Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone forgets about WCW vs. the World, the American localization of Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 for the PS1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i liked the nitro game because it had a million characters at least. wrestling games on playstation were preeeetty rough until wwf smackdown. attitude may have been the first time i was able to acknowledge that something i wanted to like was bad.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Alaois posted:

everyone forgets about WCW vs. the World, the American localization of Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 for the PS1
It was my first Playstation game, and the thing I remember the most is how there were maybe 10-15 WCW wrestlers out of a 50 man roster -- although a lot of the renames did actually work in WCW at some point like Liger, Muta, Scott Norton, and the very unfortunately named "Overdose" (Road Warrior Hawk)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

It was my first Playstation game, and the thing I remember the most is how there were maybe 10-15 WCW wrestlers out of a 50 man roster -- although a lot of the renames did actually work in WCW at some point like Liger, Muta, Scott Norton, and the very unfortunately named "Overdose" (Road Warrior Hawk)

It was the only wrestling game we had for PS1 and I always loved the Great Muta rename, BAD BLOOD

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
As far as I know revenge is the only video game ever made with two Jews on the cover.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm pretty sure I've talked about Mayhem in this thread before: I don't remember it being a bad game, just quite clunky and sadly not in the same ballpark as On Tour/Revenge. It had a large roster, some entertaining commentary with Tony and Brain ("Wake up Brain! He's doing that move again!"), and a limited yet funny create a wrestler feature (which actually allowed you to create wrestlers that were INVISIBLE, or just floating heads). It even let you do some basic but passable backstage hardcore nonsense, complete with the WCW TASER.

Backstage Assault was the really miserable WCW game. It was Mayhem, but somehow did everything so much worse. I remember being so disappointed and angry with it, especially since it was easier for me to watch WCW at the time and I really wanted a new WCW game. :(

EDIT: Also Mayhem had Mean Gene as an unlockable character, who introduced himself by saying "NOW ON HIS WAY TO THE RING... ME!". That's gold.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WM2000 had the best career mode because it was kinda open-ended, I fluked into a title shot once and got my rear end handed to me by Austin, then Undertaker interfered and gave him two Tombstones and I won. It was awesome.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
backstage assault really was a miserable game. only rented it, never bought it luckily. and to think it was a case study for what vince russo imagined the ideal form of wrestling to be.

i liked how in smackdown's career mode the titles would be defended on a regular basis whether you're involved or not. so sometimes you end up with, like, ic champ crash holly and it shows the belt on him in his intro, even in the regular vs mode now.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

shiksa posted:

i liked how in smackdown's career mode the titles would be defended on a regular basis whether you're involved or not. so sometimes you end up with, like, ic champ crash holly and it shows the belt on him in his intro, even in the regular vs mode now.

Wasn't Vince McMahon in the world title division in that game? So you could randomly get WWE Champion Vince.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm pretty sure I've talked about Mayhem in this thread before: I don't remember it being a bad game, just quite clunky and sadly not in the same ballpark as On Tour/Revenge. It had a large roster, some entertaining commentary with Tony and Brain ("Wake up Brain! He's doing that move again!"), and a limited yet funny create a wrestler feature (which actually allowed you to create wrestlers that were INVISIBLE, or just floating heads). It even let you do some basic but passable backstage hardcore nonsense, complete with the WCW TASER.

Backstage Assault was the really miserable WCW game. It was Mayhem, but somehow did everything so much worse. I remember being so disappointed and angry with it, especially since it was easier for me to watch WCW at the time and I really wanted a new WCW game. :(

EDIT: Also Mayhem had Mean Gene as an unlockable character, who introduced himself by saying "NOW ON HIS WAY TO THE RING... ME!". That's gold.

I mean, I guess it wasn't that bad, just clunky like you said. I used to love doing backstage hardcore matches because it seemed to trigger run-ins by other characters all the time. I think Hogan would always have Bischoff show up, for instance.And it was nice to have Tony and Brain's commentary. You had previously only gotten commentary in WWF games as far as I remember. Fuckin' Shane McMahon.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

WCW vs NWO revenge is better because La Parka is top tier

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was the first N64 game to fix the "wiggle the analog stick to escape a pinfall" glitch

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

shiksa posted:

i liked the nitro game because it had a million characters at least. wrestling games on playstation were preeeetty rough until wwf smackdown. attitude may have been the first time i was able to acknowledge that something i wanted to like was bad.
I can't remember which one, I think World Tour, but it was really popular among my friends at house parties and even like organized sleepovers at church and karate class and stuff. And it loving ruled that you could play the luchadors and actually win.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

The American Dream posted:

As far as I know revenge is the only video game ever made with two Jews on the cover.
Don't overlook WCW/NWO Thunder

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Don't overlook WCW/NWO Thunder

Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

E: Ah, DDP is.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 26, 2019

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

And it was nice to have Tony and Brain's commentary. You had previously only gotten commentary in WWF games as far as I remember. Fuckin' Shane McMahon.

It has been a long time, but I recall Tony & Bobby on Mayhem being better than they ever were on actual Nitro. Some of the lines Tony recorded for the game were legitimately funny at least.

I played a lot more of WWF War Zone (Vince & JR) and Attitude (Shane & Jerry Lawler). The commentary in War Zone was really repetitive and it sounded like they were taking turns doing play-by-play. Pretty awkward. Shane was kinda obnoxious, but they did actually sound more or less like they were calling a WWF TV show from that era. Jerry Lawler was about what you'd expect, less of the overt creepiness but he's still Jerry Lawler.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did they have Shane do it because it was in production around the time that JR had another Bell's Palsy attack right after his mother died?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did they have Shane do it because it was in production around the time that JR had another Bell's Palsy attack right after his mother died?

Probably. It was right around that time. And I guess they figured the name Shane McMahon would sell more games than Michael Cole or Kevin Kelly.

Also I'm remembering now that the WCW Nitro/Thunder games I was complaining about earlier did have commentary. It was a joke though. Tony or Bobby would drone the name of the move being executed, they would have a line for "[wrestler] is doing well/poorly" and a line for "[wrestler] wins" and that was it. And the game itself was really simple and easy. So if I played a match with DDP vs. Hogan, they'd say, "Pile-driver. Pile-driver. Pile-driver. Pile-driver. Hogan looks tired. Pile-driver. Diamond Cutter! 1. 2. 3. D-D-P Wins!" It was pathetic.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

at least they'd get the moves right, compared to modern games.

I remember one of the games for PSX....maybe it was Thunder where the cage was like 100 feet tall and you'd scale it like a spider then get to the top and be stuck for some reason. I never got the hang of it.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I think that was inexplicably most cage matches in wrestling games for the longest time. You'd climb at a steady pace, and then suddenly the gravity in the area increased tenfold and you had to mash to struggle to get over. The 2k games last I checked have a timing game, but you're still really climbing slow as gently caress compared to say, how fast you climb the cell.

Ladder matches have a similar issue. The early SD games you could win a ladder match in 10 seconds by grabbing the latter, climbing it in 1 second, and grabbing the belt instantly.

Honestly it's one of the hard things to capture about wrestling in video games. It's not a major logic disconnect until you're in control of a wrestler.

Also Warzone/Attitude gets a bad rap. They've aged horribly but they tried for their time and still do some things better than I see in current games. I actually really liked that ground strikes homed in and didn't just look like you flailing at your downed opponent. It gave the generic stomps and elbow drops some weight - something I felt was lacking in the last few 2k games I played. (2k15?)

Halloween Jack posted:

And it loving ruled that you could play the luchadors and actually win.

I always thought the Overall and stat system of the 2k games was kind of silly. They put way too much emphasis on the final number and you end up with poo poo like Roman Reigns being faster than some of the cruiserweights due to it being an average of all the stats, and then just pushing poo poo up that doesn't make sense to raise that average higher.

EugeneJ posted:

What was the first N64 game to fix the "wiggle the analog stick to escape a pinfall" glitch

Wrestlemania 2000, I believe. It turned it into something you do to deliberately job and not kick out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would love a WWE game that's just a collection of the loving insane storylines they've had over the last two decades of games. Undertaker possessing multiple wrestlers, Stephanie ordering you to murder construction workers, trying to escape WWF New York in a helicopter, etc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I would love a WWE game that's just a collection of the loving insane storylines they've had over the last two decades of games. Undertaker possessing multiple wrestlers, Stephanie ordering you to murder construction workers, trying to escape WWF New York in a helicopter, etc

Candice Michelle's magic wand turning you into a diva.

(It's been a long time since I played a wrestling video game.)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I would love another game in the style of WWE All Stars.

The "Fantasy Warfare" matches were really well done and cool. Just do more of those with random historical matchups.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NameHurtBrain posted:

I always thought the Overall and stat system of the 2k games was kind of silly. They put way too much emphasis on the final number and you end up with poo poo like Roman Reigns being faster than some of the cruiserweights due to it being an average of all the stats, and then just pushing poo poo up that doesn't make sense to raise that average higher.
It wouldn't be a WWE game if it didn't have rules telling you that some wrestlers are just better and you have to care more about them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Someone needs to make an Attitude Era wrestling sim game where you take the helm of WCW, ECW or WWF and try to take over the industry.

It’d be fun to play around with “what if” scenarios like what if Shawn Michaels went to WCW, or Hogan never left WWF. Of course I doubt WWE would sign off on such a project.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the big problem with wrestling games, historically, is that they cannot decide whether they're going to be a Fighting Game, an action brawler or a Sports Simulation. And then compounded with the insanely tight development cycle modern AAA franchise games suffer from, we're lucky anyone bothers with wrestling games at all.

I still say the best use of wrestlers in video games is to use their characters and mannerisms in non-wrestling stuff. John Cena vs Ninjas. Samoa Joe dresses like a princess and slam dunks on people. Okada rainmakering entire armies.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

the big problem with wrestling games, historically, is that they cannot decide whether they're going to be a Fighting Game, an action brawler or a Sports Simulation. And then compounded with the insanely tight development cycle modern AAA franchise games suffer from, we're lucky anyone bothers with wrestling games at all.

I still say the best use of wrestlers in video games is to use their characters and mannerisms in non-wrestling stuff. John Cena vs Ninjas. Samoa Joe dresses like a princess and slam dunks on people. Okada rainmakering entire armies.

Okada not knowing how to spell the word JUSTICE

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My perfect wrestling game would be like virtua fighter but with a really expanded chain grab escape system. Add in different styles too, fake Jun Kasai has to fight fake Volk Han and fake Kairi

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

coconono posted:

The Yakuza series agrees

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

It has been a long time, but I recall Tony & Bobby on Mayhem being better than they ever were on actual Nitro. Some of the lines Tony recorded for the game were legitimately funny at least.

Mayhem (or it might've been Backstage Assault) also gave us the great Bobby Heenan line "The Greco-Roman low blow"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The 2K series is fine if you want to do a realistic WWE heavyweight match from 2010.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Alaois posted:

It was the only wrestling game we had for PS1 and I always loved the Great Muta rename, BAD BLOOD

The NJPW series of games (Toukon Retsuden) were awesome for the PSX. I imported all 3 of them via the mail. The first one came out here re-skinned as Power Move Pro Wrestling. So yes we did get a good Playstation wrestling game, just nobody played it because it wasn't officially branded. Too bad Yukes never really innovated or changed the formula for the engine when they got the WWF license. They could have done great things.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Someone needs to make an Attitude Era wrestling sim game where you take the helm of WCW, ECW or WWF and try to take over the industry.

It’d be fun to play around with “what if” scenarios like what if Shawn Michaels went to WCW, or Hogan never left WWF. Of course I doubt WWE would sign off on such a project.

it's called total elite wrestling and theres multiple different iterations that all have a mod scene, definitely with at least a monday night wars mod for each of them.

i still havent gotten a handle on what it considers "good wrestling stories" but maybe someday i'll figure it out.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I forgot to mention another great part of WCW Mayhem: the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-TqZtup8dU

I still don't get how WCW went out of business if they could have just made their own audiences and new wrestlers with a 95 AGGRESSIVE RATING. The transition where Goldberg comes out is really cool though, fight me for it.

One thing I didn't like about the roster in that game was that there were a few popular wrestlers that you needed to unlock, namely Chris Jericho and Ric Flair. Jericho was excusable, as I don't think he even wrestled for the company after the game came out so it's likely just a case of dummying him out after he had already been programmed in, but blocking out the Nature Boy? Unlockable characters should be goofy extras or old guys from back in the day - your Mean Genes, Bischoffs, Doug Dellingers, Pattersons, Briscoes, Junkyard Dogs, Nikolai Volkoffs, etc. - not people you actually want to play as. Still, not as bad as Smackdown 2 for the Playstation which had the gall to make you unlock STONE COLD (I know he was out in real life at the time but still!).

Also, not enough games do the No Mercy thing where you can just do a massive Royal Rumble and if you eliminate any of the secret characters then you unlock them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

It wouldn't be a WWE game if it didn't have rules telling you that some wrestlers are just better and you have to care more about them.

In most of the newer ones you can set the abilities to 100 (or 90 or something if you prefer Realism) with all of the wrestlers you actually care to play or get a good match from. While in older games if you wanted some jobber character to be not worthless you had to grind for hours.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It was funny when they'd put guys like Mean Gene in the game. Some of them went the "as plausible as possible" route and like gave Paul Bearer a DDT and Jim Ross an tights-pull piledriver.

Then there were the ones that gave Joey Styles a crucifix powerbomb and Mae Young a Jackhammer.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

BGrifter posted:

Look up Total Extreme Wrestling.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

It was funny when they'd put guys like Mean Gene in the game. Some of them went the "as plausible as possible" route and like gave Paul Bearer a DDT and Jim Ross an tights-pull piledriver.

Then there were the ones that gave Joey Styles a crucifix powerbomb and Mae Young a Jackhammer.

WWF Attitude gave Paul Bearer a 450 splash named The Buffet Buster and it was great.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
WWE Network uploaded a grappling contest between Craig Pittman and Booker T at the WCW Power Plant.

https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/1101127387633332225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miSys2r63Ao

rovert fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I have zero interest in watching that. But I’m absolutely happy that this type of thing is there.