Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The priority of the container determines if it gets loaded first and how much of a priority it is to load it, yeah. I always set things like my slime or refined metal containers at ~7 so that poo poo gets moved. The metal mainly because I only open the volcano area to collect it all and I want them to move that gold into cold water ASAP so I can seal up that steam cooker of a section.

The priority of the job itself should also matter but would not be surprised if this errand update messed with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The priority of the container definitely affects them picking stuff up without being explicitly told to. I use that fact all the time for boxes of only slime, and boxes of coal only next to generators*. Not sure about explicit sweep commands, but I would assume it would do that also (I.e. if they’d pick it up without orders, they’d still pick it up when ordered, right?)

* and critter feeders — I always assumed that was a Supply job, but now that I think of it, who knows.

It's Storage. If you check the Errands tab on the feeder on Q2 it'll show you the job category.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
With containers, you need to both have the container above 5 priority AND have a dupe that has the sweep job (tidy) at at least High priority, otherwise it still won't get done. The Storage priority specifically states that it's only on whenever there's nothing else for a dupe to do.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 26, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How do you make this useful? I have a gold volcano and an iron volcano.

https://imgur.com/n3dasqy

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mayveena posted:

When it’s cooled down enough to solidify, it’s already refined metal. A gold volcano will give you enough gold to support an insane amount of useful tile/wire in time and the iron volcano will make enough for more steel than you’ll ever need. It basically lets you skip metal refining until you need steel for space. Having early access to a gold volcano is like the second most important thing for my games now, it’s so so good.

Set up some system to bring that liquid metal and the room’s temperature down to like 200C, and you’ll have a constant supply of refined metal you just need to collect and store somewhere colder. A big tank of cool water is excellent for this, the heat capacity of the giant tank of water will drop the metal to the water temperature in a couple cycles while the water itself changes like a degree.

As for the room, At first this cooling can be as simple as just letting the heat dissipate into the surrounding areas you don’t care about. Later the same techniques as a cool steam vent will work, you aren’t aiming for actual cold though, just cool enough to have the metal come out and solidify into sweepable debris instantly.

Don’t worry about setting up some complicated automated collection, just seal the room up with double layer insulated tile, cool it down as much as you can. When you want the metal, crack the wall open, sweep it all up, and reseal the wall. It’s like Christmas morning every time you crack open that wall and go from 0t to 20t of refined gold.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 26, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Molten iron and gold flowin around the base, that rules.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Mayveena posted:

One of the systems to transfer heat via automated doors into a steam turbine room will cool that gold down right quick. Once you've got the gold cooled until solid, build a shitload of tempshift plates out of the gold. The building mechanics will cap the temperature at 45C and destroy the remainder of the heat.

I think you have too much gold there though, and you're probably going to end up with actual tiles of gold instead of the already-mined chunks. If this happens, you're going to lose half the gold volume :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks! I'll have to look up how the steam turbine system works.

Hey is there an Astroneer thread here on SA? I couldn't find one through Google.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If the steam turbine is too daunting, you can also use the door system to pull heat into polluted water pre-sieving -- you just won't get anything useful from the heat (except a shitload of gold).

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It was somewhat finnicky but I once used a gold volcano to boil off polluted water then mine out and remove the dirt for fertilizer. Dumping the polluted water directly on to the gold is rough as it boils, then the dirt is in a pile of molten gold and usually melts into sand I think so I had to separate the gold chamber and the polluted water chamber, let so much heat gather in the water chamber, dump a few drops in at a time and let it boil off. Like I said a little finicky, but I was pretty happy with infinite dirt for fertilizer and cooled gold out the other end.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Mayveena posted:

Make a moat :black101:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

User0015 posted:

Make a moat :black101:

Gold-plated boiled hatches, sauteed in polluted water.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Hello Sailor posted:

polluted water.

Don't hold back. You know what that yellow liquid is.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Watch Out Where the Hatches Go and Don’t You Eat that Yellow Gold

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

Katt posted:

A potential golden shower? :pedo:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Katt posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of a really old blog that had a story about an American of Indian descent, who visited family in India and contracted hepatitis A because he'd been served food made with "spiced water", aka untreated water from the Ganges.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SteelReserve posted:

A potential golden shower? :pedo:

Eau de Trump

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Ratzap posted:

Eau de Trump

On an entirely unrelated note, I wonder what happens if you pump PW through a shower...

