Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
yeah wdg learned nothing from winrt.

"it's a new form factor (winrt=tablet, wcos=dual screen) so let's make it unable to run win32 apps"

the good news is that they'll all be fired in about 18 months once the market has completely ignored this poo poo and everyone laughs at microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dam it must suck rear end to be color blind

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

wdg: it'll be great the startup, shutdown and update will be soo much faster than win10!
wdg: and it won't run win32 apps
wdg: huh? it *has* to run win32 apps or no one will buy it?
wdg: hmm...
wdg: ok we figured it out, we'll just run the win32 apps in a win10 vm
wdg: so, uh, it turns out that the win10 vm, like, added a bit of time to the startup, shutdown, and update operations...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they will never give up on forcing everybody to use their app store

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mystes posted:

Since Windows RT and Windows 10 S were such a resounding success, Microsoft is working on yet another version of windows that only runs UWP applications: https://www.petri.com/microsofts-lite-os-starts-simple-with-plans-to-scale-up

(ok maybe it will eventually run desktop applications)

god they are desperately trying to compete with chromeos

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

you forgot the word trying

they will never stop trying (and failing) to force everybody to use their app store

My Linux Rig posted:

god they are desperately trying to compete with chromeos

and like winphone, they're trying to catch a ship that sailed years ago

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The_Franz posted:

and like winphone, they're trying to catch a ship that sailed years ago

wdg: no no you don't understand dual screen is a new form factor we're going to own the entire product category it'll be huge and we're totally not wasting hundreds of millions of dollars rewriting windows yet again so that it can't run windows apps honest

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

mystes posted:

Since Windows RT and Windows 10 S were such a resounding success, Microsoft is working on yet another version of windows that only runs UWP applications: https://www.petri.com/microsofts-lite-os-starts-simple-with-plans-to-scale-up

(ok maybe it will eventually run desktop applications)

how many loving times are they going to try this

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the little microsoft that could

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Fiedler posted:

wdg: no no you don't understand dual screen is a new form factor we're going to own the entire product category it'll be huge and we're totally not wasting hundreds of millions of dollars rewriting windows yet again so that it can't run windows apps honest

that reminds me of courier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

lol 10 whole years ago

now we have foldable screens and microsoft is still years behind

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
courier was onenote with a level of integration and abstraction that they simply have no way to implement irl. the fact that the hardware also didn't exist until now doesn't really help either

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 27, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if they could actually make anything in courier work they've had at least five years to do it on the surface pro, which is a "high powered" x86 platform that they own top to bottom

they can't. creating another hardware platform isn't going to fix that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. microsoft on the gaming front: uh, actually we can't release new windows builds because punkbuster will shithouse your system

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haha

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m late to the smartboard talk but they were widely used when I was in community college. instructors would write everything on there, scroll instead of erasing, and then make it available as class notes on the website afterwards.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

i say gently caress 'em, blacklist their driver and ship the bits.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

they were also in common use in my highschool in rural latvia

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hmm, maybe in hindsight it wasn't a good idea to let people hook into the os in all kinds of horrible ways

see also: why windows file i/o will forever be dogshit slow

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

hmm, maybe in hindsight it wasn't a good idea to let people hook into the os in all kinds of horrible ways

should nuke it and start from scratch.

do it like with the macOS changeover from POWER, give people a couple of versions to change from win32 to that other thing and then be done

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

do it like with the macOS changeover from POWER, give people a couple of versions to change from win32 to that other thing and then be done

lol are you wdg?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

how many loving times are they going to try this

they will never stop

The_Franz posted:

its too bad they loving monopolists guilty of violating anti-trust laws or they could just enforce WHQL signatures without shitbags like McAfee screaming bloody murder

cue shaggar shaggaring about the EU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

antitrust enforcement in the desktop os space is so 90s

these days all the cool lawyers are going after google, facebook, and amazon

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

they've been trying to drop win32 in some of their endeavors and failed every time because, shockingly, nobody wants a windows that doesn't run existing windows software

a lot of big companies with a lot of money and lawyers would have an absolute poo poo fit if ms discontinued legacy windows because their whole existence is predicated on selling garbage utility software for it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if i cant use PROGMAN.EXE whats the point of windows?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pram posted:

if i cant use PROGMAN.EXE whats the point of windows?

Now that there's a Store version of WINFILE.EXE, Microsoft really need to get on that.

And yes, part of why people use Windows because they like the flexibility. I don't want my laptop or desktop to be some locked-down Ios-type experience.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

they've been trying to drop win32 in some of their endeavors and failed every time because, shockingly, nobody wants a windows that doesn't run existing windows software

a lot of big companies with a lot of money and lawyers would have an absolute poo poo fit if ms discontinued legacy windows because their whole existence is predicated on selling garbage utility software for it

were due for a windows Steve Jobs who hates nerds, designers and everyone corporate with a passion

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

were due for a windows Steve Jobs who hates nerds, designers and everyone corporate with a passion

so, uh, stevesi?

even stevesi is facepalming at this Windows Lite stupidity

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

i say gently caress 'em, blacklist their driver and ship the bits.

yeah the solution here is to dumpster the 3rd party poo poo that's breaking the os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

osx had like 2 apps that needed to be changed so it wasn't a big deal

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Boiled Water posted:

but they did do that, we’re on Windows 10 and people still don’t like uwp

Shaggar posted:

osx had like 2 apps that needed to be changed so it wasn't a big deal

it must be nice not having a lot of tech debt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think the biggest difference was the classic > os x transition added a ton of capabilities whereas uwp seems to be a subset of what win32 could do. also ms was trying to transition to a cleaner tech platform and make everything touch friendly at the same time which developers hate. a ton of early os x software was either next ports with next-like ui [eg omni software] or classic ports with classic-like ui

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

has there ever been a successful non-general-purpose consumer platform from microsoft

like, the xbox 360 maybe-to-probably? that's it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

has there ever been a successful non-general-purpose consumer platform from microsoft

zune?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

pseudorandom name posted:

it's more likely they wanna force everybody to not use win32 because it's full of technical debt that sucks on portable devices, but uh guess what that's the only reason to use windows

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

someone is conveniently forgetting the spot smart watches https://wear.guide/2004-microsoft-spot-watch-smartwatch/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Windows phone was pretty good when it came out, but it really should have been a frontend for Android instead.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows Phone was never good.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Private Speech posted:

Windows phone was pretty good when it came out

lmao

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

but what will they do? not use windows all of a sudden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
if microsoft makes windows unusable for them, then presumably yes