Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ok guys says he we need an old, large, Egyptian man...what do you have for me?

How about a 36 year old, 5'9", Guatemalan?

*watch says it's almost lunchtime*

sure whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ok guys says he we need an old, large, Egyptian man...what do you have for me?

How about a 36 year old, 5'9", Guatemalan?

*watch says it's almost lunchtime*

sure whatever

Not sure race really is a factor here, the character in question is blue and huge and has weird jawlines and whatnot.

They kinda got the blue down and then called it a day. I would say a bigger problem is that they made him the whispering type of manipulative bad guy when he should have been booming "I AM APOCALYPSE, ETERNALLY loving YOUR poo poo UP! KNEEL, WEAKLING!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah the voice he was doing was inexplicable and the Power Rangers Ivan Ooze make-up is just another reason you didn't need to cast a young handsome dude.

They didn't even do a flashback scene to him lookin' like a suave dashing En-Saba-Nur.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Honestly should have just thrown that one to Josh Brolin too lmfao

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apocalypse is the poo poo cherry on top of a giant corn and poo poo cake that is known as the X Men movie universe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vintersorg posted:

Apocalypse is the poo poo cherry on top of a giant corn and poo poo cake that is known as the X Men movie universe.

Someone rank the Xmen films in comparison to the MCU films.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
easy peasy

1. The x-men 1 intro scene in the concentration camp
2. Black Panther, Ragnorok, Civil War
3. The rest of the MCU not mentioned below
4. Logan, Deadpools, DOFP, Howard the Duck
5. The First Class movies that aren't apocalypse, X2
6. Thor 2, iron man sequels, incredible hulk, Age of Ultron
7. The rest of the x-mens, Venom

Arguments to be made for the Logan-tier beating out some of #3, possibly flipping 5 and 6 depending on your feelings about the iron man sequels. Everything else is canon.

Edit: Note that I have not seen Spiderverse yet (we had a baby like right when it came out).

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 27, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The nightcrawler scene in X2 is good af

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think they're ending Legion this season so we're probably not going to see Stewart on the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JBP posted:

Did the Apocalypse movie have any redeeming qualities? It looked awful so I skipped it despite enjoying the preceding X-Men films.

The Quicksilver scene. I guess also the scene where Apocalypse is launching the world's nuclear weapons to classical music.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

JBP posted:

Did the Apocalypse movie have any redeeming qualities? It looked awful so I skipped it despite enjoying the preceding X-Men films.

Buff Magneto working in a steel mill.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The idea for the final battle with Apocalypse was a good one. He’s so powerful they need to face him physically and mentally simultaneously, and it’s still a massive struggle. Singer (or whoever was covering for him that day) decided this was best represented by people standing motionless and pointing at each other.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

JBP posted:

this scene only, really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEYsvg2aa-4

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

I would love to see Fassbender and Weaving do this scene.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 27, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Azubah posted:

I think they're ending Legion this season so we're probably not going to see Stewart on the show.

I think they already cast a different actor for Professor X.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Absolutely sincere question: what could be done to inject life into the X-Men franchise at this point? It’s already had a prequel, soft reboot, and four spin-offs, three that even popped up to an R rating (not to mention New Mutants - still a rather largely unknown quantity with its reshoots). I’m not even sure what new angle could be approached with an introduction to the MCU outside of the initial novelty.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LesterGroans posted:

I think they already cast a different actor for Professor X.

some unknown named Jamerick Stewavoy

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fart City posted:

Absolutely sincere question: what could be done to inject life into the X-Men franchise at this point? It’s already had a prequel, soft reboot, and four spin-offs, three that even popped up to an R rating (not to mention New Mutants - still a rather largely unknown quantity with its reshoots). I’m not even sure what new angle could be approached with an introduction to the MCU outside of the initial novelty.

Sell it to a company that isn't Disney and then let Cronenberg adapt Morrison's New X-Men.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fart City posted:

Genuinely? Approach it from different angles. The concept lends itself well to trying something besides a straight superhero story with it. Things like Logan and (the trailer for) New Mutants are kind of scratching the surface. You can say you don't *need* X-Men for this and it's true but working from the baseline of audience knowledge could theoretically allow for stories that wouldn't necessarily have the same resonance. (Logan is again an example of this.)

The interesting thing about mutants as a concept is that the superheroics are usually the least interesting part of any given X-Man story in comparison to the soap opera interpersonal drama elements. The most well-regarded X-Men stories tend to use superpowers as a way to amplify existing concepts and go wild with them. A director who basically is given a lot of free reign to do something like The Brood as a pure horror story could do something helluva interesting. (Even if you'd probably end up treading super fuckin' close to Aliens as a franchise for obvious reasons.)

Of course this is based on the idea that you'd use mutants as the basis for exploring different genres and settings instead of "Wolverine totally cut off Thanos's cock."

