Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Those are some cool loving photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Raikyn posted:

Processed some more warbirds shots

awesomeness

If someone has flown this type, how do they handle, are they twitchy or forgiving?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
My wife's got a collection of Coca-Cola stuff, and I noticed this bookmark last night. Thought the choice of examples was interesting.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A new drone has been unveiled.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-27/combat-drone-secretly-developed-by-raaf-and-boeing-unveiled/10851000

quote:

A large drone designed for electronic warfare, which could eventually carry bombs, will be publicly unveiled today after being secretly developed with the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).

The unmanned system is roughly the size of a traditional jet fighter and was quietly developed in Brisbane by aerospace giant Boeing, in collaboration with the RAAF and the Defence Department.

A prototype of the yet-to-be-named unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) is expected to be unveiled this morning by Defence Minister Christopher Pyne at the Avalon aerospace trade show outside Melbourne.

Details of the classified "Loyal Wingman" project remain scant, but the ABC believes the UAV is designed to fly up to several thousand kilometres.

Its primary purpose would be to conduct electronic warfare and reconnaissance missions, particularly in environments where it is considered risky to send manned aircraft.

On the aircraft's underside is a large payload bay that can carry a sensor or electronic warfare equipment, but industry sources said it could also be used to one day carry bombs.

The UAV could be deployed alongside existing RAAF aircraft such as the P-8A Poseidon to provide crucial support in combat operations.

It is the first combat aircraft to be designed and developed in Australia in more than half a century, and the ABC understands it could be in production by the mid-2020s.

In November the Government announced the American-produced MQ-9 Reaper had been selected as Australia's first armed remotely piloted aircraft system.

Last year former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull also announced Australia would purchase six American-made unmanned Triton spy planes, which do not carry weapons, at a cost of $7 billion.

The cost of the Boeing "Loyal Wingman" project is not known, but it is believed to be the company's largest investment of its kind outside the US.

Once fully developed, the Australian-designed aircraft could eventually be exported to other nations, government sources said.

Expect footage later today at the announcement. It is apparently ~12m long.

Raikyn posted:

A few more airshow photos

Those are amazing photos.

Airshow on here this weekend but I'll be missing it this year. However planes have started to show up already and this year they've got a ground display B52, I saw it do a flyby from Guam at the last airshow in 2017 but some planespotters got incredible footage of it arriving on Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNXw2xHJoGg

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

drunkill posted:

YF-23 rides again, drone edition

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Raikyn posted:

Processed some more warbirds shots

These are fantastic. What kind of lens did you use?

drunkill posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-27/combat-drone-secretly-developed-by-raaf-and-boeing-unveiled/10851000

Expect footage later today at the announcement. It is apparently ~12m long.

I swear I fought these in Ace Combat 7.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

Those are some cool loving photos.

They really are :swoon:

ewe2 posted:

If someone has flown this type, how do they handle, are they twitchy or forgiving?

By all accounts the SE5 is one of the better-handling Allied fighters. Certainly more predictable, stable and less vicious than the Camel and many of the other rotary-engined aircraft and it lacked any aerodynamic quirks like the RE8 and its nasty spin/stall behaviour. It was developed at a point in the war when the knowledge of aerodynamics and which control systems did/didn't work was rapidly improving, and there was an effective dialogue between operational squadrons and the designers at the Royal Aircraft Factory as well a new ethos at the RAF about designing aircraft which considered the skills/training/survivability of the pilots rather than just producing 'a good fighter' on paper and expecting the fly-boys to deal with whatever handling or performance issues arose. Apparently the SE5 is very unusual for its time in that it can genuinely be flown hands-off which is something of a boon, especially when you're standing up to change the drums in the top-mounted Lewis gun! It was also much more structurally sturdy than earlier fighters, giving pilots greater confidence to throw it about in aerobatics, push its limits in terms of airspeed and Gs and making it better at shrugging off rough landings.

Fake edit: Rather than trying to recall stuff from memory and hearsay, have it from the horse's mouth:

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/flying-se5a

"Compared to other Great War fighters it is rugged, reliable and very stable, and an excellent gun platform allowing an accurate shot from a greater distance. If I were comparing it to a more modern aircraft I would have to relate it to a 1950s era Great Lakes trainer, the SE5a certainly doesn’t feel like a ninety year-old design."

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

BalloonFish posted:

especially when you're standing up to change the drums in the top-mounted Lewis gun!

