Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They don't think it happened, because they think the accusers are all liars trying to bring down someone they know to be a good man. To convict Pell would mean that they were wrong about another powerful white man, and they see the attack on Pell as an attack on their identity and belief structure.
This is one of the reasons why domestic violence convictions against white men are going down year after year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They don't think it happened, because they think the accusers are all liars trying to bring down someone they know to be a good man. To convict Pell would mean that they were wrong about another powerful white man, and they see the attack on Pell as an attack on their identity and belief structure.

Further to this, it's also enough to make them think about their behaviour or their friends - the minimisation and normalisation is a pretty classic technique if you've seen or done worse. "What? It was only five minutes. And he didn't even cum!" is a state of mind (I think) you can only get to if you've in some way participated (either actively or in the cover-up) in the same, if not worse. And while I'm not accusing his silk of anything, I'm absolutely prepared to believe that some of the people vociferously defending him have committed sex crimes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/nomstrositi/status/1100515755471253505

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Over a thousand people died in a small war in 1999, including some planes being shot down There have been skirmishes and smaller conflicts since then.

It's bad though.

It's a good job we have some Very Responsible People who aren't at all consumed with their personal misfortunes in a position to aid both countries in coming to a diplomatic solution, isn't it.

Btw, Cohen's testimony to Congress is tomorrow, the text is already out there, and Trump is gonna go insane.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Holy poo poo I just saw the Palmer communist airstrip in WA ad :psyduck:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
could I get a link, I need a laugh tonight

Taalib
May 5, 2011

ewe2 posted:

That's bad enough, but I'm finding some journalists support Brennan's polemic like this guy who is furious over the suppression order to start with. Seems to me he wants the case thrown out because he dislikes the judge also. He's been flinging out all kinds of half-baked angles including Brennan's. I suppose we had to expect a backlash, but its pretty blatant.

Professor Jeremy Gans biography posted:

Jeremy Gans is a Professor in Melbourne Law School, where he researches and teaches across all aspects of the criminal justice system. He holds higher degrees in both law and criminology. In 2007, he was appointed as the Human Rights Adviser to the Victorian Parliament's Scrutiny of Acts and Regulations Committee.

His early research focused on fact-finding in sexual assault trials, the subject of his doctoral thesis and a number of published articles, and criminal investigation, especially the technique of DNA identification. He is the author of a criminal law treatise and a co-author of texts on evidence law and criminal process rights. He has contributed to public debate on criminal justice in a number of forums, including publishing a running commentary on Victoria's Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities at charterblog.wordpress.com in 2008

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ignimbrite posted:

could I get a link, I need a laugh tonight

https://youtu.be/aQB9uPIBfHY

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Are they seriously trying to imply that if China wanted to invade Australia for our resources (which we are happy to give to them below market rates, thanks Howard) that this one airstrip would make the difference?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The resources they just banned.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

The resources they just banned.

Because they banned them the only way they can get them is to invade and take them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSsUTvvgyLI

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I wish someone would build an airstrip around all these bloody ads

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Turks posted:

Are they seriously trying to imply that if China wanted to invade Australia for our resources (which we are happy to give to them below market rates, thanks Howard) that this one airstrip would make the difference?

IIRC one of the two military officers is Palmer’s nephew, and the other one is his former Chief of Staff

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
i made better-resourced and built airstrips and ports in my sandbox when I was 6 than whatever Palmer thinks those two are

seriously, that airstrip looks like something any random cocky farmer or the flying doctors would put down at at any random point west of the great dividing range

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dude McAwesome posted:

Defending a pedo priest is a solid strategy in the lead up to a federal election. It’s what the silent majority wants to see.

I tried to make a pun on "silent majority" and "minors" but my brain's just not up to it tonight.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Turks posted:

Hi, I'm from that part of the Pilbara, and can provide a comprehensive list of strategic assets you could begin airlifting directly to China from this airfield-

- Meth

... I hope this has been enlightening.

(There is loving nothing there except raw materials, which sure you can airlift troops to capture, but you need botes to get it out. And by then you'd have two yank carrier battle groups in the way. This entire scenario is loving retarded is the short summary)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The company building the airstrip is involved in a massive lawsuit with Palmer currently.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Holy poo poo I just saw the Palmer communist airstrip in WA ad :psyduck:

haha how good is it?

