Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

coffeetable posted:

Just noticed Evan Winter's got himself a four-book deal

https://twitter.com/EvanWinter/status/1095346380229488640

:dance:

One of the nice things about the surge in self-publishing is seeing the joy of tiny authors when they 'make it'.

That's good to hear. I've been checking for more from him every now and then. Although I almost got tricked into re-buying it since the self-published version has been replaced by the Orbit version (as of Feb 12) and has a completely different cover :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My 9 year old son read Princess of Mars a several months ago and just completed his class science project (the solar system).

I had no input. I just bought him the paint and the styrofoam.

If you can't see it he labeled Mars, and then under it, Barsoom. lol

I just read murderbot, and am about to read the second one in that series.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Strix, the Hugo and Nebula Awards have always been rigged author popularity contests.
It's just that twitter + social media blew away most the shadows regarding the entire nomination/selection/award process. The person in this thread who has the insane goal of reading all the Hugo nominated stories (Solitair) will attest: there has been utter poo poo nominated every year, and utter poo poo stories tend to win more than expected given random chance.

I'm still mad about Thomas Olde Heuvelt's lovely novelette winning in 2015.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Ok, I'm in on "The Gutter Prayer" knowing nothing but 1 or 2 goons said it was good. The last time I did that with a book it was pretty good - "The Traitor Baru"

I'm taking a brake from the 3rd Storm-light book, about 1/2 way though and I just need a change of pace, 1300 pages uhg.

TGP, 30 or so pages in and so far good enough, my standards will be low I guess if it's a page turner and has quality creepy sex scenes it'll do stoneman totally has a stone dick and we are going to see it . Not really I hate creepy fantasy sex scenes unless it's the first law, then they are just funny.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Solitair posted:

I'm still mad about Thomas Olde Heuvelt's lovely novelette winning in 2015.

Reading the first two Asimov edited Hugo Awards collections in 2018 was a new tier of actively killing braincells via boredom for me.
Your insane lifequest is like Ahab's, forever chasing the white whale whom never stops moving. Swap your impossible to finish lifequest for something much more interesting, like the Gardner Dozois (RIP big man) Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies....they only started in 1984 and have a hard cutoff date of last year/2017....again RIP Gardner Dozois.

Power skimmed The Art of Immersion by Frank Rose because as I got deeper into it many of the examples in it/people of interest have aged super badly.
Jordan Weisman: FASA creator, book managed to explain why that weird IP rights chain of custody for MechWarrior 4 exists. Weisman is addicting to spinning up new companies anytime he meets someone new.
Peter Molyneux: hype, hype, hype, hype until the heat-death of the universe.
Will Wright: part of the inspiration for SimCity came from Stanislaw Lem's The Seventh Sally (available in Lem's Cyberiad which most people in this thread probably own by now).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today on reddit has too much time on their hands: Stats for braids tugged, skirts smoothed in Wheel of Time.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

spacetoaster posted:

My 9 year old son read Princess of Mars a several months ago and just completed his class science project (the solar system).

I had no input. I just bought him the paint and the styrofoam.

If you can't see it he labeled Mars, and then under it, Barsoom. lol

I just read murderbot, and am about to read the second one in that series.

That's quality parenting.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

This is awesome. I remember years ago in the "bad thread" some goon found only a handful of "lemoncakes" in the whole text of Song of Ice and Fire, but it doesn't matter. It's got a life of it's own at this point.

Tugs braid was overdone in the 4th WOT book and the tooth paste is out of the tube.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

spandexcajun posted:

This is awesome. I remember years ago in the "bad thread" some goon found only a handful of "lemoncakes" in the whole text of Song of Ice and Fire, but it doesn't matter. It's got a life of it's own at this point.

Tugs braid was overdone in the 4th WOT book and the tooth paste is out of the tube.

I remember that. There were definitely some GRRM-isms that came up all the time in those books, though (nuncle, "words are wind", must needs).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Reading the first two Asimov edited Hugo Awards collections in 2018 was a new tier of actively killing braincells via boredom for me.
Your insane lifequest is like Ahab's, forever chasing the white whale whom never stops moving. Swap your impossible to finish lifequest for something much more interesting, like the Gardner Dozois (RIP big man) Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies....they only started in 1984 and have a hard cutoff date of last year/2017....again RIP Gardner Dozois.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

but i will check out those anthologies thanks

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

spandexcajun posted:

If you read the thread a bit, someone looks at a book with only one braid tugging and finds a paragraph with 4 different instances of braid manipulation. It's not the best count.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Randallteal posted:

I remember that. There were definitely some GRRM-isms that came up all the time in those books, though (nuncle, "words are wind", must needs).

IMO the dark fantasy genre should just be renamed 'coin n' whores' as a counterpart to sword and sorcery.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just read Voices of Heaven, it's good. Frederik Pohl is good.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
:siren: Warning, warning! The latest Ann Leckie book, The Raven Tower, is written in second person! Take whatever action you deem necessary.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You won three Hugos, and now your writing style is in vogue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You struggle with this book, because after every sentence you think, "No I'm not."

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You have read second person narratives before, and enjoyed them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It worked for If On A Winter's Night A Traveler

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I finally got around to reading Long Way / Small Planet.

It was great, but the whole "I'm powered by kinetic energy harvested from my own movements" thing in the second one is irrationally bothersome. Just say you're powered by a chunk of unobtanium or something. gaah

The whole "cozy sci fi" genre reminds me a lot of Lawrence Watt-Evans' fantasy novels, especially Ithnalin's Restoration, which I don't recommend often enough to folks

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 27, 2019

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I finally got around to reading Long Way / Small Planet.

It was great, but the whole "I'm powered by kinetic energy harvested from my own movements" thing in the second one is irrationally bothersome. Just say you're powered by a chunk of unobtanium or something. gaah

The whole "cozy sci fi" genre reminds me a lot of Lawrence Watt-Evans' fantasy novels, especially Ithnalin's Restoration, which I don't recommend often enough to folks

This is a running theme with her, I'm half convinced its a shibboleth. Book one has space ships powered by algae growing in tanks in the dark of space. Book three has space ships powered by people walking around the ship's hallways occasionally stepping on pressure plates.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

pseudorandom name posted:

You have read second person narratives before, and enjoyed them.

You quite enjoyed the second-person chapters of Bank's Complicity, but you wonder if it would be sustainable over a whole novel.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You thought Stross did a pretty good job with both of his, especially how the second one actually had a very clever reason for the second person perspective.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

You encounter a book written in the second person.

If you try to read it, turn to page 43

If you choose to ignore it, turn to page 210

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Can someone remind me what the good Stanislaw Lem translation was?

Also, talking about translations: I'm reading Eco's Baudolino currently. I guess I have to thank perma cat prison inhabitant BoL for harping on it. I do keep wondering though: BoL if you're on the lam currently: You keep insisting that the prose is everything, yet very few people in this thread can read the original Italian I suppose. So would your recomendation be contingent on one particular translation? Or is that not how it works?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I notice people here rarely mention Robert Silverberg. Given how prolific he is I don't doubt he's written a lot of crap, but does no one even rate his best? I ask because his Majipoor books are finally available on Kindle and I was considering buying them. The only thing I've read of his was Nightwings which I thought was a fantastic little novella somewhere between post-apocalyptic and Dying Earth which was a heartwarming story of redemption for the human race. Do his other works not live up?

Also, I remember Hieronymus (I think) linking a page some time back of a guy who kept fairly extensive notes on sci fi and fantasy he'd read, presented in a rather ugly bare-bones website. He had more of a literary background than most sci fi/fantasy critics and had a focus on older (pre-1980s) works and wrote some interesting commentary. I seem to remember Hieronymus (or whomever provided the link) saying it was his go-to when he was looking for something new to read. I've lost the link; anyone have an idea what I'm talking about?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Neurosis posted:

I notice people here rarely mention Robert Silverberg. Given how prolific he is I don't doubt he's written a lot of crap, but does no one even rate his best? I ask because his Majipoor books are finally available on Kindle and I was considering buying them. The only thing I've read of his was Nightwings which I thought was a fantastic little novella somewhere between post-apocalyptic and Dying Earth which was a heartwarming story of redemption for the human race. Do his other works not live up?