Nitpick on a good post but you don’t have to do this; as you can see in the photos the top gun is on a curved rail called a Foster mounting to allow it to be pulled down so that it sits vertically with the body of the gun right in front of the pilot for precisely such operations

Now of course you're still fiddling with cantankerous mechanicals using gloves hands while strapped into a confined space with wind and oil and vertigo and potentially bullets battering you in the face at 100kn so it was hardly easy, but still better than unstrapping and standing

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 27, 2019

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

drunkill posted:

Airshow on here this weekend but I'll be missing it this year. However planes have started to show up already and this year they've got a ground display B52, I saw it do a flyby from Guam at the last airshow in 2017 but some planespotters got incredible footage of it arriving on Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNXw2xHJoGg

The B-52 has to be one of the most mental airplanes ever made to sit in on the design stages of.

Dual Mains: :stare:
Dual Nose: :catstare:
WINGTIP SINGLES: :rock:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

"Compared to other Great War fighters it is rugged, reliable and very stable, and an excellent gun platform allowing an accurate shot from a greater distance. If I were comparing it to a more modern aircraft I would have to relate it to a 1950s era Great Lakes trainer, the SE5a certainly doesn’t feel like a ninety year-old design."

Thanks! That site is terrific, too. It's incredible how quickly the technology advanced by the end of the Great War.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

SeaborneClink posted:

The B-52 has to be one of the most mental airplanes ever made to sit in on the design stages of.

I mean...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/OfficialDGISPR/status/1100641491679150080

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

These are fantastic. What kind of lens did you use?

I swear I fought these in Ace Combat 7.

Used a 600mm lens. Does an alright job.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

On bad flights: Ferry Command used to fly PBY Catalina to Britain, via Bermuda. Bermuda BTW is about 1000 km (600 miles) off the US coast. Even so, flying a Catalina from Bermuda to Wales took aprox. 29 hours

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t know anything came that close to the Double Sunrise.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

On bad flights: Ferry Command used to fly PBY Catalina to Britain, via Bermuda. Bermuda BTW is about 1000 km (600 miles) off the US coast. Even so, flying a Catalina from Bermuda to Wales took aprox. 29 hours

Catalinas were also used on the Indian Ocean Service, established by a joint effort between QANTAS and the RAAF to re-establish an air line between Australia and the rest of the Empire which had been cut by the Japanese invasion of Malaya and the conquest of Singapore. Faced with nearly 3500 miles of over-ocean flying, the Catalinas flew direct and non-stop across the eastern Indian Ocean between Perth and Ceylon/Sri Lanka. You'll probably notice that this puts them right nearby large parts of the East Indies then well-supplied with Japanese fighter aircraft. The Catalinas had to maintain radio silence the entire way and could not use any form of radio navigation - it was all done by astro-nav- and they could not receive en-route weather reports. The trip was the longest scheduled over-ocean air leg in the world at the time. It was timetabled to take 29 hours but unfavourable winds and weather could extend that to over 32 hours.

In order to carry enough fuel to make the trip the Catalains had to be largely stripped of their interiors. They only carried three passengers and no more than 150lbs of high-priority mail. The Catalinas carried so much fuel on take-off that if one of the engines failed during the first 10 hours of the flight the aircraft wouldn't be able to stay aloft, but that never happened.

By the end of 1944 the service was able to use B-24s which could carry five times the payload and shave 10 hours off the trip.

Platystemon posted:

I didn’t know anything came that close to the Double Sunrise.

You got a certificate to prove it on the QANTAS flights:

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 27, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BalloonFish posted:

They really are :swoon:

By all accounts the SE5 is one of the better-handling Allied fighters. Certainly more predictable, stable and less vicious than the Camel and many of the other rotary-engined aircraft and it lacked any aerodynamic quirks like the RE8 and its nasty spin/stall behaviour. It was developed at a point in the war when the knowledge of aerodynamics and which control systems did/didn't work was rapidly improving, and there was an effective dialogue between operational squadrons and the designers at the Royal Aircraft Factory as well a new ethos at the RAF about designing aircraft which considered the skills/training/survivability of the pilots rather than just producing 'a good fighter' on paper and expecting the fly-boys to deal with whatever handling or performance issues arose. Apparently the SE5 is very unusual for its time in that it can genuinely be flown hands-off which is something of a boon, especially when you're standing up to change the drums in the top-mounted Lewis gun! It was also much more structurally sturdy than earlier fighters, giving pilots greater confidence to throw it about in aerobatics, push its limits in terms of airspeed and Gs and making it better at shrugging off rough landings.