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
When breaking out of the starting biome what's the best way to deal with the gases? Right now I just throw up a water lock and make them go through that but the stress adds up pretty fast then I have to lock them in my base until the calm down.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Demon_Corsair posted:

When breaking out of the starting biome what's the best way to deal with the gases? Right now I just throw up a water lock and make them go through that but the stress adds up pretty fast then I have to lock them in my base until the calm down.

If you build fairly symmetrical inside the starting biome you have to worry less about hydrogen, chloride and carbon dioxide. 4 tile high,16 tile wide rooms and 3 tile wide ladder shafts so the gases have enough room to move around. When a room needs doors, stack two pneumatic doors on top of each other so hydrogen can still move upwards. See more than 3 tiles of polluted oxygen together? Build a deodorizer there. And never pick a duplicant with Flatulence.

Unless it's Stinky. Because that is just hilarious.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Demon_Corsair posted:

The first fourth-tier tech I research is gas reservoirs. They're pretty large (5w x 3h), but if you're not going to be using the space for anything but traveling or resource gathering, it's not a big deal. They can store multiple types of gas at once, up to 150 kg total.

You don't even need to build miles of pipes or wires; just plunk a reservoir and hamster wheel* down next to each other. Build two manual airlocks: one between them and the rest of the base and one between them and the gas. Leave a little space between the second airlock and the gas to throw a pump in, then wire/pipe everything up and mine out the space between the gas and the pump.

Once the gas is gone, you can tear down everything except the reservoir and build them someplace else with a new one. Leave the reservoir there until you're ready to deal with it. Plus, reservoirs take 400 kg copper ore each, so you can start combining them if you accidentally smelt all your loose copper.

*The manual generator often gets overlooked once you get any other type of generator, but it's pretty great for remote temporary projects.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

If you build fairly symmetrical inside the starting biome you have to worry less about hydrogen, chloride and carbon dioxide. 4 tile high,16 tile wide rooms and 3 tile wide ladder shafts so the gases have enough room to move around. When a room needs doors, stack two pneumatic doors on top of each other so hydrogen can still move upwards. See more than 3 tiles of polluted oxygen together? Build a deodorizer there. And never pick a duplicant with Flatulence.

Unless it's Stinky. Because that is just hilarious.

When you do 3 tier wide shafts is it space ladder space?

I had been doing 2 wide but it makes sense to make room for transport tubes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I do empty - ladder - empty which later turns into empty - ladder - fire pole.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

priznat posted:

Yes. Even you aren't using that third space for tubes (yet) it can still become an airflow tile with a decor item on top for that decor overkill.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice. Does anyone do "utility" levels in between actual levels? Like go 4 high room, 2 high utility, 4 high room etc.. I stick stuff like storage, batteries, transformers, oxidizers (under airflow tiles) in there. If the dupes never need to go in there (other than the storage) they don't lose decor/morale right?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

priznat posted:

I do the 3 meter wide shafts that way and recently realized I could shave a bit off travel times by adding 2 more ladder tiles to the top of the ladder.

If the top of the ladder is even with the floor the dupe is going to, the dupe will spend a second pulling themselves to the top before they jump across.

If the top of the ladder is only one meter above the floor, dupes crossing the shaft to the other side will stop to climb to the top of the ladder as though it was a solid tile.

At two meters above, neither the dupes traveling vertical to horizontal or horizontal to horizontal are slowed down by the top of the ladder.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

priznat posted:

Nice. Does anyone do "utility" levels in between actual levels? Like go 4 high room, 2 high utility, 4 high room etc.. I stick stuff like storage, batteries, transformers, oxidizers (under airflow tiles) in there. If the dupes never need to go in there (other than the storage) they don't lose decor/morale right?

Yes and yes, as long as the ugliness is out of sight they don't care. But I've come up with a stupid gimmick that completely negates the need to care about overall base aesthetics.

