Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Outside of Orlando is just swamp. The everglades is much further south. There is nothing worth doing in Orlando, Disney included.

Can anyone explain why there are so many dentists open 24 hours a day in Orlando? I imagine these are just places that prescribe Oxy's day and night, but inquiring minds want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

n8r posted:

Can't forget about those Dole Whips!

Disney even has their own timeshare program which is just a stunning ripoff above and beyond the rest of it.

The frozen yogurt chain Menchie's has the exact same Dole Pineapple soft serve for 39 cents per ounce.

Disney Weddings are a powerful convergence of concentrated BWM. $3500 for a ceremony with up to 4 guests, no cake, no food, no reception, no lodging!

Get the more expensive package and you can get a 30 minute set with a costumed character for another $1,350

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

olylifter posted:

the podcast is great as well - i think the last episode comes out this week. I read something that Holmes is adamant that she's still going to change the world and will pull theranos out of the poo poo.

She scammed the Walton family, the DeVos family, and Rupert Murdoch out of drat near half a billion dollars. There's a good chance a jury might come back with a 'guilty but gently caress those people so no sentence' verdict.

She's like Dexter for billionaires. If we can love a serial killer, why not a con-person?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

last year my dad and I spent a week in Orlando...I'm not sure why we actually settled on it since I had said "dad we already went to Disney World in 2000, we've been to Sea World, we've DONE everything in Orlando. Why don't we go spend a week in the panhandle or in the Keys?" but he insisted we would have just as easy access to any of those activities if we were in central Florida.

Well we ended up not really leaving the Orlando area so I got to listen to dad complain for an entire week about how much money he was blowing through for such a short vacation. I mean, we still had fun in our one day at Disney World, another spent at Universal, but I really wanted to have been on a coast so we could go snorkeling all week, and also not have to listen to my dad complain about how much cheaper that option would have been. You're the one who booked the hotel after asking for my opinion dad, poo poo we could've gone to Hawaii and probably saved money.

On another note, I have a friend that recently went to Disney World over the new year. I can only imagine how much money she spent considering all the pictures I saw posted online, such as the "first time" welcome package at the resort she stayed at. But I guess she either has the money or doesn't care because in the past 10 years she has been to Disneyland 4 or 5 times and as near as I can tell she always goes the resort route.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you don't sign up for those character meals fast you get lovely characters. We got Chip and Dale. I'll leave it up to you to guess how far in advance we made those reservations.
Did they at least stay in character and pick up each other and throw them off ledges?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

canyoneer posted:

The frozen yogurt chain Menchie's has the exact same Dole Pineapple soft serve for 39 cents per ounce.

Disney Weddings are a powerful convergence of concentrated BWM. $3500 for a ceremony with up to 4 guests, no cake, no food, no reception, no lodging!

Get the more expensive package and you can get a 30 minute set with a costumed character for another $1,350

A full wedding for $3500 is extremely gwm.

Edit: we haven't done this for a while. :v:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Craptacular posted:

Get the package where you can shoot an RPG at a cow. https://71republic.com/2018/08/08/cambodia-tourists-buy-shoot-cows/

GWM: the salvagable cow bits probably feed the local villagers.

My brother was offered a rocket launcher and a cow for $100 USD when he was in Cambodia 10 years ago, but figured that traipsing into the jungle with a bunch of ex-Khmer Rouge dudes was Bad With Money and Bad With Life

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Sock The Great posted:

Can anyone explain why there are so many dentists open 24 hours a day in Orlando? I imagine these are just places that prescribe Oxy's day and night, but inquiring minds want to know.

Last time I was down there, about 6 years ago, I'm pretty sure I also saw a place that was offering a special on dentistry and Botox simultaneously, but yeah it was also open 24 hours. Similarly memorable, I had taken a county bus to get from the airport to the hotel, and I'm certain I never saw a higher concentration of vacant property that looked like it was office park industrial zoning.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Residency Evil posted:

A full wedding, as in including all the stuff for the reception? Yeah that sounds great but I'll bet the $3500 for Disney doesn't even get a photographer

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

A full wedding, as in including all the stuff for the reception? Yeah that sounds great but I'll bet the $3500 for Disney doesn't even get a photographer

It's just "you can legally say you got married at Disney World."

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beoCi6TFevU

Admit to running a Ponzi scheme live on stream. If Trump can do it so can this guy.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BMan posted:

Battlefield Vegas sounds like the only appealing thing in that whole town tbh

I paid 100 bucks to shoot a machine gun and it was worth it. It was near an In-N-Out too, so all in all, a great day.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh nice. I love that the burgers are still only like $2.69 even in Vegas.

$100 for a machine gun is expensive, but $105 for a machine gun and unforgettable burger luncheon is a GREAT deal

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

Board members probably didn’t make any real money. Their stock was fake stock that could someday become real stock. People like David Boies lost a lot of money because he took worthless shares in lieu of actual legal fees and expenses.

Mattis gets poo poo on for being a board member, but as far as I can tell he was recruited for ‘prestige’ and didn’t do anything. The corporate board had no real power and were largely kept in the dark.

Holmes patterned herself after Steve Jobs and they were eerily similar in how they both overpromised, lied, and abused others. But personal computers aren’t heavily regulated medical devices and Jobs had the Woz and other very smart people to back up his fanciful early claims. He also got really lucky when Apple bought NeXT since that failure was going to ruin him forever.

Mattis was there to sell it to the loving DoD, nothing more, nothing less.

Machine guns were the coolest thing I did in Vegas and the one thing I'm super glad I spent money on honestly.

tumblr hype man fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 27, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tumblr hype man posted:

I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that lobbying is going on in here!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

n8r posted:

Disney even has their own timeshare program which is just a stunning ripoff above and beyond the rest of it.

My wife and I took my daughter to Disneyland and then out of the blue the other day I got a beautiful, glossy advertisement mailed advertising that I could get "$2,000 off" my Disney Vacation Club membership.

It's not just a timeshare, it's a timeshare with really disgustingly disadvantageous math.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Barry posted:

Lodging was like $450/night and didn't even include some basic rear end buffets? WTF?

I figured rear end buffets were more of a Tampa thing, but I've never been.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Krispy Wafer posted:

But shooting a machine gun isn't dumb.

There's a place in Vegas that let's you drive a tank over a car. You going to say that's dumb too?

Machine gun rentals are an efficient means of turning money into fun for a very brief moment.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Liquid Communism posted:

Machine gun rentals are an efficient means of turning money into fun for a very brief moment.

I've heard that one before as "machine guns and fireworks are the fastest ways to turn money into noise"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

canyoneer posted:

I've heard that one before as "machine guns and fireworks are the fastest ways to turn money into noise"

Drag racing goes on that list as well, especially one someone makes the Money Shift.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The CoinStar machine at my Safeway has a sign on it advertising that you can now buy BitCoin with your loose change. The future is truly here. Congratulations, everyone.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat coinstar hurtin

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

we should have an honorary gang tag for anybody who has had a wedding for less than $3,500 and has receipts to prove it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/lukechilds/status/1100613365850767360

https://www.avoid-coinomi.com/

quote:

Coinomi multi-asset wallet poor implementation leads to sharing your plain-text passphrase with a third-party server. My passphrase was compromised and $60K-$70K worth of crypto-currency were stolen because of Coinomi wallet and how the wallet handled my passphrase. I’m disclosing this issue publicly because Coinomi refused to take the responsibility and all my attempts through private channels have failed.

it's longer than that but pure schaden

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Can I use Bitcoin to buy my Disney timeshare?

Better yet, can I buy a Bitcoin timeshare where I spend $$$$ every year to visit a server farm for a week? I want to see the magic happen right before my eyes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Better yet, can I buy a Bitcoin timeshare where I spend $$$$ every year to visit a server farm for a week? I want to see the magic happen right before my eyes.

you can rent them yes

not allowed to visit though because trade secrets

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

tumblr hype man posted:

Theranos had an agreement to sell their tech to the military, but then never filed any of the required documentation. They were never going to sell to the military because ironically the DoD that buys $600 hammers had more oversight and quality control than Wallgreens or Safeway.

Holmes put Mattis on the board for the same reason she picked Kissinger and Schultz. So that the company looked reputable and could secure more financing.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Ah yes, 'a Google employee went through all spell check API requests to get my private key and steal my money'. An instant classic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

Outside of Orlando is just swamp. The everglades is much further south. There is nothing worth doing in Orlando, Disney included.

Kennedy Space Center isn’t far and it’s pretty fun at least once.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

we should have an honorary gang tag for anybody who has had a wedding for less than $3,500 and has receipts to prove it

Justice of the Peace only takes cash where I am :(

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Spoiler alert: You can have a friend get "ordained" by the Universal Life Church and marry you for free, how could someone even spend $3500?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Zauper posted:

Ah yes, 'a Google employee went through all spell check API requests to get my private key and steal my money'. An instant classic.

hahahahaha

quote:

Anyone who is involved in technology and crypto-currency knows that a 12 random English words separated by spaces will probably be a passphrase to a crypto-currency wallet!

most people just call that a sentence

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

hahahahaha

most people just call that a sentence

I am a salesman of correct horse battery staples

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
They’re random words, so the entropy of the phrase should be relatively high compared to a normal sentence and that’s pretty easy to measure. You can narrow it down a lot from that alone.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Moatman posted:

They’re random words, so the entropy of the phrase should be relatively high compared to a normal sentence and that’s pretty easy to measure. You can narrow it down a lot from that alone.

The requests also bounced because they didn't contain an API key and thus weren't stored on the google servers (or so they claim), and were sent as HTTPS requests.

I mean, I'm not an engineer, but it feels like a lot of work to assume that someone at google is going through all spell check API requests looking for your passcode in the first place regardless of all that. Even if they are fairly 'apparent'. And that they only stole $50k, and only from one person? If everyone is right about how easy it is, wouldn't they have stolen more money / from more people?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sadus posted:

Spoiler alert: You can have a friend get "ordained" by the Universal Life Church and marry you for free, how could someone even spend $3500?

My friend who was so ordained officiated my wedding, so that part was free, and I was married at a state park, so the fee was about $60 or so. But just catering for 30 or so guests was $1200. If I'd had booze I could have tripled that, easily. Feeding and boozing 100+ guests will blow through $3500.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Noooooo one cares about what you spent on your wedding.

NOOOOO ONNNNE.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Indians do

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zauper posted:

The requests also bounced because they didn't contain an API key and thus weren't stored on the google servers (or so they claim), and were sent as HTTPS requests.

I mean, I'm not an engineer, but it feels like a lot of work to assume that someone at google is going through all spell check API requests looking for your passcode in the first place regardless of all that. Even if they are fairly 'apparent'. And that they only stole $50k, and only from one person? If everyone is right about how easy it is, wouldn't they have stolen more money / from more people?

Yeah, this is stupid on the part of the authors but not actually very risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

And they are all about to die in a nuclear firestorm so why would anyone want to emulate them?