Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MikeJF posted:

A little, but I think it is really effective at communicating the world.

Although I will say Lynch's Caladan really sucks. The baroque is overboard there and Caladan shouldn't be so oppressive and dark.

THIS is baroque, dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSV9S2Ol3bc&t=62s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Never noticed, until now, the one guy who's curling wrong at ~7:30.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

funcom is making a dune MMO

the merch and spinoff jihad has begun

You know.. Dune just doesn't lend itself , to me, to merch. It's a very cerebral story, and....I don't know IM talking out my rear end
it just seems loving wrong to mass market Dune. Like, it betrays the very meaning of the stories.

The Dune Encyclopedia is cool, and the books of maps and tech details is cool, but to have it be something as banal and mundane as a t-shirt or ....a FUNKOPOP is just upsetting.

But, Im cool with the existence of the RTS games. Eh, I don't know. Maybe im just being cranky and old and "drat KIDS"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Still my favourite scene.

I like how the navigators just leave a huge wet mess on the floor and give no fucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Emperor's poo poo works and suits him, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think Funcom could just reskin Conan Exiles and it would probably work okay. You'd need to add melting people down as a functionality though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The Emperor's poo poo works and suits him, though.

I think it looks ridiculous, like they didn't know what to focus on so they just threw in every prop they could find.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Johnny Aztec posted:

You know.. Dune just doesn't lend itself , to me, to merch. It's a very cerebral story, and....I don't know IM talking out my rear end
it just seems loving wrong to mass market Dune. Like, it betrays the very meaning of the stories.

The Dune Encyclopedia is cool, and the books of maps and tech details is cool, but to have it be something as banal and mundane as a t-shirt or ....a FUNKOPOP is just upsetting.

But, Im cool with the existence of the RTS games. Eh, I don't know. Maybe im just being cranky and old and "drat KIDS"

I’m a big sucker for merch (mostly toys) and Dune is my favorite thing but agreed. It would just be...inappropriate to see a few dozen Dune figures sandwiched between the Marvel Legends and WWE figures at the local target.

Edit: also I’ve been toying with the idea of a Dune tattoo for my 40th birthday but I don’t want some basic bitch obvious stuff like the litany against fear or a sand worm. How do you visually represent “hero worship is a major human flaw that should be excised ASAP and also thopters are cool”?

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 27, 2019

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Probably you could reskin an anthem or warframe clone with fremen just wrecking harkonnen mooks and capturing their water and equipment.Add a combo system on top and sardaukar as end content and boom.Games as a serviiiiice [ Jim Sterling voice ]

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bet the emperor will look old in the new movie too, even though he's supposed to look like he's 35.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I’m a big sucker for merch (mostly toys) and Dune is my favorite thing but agreed. It would just be...inappropriate to see a few dozen Dune figures sandwiched between the Marvel Legends and WWE figures at the local target.

Edit: also I’ve been toying with the idea of a Dune tattoo for my 40th birthday but I don’t want some basic bitch obvious stuff like the litany against fear or a sand worm. How do you visually represent “hero worship is a major human flaw that should be excised ASAP and also thopters are cool”?

CYBERTREX resin high quality figurine (collectors limited edition) at only $200.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Temaukel posted:

I bet the emperor will look old in the new movie too, even though he's supposed to look like he's 35.

Isn't he supposed to be a redhead too instead of the harkonnens? it has been a while.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

This just reminded me of why I don't like this movie. It was the fault of the times, studios didn't trust their audiences to be bothered to watch anything that required thinking and hidden information. Almost every adaptation of the 70's and 80's suffered from this.

The spice is NOT magical. It enhances perceptive and logical processes, with training. RM Mohiam should not be teleprojecting into the throne room. The guild should not suspect Paul to the exclusion of others. They could know the family is involved in the future trouble but only because their prescience is occluded. They would not know why.

AS to the set, I agree it is too baroque. Shaddam in particular was known to be quite austere, wearing no robes, just a Sardukar uniform of approximately colonel rank.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Never noticed, until now, the one guy who's curling wrong at ~7:30.

He is picking up the spice-heavy gases and liquids just dropping out of the Tank. Pretty poo poo design tho. They need a Fremen engineer.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

CYBERTREX resin high quality figurine (collectors limited edition) at only $200.

"A must-have for true Dune fans!" - @duneauthor

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmachina posted:

AS to the set, I agree it is too baroque. Shaddam in particular was known to be quite austere, wearing no robes, just a Sardukar uniform of approximately colonel rank.

