a wider release? Got really excited for Odelay and then it was on Amazon a week later for $15.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

10 Years After Shhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdT1DepwfYs

Country Joe McDonald Hold on its Coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MWBbO2KN3M

Wonder if that De La is gonna get a wider release? Got really excited for Odelay and then it was on Amazon a week later for $15.

Ten Years After is a pretty solid band of that era which seems mostly forgotten outside of some old guys who peaked in high school. I have a whole bunch of thier albums and haven't listened to them in years abut I always enjoyed them. Some other good psych rock bands:

Faine Jade
13th Floor Elevators
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Spirit
The Doors

Os Mutantes
Love
Small Faces
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Move
The Pretty Things
(early) Fleetwood Mac (Try their 1971 greatest hits record for things like Albatross and Oh Well pt. 2)
(early) Moody Blues
Traffic
Soft Machine
Caravan
Incredible String Band
The Nice
(early) Van der Graaf Generator

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don’t think De La Soul sold out, I was able to swap for it about 20 minutes ago.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Shampy posted:

I don’t think De La Soul sold out, I was able to swap for it about 20 minutes ago.

They also released "De La Soul Is Dead", a different De La Soul album, which sold out. 3 feet is still around, they pressed a ton apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_La_Soul_Is_Dead

https://twitter.com/VinylMePlease/status/1100515908592852997

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They also released "De La Soul Is Dead", a different De La Soul album, which sold out. 3 feet is still around, they pressed a ton apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_La_Soul_Is_Dead

https://twitter.com/VinylMePlease/status/1100515908592852997

Ah gently caress me, that explains it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I walked into a record store today vaguely hoping to maybe find The Sound's Jeopardy, and while I was browsing the owner put it on. Basically bought it straight off his turntable. :v: