Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I am excited that this year I get to play a cool new pokemon game, a new animal crossing and a new luigi's mansion. plus that cool yoshi game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Your Computer posted:

speaking of chungus i miss first gen when pokemon were chunkier, i always preferred those designs to the sleeker modern ones

look at this beautiful specimen

Man that water color style shading with shadows and empty white spots was really rad, why'd they get rid of that in favor of generic anime cartoon shadows? I remember it sticking around until gen 2 and imo is a very big part of the flavor for the original games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How can you choose a starter before seeing how lovely their final form may be. The fire bunny for example, is going to be a giant muscle freak probably

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

gey muckle mowser posted:

they are releasing some more images of the starter's evolutions

That was quick

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How can you choose a starter before seeing how lovely their final form may be. The fire bunny for example, is going to be a giant muscle freak probably

Yes, I actually choose on final form. I am wondering what they will do with Grookey. Will he be a big grass ape?!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yes, I actually choose on final form. I am wondering what they will do with Grookey. Will he be a big grass ape?!

I am hoping he will become Grankyong

Which is like a grass cranky Kong

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gronkykong, where his final form has him playing for the Patriots and infuriating all the other pokemon.

I'll probably pick fire, like I have in every other single Pokemon game I've ever played

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

why don't they ever make the water starter a fish

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Pokémon pike and shotte next please

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

found a leaked image of his final form

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fitzy Fitz posted:

why don't they ever make the water starter a fish

Ever seen a Magikarp out of water? It ain't cute or marketable.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I still need to beat Let's Go before I can think about Sword or Shield but it looks nice so far. I usually go with the water starter and will probably stick to that here.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
calling it: swordog/shieldog is the new legendary

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

calling it: swordog/shieldog is the new legendary

:rip: The Starks:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

the legendary will be Smithy from super mario rpg

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hope there's a ghost dog based on the hound of Baskerville

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's gonna be a legendary Pokemon in a lake.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn't see the direct, is this Pokemon going to be a real game, unlike Let's Go (get our newborn baby his first videogame)?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RCarr posted:

I didn't see the direct, is this Pokemon going to be a real game, unlike Let's Go (get our newborn baby his first videogame)?

Yes it’s going back to all the bad things the regular pokemon games do instead of doing all the great things Let’s Go did.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

yes, just like they've been saying the entire time

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RCarr posted:

Yes, it's a legit Gen 8, although unfortunately it's going back to random encounters which was something Let's Go fixed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hope there's a ghost dog based on the hound of Baskerville

Hope there's a Ghost Dog based on Forest Whitaker

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

man nurse posted:

I hope the new Poke keeps the encounter system of Let's Go, meaning like, the pokes actually appear on the gameplay field and you can chose to engage them or run around them. That's a fantastic change imo.

I'm glad this garbage system did not come forward, and that they're scrapping the lovely "no wild battles, just catch-or-run" as well.

The sooner we can all forget LG:P/E existed the better.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes it’s going back to all the bad things the regular pokemon games do instead of doing all the great things Let’s Go did.

Oh no, now it will revert to the disastrous sales numbers of the previous Pokemon games. :ohdear:

Annath posted:

Amen, brotha. :yeah:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
"no random encounters" and "no wild battles" are not the same thing

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I still want a beginning of game option to turn down the starter pokemon, not be a pokemon trainer and just explore the world and then get a job doing pokemon hairstyles in the city or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Annath posted:

I'm glad this garbage system did not come forward, and that they're scrapping the lovely "no wild battles, just catch-or-run" as well.

Do you love zubats or something

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Andrast posted:

Do you love zubats or something

buh-buh-but repels!

e- real talk I think the best of both worlds would be to eliminate random encounters but keep the wild battles. I LOVED the party training mechanic in Let's Go and will be really sore if that's left out of Sword/Shield. I know there are things like EXP Share and other but I really enjoyed keeping a full team trained up without having to minmax encounters and other stupid bullshit (ps. if that's a normal mechanic in the last several games then I've just missed out, I've been out of Pkmn for several gens now)

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 27, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
watching the trailer again i do think it's pretty hilarious how they spend a couple of seconds of the trailer showing a random battle just as a sort of :siren: it's regular old pokemon :siren: to all the people who were disappointed in let's go

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Raserys posted:

"no random encounters" and "no wild battles" are not the same thing

[michael scott thank you gif]

Yeah right now I like the bunny the most but his evolution could be lame. That's what happened with Chespin and why I ultimately went with the frog instead.

The grass starter this time is bad from the beginning though so at least I just have to pick between two

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Smash good for single player in the end?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Re: zubats

1. They may not be in the Galar region
2. They could just take the random encounter tables not so obnoxious and less biased towards over particular Pokemon in a given region

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Re: zubats

1. They may not be in the Galar region
2. They could just take the random encounter tables not so obnoxious and less biased towards over particular Pokemon in a given region

1. They will be (or some equivalent I guess)
2. Pokemon on the map itself is still better because it lets you control the encounter rate as you see fit

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Andrast posted:

2. Pokemon on the map itself is still better because it lets you control the encounter rate as you see fit

Agreed.

It's one of those quality of life things that should be in all other games from now on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mulderman posted:

Agreed.

It's one of those quality of life things that should be in all other games from now on.

:yeah:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Sir5000/status/1100761812050501632

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

What about this. You could inject a repel into any Pokemon you yourself have and it would repel that specific Pokemon.

I agree I like seeing them in the wild though

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, it's mostly combat. There's words and items and stuff in the battle menu that I don't even know what they mean.

Such as what? It'd be weird to explain the whole battle system to you if it isn't warranted. And you might have to channel your lost childhood and resort to good old experimentation. The game does have a little tutorial after the first actual dungeon which tries to explain some of the less intuitive things. Maybe try asking in the Final Fantasy thread too. so you don't get lost in Pokemon chat.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Andrast posted:

It’s probably to keep the framerate up, while Game Freak could get away with lousy performance on the 3ds, it’s going to raise eyebrows if Pokemon runs worse on the Switch than Xenoblade Chronicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Smash good for single player in the end?

Yes it's got a crazy amount of content.

Only annoyance is world of light is probably too long and at least for me a lot of my favorites were backloaded.