Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The T440's trackpad didn't have separate buttons, you would push the top part of the trackpad down to click.

The T450 fixed this, and its trackpad can be installed on the T440. Not sure if the X240 was the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah the 240 and 440 have the same style of Trackpoint-without-discrete-buttons, the 450 has that older style that I'm used to with buttons above the touchpad for the Trackpoint (although the really old ones had another set of buttons below the touchpad.)

To clarify though, does the touchpad on the T440 click only at the top (for the Trackpoint) or also at the bottom, like with modern systems? I'm personally used to "tap-to-click" without pressing down to actuate the buttons myself, although like I said this is for another person.

So aside from the minor differences between the models, is there any reason not to go with any of them in particular? As I said I'm leaning towards suggesting the 440 (for the lowest price, and lack of any major advantage of the 450) or the 240 if maximum portability is a concern.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I *think* it was top only, since there are red lines painted where the buttons would be. If I was getting a T440 I'd also get the T450 trackpad to replace it. I believe the clickable pad wasn't well received which is why it only lasted on generation.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Atomizer posted:

Real quick: my bro's looking for a cheap (~$300) Windows laptop and there are a couple of Thinkpad refurbs on Woot that fit. They all look fine to me but would you recommend one of these over another?

T440 vs T450 versus X240.The X240 for $310 is obviously the most portable, but other than that they have similar displays, CPUs, RAM, and SSDs. Assuming the extra portability isn't necessary, then the otherwise almost identical T440 would be a better buy for $270, but is the T450 for $360 worth the extra $90? I'm thinking not, specs-wise, but I know you guys with hands-on experience have a preference for certain keyboard/touchpad considerations; the T450 has the physical buttons around the touchpad, and the T440 doesn't (I've used the former style on older Thinkpads, but the latter is closer to modern laptops like the CB I'm using now.) I also noticed that the T450 is the only one of the 3 that isn't even mentioned in the OP.

So, with all that in mind, am I correct in recommending either the X240 or T440, or is the T450 worth considering?

Just FYI the x240 is ~$100 on ebay. The recycler/surplus vendors will usually guarantee against DOAs as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The T440 touchpad is "click anywhere" for left click. The whole thing is a button. There's an upper and a lower zone for respectively trackpoint and touchpad right click.

It's a stupid design, but it's serviceable if you mainly use tap to click/two finger tap for right click all the time and don't have to do too many drag and drop operations. Otherwise it's clunky and you may find the cursor moving the tiniest bit while you're pushing down the touchpad to click, which isn't great while trying to do stuff with some amount of precision.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ok, thanks guys, I'm looking on eBay and these are all definitely cheaper there. Makes sense for any kind of professional/business equipment to be resold cheaply off-lease. Two more questions though:

First, are there any specific Thinkpad models generally to avoid, beyond the OP disclaimer of "Lenovo has started shipping a lot of consumer variants of the T430, the T430s, the T430u etc and have dramatic concessions made, like sealed or irreplaceable batteries, worse hinges, plastic frame or all of the above. The X, T and W series all use standard parts, standard screws and you can generally get replacement parts for your laptop in most major countries either same day or next day. Replacement screens can be bought new from third party vendors for about $100." So are all the T- or X-series, non-u or -s OK?

Second, given that this is supposed to be a cheap, ~$300 laptop for work only, am I correct in concluding that that price point includes models around the T440-460 and X240-260 vintage? Any more that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Two questions

1) Is there a way to check trackpoint hardware to see if it's faulty? If I'm lucky my T460p's trackpoint works for like 60 seconds after a reboot and then stops working. I've reinstalled the drivers, and no luck on that, so I'm guessing it's the hardware, though IDK.

2) Is it reliable to get replacement batteries on eBay? Or should I be buying from a seller on Amazon? Or should I pony up for a direct from Lenovo option?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've decided I need a laptop for general bullshit like DnD Beyond during game sessions, browsing online, maybe some streaming. I'm not looking for anything spectacular. If I game on it at all it'd be very low spec games like SNES style games.

Would a Chromebook work? Are the ones listed in the OP still good?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I've decided I need a laptop for general bullshit like DnD Beyond during game sessions, browsing online, maybe some streaming. I'm not looking for anything spectacular. If I game on it at all it'd be very low spec games like SNES style games.

Would a Chromebook work? Are the ones listed in the OP still good?

A CB would work for everything you can do in a browser. You can't run Windows software (including emulators) but you can install a Linux distro (via Crouton) and any desired applications if you're willing to tinker (more info in my Chromebook Megathread.) Newer models can run Android apps, and the most recent models can run Linux software natively without having to install a whole distro as above.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Looks like there is an MX250: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX250-Graphics-Card.382341.0.html

Just an MX150 rebadge with better clock numbers (around 5% faster).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Atomizer posted:

the T450 has the physical buttons around the touchpad, and the T440 doesn't (I've used the former style on older Thinkpads, but the latter is closer to modern laptops like the CB I'm using now.)

lol no it isn't, sorry. the whole xx40 series has a nightmare garbage trackpad that must be avoided at all costs. The t450 is absolutely worth the price premium to avoid dealing with it. Not only are there no physical buttons for the trackpoint, but the click mechanism requires so much force and displacement that there's no way your cursor will be on the thing you're trying to click by the time you've got it pressed all the way down.

it's not just that it's a clickpad, it's one of the worst clickpads ever manufactured and there's a really good reason they ditched that design and never looked back.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lol no it isn't, sorry. the whole xx40 series has a nightmare garbage trackpad that must be avoided at all costs. The t450 is absolutely worth the price premium to avoid dealing with it. Not only are there no physical buttons for the trackpoint, but the click mechanism requires so much force and displacement that there's no way your cursor will be on the thing you're trying to click by the time you've got it pressed all the way down.

it's not just that it's a clickpad, it's one of the worst clickpads ever manufactured and there's a really good reason they ditched that design and never looked back.

Noted, thanks.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Best laptop $350 max budget, non used. Only watching movies online and using vpn.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fyallm posted:

Best laptop $350 max budget, non used. Only watching movies online and using vpn.

Acer Chromebook 14? If you're not looking at chromebooks then "best" is going to be an extremely relative concept (and the refurb thinkpads/latitudes everyone posts about will be better in every way).

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

fyallm posted:

Yea at that budget you'd get much better build quality and usability out of a chromebook, or going used. Cheap windows laptops are poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There are no good new laptops at that price point

Go buy a Chromebook or a refurbished thinkpad

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Checking back in for 2019. Looking for a workstation class laptop thats 17" with a 1440p or very similar IPS display. So far the Gram 17 is the only thing that comes close and its not really workstation class and has some other quirks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's a rumor that Apple is going to release a 16.666" macbook pro. It'll probably be insanely expensive, and too thin for it's thermal footprint, but it should inspire more copycats in the next couple of years

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shaocaholica posted:

Checking back in for 2019. Looking for a workstation class laptop thats 17" with a 1440p or very similar IPS display. So far the Gram 17 is the only thing that comes close and its not really workstation class and has some other quirks.

Seen the Thinkpad P72? It comes in either 1080 or 2160p.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

There are several, actually, as long as you can accept 4k, since 1440p is basically non-existent in the laptop sector. As noted, the Lenovo P72 is one. Another is the HP ZBook 17 which, astoundingly, you can spec out with a 17" 1600x900 screen, just in case you absolutely hate whoever is going to be using it. Dell has the Precision 7730, which also can be utterly ruined by not one but three 1600x900 screen options. Or a 4k IGZO screen for $160.