Fake edit: Rather than trying to recall stuff from memory and hearsay, have it from the horse's mouth:

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/flying-se5a

Frederick Libby, author of Horses Don't Fly, was an American cowboy who joined the Canadian Army and wound up in the RAF had nothing but nice things to say about the SE5.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=222337

Slightly weird that it's in an accident database, if you think about it, but here we are.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

BalloonFish posted:

Catalinas were also used on the Indian Ocean Service, established by a joint effort between QANTAS and the RAAF to re-establish an air line between Australia and the rest of the Empire which had been cut by the Japanese invasion of Malaya and the conquest of Singapore. Faced with nearly 3500 miles of over-ocean flying, the Catalinas flew direct and non-stop across the eastern Indian Ocean between Perth and Ceylon/Sri Lanka. You'll probably notice that this puts them right nearby large parts of the East Indies then well-supplied with Japanese fighter aircraft. The Catalinas had to maintain radio silence the entire way and could not use any form of radio navigation - it was all done by astro-nav- and they could not receive en-route weather reports. The trip was the longest scheduled over-ocean air leg in the world at the time. It was timetabled to take 29 hours but unfavourable winds and weather could extend that to over 32 hours.

In order to carry enough fuel to make the trip the Catalains had to be largely stripped of their interiors. They only carried three passengers and no more than 150lbs of high-priority mail. The Catalinas carried so much fuel on take-off that if one of the engines failed during the first 10 hours of the flight the aircraft wouldn't be able to stay aloft, but that never happened.

By the end of 1944 the service was able to use B-24s which could carry five times the payload and shave 10 hours off the trip.

You got a certificate to prove it on the QANTAS flights:

If people want more information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_Sunrise

They remain the longest ever commercial flights in history (in terms of length not distance)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drunkill posted:

They remain the longest ever commercial flights in history (in terms of length not distance)

Did commercial airship services not count as a "flight"?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

:hmmyes:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

hobbesmaster posted:

it's not 'flight' unless it's provided by aerodynamic lift FIGHT ME

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If it's not a flight, what is it then?

2 Lift 2 Luxurious: Dirigible Drift?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

simplefish posted:

2 Lift 2 Luxurious: Dirigible Drift?

Amazing :golfclap:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

simplefish posted:

A float. A buoyance.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Kind of interesting. F-117 still flying 11 years after the official retirement. May be using it for sensor testing. May be worth having in the budget to say "That black triangle you saw? it is old news, nothing interesting, don't worry about black triangles".

http://thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26662/behold-the-most-detailed-photo-taken-of-an-airborne-f-117-nighthawk-in-over-a-decade

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Kind of interesting. F-117 still flying 11 years after the official retirement. May be using it for sensor testing. May be worth having in the budget to say "That black triangle you saw? it is old news, nothing interesting, don't worry about black triangles".

http://thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26662/behold-the-most-detailed-photo-taken-of-an-airborne-f-117-nighthawk-in-over-a-decade

I thought they converted some to targeting drones?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Probably what they were doing? The story that has been pieced together about area 51 is that its where the testing of stealth technologies and radars is done. So an F-117 flying circles around area 51 was probably testing some sort of radar on the ground to see how it does against "old" stealth technology.

Or maybe they were testing some of the alien stuff there, who knows.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think another poster here said, last time this came up, that the F-117 has the most well-studied and documented radar cross section of any plane so it's ideal for testing radars and their ability to track things that don't want to be tracked.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's no way the F-117 is a real plane.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SeaborneClink posted:

You forgot about the really mental bits of the B-52 - eight engines that were still only barely adequate for the job, mostly useless control surfaces, a 1940s and 50s understanding of aircraft stability and handling, and in early models little screaming air turbines driving every system you can imagine all over the aircraft, being fed by bleed air from the engines that was so hot the ducts carrying it would be glowing cherry red.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's no way the F-117 is a real plane.

Well yeah thats why everyone thought it and the have blue were alien spaceships

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably what they were doing? The story that has been pieced together about area 51 is that its where the testing of stealth technologies and radars is done. So an F-117 flying circles around area 51 was probably testing some sort of radar on the ground to see how it does against "old" stealth technology.

Or maybe they were testing some of the alien stuff there, who knows.

Groom Lake was first set up when they were developing the U-2 and then the SR-71.

It’s also where the CIA kept the first captured MiGs before the Red Eagles were set up. Coincidentally, the Red Eagles were also based at Tonopah; they flew MiGs during the day and had to be on the ground before dark. The F-117s flew at night and had to be on the ground before dawn.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Finger Prince posted:

Old F-16 -> QF-16 is the current drone program.

Edit: Testing detection equipment against the F-117 makes a lot of sense to me, tbh.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Slow Mo Guys caught some awesome supersonic shockwaves from a tank shell, looks so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ8EoGmLuE

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That last shot. :stare:

Also, what's with the wobbling from the M4?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
yeeesh, they should be doubled up on ear pro.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Godholio posted:

Also, what's with the wobbling from the M4?

I'm just speculating but the "only live firing 76mm sherman tank in the world" probably has a pretty worn barrel by now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was pretty drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
That D-20 shot is incredible.