Brown Paper Bag posted:

IIRC one of the two military officers is Palmer’s nephew, and the other one is his former Chief of Staff

I hope that's true. Couldn't even find an unrelated xenophobic piece of poo poo from the armed forces for god's sake.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Howard and Abbott responses to Pell make me think what a poster above said: that they don't see it as a big deal.

Nobody decent refers to making a child suck your dick as a "mistake" And very few decent people, upon having one of their friends convicted of making a child suck their dick would say "none of this changes my opinion of you."

It’s because they’re both pedos too imo

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
All I can picture is that scene from spotlight where Rachael McAdams gets the old Pedro to admit he raped kids, but it's no Biggie cos he was raped and its all good part of growing up what's the dealio

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hiddenmovement posted:

All I can picture is that scene from spotlight where Rachael McAdams gets the old Pedro to admit he raped kids, but it's no Biggie cos he was raped and its all good part of growing up what's the dealio

This is the most racist post I've ever read

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Krazyface posted:

I tried to make a pun on "silent majority" and "minors" but my brain's just not up to it tonight.

Thank god.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The company building the airstrip is involved in a massive lawsuit with Palmer currently.

Okay it's jordies but he's about the right level for Clive.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

imagine if shane warne had nukes

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Tasmantor posted:

Is this going to actually help sink the people standing by Pell or is Australia far enough gone to just let it all slide?

I get a feeling that it's going to be consigned to the collective too hard basket regardless of the appeal outcome.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Over a thousand people died in a small war in 1999, including some planes being shot down There have been skirmishes and smaller conflicts since then.

It's bad though.

There's an election coming up in India. It will be zany as always, but it could also be close.

What better way that to prop up a Government's popularity with a bit of bombing action and the sexy appeal of a khaki election! Not quite sure being aircraft being shot down was a part of the script.

There's also a good bit of meta at play. When Khan was sworn in a while ago he made some big statements about wanting to work with India to get to more peaceful times. Modi has been ratcheting up the rhetoric on insurgent groups based in Pakistan for months to get him to back track on that and lose face ever since - ace.

Of course Pakistan are always going to have trouble evidencing that they are doing everything they can to stamp out the outlawed Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist group (yes I googled the name) which is what this is about apparently, but maaaaybe not quite enough.

I'd expect lots of shells being lobbed and small arms fire coming out of the wazoo but probably nothing else just yet as India will want their pilot back and don't have a brilliant way to get past Pakistan's SAMs.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And have been for about a decade now. Cape Preston is an iron ore mine, by the way - the port is for a barges, it's not a deepwater port and the actual transport vessels moor out at the transhipper off the coast. I'm not even sure that the airport is actually there, when I was working there we had to go via the Karratha airport about two hours away.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idk if all the rape jokes are funny any more. I'm not innocent but I feel gross after all the gloating and revelling over this guy getting done for raping a child

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Idk if all the rape jokes are funny any more.

they never were

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's what I mean really, but if there was any window for them (out of anger or shock or coping or anything) I think it's passed now. This poo poo is horrible and it has deeply saddened me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
maybe when we were 13 and didn't really know better

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Irreverent humor is always a balance between not sticking to accepted social norms but not overstepping accepted social boundaries.

You can get away with more if you are or pretend to be immature.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

This image is horrible and has deeply saddened me.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Idk if all the rape jokes are funny any more. I'm not innocent but I feel gross after all the gloating and revelling over this guy getting done for raping a child

eh, so far all the jokes posted here at least have been attacking pell for being a rock spider, not mocking the seriousness of rape itself

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

An Australian Tax Office whistleblower facing 161 years in prison for exposing misconduct by the ATO will not be protected by new laws passed by Parliament designed to shield those who lift the lid on abuses by Australia's most powerful bodies.

The new whistleblower protections only apply to corporations, not government employees, leaving whistleblowers exposed.

Good, good.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It’s good to know that uncovering government corruption carries a much harsher sentence than raping a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Endman posted:

It’s good to know that uncovering government corruption carries a much harsher sentence than raping a child.

Or committing mass murder