Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

this has been a really good day and tomorrow is gonna be really good too. I got my Lonely Island tickets, there was a new Pokemon trailer, we're probably getting a new Pokemon generation announcement tomorrow, new Carly Rae Jepsen and Kitty singles, and Our President, The Angry Orange is going to get his dirty laundry aired out for a few hours tomorrow.

edit: and this is the first tuesday in like a month where there was not some grotesque winter weather event beating down my door. No -50 degree windchill, no ice storm, no blizzard, no gross sleet, just normal cold and my driveway is still covered in ice thick enough to play hockey.

The Direct just happened. Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. It appears to be based on a sort of early 20th Century London from what I gather. One of the gyms is a football* stadium. The starters are a fire rabbit, a water lizard, and a brass grass monkey.

*Soccer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Direct just happened. Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. It appears to be based on a sort of early 20th Century London from what I gather. One of the gyms is a football* stadium. The starters are a fire rabbit, a water lizard, and a brass grass monkey.

*Soccer.

Give me a futbol club management mini-game, Nintendo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can totally see that being a thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also the monkey is curious, the rabbit is hyper, and the lizard is depressed

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I want a Switch so bad now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/nickostrem/status/1100764229425156100

(i know sharing your own tweets is sad but i really liked this one so bleh)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty good tweet

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

if i had any sort of photoshop skills whatsoever i would have put him in sunglasses, chain and hat with a 40 in his hand

but i guess i'll have to wait for someone to draw that (so like, tomorrow)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

porfiria posted:

Is True Detective 3 good? Wasn't 2 really bad?

Season 2 was fun bad, Season 3 is boring bad.

LesterGroans posted:

I dunno, season 2 of True Detective is a big old mess, but at least it's an interesting mess. Season 3 seemed to be too worried about getting dunked on to try anything outside of its comfort zone. Also, losing Jeremy Saulnier after the first two episodes is pretty noticeable. I would have loved to see how he'd handle that shootout.

it's funny because the shootout is literally a much worse version of the shootout from Saulnier's last movie, right down to the shooter being a PTSD addled Native American man.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 27, 2019

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

I want a Switch so bad now.

It's a good console, but I may be biased because I loving love Pokemon and Kirby.

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/nickostrem/status/1100764229425156100

(i know sharing your own tweets is sad but i really liked this one so bleh)

I'm team Grookey.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's a good console, but I may be biased because I loving love Pokemon and Kirby.

I'm team Grookey.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nintendo's marketing is so terrible. I'm looking forward to playing that game (even if I was hoping for something a bit more in the formula-breaking vein of Breath of the Wild) but the Nintendo Direct was so awkward, stilted, and poorly paced. Shouldn't the point of a big announcement be to get the viewer excited about your product? A crawling, monotone translation over footage of a dude in a dorky leather jacket in front of a bluescreen isn't exactly going to get me amped for your game. Especially when you show the same set of footage twice and don't actually reveal any of the details about what differentiates this game from previous entries.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In other video game news I am still pretty excited for MK11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv6Dskj2VC0

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
hosed up that Trump had Cohen jack him off in a car

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

We have a Pokemon that are: a haunted sword, a haunted set of keys, two haunted swords, an insect with a tank cannon on its back, a turtle with three cannon on its back, and a haunted sword and shield. Give me my haunted gun Pokemon already.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fun fact, Mugwump was the original pokemon

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Honestly a water-type squirtgun pokemon that evolves into a Super Soaker pokemon would be dope.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly a water-type squirtgun pokemon that evolves into a Super Soaker pokemon would be dope.

So Squirtle.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I mean, fair. But I was imagining a disembodied squirt gun without an animal attached, ala that key pokemon:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A set of keys and a pacifier.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel real bad for whoever has to keep coming up with new Pokemon. The above proves they are long passed the "desperately looking around the room for concepts that aren't yet Pokemon"

And even if you get it all together, there is a 99% cgance your Pokemon won't make much of an impact just like almost all Pokemon that are post gen 1 and not in a Smash game

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is this what happens when a franchise runs for too long?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My favourite new pokemon is Likpa.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

axelblaze posted:

I feel real bad for whoever has to keep coming up with new Pokemon. The above proves they are long passed the "desperately looking around the room for concepts that aren't yet Pokemon"

And even if you get it all together, there is a 99% cgance your Pokemon won't make much of an impact just like almost all Pokemon that are post gen 1 and not in a Smash game

but on the other hand, there are so many pokemon fans (and more new ones pretty much every time they put out a game) that probably every pokemon has someone out there who has it as their favorite. Obviously the big guys like Pikachu and Lucario and Mewtwo have a lot more big fans but somewhere out there is someone who just loving loves Lumineon

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

hosed up that Trump had Cohen jack him off in a car

The Trump administration is basically the car jackoff scene from Amarcord

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DC Murderverse posted:

but on the other hand, there are so many pokemon fans (and more new ones pretty much every time they put out a game) that probably every pokemon has someone out there who has it as their favorite. Obviously the big guys like Pikachu and Lucario and Mewtwo have a lot more big fans but somewhere out there is someone who just loving loves Lumineon

I’m a big fan of Trumpeon

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Power of Pecota posted:

The Trump administration is basically the car jackoff scene from Amarcord

I was thinking the one from The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean yeah but that's true of literally everything

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

axelblaze posted:

Imagine being a fly in the wall in those dev meetings.

“A Pokemon... that looks like an ice-cream cone?”
“Brilliant!”
“A sandcastle ghost.”
“Hmm, a bit pretentious, but I’ll allow it.”
“A fish... that, uh...”
“Dot, end sentence. Already marvelous.”

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Imagine being a fly in the wall in those dev meetings.

“A Pokemon... that looks like an ice-cream cone?”
“Brilliant!”
“A sandcastle ghost.”
“Hmm, a bit pretentious, but I’ll allow it.”
“A fish... that, uh...”
“Dot, end sentence. Already marvelous.”

They probably just hired Scar Magic Johnson Jr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

They probably just hired Scar Magic Johnson Jr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The Green Book writer really is a character straight out of the Sopranos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgJ4QQVlYlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWAaxlW94I

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

axelblaze posted:

Seel is a first-generation pokemon. They ran out of originality long before any more games were even made; it's better to just remember that every game is someone's first and accept that there will always be a lot of duds and redundancy anyways.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Seel is a first-generation pokemon. They ran out of originality long before any more games were even made; it's better to just remember that every game is someone's first and accept that there will always be a lot of duds and redundancy anyways.

I think there's always room for more interesting designs and pokemon. They didn't introduce stuff like a beaver pokemon until the 4th generation.

That Key pokemon is weird. And they did introduce alphabet pokemon in Silver/Gold.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My favourite new pokemon is Likpa.

Likpa balls?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DirkVanBryn/status/1100748200527519746

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

I think there's always room for more interesting designs and pokemon. They didn't introduce stuff like a beaver pokemon until the 4th generation.

That Key pokemon is weird. And they did introduce alphabet pokemon in Silver/Gold.

exCUSE me, his name is Bidoof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gen 1 had two different blobs as Pokemon and a ball with eyes so it's not like a set of keys with a face is a sign of them running out of ideas.