Not very optimal (especially the grooming/feeding area) but here you can see I use critter lures and water barriers to compress huge swarms of shine(/etc) bugs into a small column that hits the entire barracks for insane decor overload. The walls/doors are all transparent so all of the decor overlaps. Once the sun bugs evolved to royal/coral/abyss the metal sculptures became completely redundant, with 10k+ decor from bugs. Auto-sweeper is there to turn lower-tier eggs into omelettes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does shine bug decor break the decor cap?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lmao that owns. Blinding the dupes so they don’t care about decor :haw: (jk)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

bird food bathtub posted:

Does shine bug decor break the decor cap?
I'm not sure the cap is properly implemented, because it's easy to get above +120 just with metal tiles and as indicated in the screenshot the dupe's profile says the "current environmental decor" can reach tens of thousands, but even with ludicrous stacking like this they won't exceed +12 morale from high decor.

But since they need some downtime for eating and ~3h sleep you can overload them with so much excess decor during that time that the time-averaged value never gets below +120 even if the rest of your base is a hideous landfill.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

priznat posted:

I tried having utility corridors like that once, but it didn't really jell with me. Now I just stick with a room with transformers, batteries and coal/hydrogen generators on the side of the inner base. I believe the word for that would be "scullery"? It's still connected to the inner base, but it's not connected to anything else besides having some airflow tiles to let the CO2 flow out. I leave some room for decor items to slightly offset the hit from heavy-watt wire, but in general I try to avoid the dupes from having to go in there. I even build the storage containers for the coal generators right outside the door to that area, until I have someone who can setup an auto-sweeper.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 1, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

silentsnack posted:

a hideous landfill.

Found my next colony name.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

silentsnack posted:

Yes and yes, as long as the ugliness is out of sight they don't care. But I've come up with a stupid gimmick that completely negates the need to care about overall base aesthetics.

Not very optimal (especially the grooming/feeding area) but here you can see I use critter lures and water barriers to compress huge swarms of shine(/etc) bugs into a small column that hits the entire barracks for insane decor overload. The walls/doors are all transparent so all of the decor overlaps. Once the sun bugs evolved to royal/coral/abyss the metal sculptures became completely redundant, with 10k+ decor from bugs. Auto-sweeper is there to turn lower-tier eggs into omelettes.

You should work in a solar panel or two, with the amount of higher tier bugs there you can probably get the near full 400w out of them. Owns either way.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Next fun question. How does the prioritization of storage containers work? I built some near where I was excavating, copied the settings from my previous containers, and now I'm watching my dupes run past the newly built ones to drop the stuff off at the far away ones. Does the game prioritize bins with similar items first?

I know the answer is to just give them a higher priority, but the behavior seemed strange to me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think there’s a bug with storage this update, because I just had a weird situation as well.

Building a second SPOM, decide to sweep the area once the digging and walls are done. I have built 3 storage containers next to it. I watch as they pick up stuff, move away from the SPOM and those containers, walk past two dozen other storage containers (at 5 priority) with plenty of room, continue walking towards my inner base, drop off their atmo suit, walk towards the conveyor loader and put it in there. And then the stuff got loaded by conveyor into one of previously mentioned two dozen storage containers.

Setting the priority of the conveyor loader to 3 did nothing to change that. They continued to walk that whole distance.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Do thimble reeds require irrigation and hydroponic tiles? I sunk some regular farm tiles in some polluted water, and it's telling me growth is halted because it lacks irrigation.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Do thimble reeds require irrigation and hydroponic tiles? I sunk some regular farm tiles in some polluted water, and it's telling me growth is halted because it lacks irrigation.

If you use farm tiles or plant pots, thimble reeds need manual irrigation which requires having a pitcher pump in a tank of polluted water. (And every couple of days a duplicant will have to water the plants.) If the water contains germs you also might want a handwashing setup as well.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

silentsnack posted:

If you use farm tiles or plant pots, thimble reeds need manual irrigation which requires having a pitcher pump in a tank of polluted water. (And every couple of days a duplicant will have to water the plants.) If the water contains germs you also might want a handwashing setup as well.

ohhh, I went the wrong way and just put them in a pond with a bottle emptier.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I haven't gone hardcore thimblereed farming or anything but I do tend to keep at least one plant around for mopping up messes, or melting polluted water tiles. Any kind of polluted water mopping just goes into the farm tile for thimblereed. A lot easier if I can just completely seal off my sewer and not dick around with a bottle emptier into a polluted mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wanted to have maintenance shafts between each floor but the dupes can see through the airflow tiles and then get traumatized by the sight of cables and pipes.