Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Die lit's beats are so loving good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
Carti a spitter.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I tried to like die lit but his voice is just so whiny and terrible. Good beats tho.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Just discovered this new group and they just put out their self titled album, "The Opioid Era". If you like classic boom-bap street rap with a modern feel, you will really enjoy this project. I would compare them to the artists at Griselda if I had to make a modern comparison. They really know how to pick an incredible selection of beats and my favorite tracks are Tales, Morning Rush, Needle Marks, and Foundation (feat. Benny the Butcher).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR20bbueXd8&t=405s

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbhxSeaiMiU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
too much sauce, navigation failure

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuaQo9ygHmL/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=155kaptih8cct

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Cole Bennett makes bad music videos. I'm pulling for a Hype Williams video for a Ski track, I think it'd suit him nicely. Song rules regardless. Ski Mask the Slump God forever.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So Anderson .Paak has announced a new album already releasing in April

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ski Mask is legit one of my top rappers right now.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Not saying Cardi B is trash but a debut album full of ghost-written tunes or following the same trap formulas shouldn't be up for best album. At least Kanye and the like wrote their own stuff until they got big. I guess it's because Cardi was already in the industry due to her connections.

Be Careful being up for an award specifically is annoying.

And if you don't think it's sad for Jay Z and Beyonce to use a Migos reference track I'm not sure what to say. The guy is supposedly a hip hop classic and he just paid Migos to put his name on their song. I guess majority of Drake stuff is like that too.

Also the reference track is better than what we ended up with.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ornithology posted:

Not saying Cardi B is trash but a debut album full of ghost-written tunes or following the same trap formulas shouldn't be up for best album. At least Kanye and the like wrote their own stuff until they got big. I guess it's because Cardi was already in the industry due to her connections.

And if you don't think it's sad for Jay Z and Beyonce to use a Migos reference track I'm not sure what to say. The guy is supposedly a hip hop classic and he just paid Migos to put his name on their song. I guess majority of Drake stuff is like that too.

can you please just shut the gently caress up already goddamn

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Dexo posted:

All of Nicki's poo poo was ghostwritten too. Safaree, wrote a ton of her early poo poo, and you can tell when they split how hard and fast her music fell off...

Is this defo true? Only asking because I remember a Danny Brown interview where he was saying in the early days, Nicki and him used to spar in the studio

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Ornithology posted:

It's rare that a post could be this wrong, but you've strived to achieve my g

Insanely Sikh posted:

Is this defo true? Only asking because I remember a Danny Brown interview where he was saying in the early days, Nicki and him used to spar in the studio

Basically yes, Nicki could certainly rap (just look at the old smack dvd's) but her Minaj career has been full of ghostwriters including Safaree, Wayne and Meek. Look at the difference in her music now, it's not nearly as good and her bars have fallen off.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 28, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Insanely Sikh posted:

I mean, she would still need to go to the studio to record

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MrSargent posted:

Just discovered this new group and they just put out their self titled album, "The Opioid Era". If you like classic boom-bap street rap with a modern feel, you will really enjoy this project. I would compare them to the artists at Griselda if I had to make a modern comparison. They really know how to pick an incredible selection of beats and my favorite tracks are Tales, Morning Rush, Needle Marks, and Foundation (feat. Benny the Butcher).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR20bbueXd8&t=405s

Sorry to interrupt the Cardi discussion, but I know there are at least a few of you that would dig this album and I will not rest until someone has checked it out and given me the validation I so desperately crave.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9o_ifDQWLE

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

MrSargent posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Cardi discussion, but I know there are at least a few of you that would dig this album and I will not rest until someone has checked it out and given me the validation I so desperately crave.

lmao

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

imagine i quoted that post about cardi b b-ing quiet again

ski mask is awesome

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vargatron posted:

Ski Mask is legit one of my top rappers right now.

Yeah he's great.

Insanely Sikh posted:

There was some rumors that came out when she started getting less popular or w/e that Safaree (and I think Lil Wayne) ghost wrote a bunch of her poo poo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MrSargent posted:

Just checked it out a little and it’s the best thing on this page at least. I know a couple people I’m sending links to now if that helps

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Snowy posted:

Just checked it out a little and it’s the best thing on this page at least. I know a couple people I’m sending links to now if that helps

Haha, thanks dude, glad you enjoyed it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Cardi B legit sucks though

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

She literally talked about sitting there and having to do multiple takes for every single verse of every single song because she had trouble reading the lyrics that were written for her lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

She literally talked about sitting there and having to do multiple takes for every single verse of every single song because she had trouble reading the lyrics that were written for her lol

Yeah but what does the final product sound like

It’s good

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah but what does the final product sound like

It’s good

Nah but offset went hard on his new album

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
zaytoven's tiny desk concert https://www.npr.org/2019/02/26/698086054/zaytoven-tiny-desk-concert

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Seems weird that stating an opinion results in a bunch of gently caress off, shut up without any explanation.