Also, I remember Hieronymus (I think) linking a page some time back of a guy who kept fairly extensive notes on sci fi and fantasy he'd read, presented in a rather ugly bare-bones website. He had more of a literary background than most sci fi/fantasy critics and had a focus on older (pre-1980s) works and wrote some interesting commentary. I seem to remember Hieronymus (or whomever provided the link) saying it was his go-to when he was looking for something new to read. I've lost the link; anyone have an idea what I'm talking about?

http://greatsfandf.com/master-list/master-list.php

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

This looks like what I remember, thanks.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

genericnick posted:

Can someone remind me what the good Stanislaw Lem translation was?

Michael Kandel did very skilled multiple language translations for 4 or so of Lem's books.
Cyberiad, and most of the Tichy stories.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You are really enjoying the mockery on this page of the 2nd-person device, but you wouldn't want to read anything longer than a paragraph. In fact, you wonder why her editors/publishers didn't nix the idea before it got off the ground.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s actually pretty good. The reason some of it’s in second person is that the rest is in first person, and the first-person narrator is addressing the character in the second-person parts.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

IIRC, "Acceptance", the third Southern Reach book, switched back and forth between third person and second person. That was a colossally unnecessary mindfuck.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Michael Kandel did very skilled multiple language translations for 4 or so of Lem's books.
Cyberiad, and most of the Tichy stories.

Greatly appreciated.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished up The Blighted City and honestly... can't really recommend. It's got a somewhat interesting synopsis but it's just not written well enough to save it from the weird poo poo the author threw in.

I have pretty much no idea (save a decent guess on a plot point) at where the series is going. I don't mind that, but I don't care about the characters enough to actually give a drat about what might happen down the road.

It's got zombies and old women trapped in 13 year old bodies and paranoid people and one weird goddamn plot device.

There's better stuff out there to waste time on.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Looks like the Nebula list is bad because it got slated by a group of indie authors.

https://camestrosfelapton.wordpress.com/2019/02/21/the-nebulas-20booksto50-not-a-nudge-nudge-slate/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

team overhead smash posted:

You encounter a book written in the second person.

If you try to read it, turn to page 43

If you choose to ignore it, turn to page 210

I turned to page 210 and people were still talking about Wheel of Time then.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Skimming through, he's apparently one of the approximately three people alive who ever heard of Avram Davidson so, yeah, list approved.

edit: Anyone actually read anything by Ernest Bramah? Going through this guy's description it seems to be a set of horribly Orientalist farces in the best retrotradition of Bridge of Birds, but he rates it at five stars while Hughart got two... Consider my interest piqued.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 27, 2019

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Demolished man but no stars my destination under Bester: what

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Looks like the Nebula list is bad because it got slated by a group of indie authors.

https://camestrosfelapton.wordpress.com/2019/02/21/the-nebulas-20booksto50-not-a-nudge-nudge-slate/

It seems like a bit of an overstatement to call it 'slated' when they got like, three things? onto some of the shorter fiction categories but it does bring up again the questions about appropriate self-promotion and online popularity. Their statement that self-published books are as valid as house published items is true, but they still have to stand on their own merits and I have no idea if the stories they favored do that.

eta: though there's likely no way in hell that novella is beating Artificial Condition

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

General Battuta posted:

It’s actually pretty good. The reason some of it’s in second person is that the rest is in first person, and the first-person narrator is addressing the character in the second-person parts.

Maybe if I can get the hell out of the second person parts it will improve, but I'm bouncing off hard at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Skimming through, he's apparently one of the approximately three people alive who ever heard of Avram Davidson so, yeah, list approved.

edit: Anyone actually read anything by Ernest Bramah? Going through this guy's description it seems to be a set of horribly Orientalist farces in the best retrotradition of Bridge of Birds, but he rates it at five stars while Hughart got two... Consider my interest piqued.

I've read a couple of his Max Carrados short stories, which are mysteries featuring a blind private detective. They were okay but not anything that made me want to go out and hunt for more.