Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

they've done that before, haven't they?

I'm pretty sure they've always released the preview with or before the backstory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So is he Demonstration Man but healing

'cause that looks an aaaaaaaaawful lot like a sticky launcher

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

new hero looks boring as gently caress, like something out of Fortnite

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Up on PTR and page is up on the main site. Hooray the really irritating Bastion mystery hero stomps are dead with him.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/baptiste/

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh my god how does the immortality field work.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Sockser posted:

Demonstration Man

Lmao

I'm imagining the guy at my Costco demonstrating a vitamix blender

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rirse posted:

Hooray the really irritating Bastion mystery hero stomps are dead with him.

You think? It seems like it'd make these even worse: an immortal Bastion with double damage?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SKULL.GIF posted:

You think? It seems like it'd make these even worse: an immortal Bastion with double damage?

Yeah the fact of a Bastion's vulnerability while in turret mode is the only thing that mitigates him?.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh my god how does the immortality field work.

Probably by pressing Q, guessing from looking at the other abilities. I like that he's got a bit of other healers' powers (Mercy's damage amp, Lucio/Brigitte's AOE heal, Ana's grenades, Zen's no-killsies field) going on, but makes them mesh together in a new way.

YOU MIGHT SAY ITS LIKE A CREOLE

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I would assume that there is not actual shield for the immortality, so you just need to pop the flag before hitting the enemy.

Unless the field can go around corners in which case :stare:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Probably by pressing Q, guessing from looking at the other abilities. I like that he's got a bit of other healers' powers (Mercy's damage amp, Lucio/Brigitte's AOE heal, Ana's grenades, Zen's no-killsies field) going on, but makes them mesh together in a new way.

YOU MIGHT SAY ITS LIKE A CREOLE

His ultimate is the amplification matrix or whatever.

The immortality field is an actual ability. I wonder what the cooldown is and how hard it is to kill.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you take a gander at his hero page on the playoverwatch it looks like it lasts about 6 or 7 seconds total and is generated by a floating beacon that seems to be high enough in the air that it wouldn't be easy to cover with orisa or reinhardt's shields

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would assume that there is not actual shield for the immortality, so you just need to pop the flag before hitting the enemy.

Unless the field can go around corners in which case :stare:

Ginette Reno posted:

His ultimate is the amplification matrix or whatever.

The immortality field is an actual ability. I wonder what the cooldown is and how hard it is to kill.

Yeah and it basically has a "this far and no further" effect on health, everyone's still shot to hell when the field drops, just not fully dead. It's got to be a longer cool down though, maybe not as long as the res for mercy but it ain't some 8 second throwaway unless the generator is real easy to kill and can't go through walls.

The blurb says it can be destroyed but it doesn't show the bastion shooting at it so no idea if you need to be inside the field to destroy it, maybe it's on E then and the AOE heal is on shift, with that amp field being the Q and the healing grenades being M2. :shrug:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 26, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kinda think the immorality matrix should been the ult and amplifier be the E move.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rirse posted:

Kinda think the immorality matrix should been the ult and amplifier be the E move.

That was my first reaction as well

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
the amp matrix sounds insane...I wonder if you can drive a dva bomb through it to make it more lethal...HA HA HA HA throwing a loving mei blizzard through it and it enhances the radius...that would be insane but it likely only increases damage and healing that passes through it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

mei's frost beam got buffed to do a massive zero point five more damage per hit

watch the gently caress out

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

AkumaHokoru posted:

the amp matrix sounds insane...I wonder if you can drive a dva bomb through it to make it more lethal...

KarQ is playtesting Baptiste on Twitch and he believes that you could do this. Or shoot Hanzo dragons through it or whatever else.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

megane posted:

mei's frost beam got buffed to do a massive zero point five more damage per hit

watch the gently caress out

it isn't much but it will kill some of the chars she had trouble finishing off..maybe road v mei wont result in them both getting bored and walking away now either.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Berzerker posted:

KarQ is playtesting Baptiste on Twitch and he believes that you could do this. Or shoot Hanzo dragons through it or whatever else.

I thought Hanzo's ult couldn't be damage boosted anymore.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If they want to make Mei relevant, have her freeze slow healing. Not block it like Biotic, but slow it down by like 20%. Maybe even drop the complete freeze and just have it slow walk speed and healing. Would help vs GOATS and give her a better role as a CC hero.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I would say that Baptiste+Bastion+Orisa+double damage wall would peel open goats with the sheer amount of damage but then I remembered Dva exists and would just nullify all that damage.

Still like his abilities.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yeah the annoying thing about defending against goats with bunker is that they can just ping pong from cover to cover while cycling matrix/shields until they get to where the bastion is

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Revert DMatrix to the way it was at release where it had an actual cooldown

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Seagull doing some qp with new guy if you're at work but are thirsty http://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like the widow and soldier ult changes

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
We Hear You about GOATS, and have moved to shake up the meta from teams of meat getting healed for 250hps smashing into each other until one runs out of ultimates. In order to continue this objective we've introduced [scans yellow notepad] a multiply and redundantly AoE healing, self-healing, DPS support with a built-in damage boost/healing boost like a better biotic grenade/coalescence, and also a button that literally prevents people from dying for a set amount of time.

