Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

yes, however, are there any basketball scenes in those comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nightmare Asylum sucks. Maybe it's better in comic form but the novel blows.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

‘Alien’ 4K release details, it hits US retail on 4/23.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hey, quick question since I'm pretty sure you'll know the answer to this. Do you remember the name of one of the original EU books that had an adaptation into a book with some illustrated pages? The story was set on a space station that aliens were loose on and the one thing I remember is one character being in some kind of armored suit and going berserk, causing chaos as he rampaged through the station loving everything up (falling through floors and destroying everything because he was crazy and the station was falling apart). It was definitely one of the early books, I just can't remember the name and when it was released with illustrations there was some cool artwork in there if I remember correctly.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sounds like "Aliens: Frenzy"

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Aliens:_Frenzy

e: Also the novelization of the comic series was Alien: Berserker (the Berserker was the big suit of power armor, controlled by a death-row convict if I recall correctly)

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 28, 2019

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks! I found it via what you linked and it's "Aliens: Tribes" that I was thinking of :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Got around to reading 'The Cold Forge'.

Any other novels worth a read?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is apparently the #Watch aspect of the #ReadPlayWatch thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vz8ZVoXTyg

It looks interesting, I guess?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Got around to reading 'The Cold Forge'.

Any other novels worth a read?

Was it good? I'm looking for something stupid to read and never dipped into Alien EU before.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Was it good? I'm looking for something stupid to read and never dipped into Alien EU before.

It was fantastic, it was very well written. Don't expect it to break any molds though. In stark contrast to the last few books I read, The Rage Trilogy which came across as high schooler fan fiction. I was rolling my eyes in real life the fifteenth time I read the word 'chitinous'

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slutitution posted:

This is apparently the #Watch aspect of the #ReadPlayWatch thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vz8ZVoXTyg

It looks interesting, I guess?

I’ll just play the game again

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll just play the game again

Took the post right out of my mouth. Isolation is amazing but this just looks like the cutscenes and play through of the game? I don't mean that in a technical way I mean it just literally looks like the game exactly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s literally the cut scenes with some added bits. That’s what the press releases said.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Well going in I wasn't expecting a Tolstoy level of writing but it was a fun diversion that I finished in a couple days so it kept my attention.

935 posted:

It was fantastic, it was very well written. Don't expect it to break any molds though. In stark contrast to the last few books I read, The Rage Trilogy which came across as high schooler fan fiction. I was rolling my eyes in real life the fifteenth time I read the word 'chitinous'

The main problem I had with it Yeah, I know, the director is the galaxy's biggest prick. Don't need to remind me every other page.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

Took the post right out of my mouth. Isolation is amazing but this just looks like the cutscenes and play through of the game? I don't mean that in a technical way I mean it just literally looks like the game exactly.

Basically? A lot of what was shown was literally "from a different angle" like said in the trailer, but like... lol, what's the point? For people that didn't play it I guess?

I don't get what they're trying to do, just find new ways to rehash the same engine and art from the game in as many ways as they can without just doing a proper sequel? I wonder if their business relations with CA were bad or something and neither want to work with each other again. All of that talent at CA... and it's being wasted on dumb tactic games.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

To not be cynical, maybe it was to try and boost up the games “lore” so that a sequel could be a thing that happens and ends up being more successful now that people are interested?

But it is fox so they’re probably just lazy as hell

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It's kind of amazing how much time and money has been wasted on literally anything but a full-fledged Isolation sequel, the one thing that would actually be of any legitimate interest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I could be to build up the lore and excitement for another game, but I find it weird that they'd think that anyone that wants a sequel would be interested in any of this.

I think they should have gone, "Hey, A:I 2 is in the works, but we're gonna give you some other poo poo in the mean time while you wait!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

I could be to build up the lore and excitement for another game, but I find it weird that they'd think that anyone that wants a sequel would be interested in any of this.

I think they should have gone, "Hey, A:I 2 is in the works, but we're gonna give you some other poo poo in the mean time while you wait!"

