Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Boogalo posted:

PJ discovered old documentation of a glitch in TMNT3 and so of course he and Mecha got up to some poo poo last night.

The glitch: https://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare/clip/CaringWimpyPicklesShadyLulu

Shenanigans:
https://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare/clip/PiliableAlluringDuckTTours
https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineUnsightlyCaribouPMSTwin
https://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare/clip/WealthyInspiringLapwingAMPEnergy
https://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare/clip/NeighborlyNastyBaboonNotLikeThis

The glitch requires you to kill a turtle in a certain spot where it can't play the death animation. This puts the turtle in a dead state, but still able to move around and attack, but does not get targeted by the AI, or count in enemy spawn or boss health calculations. If they get hit they still take damage and if they die again it resets the exploit, but it should speed up the run by a lot.

:lol:

Oh yeah, it'll speed up the run by a lot, until one of them endlessly falls off the bridge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

:lol:

Oh yeah, it'll speed up the run by a lot, until one of them endlessly falls off the bridge!
If that's the worst that happens in a run with PJ involved, everything's coming up roses comparatively.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Oh sweet, got an email that I won a prize during AGDQ! Which one was it?

:negative:

Edit:

VVV It comes framed.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 22, 2019

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That is a one of a kind artifact. I'd frame that poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Floodkiller posted:

Edit:

VVV It comes framed.

Uyama definitely speedruns handwriting and it's any% memory corruption.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
my god that is beautiful

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Edit:

VVV It comes framed.

:swoon:

...wait, who the hell still writes in cursive??

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

Edit:

VVV It comes framed.

this is so dumb it wraps back around to being awesome

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Me. I was taught it in school, and I guess it must've stuck because I'm still doing it to this day.

EDIT: Here's what I was taught as "skønskrift" (literally translates as beautiful script), with alternative letters as well as the three extra Danish letters.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 22, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
same. My handwriting is absolute dogshit though

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was taught cursive and used it until about 7th grade, then I watched a Harry Potter movie and decided to emulate how something was written in it and now that's my handwriting.

Yeah it makes no sense.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Huh. Well, I was taught cursive starting in 3rd grade, and was pretty much forced to use it on every assignment from grades 4 through 6. It wasn't required after that. I guess I was only too happy to abandon it when I got to middle school. I can still write in cursive but it takes me longer than printing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Huh. Well, I was taught cursive starting in 3rd grade, and was pretty much forced to use it on every assignment from grades 4 through 6. It wasn't required after that. I guess I was only too happy to abandon it when I got to middle school. I can still write in cursive but it takes me longer than printing.
Yeah, I can definitely understand that - I don't even know how it stuck around for me, maybe it's because simply writing and writing my form of cursive is basically the same speed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DizzyBum posted:

Mike Uyama, apparently.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

axeil posted:

this is so dumb it wraps back around to being awesome

I mean, it's an Awful Block prize...

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the lore behind this SMRPG Randomizer I've been seeing a lot of on Twitch?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

fadam posted:

What's the lore behind this SMRPG Randomizer I've been seeing a lot of on Twitch?

Trust me, you're not gonna want to read that pastebin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

I was taught cursive and used it until about 7th grade, then I watched a Harry Potter movie and decided to emulate how something was written in it and now that's my handwriting.

Yeah it makes no sense.
I was taught cursive and refused to continue using it after they stopped forcing it on everyone and I am better for it, gently caress cursive

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Trust me, you're not gonna want to read that pastebin.

but that only makes me want tor read it more!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
So with Rando cheating, aren’t there programs that can generate the spoiler logs from the ROM, thus eliminating the need to stream snipe? And wouldn’t you still be caught because your routing will, taken over time, make no sense otherwise?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It depends on how blatant you want to be about it.

If you go for "skip every location that doesn't have a critical item, taking the optimal route between the items needed" then sure, that's pretty easy to spot. If someone wanted to give themselves a small edge it would be very hard to identify though.

Racers often decide to skip checking an area that takes a while to check if they're a little behind, which will help them catch up if it turns out there's nothing there (at the cost of putting them further behind if it turns out they do need to go there anyway). How would you spot that someone was cheating if they consistently checked it when they were ahead, but checked their cheater log when they were behind to see if they should skip it or not?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Another play players make in randomizers in competitions, particularly against high level opponents, is to start skipping checks even when they feel like the run is going well, betting the entire run against an annoying check or series or checks being necessary. Of course, sometimes players will screw themselves over doing this no matter how good they are. At a high level I'd say the thing that would draw my suspicion is if someone had a habit of doing that and never/almost never being unlucky (but it would take a wide history of it, everyone gets lucky sometimes after all, and sometimes people make the right calls and take the right risks repeatedly in the short term).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Floodkiller posted:

Edit:

VVV It comes framed.

