Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

zaurg posted:

Couple hundred bucks per month... for plasma? For real?

Money problems solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Couple hundred bucks per month... for plasma? For real?

Yes but you can't do it in shitcoins.

At the right place you can clean up to $300ish if you donate enough time and are a good "frequent" donor.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Started selling my plasma again. Last did it in like 2005 because I was a poor college kid. I don't really need the money, but its an easy couple hundred bucks a month and I'm just going to put all of it towards my Roth IRA.

I feel like there might even be another good reason to give plasma, but hell, can't quite put my finger on it!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I feel like there might even be another good reason to give plasma, but hell, can't quite put my finger on it!

Last time I gave blood they were telling me I should really donate plasma since I have a good blood type or something. Maybe I should give it a go to help people for that sweet skrilla.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

To enrich the profits of the blood products industry?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

To enrich the profits of the blood products industry?

basically this. at least the plasma "donation" centers compensate you.

i used to sell plasma but my work hours generally preclude me going when the place near me is open, and i make enough now where if given the choice between spending an hour and a half at the plasma place and getting like 40 bucks or just going home, i'd rather just go home.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I tried it once but being quickly rehydrated with saline the way they did gave me loving terrible chills so I didn't do it again

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I'm in QA for a company that collects blood and plasma. There is a center in Tennessee in our company that has two donors with some type of super rare antibody, and they pay them $750 per donation.

The vast majority of centers just collect what's called normal source plasma and don't do any sort of typing or testing for certain antibodies (except for the required tests for transmissible diseases).

But yeah, all that stuff goes straight to big pharmaceutical companies. I mean, a lot of it is made into medications for people with rare diseases, but the stuff that's used on burn victims or in the ER or whatever comes from the Red Cross.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I'm in QA for a company that collects blood and plasma. There is a center in Tennessee in our company that has two donors with some type of super rare antibody, and they pay them $750 per donation.

The vast majority of centers just collect what's called normal source plasma and don't do any sort of typing or testing for certain antibodies (except for the required tests for transmissible diseases).

How do you find out you have a super rare antibody? Like "oops I survived X often fatal disease" or?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

H110Hawk posted:

How do you find out you have a super rare antibody? Like "oops I survived X often fatal disease" or?

Some centers just perform additional testing on whole blood samples that are collected on your first donation and every four months after, or right off each donation. Generally people who come in to donate don't know they have this until they donate and they're told.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Turns out I'm naive for thinking plasma donations would be used to improve lives

I hope the couple times I did it in college didn't produce too many canisters of chemical weapons

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Turns out I'm naive for thinking plasma donations would be used to improve lives

I hope the couple times I did it in college didn't produce too many canisters of chemical weapons

[ASK] me about my former company running a blood drive for an employee who needed it, and then a donation drive so he could repay the $122,000 in medical bills for his transfusions of the blood people donated. :haw:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If it makes you feel any better, they were probably more likely to be biological weapons.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress Chase.

They’ve been sending out these promos where if you open a checking account (with direct deposit) you get $300, so I signed up and use the routing /account number given to me when I logged into chase. This was maybe 2 weeks ago, after my paycheck on the first.

Fast forward to today at 9 am, payday, and nothing is in my account.

I call them up and at first they say it’s pending and should hit by noon, but then they ask what routing number I used-I tell them the one on the website under my account info. They ask me to login and give them the routing number.

Apparently between when I signed up and today, they changed the routing number in my checking account. Both routing numbers are to Chase, but since (according to them) I entered the wrong (old) routing number, they would have to transfer me to the claims department :wtf:

I get transferred and they admit no guilt of their own, but just say that since it’s a different routing number the payment will have to get rejected and then it *should* be able to just go into my account. However, that will take 1-2 business days to process.

I try to get the situation escalated, and I do get to speak with a mouthy supervisor who tells me it’s all automated and there is nothing she can do. I ask to talk with her manager and she places me on hold for a few minutes, only to come back and say no one is available but she will request a manager calls me back, which of course will take 1-2 business days as well. However I can try and call back later to talk to a manager if I want. I bitched her out how it’s not my fault this happened and asked why chase won’t admit their guilt and she sticks with the company line.

