Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/1100217825229185024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

:stare:

that sounds. . . bad. Not that Pakistan doesn't deserve to suffer retaliation for these kinds of stunts, but there's a lot of potential for escalation here.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Squalid posted:

:stare:

that sounds. . . bad. Not that Pakistan doesn't deserve to suffer retaliation for these kinds of stunts, but there's a lot of potential for escalation here.

To what extent was Pakistan involved in the recent attack? The situation in kashmir has deterioriated a lot under India's current government and homegrown anger in Kashmir probably doesn't even need Pak support anymore

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

mila kunis posted:

To what extent was Pakistan involved in the recent attack? The situation in kashmir has deterioriated a lot under India's current government and homegrown anger in Kashmir probably doesn't even need Pak support anymore

Well I admit my knowledge of this is pretty shallow, but this is what the Washington Post has to say:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.e101f3bf846b

quote:

An Islamist terrorist group, Jaish-e-Muhammad — based in Pakistan though nominally banned by the Pakistani government — reportedly took credit for the attack.

India claims the group and its leader, Masood Azhar, have been “given full freedom” by the Pakistani state “to operate and expand [its] terror infrastructure … and to carry out attacks in India and elsewhere with impunity.” Pakistan has offered to help with the investigation — but such offers in earlier attacks led nowhere.

I'm not sure just how much information on the Jaish-e-Muhammad and their relationship to the Pakistani government is available, but certainly given Pakistan's history I'd be extremely skeptical of Pakistani claims to being totally uninvolved. I'd at least expect to see evidence Pakistan was serious about investigating and cracking down on these kinds of groups.

Not that revenge is worth risking a nuclear war, wtf.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/OfficialDGISPR/status/1100207947022565377?s=19

https://twitter.com/OfficialDGISPR/status/1100231826348617728?s=19

As per tweets Pakistani sources are saying Indian jets turned away without hitting anything.

Indian officials have no comment.

Balakot, the town allegedly targeted is in Pakistan proper, and not Pakistan Kashmir. It is way past the Line of Control. It's a huge escalation if true.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1100230509710491649

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Fortunately, both sides have nukes to prevent any further escalation. :unsmigghh:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/WSJPolitics/sta...ingawful.com%2F

We did it America!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Is this dood actually in or headed to Afghanistan?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rip Testes posted:

Is this dood actually in or headed to Afghanistan?

Nope hes at parris island

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
What are the paths of escalation with the current situation between Pakistan and India. I will admit I have no sense of knowledge about the Kashmir conflict other than several wars were fought over the contested area. How did those conflicts originate and how does a terror bombing take the countries back to an actual shooting war where possible nuclear release really becomes a possibility? It is just poor retaliatory decisions? From what little I gather episodic violence in the area is not that uncommon, but now we have India wanting to suddenly build a dam and is dropping bombs. Why this level of escalation and how does it potentially evolve?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quoting from another forum:

quote:

In-between a scale of one to ten, this incident is a 3. India and Pakistan are no strangers to shooting at each other. It's been a while since they've used aircraft to do it, but it's very unlikely to escalate to exchange of nuclear weapons. It might lead to a limited war, but I doubt it, most likely that Pakistan will strike back, perhaps with artillery or a cruise missile, and India will retaliate, there will be tit for tat for a while and then things will calm back down to the usual exchanges of lead along the LOC.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We're gonna need a bigger thread.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Official Indian government statement

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
A full dozen Mirage 2000Hs from India's No. 7 Squadron supported by ELINT aircraft crossed into Pakistani airspace looking to strike JeM camps, timed with heavy shelling once they reached their target area. The closest targets were bombed and shelled, then it looks like their final target might've been a C&C camp further into Pakistani territory, but scrambled JF-17 Interceptors forced a turn-dump-burn abort.

Both sides have put their air defenses in full readiness in case of further action, and Pak HQ is making noises like it might throw a token response back to satisfy hardliners, but it doesn't look (at least for now) that the Pakistanis are committing to a major counter-response.

The fairly low chances of further escalation come down to the nuances of the attack.

The head of the Indian High Command said about 24 hours ago that the retaliation for the Pulwama attacks would be in the next 48, so Pak HQ knew the Indians were coming, there was no surprise there.

