Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zore posted:

I think they get around Cyndaquil by saying its partially based on a rat. But yeah, even in the most liberal interpretation Fennekin isn't a dog or rabbit.

foxes are just rabbit-dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't think foxes or whatever the hell typhlosions are supposed to be are on the chinese zodiac

I think people claim that Typhlosion represents the Rat because it's kinda sorta a badger maybe? It's a dumb theory.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's called the chinese zodiac theory because all the animals of the chinese zodiac evolve to become bipedal fighting types

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oddium posted:

it's called the chinese zodiac theory because all the animals of the chinese zodiac evolve to become bipedal fighting types

where's my horse with boxing gloves then

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Hence why I want the theory completely destroyed when they show that Gen 8's fire starter is a bear or a weasel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my god this whole poke transporter / poke bank process is so, so terribly bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all divine beings in chinese mythology eventually turn into bipedal animals that are eternally on fire and hit things. read a gotdamn book sometime, y'all. it's all in there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't think foxes or whatever the hell typhlosions are supposed to be are on the chinese zodiac

Foxes are canines, therefore Fennekin counts as the dog. This isn't the only franchise to use a fox instead of a dog because it's cooler that way, I can think of another mon franchise that did it.

Cyndaquil is the rat. It's the "Fire Mouse Pokémon".

The zodiac theory is still true no matter how much it may annoy people. We'll get another addition to it, maybe tomorrow, maybe in September, depending on how nice Game Freak feels. Though honestly the only one I wanted was the tiger and we got that one last gen so I'm not too interested, even if it's the type that gives me my name.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't wait for them to reveal the starters are very cute.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

What the hell is the Chinese zodiac theory, is it that all the fire starters are a Chinese zodiac animal? Because cats are not actually on the Chinese zodiac if that's the theory.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Foxes are canines, therefore Fennekin counts as the dog. This isn't the only franchise to use a fox instead of a dog because it's cooler that way, I can think of another mon franchise that did it.

Cyndaquil is the rat. It's the "Fire Mouse Pokémon".

The zodiac theory is still true no matter how much it may annoy people. We'll get another addition to it, maybe tomorrow, maybe in September, depending on how nice Game Freak feels. Though honestly the only one I wanted was the tiger and we got that one last gen so I'm not too interested, even if it's the type that gives me my name.

i am now on zuzie's side in wanting this dumb thing you made me read get shut down tomorrow

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ultima66 posted:

What the hell is the Chinese zodiac theory, is it that all the fire starters are a Chinese zodiac animal? Because cats are not actually on the Chinese zodiac if that's the theory.

if you mean wrestlecat it's basically a tiger by the end of it all. i think the theory is stupid but at the very least that one fits.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ultima66 posted:

Cats are actually part of the Chinese Zodiac, as the animal that was late to it and thus was left out of it. It's unimportant anyways because Litten represents the tiger, not the cat.

But yeah, that's literally it. Every Fire starter is part of the Chinese Zodiac. In order: dragon, rat, rooster, monkey, pig, dog, tiger. Thus, we're left with ox, rabbit, snake, horse and goat as possible starters for this gen.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't wait for them to reveal the starters are very cute.

Big If True

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, it feels like we JUST got the gen 8 starters revealed. Gen 8 knocked it out of the park with all three starter lines too, really hoping gen 9 manages to continues the trend of interesting typing and good designs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've posted about pokemon sage before but chinese zodiac theorists should look towards that if they want a goat fire starter pokemon

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, it feels like we JUST got the gen 8 starters revealed. Gen 8 knocked it out of the park with all three starter lines too, really hoping gen 9 manages to continues the trend of interesting typing and good designs.

Holy poo poo, how long was I asleep? What year is it???

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was skeptical about the Chinese Zodiac theory, but I thought about a potential fire goat and now I’m on board

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ariong posted:

Holy poo poo, how long was I asleep? What year is it???

poo poo, I meant gen 7.

Sorry.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it would be incredibly stupid of gamefreak to make another line of fire horses

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i liked the way monpoke handled it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thetoughestbean posted:

I was skeptical about the Chinese Zodiac theory, but I thought about a potential fire goat and now I’m on board

one day,,,,,,,,,,

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

If they were cute I’d be ok with it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brother Entropy posted:

Keep in mind they are sometimes only vaguely connected to the zodiac animal, for example for goat I could see a satyr or something. Dunno about horse though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brother Entropy posted:

it'd be a fire donkey

checkmate, liberals

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brother Entropy posted:

You say this as if Game Freak had never recycled an idea before.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

You say this as if Game Freak had never recycled an idea before.

it was stupid those times too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Johnny Joestar posted:

one day,,,,,,,,,,

I don't think they'd do a starter that's constantly farting fire

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gripweed posted:

how do you explain cyndaquil

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gripweed posted:

Chimchar is literally that though

Edit:

Seriously, this is it's pokedex entry in alpha sapphire:

The gas made in its belly burns from its rear end. The fire burns weakly when it feels sick.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 27, 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Brother Entropy posted:

Never stopped them before.

We have two lines of fire foxes and three lines of fire primates, and a large number of fire birds.

As long as the designs are interesting, it's okay.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like half the fire pokemon in general have a burning tail or some poo poo, this is nothing new

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

In a twist this gen's starters will be ponyta, goldeen, and tangela. Each gaining a new 3rd form.
also the region is post-gen2 kanto

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

they haven't done a bipedal horse yet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chimchar is literally that though

Edit:

Seriously, this is it's pokedex entry in alpha sapphire:

The gas made in its belly burns from its rear end. The fire burns weakly when it feels sick.

Sure, fire farting Pokemon is fine. I just don't think they'd do that for a starter. They usually make starters cute, entire rear end is on fire doesn't seem to fit, imo

edit: oh Chimchar was a starter. More fool me

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 27, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also pokemon sage has proven that buttfire can be cute and good if this pepper/rabbit-themed line is any clue

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Sure, fire farting Pokemon is fine. I just don't think they'd do that for a starter. They usually make starters cute, entire rear end is on fire doesn't seem to fit, imo

did you skip gen 4

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gripweed posted:

edit: oh Chimchar was a starter. More fool me
It was pretty weird when gen 4 only had two starters, and removed fire pokemon entirely.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oddium posted:

did you skip gen 4

I didn't play any of the games between the first ones and White/Black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why didn’t people like Chimchar?