The real question is if you're willing to pay the cost, both in terms of cash and in weight; they're boat anchors compared to other modern laptops.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah 1440p is crucial here since I'll be remoting into a machine with that res and it's a pain to switch res for the remote session for various reasons. Not sure how that would work with a 2160p screen but scaling might make it horrible and 1:1 will be way too tiny.

Maybe I just get the Gram17.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah 1440p is crucial here since I'll be remoting into a machine with that res and it's a pain to switch res for the remote session for various reasons. Not sure how that would work with a 2160p screen but scaling might make it horrible and 1:1 will be way too tiny.

You'd be better off getting a 4k screen for the remote system, opens up your laptop options immensely.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

dissss posted:

You'd be better off getting a 4k screen for the remote system, opens up your laptop options immensely.

Even if I could swing it (it’s a work machine and work doesn’t like snowflake configs) I would be on a larger desktop 2160p display and I doubt that would work well keeping the same res and UI scaling while going down to a 17” for the laptop.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fyallm posted:

- cheap
- new
- good
- Windows

Pick three.

Seriously, you're either looking for a used laptop or a CB, the former which include plenty of options in good condition at reasonable prices, and the latter are often cheap and good new or used, and can connect to a VPN and do any streaming/browsing/productivity stuff that you could want. You don't need Windows and you don't need a new laptop.

The current version of my $350 laptop recommendation, however, is this one, which is inferior to its predecessor (this one,) and needs an SSD upgrade for another $25-50 if you don't already have one to throw in there.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shaocaholica posted:

Even if I could swing it (it’s a work machine and work doesn’t like snowflake configs) I would be on a larger desktop 2160p display and I doubt that would work well keeping the same res and UI scaling while going down to a 17” for the laptop.

It won't make any difference - 3840x2160@150% is exactly the same as 2560x1440@100% so far as desktop size goes.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

If you're viewing a remote desktop with QHD resolution, why don't you try it with an existing system (say 17" at FHD) to see how the scaling looks before making a huge purchase and simultaneously worrying about how you think it will look? I'm using a CB with a "QHD+" display (3200x1800) zoomed to ~1600x900, and on an almost daily basis use CRD to control multiple Windows systems with variable desktop resolutions, from UHD to WFHD and lower. Reading small text can be an issue, but it's surprisingly functional otherwise.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Doesn't RDP automatically scale the resolution upon connection handshake? Why would it matter what resolution your desktop monitor is running when you RDP in? :confused:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Atomizer posted:

- cheap
- new
- good
- Windows

Pick three.

Seriously, you're either looking for a used laptop or a CB, the former which include plenty of options in good condition at reasonable prices, and the latter are often cheap and good new or used, and can connect to a VPN and do any streaming/browsing/productivity stuff that you could want. You don't need Windows and you don't need a new laptop.

The current version of my $350 laptop recommendation, however, is this one, which is inferior to its predecessor (this one,) and needs an SSD upgrade for another $25-50 if you don't already have one to throw in there.

Perfect. Thanks!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

If the native res of the remote system is 1440p, piping that onto a 4k screen is just a 150% scale-up, which generally looks fine, and can be handled entirely on your laptop with no need to dick with the host system res.

Native 4k for day to day use on a 15" is perfectly fine with Win10 these days, so on a 17" system it should be even less of an issue.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

dissss posted:

It won't make any difference - 3840x2160@150% is exactly the same as 2560x1440@100% so far as desktop size goes.

Atomizer posted:

If you're viewing a remote desktop with QHD resolution, why don't you try it with an existing system (say 17" at FHD) to see how the scaling looks before making a huge purchase and simultaneously worrying about how you think it will look? I'm using a CB with a "QHD+" display (3200x1800) zoomed to ~1600x900, and on an almost daily basis use CRD to control multiple Windows systems with variable desktop resolutions, from UHD to WFHD and lower. Reading small text can be an issue, but it's surprisingly functional otherwise.

