Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Farming for Octavia sucked and If you are new I would wait until you've unlocked her quest first to see if you actually still care enough about the game to get her.

She's a great frame and making people listen to your auditory vomit is just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fruity20 posted:

don't companies have patience anymore?
Nobody has patience any more. We are leaving the renaissance and back into another long, protracted age of stupidity.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fruity20 posted:

don't companies have patience anymore?

No, of course not. Now get back to delivering 20% growth from your record-breaking revenues last quarter.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

When you’re in the midst of the Nidus quest and having to fight in the Index, are you barred from running normal Index missions? I appear to be, which sucks if true since that’s mainly where I get my credits.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

dexefiend posted:

If I just want to try this game to play Octavia, is that a reasonable starting goal?
I got her through her quest (which i usually did as soon as they were available) and collecting her parts, and she's a really cool and insanely powerful class but it took me a long time, weeks easily. If that's the only thing you want and consider everything else along the long, long path (her most notable part is a 1/7 drop from a 20 minute survival that you need to craft keys to access to and that you need some semi-decent equipment to solo without breaking a sweat) annoyances then it's a terrible (sole) starting goal and you should buy her directly. Hope you like D minor pentatonic!

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 26, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Kyrosiris posted:

No, of course not. Now get back to delivering 20% growth from your record-breaking revenues last quarter.

I feel like this is what a corpus would say :thunk:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nobody has patience any more. We are leaving the renaissance and back into another long, protracted age of stupidity.

game crash when?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Hope you like D minor pentatonic!

Whole reason I want to play warframe: Yakkity Sax Mandachord

I always play what used to be called PBAE casters (point blank area of effect). The fact that I have a musical instrument is just a huge load of frosting on my cake.

Thanks guys

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mentalcontempt posted:

When you’re in the midst of the Nidus quest and having to fight in the Index, are you barred from running normal Index missions? I appear to be, which sucks if true since that’s mainly where I get my credits.

I just made some other quest active and then I could regular index.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Which is nuts, because investing is all about give dudes money now, get lots of money back later. So you'd think that give a little extra now to get a LOT more (i.e. commercial success vs flop) later would be right up their alley.

Modern investing is about forcing companies to do drastic stunts that are bad in the long term because you want to have bought in at a low point and not the peak value.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fruity20 posted:

game crash when?

it already in progress, op:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

So, I got Messa via the Prime thing as I was wanting some plat for booster. She's only at 15 or so atm, but is still hella fun.
Anyway, I notice that she has a passive bonus if you don't arm a melee weapon. Is it worth it?

I usually find that once my shield is gone then I'm pretty hosed, and I'm not sure that even 50% would help, but, I could be wrong since I'm a total noob, and didn't even know passives were a thing.

I kinda love my gunblade thing, but if the bonus is worth it, then I'd happily go without

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's not really worth it, Mesa puts out so much damage anyway that you're barely going to notice it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think i ever melee as mesa, anyway. you don't exactly need more killing power as mesa.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Mesa's passive is like +50 health without a melee weapon. Meaningless.

mentalcontempt posted:

Set another quest active and it should be fine. Or get a taxi, index with goons. :D

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've had MR26s ragequit over Mesa "stealing too many kills". Give her some decent energy pool and efficiency so you can toggle 4 on and off frequently to keep repositioning and throw some firerate mods among the classics (multishot, damage, possibly corrosive) on her regulators and she shreds insanely hard. And that's not even counting her (partially team support) damage buff 2 and defensive 3.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Total newbie, just applied to AKGOONS. Having a good time so far! I got to Venus, made the mistake of going back to Cetus to follow up on some quest email and got murdered repeatedly in the open-world area by horrible floating heads with blue lasers. I'm just going to skip that for now, I hope it's a case of "zone unlocks too early" and not "all enemies take this long to kill."

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're going to hang out on Cetus, stick to lower level bounties for now - and stay off the Plains after nightfall. There's stuff out there that you literally can't damage until you're deeper into the story.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Prop Wash posted:

got murdered repeatedly in the open-world area by horrible floating heads with blue lasers.
Those are impossible to kill for good for you at the moment, but they should only be roaming during the night. On the plus side, that also counts for the enemies and there's infighting, so these floaties can really gently caress up some strong enemies (including one in a quest).

There are enemies with invulnerability periods in the game - mostly bosses and specific mini-bosses - but usually time to kill in this game is absurdly short.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

They're impossible to kill until later in the story, but if you kite them to an eidolon lure in a grineer camp it will vacuum up their ghost form!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the answers. Good to know I was on the right track in this massive strange game.

Having said that, I'm stuck at how to build out Mesa now that she's approaching 30
I've looked at some build guides and the seem to be either multi-forma, or have primed/umbra mods which is a bit out of my range atm.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a basic build aimed at a beginner?
I don't mind spending 1 or 2 hundo platinum if need be, and I'll definitely forma the gently caress out of her if need be, but I just need a foundation. I have all the basics, and probably some other cool stuff (just got no idea what's cool though)
Oh I did buy Mesa's Waltz

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 26, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Thanks for the answers. Good to know I was on the right track in this massive strange game.

Having said that, I'm stuck at how to build out Mesa now that she's approaching 30
I've looked at some build guides and the seem to be either multi-forma, or have primed/umbra mods which is a bit out of my range atm.

I don't mind spending 1 or 2 hundo platinum if need be, and I'll definitely forma the gently caress out of her if need be, but I just need a foundation. I have all the basics, and probably some other cool stuff (just got no idea what's cool though)

Don't think too much about builds when you're starting out, just put some basic mods on your frames and weapons and go opening the star map and getting more suits and guns for your MR.

You'll get all the potatoes and formas from alerts or cracking relics, and after you're able to make some plat from selling some prime stuff, then you can think about making a specific build, and even at this point you're likely to get most of the stuff either handed out by goons or already have it from previous sessions.

Save your initial plat for Frame Slots.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
What's the best way to start? I am fine dropping like 50 bucks on a game like this.

What is the deal with the Twitch Prime thing?

In other words, how do I maximize my Warframe start?

Octavia, Trinity, and Saryn seem like my kinda space ninjas.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

:thunk:

:thunk::thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wqr2yk4Dco

:haw:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Save your money for at least a 50% off coupon, on PC they come up as login rewards and give a cash discount on platinum buys. Once you've got plat, the best way to spend it is more space for guns and frames - it's easy to get parts together for most stuff you'll want once you get the ball rolling

Twitch Prime gives you hell of good stuff for free by associating your Prime and Warframe accounts, do it if you've got Prime

The best thing you can do early on is get into a goon clan and cobble together a starter kit of mods and blueprints - do not feel a need to hesitate, we will mold you into the weapon you wish to be :hai:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Adolf Glitter posted:

Oh I did buy Mesa's Waltz

this is my current self-cooked low effort mesa build that seems to be working perfectly fine. regulators will need more forma when i level up target cracker and get primed pistol gambit. just use regular mods in place of continuity and target cracker for now it will be fine.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DoombatINC posted:

we will mold you into the weapon you wish to be we will mold you into the weapon we think it's best for you and make you think it was your idea all along :hai:

Just kidding of course. :v:

but bring corpro or we'll cut you. this one's not a joke

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

most people just use covert lethality so that teleport kills just about anything with one hit

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Samuringa posted:

Don't think too much about builds when you're starting out, just put some basic mods on your frames and weapons and go opening the star map and getting more suits and guns for your MR.

You'll get all the potatoes and formas from alerts or cracking relics, and after you're able to make some plat from selling some prime stuff, then you can think about making a specific build, and even at this point you're likely to get most of the stuff either handed out by goons or already have it from previous sessions.

Save your initial plat for Frame Slots.

Yeah, I've bought some plat since I was having at least £30 worth of fun so I don't mind splashing a wee bit. Goons have bee amazing and gifted me slots too, which was a nice inbox surprise.and have potatoes
I'm spending the majority on boosters though as it's really helping out

Awesome! posted:

this is my current self-cooked low effort mesa build that seems to be working perfectly fine. regulators will need more forma when i level up target cracker and get primed pistol gambit. just use regular mods in place of continuity and target cracker for now it will be fine.

These look like a great jumping off point, thanks. I think I've got most except the primed of course, but that'll come in time

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

most people just use covert lethality so that teleport kills just about anything with one hit

..that combo just killed 8 lvl 130 somethings in one hit

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

dexefiend posted:

Whole reason I want to play warframe: Yakkity Sax Mandachord

I have been told this does not work, as a warning. If that is incorrect I would love to know, it doesn't have to be a GOOD rendition.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

ElegantFugue posted:

I have been told this does not work, as a warning. If that is incorrect I would love to know, it doesn't have to be a GOOD rendition.

I have a Yakety Sax Mandachord version and it does work. It sounds annoying as hell after a minute, but it really does work. :v: I'd be happy to share it with anyone in clan who needs it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Ritznit posted:

I have a Yakety Sax Mandachord version and it does work. It sounds annoying as hell after a minute, but it really does work. :v: I'd be happy to share it with anyone in clan who needs it.

I'm gonna buy some plat as soon as I get a coupon and buy Octavia with it so please do

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ritznit posted:

Good god yes. What instruments does it need?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

note that most songs sound really bad with the default instruments so if you really want to go deep you will need a few of the 50 plat instument packs too

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Adolf Glitter posted:

These look like a great jumping off point, thanks. I think I've got most except the primed of course, but that'll come in time
i think i will out fleeting expertise instead of streamline today btw. you lose 15 seconds on shatter shield but its still almost a minute and save quite a bit of energy going into peacemaker mode.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Note that duration is effectively efficiency for channelled powers like Peacemakers, as it determines how often it ticks the cost.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah but turning the power on is all efficiency i believe. i tend to go into and out of peacemaker a lot since everything dies in 2 seconds

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I moderately lowered range so I can continue to bullet jump, hit 4, bullet jump, hit 4, ect... And the lowered range doesnt kill the circle that bad when you just wave it around the screen and everything dies in half a second..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the drain on channeled powers is a combination of duration and efficiency. for channeled powers, with only fleeting expertise (so 40% dur/160% eff) it's actually the same drain as having no eff/dur mods at all (100%/100%). of course, the initial energy cost is reduced normally. however, using both fleeting and streamline with no other duration modifiers (40% dur/ 190% eff) gets you down to minimal drain, which is 25% of base.

for non-channeled powers, efficiency only goes up to 175% so there is little point in taking it further.

none of this is all that important for mesa, since generally you'll toggle regulators on and off very frequently so you don't need to perfectly minimize the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Man I miss only using the Jat Kitaag on Mirage, it was so blindingly pretty. I'm really chuffed to see someone using it. Shine on you crazy diamond.