*fade to black, OW theme plays*

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 26, 2019

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

We Hear You about GOATS, and have moved to shake up the meta from teams of meat getting healed for 250hps smashing into each other until one runs out of ultimates. In order to continue this objective we've introduced [scans yellow notepad] a multiply and redundantly AoE healing, self-healing, DPS support with a built-in damage boost/healing boost like a better biotic grenade/coalescence, and also a button that literally prevents people from dying for a set amount of time.

*fade to black, OW theme plays*

From watching Jjonak and Fitzy play him for a while now he can be plugged into anything, but he suddenly makes the likes of Orisa and Bastion tantalizingly viable

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Ults mitigating damage like lucio, brigitte, and zenyatta kinda form the basis for the problem with goats, since they can cycle these ults multiple times through a long enough combat where no one dies.

The ult being a damage bonus seems like better design this moment, since it can end fights nearly instantly. The invulnerability skill can be played around unlike most of the goat support ults that you just kinda have to wait out

i have no doubt that "big bad voodoo" was the ult initially

kaleedity fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 26, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

kaleedity posted:

Ults mitigating damage like lucio, brigitte, and zenyatta kinda form the basis for the problem with goats, since they can cycle these ults multiple times through a long enough combat where no one dies.

... The invulnerability skill can be played around unlike most of the goat support ults that you just kinda have to wait out

I agree with this, yet in getting timings on support ults, and pressuring with as few resources as possible to bait them out, you are also playing around those abilities. Meanwhile there's a 20 second cooldown ability that, itself, utterly nullifies deadeye/pulsebomb/minefield etc, lets you hang out in sniper lanes with impunity and so on.

It's still super early and I don't mean to get too crazy with the hot takes after literally minutes of seeing him played by t500s on stream in customs, but while he doesn't seem OP by himself it seems like in concert with a brig, lucio, ana, etc he just ossifies a lot of issues that make playing OW feel like such a chore. And its a drat shame because I love pretty much every other change in this patch.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

I agree with this, yet in getting timings on support ults, and pressuring with as few resources as possible to bait them out, you are also playing around those abilities. Meanwhile there's a 20 second cooldown ability that, itself, utterly nullifies deadeye/pulsebomb/minefield etc, lets you hang out in sniper lanes with impunity and so on.

It's still super early and I don't mean to get too crazy with the hot takes after literally minutes of seeing him played by t500s on stream in customs, but while he doesn't seem OP by himself it seems like in concert with a brig, lucio, ana, etc he just ossifies a lot of issues that make playing OW feel like such a chore. And its a drat shame because I love pretty much every other change in this patch.

It doesn’t nullify those ults though, it takes everyone down to 50hp. That’s one biotic grenade to wipe the team.

So really it’s a boost to Ana POTGs

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It doesn’t nullify those ults though, it takes everyone down to 50hp. That’s one biotic grenade to wipe the team.

So really it’s a boost to Ana POTGs

Assuming the other two supports on the team do nothing but sit on their thumbs during its uptime (e; and also batiste does not use his aoe heals), yes this will be the case.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 27, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The drone also only has 200ish hp and sits stationary in midair, I'm sure a coordinated team will have it dead in a fraction of a second. It's too early to tell if that's enough of a weakness for what it does, though.

e: on the other hand ofc DMatrix exists so :shrug:

e2: take a drink every time the result of a teamfight hinges entirely on DMatrix

megane fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 26, 2019

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that new hero is gonna be a nightmare

on the other hand, the way his super jump works is neat

e: looking at the patch notes and gently caress yea they're undoing the soldier nerf. idk why they lowered his damage in the first place when he wasn't even op to begin with. the pharah change is also nice and the boost to torb's health is a godsend. on the other hand, stop buffing sombra

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 27, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The fact that Baptiste's nano grenades are not on any cooldown and just need to be reloaded PLUS they come in cartridges of 10 right now seems insane.

What's his Burst HPS? Did anyone do the math here?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Jayne is doing scrims with Baptiste in Ana goats and I want to die just looking at this poo poo.

Turns out you don't need transcendence when you clear 300hps with bionade/regen field/rightclicks/invuln field every 12 seconds. sixteen thousand fuckin healing per 10 minutes.

e; the problem with "Baptiste is good in bunker comps"--and I agree he is to the degree bunker comps are good--is that the counterplay to his ult is pressing W, which happens to be a thing that speedboosted, 300hps triple tank is really good at doing.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 27, 2019

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm watching custa atm and he survived a dva bomb with the invuln shield. it did also push him into the pit, but the explosion isn't what killed him. I guess if the shield gets destroyed from the same hit that should kill you, it's still in effect

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

Jayne is doing scrims with Baptiste in Ana goats and I want to die just looking at this poo poo.

Turns out you don't need transcendence when you clear 300hps with bionade/regen field/rightclicks/invuln field every 12 seconds. sixteen thousand fuckin healing per 10 minutes.

e; the problem with "Baptiste is good in bunker comps"--and I agree he is to the degree bunker comps are good--is that the counterplay to his ult is pressing W, which happens to be a thing that speedboosted, 300hps triple tank is really good at doing.

I have no idea why they gave him both the grenades and healing field.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It's really cool to play a team based first person shooter that is invigorating and exciting on first release but dies a death of a thousand cuts via the addition of new content that necessarily isn't given the same time, treatment, or strategic vision as content produced before the game's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I have no idea why they gave him both the grenades and healing field.

the grenades are for others the field is for everyone including him.
if he had no self heal with his kit he would get dunked on repeatedly. he'd be super vulnerable to flanks since the recharge times on everything he has is so high.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 27, 2019