They specifically chose fast, multi-role fighters to deliver an in-and-out precision strike. If the Indians wanted to seriously gently caress poo poo up along the LoC, the Mirage 2000s would've been on air-air duty, and they would've fielded MiG-27 ground attack craft.

The Indian artillery response consisted of only tube artillery, and none of their considerable MRLS assets.

Both of these signal it was a limited, focused response from India, but also signals that they have further conventional escalation measures available if need be.

Additionally, the diplomatic approach to the strike was fairly clever as well: the Pakistani government can't acknowledge they knew the location or operational capacity of the camps that got hit without undercutting Khan's statement from a couple days ago where he said if the Indians gave him actionable intelligence on JeM encampments then the Pak military would hit them. So either they sit on their hands or walk into a diplomatic quagmire that basically admits a wing of their government OK'd the strike.

That said, both sides are now going to proceed to lie through their loving teeth, pressuring the other to issue further lies, and turn the entire PR/diplomatic situation into one giant pissing contest.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Here is some 15 year old HUMINT that mentions a JEM base in Balakot.

https://wikileaks.org/gitmo/pdf/pk/us9pk-000301dp.pdf

Good thing we're using all that actionable Intel from Guantanamo in a timely fashion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

The closest targets were bombed and shelled, then it looks like their final target might've been a C&C camp further into Pakistani territory, but scrambled JF-17 Interceptors forced a turn-dump-burn abort.

Where did details like this come from?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Count Roland posted:

Where did details like this come from?

Conflict trackers + inference + what each side is saying (lies will contain truths).

IE based on everything presented so far, the Indians are truthful in claiming they hit three targets, and thoroughly wiped two of them, and for all their denying the Pakistanis are probably truthful in that they forced the Indians to turn away and dump payloads - meaning there was at least a 4th target deeper past the LoC that the Indians were hoping to hit as well, relying on the Mirage 2000 acceleration characteristics, but hosed up the math and the Pak JF-17s caught up with them.

Naturally there's a ton of guesswork involved here, and details may need revising, but that's what collating observer reports gets you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/26/pakistan-india-jets-breached-ceasefire-line-kashmir-bomb

Pakistan's response of downplaying the Indian incursion can be thought to mean they don't want to escalate. It's easier to save face without taking military action if you claim you forced the enemy to turn back and that they couldn't cause any damage except a few uprooted trees in the wilderness. Then there's nothing worth reprising against.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also probably helps if thats what actually happened too. There really isn't any motive for Pakistan to seek escalation either, this was after all our hero Modi's internal politics that made this strike happen. So Pakistan is basically holding out its tongue and going *pläpläpläpläplä*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Good if it ends here, but it seems the same cycle will just continue to repeat over and over. Hopefully something else changes for the better before then.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What's the best English-language news channel or newspaper in India? Or actual experts that aren't going to repeat the same thing for hours on end? Watching some live India Times and NDTV on YouTube and the latter seems slightly less sensationalist/hypernationalist than the former, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran's Foreign Minister, resigned rather abruptly today.

Supposedly he was excluded from the meeting with Assad in Tehran, got offended about it, and resigned in a huff despite efforts to convince him it wasn't an intentional slight.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's the best English-language news channel or newspaper in India? Or actual experts that aren't going to repeat the same thing for hours on end? Watching some live India Times and NDTV on YouTube and the latter seems slightly less sensationalist/hypernationalist than the former, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

from another forum:

quote:

lolz good luck with that. only good media in india is regional but they are in their own language and mostly cover the local news.

national media has always been bad but gotten lot worse in last few years. even ones targeted by bjp bots as anti national (translation: they are sometimes critical of hindutva and don't want to hang the muslims) turn into jingoist warmonger mode when it comes to pakistan.

indian press has gotten more and more in control by corporate interests and hindutva

https://thewire.in/media/punya-prasun-bajpai-abp-news-narendra-modi

it is affecting even academic journals let alone mainstream media

https://scroll.in/article/844586/we-should-give-epw-trust-a-chance-before-accusing-it-of-cowardice-but-it-must-explain-itself

that is not to go into the hundreds of cases of local journalists being beaten, killed, threaten, blackmailed etc by local police, party activists, paramilitaries and so on. rule of law is very weak in india. its not a free country

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Artillery fire is being reported in Kashmir.

(WE NEED A SEPARATE THREAD ASAP)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Grouchio posted:

Artillery fire is being reported in Kashmir.

