Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve been hit by lightning twice, and blown up a charge controller on an electric go kart I was building (it let all of the smoke and ozone out, and I almost passed out in it :cry: ) Working around electricity makes me nervous, where it’s borderline OCD about checking if the power’s cut/batteries are out/circuits are flipped/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I wonder if you even have the capacity to think and realise what's happening while being zapped continuously by high voltage unable to let go? :thunk:

The worst shock I got was as a child plugging in microwave with wet hands, and accidentally touching the prongs as they went into the wall. I was definitely aware of what was happening during the shock, and was thinking "I dont know what's happening to me but it's the worst". It was like the feeling you get in your hand while using a power tool, multiplied by a thousand. Intense vibration down to every molecule in your body.

And then because I didn't really understand the correlation between the shock and electricity coming out of the wall, I went to plug in the microwave again and got a second shock. :suicide:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The worst shock I got was as a child plugging in microwave with wet hands, and accidentally touching the prongs as they went into the wall. I was definitely aware of what was happening during the shock, and was thinking "I dont know what's happening to me but it's the worst". It was like the feeling you get in your hand while using a power tool, multiplied by a thousand. Intense vibration down to every molecule in your body.

And then because I didn't really understand the correlation between the shock and electricity coming out of the wall, I went to plug in the microwave again and got a second shock. :suicide:

Yeah, that's what it felt like for me. I had a paper shredder disassembled to clean out a ton of debris that was clogging it (it was the kind where it's just a small shredder "head" attached to a big bin, so I had it detached on a counter) and tried to lift the circuit board after forgetting I had it still plugged in. Just felt like my body started painfully vibrating until I let go.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I guess this was before ground fault interruptors? Those things should kill the current as soon as you get a shock.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

iospace posted:

50 volts DC is the highest you're allowed to work with without PPE while live, because most telephony lines are 48V (don't recall AC's). It was a compromise to allow network admins to setup networks without having to go through proper training, as this sort of work is pretty common.

Funny you should mention that. I spent two summers working for the phone company burying phone lines in customer’s backyards. Nothing sucked more than working in the rain when stripping the wires and attaching them to the box at the back of the house.

When I was there, the phone company used a really high quality buried cable with a solid copper sheath, 6 pairs of wire, and a gel to prevent water intrusion. This meant that you inevitably got cuts on your thumb from that copper sheathing as it was quite sharp after being cut. I still remember the time that someone kept calling while I was working on stripping the wires and getting zapped into a cut on my thumb every couple of seconds.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve been hit by lightning twice, and blown up a charge controller on an electric go kart I was building (it let all of the smoke and ozone out, and I almost passed out in it :cry: ) Working around electricity makes me nervous, where it’s borderline OCD about checking if the power’s cut/batteries are out/circuits are flipped/etc.

Please give us more details about being hit by lightning twice. Are you a forest ranger or something?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

There’s a horrible video from China or some such place of workers pushing a metal scaffold or something and hitting power lines and it killed everyone that was pushing it. Very gruesome.

oh

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I discovered the stove in my old apartment was wired in some hosed up way where if you held the handle of a pan that wasn't insulated while it was on the element and tried to adjust the temperature dial you'd get a good chunk of the 220v through you. Thankfully my arms kind of curled in and I lifted the pot off the element but I never want to have that sensation like my teeth are having a dance party ever again.

The control panel/clock on my stove had broken the mounting clips, so it was pushing into the housing. I decided to get back there and MacGuyver it back together with zip ties or whatever. I touched the panel and immediately got thrown to the floor from the 220v going through it.

I assumed that it would be a 12v panel. That was a very dumb assumption to have made.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
When I was very young(6 or 7), I grabbed the end of an extension cord that was powering a washing machine in the middle of a wet room.

I don't know exactly what I touched that I shouldn't have, but I remember having my entire body tense up, falling down(bashing the back of my head on a nearby stone step) and then passing out. I woke up on my father's lap with a small chunk of my index finger covered in third degree burns, but nothing serious aside from that. Pretty sure I burned two lifetimes worth of luck right there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

Please give us more details about being hit by lightning twice. Are you a forest ranger or something?

Lol no, just unlucky.

1) I was standing at the door of a building with a metal roof watching the rain blow sideways, then saw a bright blue flash and suddenly “why am I on the floor/why does my face hurt? :confused:” is the dominant feeling. We think the lightning was running down the electrical wire into the ground (there’s a light switch right by the door, but no further connection heading down), when it took an arc into me and my dad. We’ve both got plates in us (he in his shoulder, me in my jaw), so we had thought that had something to do with it, but it was probably just a combo of proximity and being water bags full of electrolytes and some meat. Either way, we were both utterly floored and waited for a lull in the storm to spring back to the house. Didn’t even have time to register the boom before we were airborne, just a growing blue flash, then :confused:

2) sitting on a mountaintop (Table Rock, near Morganton, NC), and watching the clouds roll out of the valley in front of us, and we turned around to a storm cloud coming our way. Elevation is roughly a mile, so we were going to be dead-rear end in the middle of this angry cloud that snuck up on us. We tried to run the mile down the trail back to the parking lot, but got driven under an overhang near the summit. We had like 10ft of rock overhead, but the thunder kept getting louder/closer...until there was that bright flash again, this time with a feeling like a feather going up my back. I was sitting down on a rock, my one friend was kneeled down trying to get a little further under the overhand, and the 3rd of us was resigned to getting wet and standing near the edge enjoying the rain. The one standing had a slight burn on his foot, but we were otherwise unhurt (somehow). The guy who was kneeling had a panic attack, but that’s a perfectly normal response when the gods themselves decide “you know what? gently caress YOU.”

Long term, I think I picked up a spasm in my left hand (it used to shake sometimes and open up at random, but that’s subsided over the years), and a darker sense of humor (could also be attributed to working for a combat hospital when I was deployed)...but that’s it, so far. No superpowers, but I still have Zeus’ backhand firmly imprinted across my face 15 years later.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 26, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

sticksy posted:

I’d love to learn more about your research if you ever are able to effortpost.

I'm not sure how interesting it really is, but I'm happy to talk about it for as long as anyone is willing to listen.

I built a detector that simulates about 30 micrometers of human tissue. Since it's impossible to build a radiation detector so small, the real sensitive area is actually 50 millimeters long, but because of the low-pressure (244 torr, about 1/3 of an atmosphere or so) propane-based tissue equivalent gas that fills my detector, from the perspective of the radiation it's identical to 30 micrometers of solid human tissue.

I'm interested in characterizing the effects of alpha particles in lung tissue. The alpha particle source I'm using in my experiment is readily-available americium-242 which has a range of about 40 micrometers in human tissue. With the collimator length of 18 millimeters, I can't measure the first 10 micrometers of the particle's path but the end of the path is the real interesting part anyway. While I'm using Am-241 because it's solid and we have access to it, the real thing I'm interested in is comparing the results to radon-222 which is a gas with a short half life so I'm not really able to put it in my detector. However, the results from Rn-222 should follow just about the same trend - the "shape" of the measured data should be the same and the magnitude shouldn't be too different since the difference in alpha particle energy from the two isotopes is only about 0.2 MeV.

Human lung tissue cells average a bit under 10 micrometers in diameter so the energy from the particle is going to be dumped into several cells as it screeches to a halt, but the last 10 microns get the worst of it so the cells a little deeper inside get damaged more than the cells right at the surface, even though the alphas don't travel very far.

Here's a post in the electronics thread where I showed some pictures and talked a bit about how the detector works

My detector uses gas electron multiplier technology that was created by CERN for particle tracking experiments, and in fact we had to purchase the GEM foils from them since they have all sorts of patents and such and are the only people who make them. My detector isn't as fancy as the ones they use since I'm only tracking particles in one dimension, but for what I want to know that's enough.

Here's the data I collected from an early run of the experiment:

It tracks fairly well with what you'd expect, and I have some ideas for why the first section of the curve doesn't track well with theory (spoiler: it's probably an unavoidable aspect of the experimental setup, not because the theory of Bragg curves is wrong) but I'm more interested in the last 20 micrometers anyway.

Also as a bonus, here's what one measurement from my experiment looks like:

If you look at the numbers to the right you may notice that I'm collecting a whopping 0.01 counts per second and not only do I need over 1000 counts for statistical significance, but I need to do this 16 times plus a bonus run to see if gas leakage caused drift in detector gain over time. This data collection time was unavoidable without coming up with my own completely new and different way of collecting the data.