I mean, he did wear a big lion shaped helmet on his head.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

priznat posted:

Isn't he supposed to be a redhead too instead of the harkonnens? it has been a while.

So he's @Duneauthor? :thunk:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Johnny Aztec posted:

When I was a kid I had the Sting Feyd toy figure. My brother got Rabban. Feyd came with the milking cat which rules but was pretty confusing considering I didn’t watch the movie until a few years later.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

Probably you could reskin an anthem or warframe clone with fremen just wrecking harkonnen mooks and capturing their water and equipment.Add a combo system on top and sardaukar as end content and boom.Games as a serviiiiice [ Jim Sterling voice ]

Honestly most movie game tie-ins would be better off if they just took a well-regarded game and did a reskin.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Temaukel posted:

So he's @Duneauthor? :thunk:

Holy shiiiiiit that is similar to what I was picturing, I must have seen a pic and subconsciously done that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

priznat posted:

Holy shiiiiiit that is similar to what I was picturing, I must have seen a pic and subconsciously done that.

Chief O'Brien

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rockopolis posted:

Huh. I wonder if the MUDs are any good?

Is there a current MUD/MUSH ?

I was involved in the DuneMUSH & DuneMUSH 2 run out of the UCB CogSci department back in the day. I wish I knew then what I knew now about bash scripting.

C'mon, fess up... there has to be another DuneMUSH alumni in this thread.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
barely any muds or mushes are worth it these days. some are still functioning but not many are living.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

barely any muds or mushes are worth it these days. some are still functioning but not many are living.

a few years back, I got into this Final Fantasy 1 based graphical MUDD that used the ruleset from the Final Fantasy 1 Table Top RPG D&D like game.

It was kind of interesting, but dude only got as far as the Volcano, I believe before he got bored, and abandoned it to make a ...Dragonball Z Graphical MUDD.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MikeJF posted:

Honestly most movie game tie-ins would be better off if they just took a well-regarded game and did a reskin.

Back in the day that's exactly what they used to do (and sometimes still do) and it generally works out better than most.

I don't see why you couldn't sell Dune merch, though it depends on how exactly they market the film. Funko Pops are a given for literally everything they can license, and probably action figures. And half of you would totally buy a Stillsuit halloween costume.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
As Paul is about to abandon his role as Muad;dib and goes to wander in the desert, he turns and says " Be sure to like and subscribe"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Two 'thopters 9/11ing into the Emperor's palace, duh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And half of you would totally buy a Stillsuit halloween costume.

Guilty.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

funcom is making a dune MMO

the merch and spinoff jihad has begun
Let's hope it goes better than Dune Generations, the Dune MMO that never got finished.

mllaneza posted:

Is there a current MUD/MUSH ?

I was involved in the DuneMUSH & DuneMUSH 2 run out of the UCB CogSci department back in the day. I wish I knew then what I knew now about bash scripting.

C'mon, fess up... there has to be another DuneMUSH alumni in this thread.
I'm pretty sure I played them, but I was on a 300 baud dialup from Denmark which had cost per minute for dialing anywhere, so it was mostly used for email - I remember doing a Dune Play By Email thing, but I have no real memories of how the gently caress it worked.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tbh a decent dune mmo set in a post-worm dune universe that treats post-heretics content as non canon would rule

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kyle MacLachlan's face but it's half skeletal and underneath it you write "SKULL WAHAD"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Someone called it the Harkonnen bathroom and this guy’s getting ripped on in a dozen other threads so...for your entertainment I present

The Female Friendly bathroom

bEatmstrJ posted:

Now that you've all forgotten, I guess I can post these.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Box and Pin

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Someone called it the Harkonnen bathroom and this guy’s getting ripped on in a dozen other threads so...for your entertainment I present

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Nothing says female friendly like a rock wall in the shower that you'll have to spend the rest of your life cleaning the mold out of.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That clock really values 5:00

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Jamis' coffee service.

Oh oh, a pain amplifier box around your butthole.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That bathtub will be really great if the Baron wants to, uh, wash his feet?

JohnnySavs posted:

Oh oh, a pain amplifier box around your butthole.

It's cool. Just load up on shere beforehand.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And half of you would totally buy a Stillsuit halloween costume.
Gonna wear a fully-functional one to the premiere. I won't even have to get up to go to the bathroom.

Kinky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

o v e r s t i m u l a t e d