I tried emailing customer support and tweeting, but they have all just come up with the same conclusion : no admission of guilt on their end and it will take 1-2 business days to sort out. Of course there is also the off chance that they can’t get the payment into my account, at which point I’ll have to go to my employer to try and get them to resubmit funds.

I’m sure chase just thinks I googled a routing number and entered the wrong one, and I’m sure it is an automated system, but I’m pretty pissed off this happened on a Friday and they can’t offer anything until 1-2 business days, meaning I probably won’t see the cash until Tuesday at the earliest. I think I’m more pissed off that she couldn’t get a hold of a manager and their system requires 1-2 days to call me back instead of just calling someone up and saying I wanted to talk with someone about this immediately.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Halfway through the month and my spending money budget is already completely blown.

Turns out visiting a nano-brewery you've never heard of but find has amazing beer that you can't get elsewhere gets really expensive real fast.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I get a letter from Fidelity telling me that the debit card # I use for my Cash Management Account has been exposed in a data breach at Caribou Coffee, and they're sending me a new debit card. The same day, my account gets cleaned out by some shithead at a Orlando Walmart.

I call Fidelity, cancel the card, it's gonna take the fraud dept. 10 business days to reverse the charges. :mad:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Love to get bills for medical expenses from last year because it took Highmark 3 months to decide that they aren't paying for poo poo

I mean I was prepared for this and it's not a financial worry but goddamn I hate it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BigDave posted:

I get a letter from Fidelity telling me that the debit card # I use for my Cash Management Account has been exposed in a data breach at Caribou Coffee, and they're sending me a new debit card. The same day, my account gets cleaned out by some shithead at a Orlando Walmart.

I call Fidelity, cancel the card, it's gonna take the fraud dept. 10 business days to reverse the charges. :mad:

Good thing they didn't cancel your card when they mailed that letter. Otherwise you would have been inconvenienced. Or do something crazy like block charges outside your usual zip codes.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

H110Hawk posted:

Good thing they didn't cancel your card when they mailed that letter. Otherwise you would have been inconvenienced. Or do something crazy like block charges outside your usual zip codes.

Best part is, they claim they can't reverse the charges faster because of the PATRIOT ACT.

Guess who's switching to Vanguard after this?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I like my employer match to my 401k. I don't like that it happens this week for all of last year...

(At the age of 32 it doesn't matter I know... Just annoying)

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BigDave posted:

Best part is, they claim they can't reverse the charges faster because of the PATRIOT ACT.

Guess who's switching to Vanguard after this?

This is one of the classic reasons given for using credit cards for everyday transactions instead of debit. It's a great advantage. I haven't used a debit card for normal things since high school. Still use it for Venmo since they charge a fee for credit.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Don't ever use a debit card for anything unless you absolutely have to, problem solved. They are a fraud and theft liability even when they are sitting in your drawer. I have one debit card for a secondary checking account and do not have one for my primary checking account, savings account, or money market accounts. My primary bank now has app-based multi-factor authenticated ATM access so it isn't even necessary for retrieving cash most of the time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I didn't even have a debit card until Chase got rid of their ATM-only cards and made them debit as well. :argh: Chase

However, that still didn't stop someone from stealing my ATM-only card number one time to pay their Comcast bill. Since I only ever used the thing on Chase ATMs, there was either a skimmer set up somewhere and I didn't notice it, or a random number generator got lucky.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
BWM Thread has moved to

E/N Subforum!

Spoiled in case you like the easter egg hunt

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BWM Thread has moved to

E/N Subforum!