I'm going to run the experiment again with some tweaks (will take about 20 days) and I should get slightly better results which I will consider to be final for this experiment. If I can convince someone to fund it, I have plans for a version that collects 64 data points with a much shorter data collection period that uses parts normally intended for digital x-ray panels rather than the traditional radiation pulse processing electronics I'm using.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i have an idea for a gas you can test

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mozi posted:

i have an idea for a gas you can test

sorry I already have a patent on fart-equivalent gas

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Icon Of Sin posted:

We think the lightning was running down the electrical wire into the ground

if lightning strikes anywhere near you, the difference in voltage between the location of each of your feet is sufficient to give you a good zap. this is something called "step potential" and is the actual mechanism of most lightning injuries.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's why I only ever walk along equipotential lines.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

That's why I only ever walk along equipotential lines.

Seems like a lot of work. Just hop everywhere.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Seems like a lot of work. Just hop everywhere.

skipping would probably do the trick too

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

You fools! Serpentine! Serpentine!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma posted:

if lightning strikes anywhere near you, the difference in voltage between the location of each of your feet is sufficient to give you a good zap. this is something called "step potential" and is the actual mechanism of most lightning injuries.

This is not to be confused with your ability to star in a manufactured pop band which is called 'steps potential'

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/kyuushinP/status/1099855233973288960

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My only OSHA dad story is that when I was really little my dad got me to ‘help’ with some woodwork.

He handed his tiny idiot son a 15kg industrial clamp which promptly slipped from his baby hands and smashed his foot bones. Mum was not impressed.

I’ve always had a weirdly discoloured toe.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

Lol no, just unlucky.

1) I was standing at the door of a building with a metal roof watching the rain blow sideways, then saw a bright blue flash and suddenly “why am I on the floor/why does my face hurt? :confused:” is the dominant feeling. We think the lightning was running down the electrical wire into the ground (there’s a light switch right by the door, but no further connection heading down), when it took an arc into me and my dad. We’ve both got plates in us (he in his shoulder, me in my jaw), so we had thought that had something to do with it, but it was probably just a combo of proximity and being water bags full of electrolytes and some meat. Either way, we were both utterly floored and waited for a lull in the storm to spring back to the house. Didn’t even have time to register the boom before we were airborne, just a growing blue flash, then :confused:

2) sitting on a mountaintop (Table Rock, near Morganton, NC), and watching the clouds roll out of the valley in front of us, and we turned around to a storm cloud coming our way. Elevation is roughly a mile, so we were going to be dead-rear end in the middle of this angry cloud that snuck up on us. We tried to run the mile down the trail back to the parking lot, but got driven under an overhang near the summit. We had like 10ft of rock overhead, but the thunder kept getting louder/closer...until there was that bright flash again, this time with a feeling like a feather going up my back. I was sitting down on a rock, my one friend was kneeled down trying to get a little further under the overhand, and the 3rd of us was resigned to getting wet and standing near the edge enjoying the rain. The one standing had a slight burn on his foot, but we were otherwise unhurt (somehow). The guy who was kneeling had a panic attack, but that’s a perfectly normal response when the gods themselves decide “you know what? gently caress YOU.”

Long term, I think I picked up a spasm in my left hand (it used to shake sometimes and open up at random, but that’s subsided over the years), and a darker sense of humor (could also be attributed to working for a combat hospital when I was deployed)...but that’s it, so far. No superpowers, but I still have Zeus’ backhand firmly imprinted across my face 15 years later.

post Zeus bitch slap pic

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VectorSigma posted:

Hence the advice if the piece of machinery you're in has become energised, you jump down with both feet together and bunny hop away? I'm guessing?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

jobson groeth posted:

This is not to be confused with your ability to star in a manufactured pop band which is called 'steps potential'

Just remember to clarify when you mean Ω from Steps Potential.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Reign Of Pain posted:

post Zeus bitch slap pic

I never had one that I was aware of, but they look like this:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmicm1106008

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Carbon dioxide posted:

I guess this was before ground fault interruptors? Those things should kill the current as soon as you get a shock.

The house was built in '76 or so, I don't know if that was before GFI though. Could just be lovely construction though. Our first house was partially built by my dad, a self-professed "construction expert" (i.e.: total loving moron). It was definitely something of a Groverhaus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Endman posted:

My only OSHA dad story is that when I was really little my dad got me to ‘help’ with some woodwork.

He handed his tiny idiot son a 15kg industrial clamp which promptly slipped from his baby hands and smashed his foot bones. Mum was not impressed.

I’ve always had a weirdly discoloured toe.

