Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack B Nimble posted:

For Mechs I watched some of the vietnam-esque Gundam (08 MS Team?), I watched some of Planetes; they were both fine but the Gundam one suffered a bit from having a 90's dub that seemed like it could have aired on Cartoon Network and Planetes, while good, didn't have the drama I'm looking for now.

I've never seen Serial Experiment Lain, but I've heard of it. Maybe that or Monster is more what I'm looking for.

Monster takes a little while to really get going because it has to set up a bunch of elements for the long-term story, but it's well worth sticking with and just plain good television you could show to anyone.

Something for those who've already watched it; The Richard Brown arc is still probably some of the tensest drama I've ever seen, because you just sit there through five wonderfully-miserable episodes knowing how it has to end and wondering if this will finally be the episode for Johan to just drop the other boot on him :suspense:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

[08th MS team] suffered a bit from having a 90's dub that seemed like it could have aired on Cartoon Network

It did.

The Big O might fit, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm incapable of finding good anime and could really use some advice. Can I get a recommendation for a 1 or 2 season dubbed anime that matches this "through line" of shows:

Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Psycho Pass
FLCL
Paranoia Agent
GiTS: SAC

If I was going to come up with some tags for this list I guess it'd be grounded, adult cast,modern or near modern setting,psychologicaland maybe something like action, but not over the top. Not all of them meet every single criteria, FLCL in particular is a bit of an outlier, but I'd say it fits the setting and psychology perfectly.

I'll try anything, I'm just so tired of googling "best dubbed anime of 20XX" and then looking at a title screen shot and a paragraph summary.

Oh, and just to help prevent wasting any time I've seen all or enough of:
Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon
Bacanno
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Attack on Titan

You might wanna give Noir or Madlax a try. A bit slow paced, especially the former, but they tick off your criteria pretty well.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
momster is good as hell. really need to rewatch that sometime

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm incapable of finding good anime and could really use some advice. Can I get a recommendation for a 1 or 2 season dubbed anime that matches this "through line" of shows:

Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Psycho Pass
FLCL
Paranoia Agent

If I was going to come up with some tags for this list I guess it'd be grounded, adult cast,modern or near modern setting,psychologicaland maybe something like action, but not over the top. Not all of them meet every single criteria, FLCL in particular is a bit of an outlier, but I'd say it fits the setting and psychology perfectly.

I'll try anything, I'm just so tired of googling "best dubbed anime of 20XX" and then looking at a title screen shot and a paragraph summary.

Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon
Bacanno
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Attack on Titan

how important is dubbing, cause a lot of the more adult anime don't get dubbed cause the audience isn't large enough

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Davincie posted:

how important is dubbing, cause a lot of the more adult anime don't get dubbed cause the audience isn't large enough

I opened this reply to say "essential" and then I realized that I'd watched Ippo, Initial D, Welcome to the NHK, and Azumanga Daioh in sub. So maybe I'm more willing to watch them than I thought. gently caress it, at this point I have a google Doc I'm filling with the recommendations; bring it on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Psycho Pass
FLCL
Paranoia Agent

Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon
Bacanno
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Attack on Titan
Monster has a great dub and seems up your alley, no real action but like you said it doesn't have to hit every note.

The patlabor movies might also work, they're a bit more sci-fi/politics-y but very grounded, but iunno how their dubs are.

Speaking of movies, the director of Paranoia Agent, Satoshi Kon, did some really great movies, though they're the kind of things where dubs of them exist but can be hard to find. I know a dub of Tokyo Godfathers exists, for instance, but it aired like twice on Canadian TV and that's it.