Is it framed in a trash bag like it belongs?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
So in preparation for not getting into SGDQ again this year I have been running Tokyo 42 some more lately and beat one of my records by an entire minute thanks to some new strats. Worst part was though I could have had another entire minute saves but for a couple errors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xOY_5cgn8

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
In related news:

https://twitter.com/OBSProject/status/1100116815538212865?s=19

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tune in tonight for hijinks.

https://twitter.com/TheSuperSNES/status/1100481262895153152

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Anyone here remember those Mega Man X4 Boss intro screens people were posting like mad during the SGDQ2018 thread? Were those made using a generator? Anyone have a link to it?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

ElegantFugue posted:

Anyone here remember those Mega Man X4 Boss intro screens people were posting like mad during the SGDQ2018 thread? Were those made using a generator? Anyone have a link to it?

No generators I could find, but there is Sierra Death Generator which also got a lot of meme usage.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
This mod of Celeste Classic is pretty neat-o
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/387866493

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

SeXReX posted:

This mod of Celeste Classic is pretty neat-o
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/387866493

this is sick

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I've got a contribution: I've been speedrunning Amped 2, a snowboarding game for the original Xbox released back in the heyday of extreme sports games. I'll just link to the speedrun.com page where you can see an Any% run in 2 hours or a 100% run in basically 4 hours 20 minutes. I'd definitely advertise this older game to anyone who missed it before, only issue is you need an original Xbox or Xbox 360 to play it since I don't think Xbox emulation is quite there yet. But anyways, the 100% run was done more recently so it's in HD with live commentary and chat interaction. I'm trying to beat that any% time since it's so close to sub-2-hours so that might be happening soon.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I was practicing Morrowind any% for SGDQ submissions yesterday and missed getting a PB by just 2 seconds. Would've been my first PB in that run in about 2 years.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Being the only runner leads to funny things like you getting a 2 minute world record on what was supposed to be a derust run of a category you have not run in a long time thanks to new strategies and just being better at the game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Ovues posted:

I've got a contribution: I've been speedrunning Amped 2, a snowboarding game for the original Xbox released back in the heyday of extreme sports games. I'll just link to the speedrun.com page where you can see an Any% run in 2 hours or a 100% run in basically 4 hours 20 minutes. I'd definitely advertise this older game to anyone who missed it before, only issue is you need an original Xbox or Xbox 360 to play it since I don't think Xbox emulation is quite there yet. But anyways, the 100% run was done more recently so it's in HD with live commentary and chat interaction. I'm trying to beat that any% time since it's so close to sub-2-hours so that might be happening soon.

I've been seeing amped pop up on the Twitter bot that posts new records when they get accepted on src and was happy to see it there :D

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

A thing I'd like to see on speedrun.com is a page that just lists the most recent records from all the runs. I enjoy using the front page that shows a chunk of recent submissions to find new runs to watch and it would be good to have that for recent records as well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just copy the way TASvideos does their front page.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

chiefnewo posted:

A thing I'd like to see on speedrun.com is a page that just lists the most recent records from all the runs. I enjoy using the front page that shows a chunk of recent submissions to find new runs to watch and it would be good to have that for recent records as well.

I mean, wrbot is that.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

I mean, wrbot is that.

Ooh, nice. That'll do, thanks.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I really want a similar bot that scrapes the site for instances of two runners trading a position on a lb, regardless of where. those kinds of stories would be neat to highlight imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Thank you SeXReX for the kind words! And of course, right after I advertised my Amped 2 stuff, I get a better any%! I was annoyed with giving up halfway in during attempts when just recording by myself so I decided to stream and I beat that 2 hour time by like 16 minutes! So now the any% time is in 1:44:08 (youtube link) in HD and with live commentary. Paired with my 4h 21m 100% time, I think those are a good enough representation of this classic game. Hopefully Xbox emulation makes good progress soon, or (pipe dream) the early Amped games are brought to the Xbox One so more people can play Amped 1 and 2.