My dad wanted me to crawl into a confined space full of bugs to check the spa for leaks when he could have just unscrewed the wood panels that were over there.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

We are doing some demo at work right now. The area being demoed contained the only receptacles in the area so I installed some temporary ones a couple weeks ago, fed by GFCI breakers.

Yesterday I was using a reciprocating saw when it cut out all of a sudden. I didn't think anything of it as there were other things plugged in so I simply reset the breaker. Went back to cut something and it tripped again. I then realized it had tripped the moment I stepped in a damp area on the floor. I didn't feel anything either time. So that's my OSHA success story I guess. (Yes I removed the saw from service.)

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

We are doing some demo at work right now. The area being demoed contained the only receptacles in the area so I installed some temporary ones a couple weeks ago, fed by GFCI breakers.

Yesterday I was using a reciprocating saw when it cut out all of a sudden. I didn't think anything of it as there were other things plugged in so I simply reset the breaker. Went back to cut something and it tripped again. I then realized it had tripped the moment I stepped in a damp area on the floor. I didn't feel anything either time. So that's my OSHA success story I guess. (Yes I removed the saw from service.)

There's a version of you in the multiverse that's now a ghost haunting site sheds with a reciprocating saw. But seriously that's awesome it worked for you and likely saved your life. People may like to poo poo all over PPE and safety kit but you're walking proof that by no crazy action or reckless intent you would have been killed without the GFCI

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

My dad wanted me to crawl into a confined space full of bugs to check the spa for leaks when he could have just unscrewed the wood panels that were over there.

I was about nine when my dad needed help moving a 10 foot oak 2x12 in his wood shop. I couldn't hold up my end and dropped it, breaking my toe. I got yelled at for damaging the board :eng99:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Im pretty surprised so many you guys got shocked/electrocuted. The worst thats happned to me was that I would lose alot at that russian roulette shock game..

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I never had one that I was aware of, but they look like this:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmicm1106008

quote:

but I still have Zeus’ backhand firmly imprinted across my face 15 years later.

:confused:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It means lasting consequences from being hit by a lightning bolt thrown by Zeus

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Im pretty surprised so many you guys got shocked/electrocuted. The worst thats happned to me was that I would lose alot at that russian roulette shock game..

lookit mister big brains that don't touch electricity, he thinks he's better than us

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Beccara posted:

There's a version of you in the multiverse that's now a ghost haunting site sheds with a reciprocating saw. But seriously that's awesome it worked for you and likely saved your life. People may like to poo poo all over PPE and safety kit but you're walking proof that by no crazy action or reckless intent you would have been killed without the GFCI

I've gone back to field work after a couple years of mostly desk work. That combined with old age and a prototype goon body type make every day I'm not killed a legit miracle. Christ I'm clumsy.

The other side of this story is that we rented a stump grapple for our Bobcat to do the demo. That thing is spectacular, like having a giant hand that can crush drat near anything.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I've gone back to field work after a couple years of mostly desk work. That combined with old age and a prototype goon body type make every day I'm not killed a legit miracle. Christ I'm clumsy.

The other side of this story is that we rented a stump grapple for our Bobcat to do the demo. That thing is spectacular, like having a giant hand that can crush drat near anything.

If you were hoping to get my will to live that was crushed beyond recognition a long time ago sorry.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

FlimFlam Imam posted:

When you're done for the day and own a food truck, might want to double check the propane tank before you go home (nobody was injured).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJz7BDgJEk

I heard this on Sunday at work about half a mile away. Everyone thought it was the construction guys dropping poo poo.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Did anyone else make stun guns out of disposable cameras when those still existed? I'm surprised we never got in trouble for those, even after accidentally shorting one on a napkin dispenser in the mess hall and making sparks fly. Cadet camp was fun as heck.

https://youtu.be/EtIimoxpN9c

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

Did anyone else make stun guns out of disposable cameras when those still existed? I'm surprised we never got in trouble for those, even after accidentally shorting one on a napkin dispenser in the mess hall and making sparks fly. Cadet camp was fun as heck.

My supervisor once told me about a potential OSHA thing that was prevented by a security violation. A guy wanted to make a rail gun so he brought a bunch of disposable cameras into a SCIF (classified area) and decided to get rid of the film by just taking a bunch of pictures of the floor. He was going to use the capacitors to make a railgun somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

I was showing my brother in law that trick once, and spot welded a piece of metal with it, then touched my finger to it because i'm an idiot, and it still had enough juice to numb my hand