I'm interested in it. :colbert:

They've been leveraging Amanda Ripley really hard lately, though. Between this new digital series and the Blackout mobile game, we're getting two comic series featuring her (one of which is running right now) and an expanded novelization of 'Alien Isolation'.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am excited for a game where we live out Amanda Ripley's golden years in 22nd century Little Chute, Wisconsin.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure the holdup on Isolation 2 is Creative Assembly. Isolation having weird tech for the AI means you can't really just hand it to another studio and expect the same results, and CA's been booked solid working on Total War poo poo for a while.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm surprised they haven't dipped into Total War: Colonial Marines.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I swear there was a cancelled Alien RTS...?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I swear there was a cancelled Alien RTS...?

Semi-RTS, it was being developed by Obsidian.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

An RTS featuring a race of powerful, fecund hive building aliens, an honor-bound elder race with advanced tech and energy weapons, and humans with space marines as the backbone of their forces would really be something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, apparently there was one back in the PS2 era, AvP: Extinction. However, the player wouldn’t build anything, it was all unit management and combat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The alien mode was fun. But I don’t like RTS stuff so even with the IP, it didn’t interest me much. But of course I bought it because it had aliens and predators in it and I was 12.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm surprised they haven't dipped into Total War: Colonial Marines.

Dynasty Warriors Colonial Marines would own.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

AVP Beach Volleyball

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

papers, please, but you're working the space customs desk at icc quarantine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Surgeon Simulator: Alien Edition. Can you safely extract the Alien embryo before it violently bursts out on its own?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AvP: Racing

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They Mostly Come at Fortnite.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

banned from Starbucks posted:

They Mostly Come at Fortnite: Mostly

Where's my VR dating sim?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does anyone have the pic of the galaxy brain ranking of the Alien movies that had Aliens near the bottom and Prometheus at the top? I want to send it to a friend.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Does anyone have the pic of the galaxy brain ranking of the Alien movies that had Aliens near the bottom and Prometheus at the top? I want to send it to a friend.

I made that, I'm glad it's still useful to people. :hfive:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlbear Camus posted:

An RTS featuring a race of powerful, fecund hive building aliens, an honor-bound elder race with advanced tech and energy weapons, and humans with space marines as the backbone of their forces would really be something.

Starcraft is really more a toned-down Warhammer 40K than AvP.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neo Rasa posted:

I made that, I'm glad it's still useful to people. :hfive:

I remember hearing Mike and Jay say they enjoyed Alien 3's style more than Aliens (while maintaining Aliens is still a better film) on a commentary track a few years back. Quentin Tarantino said this too.

I don't think any of the 6 Alien films are "bad" except for the Alien 3 theatrical. I watched the original 4 on my 4k HDR tv for the first time recently, so that might have something to do with it. It is quite amazing how Alien 3 and Resurrection are better than most major Hollywood releases lately though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Slutitution posted:

I don't think any of the 6 Alien films are "bad" except for the Alien 3 theatrical. I watched the original 4 on my 4k HDR tv for the first time recently, so that might have something to do with it. It is quite amazing how Alien 3 and Resurrection are better than most major Hollywood releases lately though.

They've both aged really well in that respect, though I still think the theatrical Alien 3 and both versions of Resurrection are pretty bad. Though Alien 3 Assembly cut is loving awesome. But much like Alien and Aliens, Alien 3 was EXTREMELY influential aesthetically and the way it's shot, it's very much an ur-90s movie, even the score. Even Elliot Goldenthall's trilling horns and gong stuff, he was still doing that in super mainstream stuff like Batman Forever/and Robin.

But when you compare the two cuts, the theatrical one feels like a generic mutant slasher in a warehouse Alien ripoff kind of movie of which there were so many. But the expanded one really lets everything breathe a bit more and you can really take in how much better it is on every level than those flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’ve mentioned it before, but I appreciate how the undercurrent of 3 is Ripley herself effectively being alienized by both the loss of her comrades, and by her being the only female on the planet. Fincher even goes so far to give her a xeno-esque silhouette by shaving her head, which is :kiss: