Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Speaking of TAY, when it got brought up in a discord I was in, I finally decided to go look at who was responsible for this train wreck.

I was expecting Takashi Tokita to be someone unrelated, or potentially someone completely new to the scene, but no. His credits include " Lead game designer and scenario writer" for FF4, and more astoundingly to me, Directoral credit on Chrono Trigger and Live a Live the latter of which he also wrote the scenario for and did the event design for.

I guess this is a case of a talented director essentially petering out. He does mention the episodic nature of TAY was directly inspired by his work on Live a Live. But man, it really felt like this game was made by someone who didn't have a clue.

To his credit, TAY was originally designed to be an episodic mobile game, right? I suspect he was working under lovely constraints asked to make a sequel to one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time under that set of conditions. Maybe it would've been a much better game if it were intended to be a full-scale DS/PSP release from the beginning.

Who knows, though. Maybe he just lost his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

To his credit, TAY was originally designed to be an episodic mobile game, right? I suspect he was working under lovely constraints asked to make a sequel to one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time under that set of conditions. Maybe it would've been a much better game if it were intended to be a full-scale DS/PSP release from the beginning.

Who knows, though. Maybe he just lost his mind.

The interview I watched, he did directly say that he wanted to tell an episodic RPG, because he wanted to essentially do another project like Live a Live. He did mention the dev team was essentially half and half "People who worked on FF4" and "People who are fans of FF4" with the latter mostly suggesting story things. Maybe that was it, or maybe, like you said, he just went crazy. He did ALSO make The Bouncer after all.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One small thing to its credit: Edge jacking Rubicant's dumb cape and that being integrated into both his artwork and sprite is a pretty cool aesthetic touch and character beat in a sequel. There's a lot of kinda-neat poo poo like that - Golbez being a party member, older versions of Palom and Porom - that would've been cool for fans in a better game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Live a Live supposed to be good or something? You bolded it, which seems to be the implication, but the name sounds stupid as hell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

Is Live a Live supposed to be good or something? You bolded it, which seems to be the implication, but the name sounds stupid as hell.

It's good, so you wouldn't have heard of it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Ok I believe you

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

OK based on a google search it looks like this was a DS only thing? And also it's completely hidden from the player? What the gently caress SE :psyduck:

Tons of RPGs have hidden mechanics. I remember learning about the Crisis Level system in FFVIII and exploiting it to win in a hard mod.

Nobody ever tells you about that poo poo in the actual game despite the fact it has a huge impact on Quistis' Limit Breaks.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

NikkolasKing posted:

Tons of RPGs have hidden mechanics. I remember learning about the Crisis Level system in FFVIII and exploiting it to win in a hard mod.

Nobody ever tells you about that poo poo in the actual game despite the fact it has a huge impact on Quistis' Limit Breaks.

The what now?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

BrightWing posted:

The what now?

IIRC the closer you are to death, better chances of using limits and they get stronger or some poo poo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BrightWing posted:

The what now?

There's something like four levels of Crisis that determine how powerful your Limit Breaks are. This matters a lot with Quistis because if she has Crisis Level 4 when she does Bad Breath she puts more status effects on the target than if she was only at 1. In the mod I played the Vitality 0 status effect was only possible if you used the correct Crisis Level of her limit break Acid because, like Bad Breath, its status effects also varied depending on CL. Aura was similarly hard to get so you had to get the right Crisis Level for Mighty Guard in order for her to apply it along with the other buffs.

CL is effected by things such as low HP, status ailments on you, other party members being KO'ed, etc.. Basically in the final boss fight I'd wait for Griever to use a super move to lower her HP very low then put Pain on her (Blind, Silence and Poison) to increase her CL as much as possible. Crisis Level 4 Shockwave Pulsar does something like 20,000 damage IIRC.

I had no idea about it either until the mod made me research it. There is a lot of cool stuff in FFVIII's gameplay but it's so piss easy and broken you'll never see it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 26, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I just knew lower HP made for better odds on the better versions of Renzoku. Didn't know it categorized it so.

FF 8 is weiiiiiird.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I always did that limit with her where she eats the enemy or whatever.

I dunno, I could be misremembering it. I played through 8 exactly once, when it came out. When I was in high school. I’m old.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I beat it at level 16ish by slapping on no encounters as soon as I could. Bosses have plenty of decent magic to grab, and of course Renzo spam is king. Had fun, thought the plot was kinda all over but it's fairly ambitious given what it is. Id take a full on remake of some kind that cleans up the writing and reworks just... everything about the economy of junctions gladly. Maybe a small subplot about how all their power is from stolen magic and summons, make losing it all at the final dungeon poetic or something.

Also gunblades are cool and I want more.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrightWing posted:

I beat it at level 16ish by slapping on no encounters as soon as I could. Bosses have plenty of decent magic to grab, and of course Renzo spam is king. Had fun, thought the plot was kinda all over but it's fairly ambitious given what it is. Id take a full on remake of some kind that cleans up the writing and reworks just... everything about the economy of junctions gladly. Maybe a small subplot about how all their power is from stolen magic and summons, make losing it all at the final dungeon poetic or something.

Also gunblades are cool and I want more.

FF8 is such a broken mess that I have to pick how i'm going to break it differently eacch playthrough.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

FF8 is such a broken mess that I have to pick how i'm going to break it differently eacch playthrough.

Ain't it the best :allears:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Quistis is a real stinky girl huh

EDIT: This is several years too late, but apparently there was a fan retranslation of FF7 done back in like 2014-15? Can anyone who has played it comment on whether it's good or not?

Gologle fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 27, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Can they PLEASE put War of the Lion on the god damned switch

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

S.J. posted:

Did you say final fantasy tactics compilation?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Did you say final fantasy tactics compilation?

God I hope so, I want the actually fun Tactics games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barudak posted:

God I hope so, I want the actually fun Tactics games.

he already mentioned it so that's already stated dude

Barudak
May 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

he already mentioned it so that's already stated dude

Nah, they only mentioned the bad one

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

S.J. posted:

Only if they fix the drat slowdown and tone down the pretentiousness of the English script by at least 50%.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is WotL on any other platform besides PSP/Vita?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Android and iOS

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Android and iOS

Ugh. Any platform with an actual controller?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Isn't the slowdown already fixed on the mobile versions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah there's no slowdown in the mobile ports

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't have a Switch so stop asking for every game to be ported to the Switch, it makes me feel excluded.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

MarsDragon posted:

Only if they fix the drat slowdown and tone down the pretentiousness of the English script by at least 50%.

Ugh... bring back "Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or god." Much better than whatever faux-Shakespearean thing Delita says now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't really mind the wotl translation except for the change to skill names which throws me completely off. Guts into Mettle wtf why?

Also port it to the switch or whatever but more than that give us a pc port!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They are never going to spend the money to get someone to touch the FFT script again, assuming that game even ever gets a port

I don't even get the complaints, really. Flowery semi-Shakespearean dialogue fits with the tone of the game way better than barely translated gibberish.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 27, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't have a Switch so stop asking for every game to be ported to the Switch, it makes me feel excluded.

Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

TMPR is bugged in the original version and does nothing and you won’t get FAST on a ninja until very late in the game.

I haven’t played any of the remakes and the last time I played the original was 15 years ago, but I think black magic is really good and important. Healing is very limited and there are plenty of random encounters that can be worse than bosses. A party member capable of clearing the field of dangerous enemies quickly brings a lot to your party. Even with the best armor, a knight is still vulnerable to status effects and spells and can only kill one enemy at a time.

Healing is limited until you have the HEAL equipment spread across party members. At which point you kill all but one enemy and use the HEAL gear to recover hp before killing the enemy.

Phantasium posted:

Yoko Taro presents a new game in the same universe as the quintet games.

Nier: Automata is actually a prequel to Robotrek.

The White Dragon posted:

my opinion of dragon quest 11 is, that scene where the two guys jump off the cliff to escape made me want to play Noted Much Better Game Than Any Dragon Quest Ever, Suikoden 2

:hmmyes:

I wish this was the timeline where Suikoden kept going and with the same quality of Suikoden 2. Or even Suikoden 5.

Instead we got 4 which tanked the series and even 5 couldn't save it despite being the second best game in the series. :smith:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
It would have been interesting to see where Suikoden would have gone had Murayama been able to stay with it.

Hey, he's not busy. Let him direct FFXVI, gently caress it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bentacos posted:

It would have been interesting to see where Suikoden would have gone had Murayama been able to stay with it.

Hey, he's not busy. Let him direct FFXVI, gently caress it.

at this point, I can't even imagine what XVI is going to be like. I kinda wish we'd go in a direction kind of like XIV but offline, at least setting-wise--I like the fantasy of it a lot from the free month I played, and we've done high tech for the last two main entries.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there even a full-time team working on XVI at this point? I thought we all had to wait for FF7 Remastered, another game that will never come out, before the new one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

alpha_destroy posted:

Ugh... bring back "Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or god." Much better than whatever faux-Shakespearean thing Delita says now.

Since WoTL isn't Shakesphearian that's impossible.

Also WoTL, being an actual good translation with good writing for said translation, should take nothing from the original. Which does not have either and any good qualities from the original Japanese only come out despite it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah there's no slowdown in the mobile ports

I feel like if anything they sped up a bunch of poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I homebrewed my Vita just to play wotl without the slowdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Is there even a full-time team working on XVI at this point? I thought we all had to wait for FF7 Remastered, another game that will never come out, before the new one.

I doubt they've started anything on it since they're still working on FF7R and DLC for XV