Sporadic artillery skirmishes have been going on for a while.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Bloombergquint is pretty good for english Indian coverage. They mostly cover business and markets but also cover important other developments including this conflict. They recently started paywalling everything though so that sucks.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sporadic artillery skirmishes have been going on for a while.

Yeah, that is pretty normal for the region. It is getting a little too hot though today..a lot of small arms fire too.

https://twitter.com/ZaidZamanHamid/status/1100448199804899329

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/indian-shelling-kills-civilians-pakistan-administered-kashmir-190226190841703.html

quote:

An Indian mortar shell hit a house in Nakyal sector along the Line of Control that killed a mother, daughter and son," local disaster management authority official Shariq Tariq told AFP news agency.

Another death was reported from Koiratta town in the semi-autonomous region, Khan said.
READ MORE
Pakistan says 'will respond' to Indian air raids on its territory

Meanwhile, Indian media reports said at least five of its soldiers were also wounded in cross-border firing along the LoC.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/iran-rouhani-rejects-top-diplomat-zarif-resignation-190226152426950.html

Double posting.

Rouhani rejected Zarif's resignation as foreign minister.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

We're gonna need a bigger thread.

It's apropos, in a historical sense, that what ten years ago was "the iraq thread" is now referencing everything from unrest to outright warfare in a vague area stretching as far west as Morocco, as far south as Sudan, and as far east as China's Xinjiang province.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Really hoping cooler heads prevail in I/p (not that one)

Loiks like Indian fighter jets have been downed and a pilot captured. Cant wait to see the poo poo show of them parading him on al jazeera

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Really hoping cooler heads prevail in I/p (not that one)

Loiks like Indian fighter jets have been downed and a pilot captured. Cant wait to see the poo poo show of them parading him on al jazeera

There's already one video circulating with civilians dancing and cheering near the body of a burnt pilot in a crashed Indian plane.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Anarkii posted:

There's already one video circulating with civilians dancing and cheering near the body of a burnt pilot in a crashed Indian plane.

There's also one showing a training accident from four years ago as happening a couple hours ago. It might have been the one you saw!

Fake social media poo poo is going to be insane everywhere for a hot minute, probably.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 27, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/AirportPakistan/status/1100668226386649089?s=19

fyi in case anyone was planning on flying through Pak airspace

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/AirportPakistan/status/1100668226386649089?s=19

fyi in case anyone was planning on flying through Pak airspace
If you were wondering what all those numbers meant.

"Wikipedia article on NOTAM's posted:

- The first line contains NOTAM identification (series, sequence number, and year of issue), the type of operation (NEW, REPLACE, or CANCEL), as well as a reference to a previously-issued NOTAM (for NOTAMR and NOTAMC only).
- The "Q" line holds information about who the NOTAM affects along with a basic NOTAM description. This line can be encoded/decoded from tables defined by ICAO. This allows NOTAMs to be displayed electronically
- The "A" line is the ICAO code of the affected aerodrome or FIR for the NOTAM. The area of influence of the NOTAM can be several hundreds of kilometres away from the originating aerodrome.
- The "B" line contains the start date and time, the "C" line contains the finish date and time of the NOTAM. The date is in the format YY/MM/DD and the times are given in Universal Co-ordinated Time; also known as UTC or Zulu time.
- Sometimes a "D" line may be present. This gives a miscellaneous diurnal time for the NOTAM if the hours of effect are less than 24 hours a day, e.g., parachute dropping exercises tend to occur for short periods of a few hours during the day, but may be repeated over many days.
- The "E" line is the full NOTAM description. It is in English but can be heavily abbreviated. These abbreviations can be encoded/decoded by tables defined by ICAO.
So looks like this notice is only for a couple of days, but I guess they'll probably extend it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
welp, either the nukes will fly at the end of the week...or they won't, in which case this whole thing will de-escalate back into your usual shouting match.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I had a look at some newspapers from the region today.

The Indian papers were all: "BRAVE AND NOBLE INDIAN AIRFORCE DOWNS DASTARDLY PAKISTANI INTERLOPERS and they're also claiming to have shot down one of ours, the big fat liars".

The Pakistani papers were exactly the same, except with the nationalities reversed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

India's acknowledging that they lost a plane now.

This reminds me of Khrushchev's private correspondence with Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1100728187762335749

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Does that count as a call for peace, or as an explicit nuclear threat?