DrDork posted:

If the native res of the remote system is 1440p, piping that onto a 4k screen is just a 150% scale-up, which generally looks fine, and can be handled entirely on your laptop with no need to dick with the host system res.

Native 4k for day to day use on a 15" is perfectly fine with Win10 these days, so on a 17" system it should be even less of an issue.

Sorry I didn't go into details. My desktop system would be primarily Linux sometimes windows but the remote app would be HP Remote Graphics and I don't think it can scale (I guess I could scale my laptop res :barf:) I have a bunch of apps in linux that don't scale at all and have layouts configured for 1440p which I don't want to mess with. I guess I would just need to try it and see.

I've always been partial to Dell Precision laptops. I'll start nosing around there. Thanks everyone!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dell G3 for $700. 1060 6 GB MaxQ, i5-8300H, 8 GB RAM (one slot open,) 1 TB SSHD (m.2 slot open,) 15" FHD 60 Hz display. Not quite as good a deal as the Overpowered 15+ for $800 (which had a better CPU & GPU, more RAM, better storage configuration, and a better display) but this will also get you 10% back ($70) in points on Rakuten, so for ~$630+tax it's not bad at all.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Reporting in to say that I got an Alienware Area 51m (i9 9900k/RTX 2080) and it is absolutely ridiculous. Having always built my desktop computers for audio production, I am not used to any fan noise at all. But it is pretty unnoticeable unless I am gaming or mixing (where I can't hear it anyway).

For my very specific use case (I move around too much to justify lugging around a desktop), it is perfect.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

space marine todd posted:

Reporting in to say that I got an Alienware Area 51m (i9 9900k/RTX 2080) and it is absolutely ridiculous. Having always built my desktop computers for audio production, I am not used to any fan noise at all. But it is pretty unnoticeable unless I am gaming or mixing (where I can't hear it anyway).

For my very specific use case (I move around too much to justify lugging around a desktop), it is perfect.

How are temperatures under full load? Would you mind sharing some general impressions?

I was looking at the A51M and didn't realize how big and oddly shaped it was until I saw it had 16 x 16 inch dimensions. What kind of bag do you use to carry it around?

I've been eyeing a DTR recently and looked at the A51M as well as the Clevo DTRs (870TM, 775TM, 751TM).

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How are temperatures under full load? Would you mind sharing some general impressions?

I was looking at the A51M and didn't realize how big and oddly shaped it was until I saw it had 16 x 16 inch dimensions. What kind of bag do you use to carry it around?

I've been eyeing a DTR recently and looked at the A51M as well as the Clevo DTRs (870TM, 775TM, 751TM).

Definitely! Temperatures...aren't great, but it's also packing an i9 9900k and RTX 2080 in a (relatively) tiny shell. In games and multimedia production, the CPU will go above 80 degrees. Maybe 90 degrees? I haven't really been paying attention. I'll do some tests tonight and post later with actual numbers. If there's a specific test you'd like me to run, let me know.

If I am running PRIME95, then it definitely hits 100 degrees and then it throttles back down to 3.5GHz. But since I am using this for games and rendering/mixing instead of stress test benchmarks, that's fine by me. I haven't done any undervolting or anything yet.

Temperatures are also not a personal problem for me because I use an external keyboard (Topre switches all day!) and pretty much never touch the actual laptop keyboard (nor the trackpad).

In terms of expectation management, it is best to think of this thing as a very small high performance desktop than a very large laptop. I actually haven't gotten a bag for it yet, but I will be getting this one because I also have to carry around a 15" Retina MacBook Pro for work (oh god my back).

The fan noise will definitely pick up when I'm playing or producing, but at that point, I'm wearing headphones or the music/game sounds are louder than that anyway. Honestly, it staggers me how (relatively) quiet and cool it is considering what is in this drat thing.

I looked at the Clevo DTRs, but they are ugly as hell to me. I have never been a fan of the Alienware aesthetic either (my desktops have almost always been in windowless Lian Li or Nanoxia cases), but I think this computer is actually really nice looking, at least in white. I have also never been a big fan of RGB poo poo, but I actually think it looks really nice because of the white trim.