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Are there examples of film series / "cinematic universe"s that had actors as melded with their characters as Jackman is to Wolverine? I suppose maybe Downey Junior / Iron Man.

I'm thinking maybe James Bond? Going from 13 years of campy, growing chubby Roger Moore to broody Dalton must have been quite the switcheroo for Moore-lovers at the time, but even that seems to pale in comparison to the change between whoever will play the next Wolverine, and Jackman.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

side_burned posted:

I would love to see Fassbender and Weaving do this scene.

He won't even last a month. Should've left him food too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fart City posted:

Nobody really cares about anything except the novelty, though.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1100684997810405376

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How broken are you when a movie has a female lead and you just lose your mind. I wanted to type 'just imagine' but I can't even imagine being that way.

Alex Wolf Finger will never forget!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The X-Men still form a refreshing and necessary counterpoint to the authoritarian overtones of a lot of superhero movies by being specifically about a minority group who face discrimination and the constant threat of dehumanisation, kidnapping, imprisonment, murder, experimentation and genocide from the American government and corporations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
X-Men is about rich people who go to a private school and have their own jets. They're trying to evade state authority.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

X-Men is about rich people who go to a private school and have their own jets. They're trying to evade state authority.

A movie about the Morlocks rising up to overthrow the X-men ruling class and establish the working mutant's utopia

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is why Deadpool is the best X-Men movie, he calls out Xavier's crew for being total goddamn weirdos and snobs. And I'm pretty sure most of them hide when Deadpool shows up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There was one goon who insisted that Logan having to drive a limo as a job was a minority degrading himself.

Thing is, that better describes the fate of White Russian emigres. Aristos ended up as cab drivers in Paris and London after the Bolshevik victory.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

A movie about the Morlocks rising up to overthrow the X-men ruling class and establish the working mutant's utopia

Only if the Morlocks are all butt-ugly and their powers are all pretty much useless.

One of the places where any minority metaphor breaks down with the X-Men is when you realise that these young attractive people are sooo burdened with the curse of gently caress You, I Can Turn Into Metal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is why Deadpool is the best X-Men movie, he calls out Xavier's crew for being total goddamn weirdos and snobs. And I'm pretty sure most of them hide when Deadpool shows up.

Yep. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ02EXaGiJ4

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

these people are right for the wrong reasons; it's insanely stupid that RT took away functionality because a handful of nerds said mean words about the next big disney movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brother Entropy posted:

these people are right for the wrong reasons; it's insanely stupid that RT took away functionality because a handful of nerds said mean words about the next big disney movie

Review bombing was a BIG problem for Rotten Tomatoes, their entire platform identity was based around offering unbiased, open measurements of how critics and audiences felt about a film and thanks to the chuds gaming the system the site's reputation for impartiality was getting wrecked, which meant that people could no longer trust RT scores.

(RT scores are loving useless and always have been anyway and people have always gamed the system to some extent and people are still going to review bomb certain movies like crazy, they're just going to do it on the day of release instead of doing it in advance. RT aren't actually fixing anything but they need to be seen to be taking drastic action in overhauling their busted system. It's obviously way more of a PR stunt than a solution to an ongoing problem.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Review bombing was a BIG problem for Rotten Tomatoes, their entire platform identity was based around offering unbiased, open measurements of how critics and audiences felt about a film and thanks to the chuds gaming the system the site's reputation for impartiality was getting wrecked, which meant that people could no longer trust RT scores.

(RT scores are loving useless and always have been anyway and people have always gamed the system to some extent and people are still going to review bomb certain movies like crazy, they're just going to do it on the day of release instead of doing it in advance. RT aren't actually fixing anything but they need to be seen to be taking drastic action in overhauling their busted system. It's obviously way more of a PR stunt than a solution to an ongoing problem.)

i was under the impression that the 'want to see' score that's being taken out didn't even affect the actual 'reduce all reviewers' opinions into a hard number and mash them together' RT score in the first place

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Muh first amenmen right to post online

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's a bit disturbing that Disney has such a chokehold on entertainment "journalism" imo.

As I recall Disney has a history of blackballing journalists that aren't favourable to the mouse, and when your career depends on early access you don't want to bite the glove that feeds you. Reminds me a lot of gaming journalism

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah there needs to be some ethics in movie journalism, you perhaps might say

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

McCloud posted:

It's a bit disturbing that Disney has such a chokehold on entertainment "journalism" imo.

As I recall Disney has a history of blackballing journalists that aren't favourable to the mouse, and when your career depends on early access you don't want to bite the glove that feeds you. Reminds me a lot of gaming journalism

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The real crime in this whole Capt Marvel deal is that I watched the trailer and now my YouTube is infested with poo poo stained MRA neckbeard clickbait about ticket sales :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

didn't Rotten Tomatoes have a countdown for the release of their "highly anticipated" critic score for Justice League? Like through their official twitter and everything?