And random suggestion just based off the general vibe, but maybe Tatami Galaxy? Again I don't watch a lot of dubs so iunno what the situation there is.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I opened this reply to say "essential" and then I realized that I'd watched Ippo, Initial D, Welcome to the NHK, and Azumanga Daioh in sub. So maybe I'm more willing to watch them than I thought. gently caress it, at this point I have a google Doc I'm filling with the recommendations; bring it on.

alright some suggestions then

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: this aint ever gonna get dubbed cause of its content, but it is an adult drama, partly set in modern times and one of the best to come out of the last decade of anime
Kaiji: i doubt there will ever be a dub of this either. fits all of the other parts you're asking for though, some of the heaviest feels an adult drama can get. there's also a comedy spinoff
Ping Pong the Animation: this one is dubbed. i don't watch dubs so i have no idea what the quality of the dub is. fits every part except adult cast (but the storytelling isn't immature stuff). great unique animation style as well
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade: there's a dub of this, again no idea how it is, its a great movie. speaking of movies, if you've watched GITS make sure to watch the GITS movies (but not arise)!
Flag: this one https://myanimelist.net/anime/1299/Flag as there's a couple of anime with flag in the name. its a drama about news reporters covering a war in a faux middle-eastern/asian country. there's action here and it has the interesting gimmick of every single shot in the series being from a camera or computer. mostly realistic, but there's a few mechs
Real Drive: from the same creator as GITS. also cyberpunk, but set in a tropical setting. partly adult cast, psychological and all that. slow start though
also finally something totally different: A Penguin's Memories. yes the mc is a penguin. but its actually a drama about a vietnam veteran with ptsd in disguise

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

For Mechs I watched some of the vietnam-esque Gundam (08 MS Team?), I watched some of Planetes; they were both fine but the Gundam one suffered a bit from having a 90's dub that seemed like it could have aired on Cartoon Network and Planetes, while good, didn't have the drama I'm looking for now.

I've never seen Serial Experiment Lain, but I've heard of it. Maybe that or Monster is more what I'm looking for.

i feel like i end up recommending gundam thunderbolt to a lot of people. i think it fits what you're looking for fairly well! it's probably more scifi than what you describe, but you have cowboy bebop on your list so i think it should be alright.

maybe give megalo box a look too?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Seconding Kaiji, it fits everything you're looking for outside the dub

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

Kaiji: i doubt there will ever be a dub of this either. fits all of the other parts you're asking for though, some of the heaviest feels an adult drama can get. there's also a comedy spinoff
The aforementioned comedy spinoff (known as Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues), however, does have a dub, and it's FANTASTIC. Then again, the subs are also a goddamn riot, so there's really no wrong way either. :dance:

Sora8185
Feb 21, 2019

How often do you drink milk?
I'm looking for something like Seven Deadly Sins/Akame ga Kill! I like the story seen from the "underdog's" part and also a main character or characters that join the dark side (that turns out to be the good one).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sora8185 posted:

I'm looking for something like Seven Deadly Sins/Akame ga Kill! I like the story seen from the "underdog's" part and also a main character or characters that join the dark side (that turns out to be the good one).

Overlord has several multi-episode arcs that are from the perspective of average-level adventurers running into the protagonist's machinations in some form or other.

Sora8185
Feb 21, 2019

Thanks, I'll try it out, from MAL it seems interesting. It reminds me of SAO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sora8185 posted:

Code Geass might work?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sora8185 posted:

Thanks, I'll try it out, from MAL it seems interesting. It reminds me of SAO.

The only actual Isekai aspect of Overlord is how it starts off, everything else is straight adventure fantasy with no interest in getting back to the 'real' world. It also manages power creep really well, because while the protagonist was one of the strongest powergamers in the original MMO, he's smart enough to know that there might be other players in this new world somewhere, and he knows nothing about it anyway so he's being cautious as hell with every move he makes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hmmm, sounds like you want to watch Galactic Drifter Vifam.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sora8185 posted:

Endorph posted:

Code Geass might work?

Seconding this. Code Geass remains one of my favorite series despite its flaws, it's got a lot of really good-feeling moments where the underdog "good guys" kick all kinds of rear end which sounds right up your alley.

Your mileage may vary on the second season, but the first is top notch. It's also one of the few series where the english dub is close to on par with the original voices, though nothing will ever top Norio Wakamoto's amazingly hammy performance.