I am not a professional display critic and haven't calibrated the display, but I love that it is 144Hz *and* has G-Sync. I have a Razer Blade 15 RTX 2060 right next to it, and I think they both look great in terms of color quality, but the Alienware's G-Sync makes for a much better experience when framerates inevitably go below 144Hz.

The Tobii eye/head tracking thing is useless for me, but maybe it'll be cool at some point? The auto-dimming thing is kind of annoying, but easy to disable once you know why it's happening.

I can't tell you how good the speakers are because I plugged in my audio interface the moment I unpacked it.

I got 16GB and the 256GB SSD option because I am planning to replace both with 64GB and 2TB for cheaper. I'm excited to try out the upgrade process. I do wish it had 2 Thunderbolt ports though!

Again, if you share this very specific usecase with me (lots of cores and threads in something that is somewhat portable), I think it's an amazing "laptop". Otherwise, I would recommend something like Gigabyte or Razer (or building your own desktop).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

space marine todd posted:

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, that's really, really helpful! The upgrade process for A51M if you have to remove the "ribcage" seems a bit finicky, but ultimately very doable with time and patience. Something like the Clevo 775TM has much easier upgrades (just remove the backpanel and boom there you are).

I agree that the Clevo DTRs are but ugly. One thing about the A51M is that the GTX2080 is 190w tdp, and is going to receive a bios update to push it to 200w. While I'm not sure how much that 10w is worth, I do know that Clevo 2080s are power limited to 150w, and so are performing suitably worse than the A51M 2080s.

-

Now to the other end of the spectrum of laptops, the Huawei Matebook 13 that was just announced will come with the MX150 25w version (not the neutered one) in some territories, and with that 3:2 screen shoots it to the top of my "13 inch ultraportable" list. No MX250 but I wonder if you could just overclock it to match the 5% clockspeed bump.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

A little bit ago I was wondering why Dell ditched windows hello on the 9380. It has been super handy having it automatically logging into my account as soon as I open up a shared laptop.

That is until I have started to notice some strange behavior on the 9370 that I share with my girlfriend: When I wear a cycling cap the computer automatically logs me into her account. I wouldn't say we have similar facial features. Is the finger print sensors capable of user selection, or is it just a pass/fail test?

I have been having another issue lately where sound will not work unless I log out of the other user account. The same issue has been occurring on my desktop as well, so maybe this one is best addressed elsewhere.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like a 15" laptop that's convenient for frequent travel, both in terms of going through airport security as a carry-on and also being lugged around for hours at a time. It will primarily do office tasks and statistics software, and some older Steam games on occasion. I'd like to spend around $1,000 USD or less, and I don't have to buy anytime soon — I can wait a few months if some break point in design or pricing is likely to occur during that time.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If you don't feel the need for a super-ultra-light, both the Dell XPS 15 and the ThinkPad T series are excellent traveling laptops. The XPS 15, in particular, if you get it with the 1080p screen and 97wh battery, lasts 10+ hours for office use. Both the XPS and T series are very durable, and if you catch them on sale or get refurbs (both Dell and Lenovo offer 1yr warranties on refurbs--same as new), you can get current-gen offerings for around $1000.

Depending on what you mean by "older Steam games" you might not even need a dGPU--anything that's 2d/sprite based can be easily played on iGPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thinkpad T was never intended for gaming while Dell XPS 15 line uses Nvidia's 1050 series GPUs.

The Thinkpad T is pretty much designed for business use while Dell XPS is more general use laptop including light to moderate gaming due to having
a dedicated GPU.

Dell Refurb Link

Other options for "slim" gaming/multipurpose laptops:
Gigabyte Aero 15
MSI Stealth
Razer Blade 15

etalian fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 3, 2019