Spoiled in case you like the easter egg hunt

ahhhhhh. TY!!!!!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
There was a budget spreadsheet template posted somewhere recently and I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

moana posted:

There was a budget spreadsheet template posted somewhere recently and I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I do and I believe I saved the link but I’m on mobile. I’ll try and find it later.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I've been using this with success for the last few months:
https://aspirebudget.com/

It's a google drive budgeting spreadsheet, designed to work similarly to YNAB.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Slash posted:

I've been using this with success for the last few months:
https://aspirebudget.com/

It's a google drive budgeting spreadsheet, designed to work similarly to YNAB.

I use Google sheets and Google forms to so budgeting for my wife and I and it is similar to that but not as fancy

Using Google forms to enter purchases as I make them is really easy

Elvis Enwright
Jun 22, 2004
just like any other man, only more so

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Using Google forms to enter purchases as I make them is really easy

How do you do that, if I may ask? We use a paper envelope system plus sheets but this would save us from that step.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Elvis Enwright posted:

How do you do that, if I may ask? We use a paper envelope system plus sheets but this would save us from that step.

Make a Google sheet then make a Google form and set the output to a tab on the Google sheet and then make tabs for each month and use formulas to pull the numbers from the input page.

I've been doing this for like 4 years works well

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Make a Google sheet then make a Google form and set the output to a tab on the Google sheet and then make tabs for each month and use formulas to pull the numbers from the input page.

I have something like this setup for pulling all of our paycheck/account information down into our spreadsheet and yeah it works like a dream once you have it set up properly.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I could share a template for what I do but some of you will say my formulas are poo poo and they probably are but they work

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I could share a template for what I do but some of you will say my formulas are poo poo and they probably are but they work

Better than no formulas unless it's literally wrong at math and slowly bleeding you dry.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've been doing this since 2014 as well and while I'm 100% sure there are more efficient ways to set up the formulas I agree that it works well. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up the sheet each month in addition to actually allocating funds, and maybe an hour once a year to copy over my annual tracking stuff. I'd be interested in seeing what we can share to improve all our setups. Fun fact, doing this for years is how I learned a Google Sheets workbook has a 2 million cell limit so now I'm on my third one.

We also enter all our income in ours and have that all go into another cell to budget against. It's basically a DIY customizable YNAB.

Damn Your Eyes! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 21, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

drat Your Eyes! posted:

I've been doing this since 2014 as well and while I'm 100% sure there are more efficient ways to set up the formulas I agree that it works well. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up the sheet each month in addition to actually allocating funds, and maybe an hour once a year to copy over my annual tracking stuff. I'd be interested in seeing what we can share to improve all our setups. Fun fact, doing this for years is how I learned a Google Sheets workbook has a 2 million cell limit so now I'm on my third one.

We also enter all our income in ours and have that all go into another cell to budget against. It's basically a DIY customizable YNAB.

Yeah, we put in our income as well, so we have a projected income vs budget and then actual income vs budget

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Got a surprise notice today that we’ve paid enough towards our mortgage principle to have the PMI drop off :toot:

We knew it was coming up since we’ve been allocating an additional $400-$1000/mo to it, but figured we’d have to fight with the bank to get it taken off. It was nice that they just did it without us asking.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

Got a surprise notice today that we’ve paid enough towards our mortgage principle to have the PMI drop off :toot:

We knew it was coming up since we’ve been allocating an additional $400-$1000/mo to it, but figured we’d have to fight with the bank to get it taken off. It was nice that they just did it without us asking.

That's a great feeling, and awesome the bank did it without having to be asked. I had to write a letter when I hit 79% LTV to get mine dropped.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I have gotten PMI dropped on three mortgages now and each time received pushback from the servicer after meeting the requirements of federal law. PSA: the CFPB will go to bat for you if you submit a complaint, including seeking retroactive reimbursements for unearned PMI premiums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

That's a great feeling, and awesome the bank did it without having to be asked. I had to write a letter when I hit 79% LTV to get mine dropped.

It's "supposed" to be automatic at 78% of the homes appraised value when you closed. I called mine at 80.roundingerror% and asked, they gave me the exact dollar amount I needed to pay to get it removed, and to call them back when it was cleared. Got a check in the mail for like $5 in PMI refund. It was Wells Fargo even. I was shocked.