Sora8185
Feb 21, 2019

The Shortest Path posted:

Seconding this. Code Geass remains one of my favorite series despite its flaws, it's got a lot of really good-feeling moments where the underdog "good guys" kick all kinds of rear end which sounds right up your alley.

Your mileage may vary on the second season, but the first is top notch. It's also one of the few series where the english dub is close to on par with the original voices, though nothing will ever top Norio Wakamoto's amazingly hammy performance.

Oh, forgot to mention that I've seen code geass. I have no problem with mechs, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Blue Gender are my favourite anime ever but I thought I'd watch something else. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Edit:words.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Owari no Seraph is somewhat Geass inspired with the 'two friends on opposite sides of a war' thing?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

A Place Further Than The Universe (same writer as the Euphonium anime, a bit comedic in spots but it's very very dialogue and character focused and the banter's really good)

nearly halfway through this and its more or less what the doctor ordered. lots of really good dialogue and little bits of interpersonal drama, and the funny parts arent unwelcome (the ending of the passport episode was hysterical). very pretty show too, the running sequence in ep 2 i think was animated beautifully. pacing is spot on. good poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i love further than the universe a lot

the boat arc drags a tiiiny bit but not too much and the rest is just excellent. glad you're enjoying it. durian show.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shows with cats. Give me all the cats. Cute cats, fat cats, kit kats I dont care.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Shows with cats. Give me all the cats. Cute cats, fat cats, kit kats I dont care.

Currently airing cat roommate show Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. has you covered. Also consider Hey, Your Cat Ears are Showing! although episodes of it require a little more effort to get. It's what my av is from.

Natsume's Book of Friends has an excellent cat

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 26, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Just to get you started from the Crunchyroll collection:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

There are several cats in Azumanga Daioh

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

Currently airing cat roommate show Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. has you covered. Also consider Hey, Your Cat Ears are Showing! although episodes of it require a little more effort to get. It's what my av is from.

Ive been watching Cat Roommate and it is why Im requesting more cats.

Wark Say posted:

Awesome, thanks Wark!

a kitten posted:

There are several cats in Azumanga Daioh

This looks kind of like Nichijou, which also had a cute cat, so I will watch it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Chii's Sweet Home is about as cat as you can get.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Furnaceface posted:

Nekojiru-sou if you can handle surreal weirdness.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what about a Goblin Cat

said cat is revisited in Mononoke as well plus it's a really cool show

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There's a very good cat in Yotsuiro Biyori but it's not the focus of the show or anything

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I've gotten in slice of life/comedy/drama anime in the past year or so after having previously only watched shounen/action stuff.

Some of my favorites are:

March Comes in Like a Lion
Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
A Place Further than the Universe
Laid Back Camp

I just finished Silver Spoon tonight, and while I plan to continue on with the manga, I'd like some recommendations for other shows similar to these, please!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Moyashimon is a good pair to Silver Spoon imo, idk if it's available for streaming or anything like that though

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nanigans posted:

I've gotten in slice of life/comedy/drama anime in the past year or so after having previously only watched shounen/action stuff.

Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
Laid Back Camp

I just finished Silver Spoon tonight, and while I plan to continue on with the manga, I'd like some recommendations for other shows similar to these, please!

Hanasaku Iroha is the same people who made Shirobako, and has a lot of similar stuff.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nanigans posted:

Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
Laid Back Camp

In no particular order:

Nichijou
Non Non Biyori
Flying Witch
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Servant x Service
Hinamatsuri
New Game!
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Zombieland Saga
Gabriel Dropout
ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nanigans posted:

Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
Laid Back Camp

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu sounds right up your alley.

Also, coincidentally enough:

Everything Burrito posted:

Natsume's Book of Friends has an excellent cat

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Nyan Koi

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
Laid Back Camp

Daily Lives of High School Boys

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
Laid Back Camp

K-On!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Furnaceface posted:

This season's My Roommate Is A Cat is peak cat content.