Enjoy your ghost written tunes by a pop icon and call her a great rapper if you want, but she isn't. How can best song nominee be for someone who didn't make the beat, lyrics, and did a lovely performance? it's a joke and only a popularity contest. I don't see how you guys can criticise Drake constantly but be Cardi B fans...

edit: Awesome that Zaytoven had a great performance even though Future didn't show up at the last minute, what a douche. I think I mentioned earlier that these trap rappers don't care about doing proper performances or even showing up half the time and got a similar "gently caress off" response without explanation, interesting that it turns out exactly how I mentioned earlier.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 1, 2019

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Ornithology posted:

Seems weird that stating an opinion results in a bunch of gently caress off, shut up without any explanation. I guess ill just use reddit instead, cya guys.

Enjoy your ghost written tunes by a pop icon and call her a great rapper if you want, but she isn't.

edit: Awesome that Zaytoven had a great performance even though Future didn't show up at the last minute, what a douche. I think I mentioned earlier that these trap rappers don't care about doing proper performances or even showing up half the time and got a similar "gently caress off" response without explanation, interesting that it turns out exactly how I mentioned earlier.

Peace, but before you bounce forever be clear that it's not an opinion if it can be legit disproven. Maybe next time don't use one of the most famous artists that used ghostwriters to call out Cardi B for having ghostwriters.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Yuzenn posted:

Peace, but before you bounce forever be clear that it's not an opinion if it can be legit disproven. Maybe next time don't use one of the most famous artists that used ghostwriters to call out Cardi B for having ghostwriters.

OK, I said I liked Nicki's flow better than Cardi's, maybe she has ghost writers too. Regardless Cardi's trash and I haven't seen any explanation otherwise.

"Cardi B's voice and flow is nowhere near as good as Nicki Minaj, and both have annoying public personalities; also Cardi doesn't write her own songs... don't really see why she's getting so much attention other than novelty. I enjoy this song with Nicki (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAnH6PLimo) and Chun Li is pretty catchy as long as you ignore some dumb lyrics, which I do anyway for a lot of that subgenre of rap"

Who ghost-wrote or made reference track for Chun Li, my example? From checking credits here's what I see:

Songwriter(s)
Onika Maraj (Nicki Minaj)
Producer(s)
J. Reid Nicki Minaj (co.)

My other example:
"Anybody" (featuring Nicki Minaj)
Writers: Jeffery Williams, Rex KudoR, yan Vojtesak, Onika Maraj (Nicki Minaj)

Let's compare to "Be Careful" the nominated song for Cardi B:

Songwriter(s)
Belcalis Almanzar
Matthew Samuels
Anderson Hernandez
Adam Feeney
Jordan Thorpe
Marilyn Bergman
Alan Bergman
Robert Diggs
Lauryn Hill
Clifford Smith
Lamont Hawkins
Dennis Coles
Gary Grice
Jason Hunter
Russell Jones
Corey Woods
Marvin Hamlisch

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 1, 2019

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

okrrrrrrrrrrr counterpoint: cardi b loving owns how about them apples

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Ornithology posted:

Seems weird that stating an opinion results in a bunch of gently caress off, shut up without any explanation.

Enjoy your ghost written tunes by a pop icon and call her a great rapper if you want, but she isn't. How can best song nominee be for someone who didn't make the beat, lyrics, and did a lovely performance? it's a joke and only a popularity contest. I don't see how you guys can criticise Drake constantly but be Cardi B fans...

dude you don't have to keep using some coded """trap rappers""" just call them niggers like you want and get it over with. if it makes you feel better attach a clip of that chris rock bit so people know you don't hate all black people.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

alansmithee posted:

dude you don't have to keep using some coded """trap rappers""" just call them niggers like you want and get it over with.

Again, I don't get the implication. There's a ton of tiny desk with rappers who do show up. With the trap genre, half the time they don't show up to their performances. Gucci showed up but had a backing track playing his vocals behind him because he couldn't be bothered to rap every line himself.

I am a fan of Future, it would be nice if he followed through on the performance that he agreed to do. I also praised Zaytoven who is also black, so I'm clearly not generalising based on race.

Do you not think it's a problem that these guys don't give a poo poo about showing up to their shows?

Another video showing a great black artist in the trap genre who I love, indicating that he does not give a poo poo about professionalism whatsoever - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 1, 2019

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

It's not "these guys" who don't show up for their shows, that's something tons of musicians across all genres do you idiot.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Cool, I'm not aware of any other tiny desk performances where the main artist didn't show up but maybe I'm mistaken.

It's not that surprising that work ethic goes down when using hard drugs and dealing with addiction are a main focus for a majority of rappers in the sub-genre, not to mention the legal issues.

I wasn't trying to make comparisons with other genres, just trap vs other kinds of rap, like conscious rappers.

And I like and enjoy black people and their music, hopefully I'm not accidentally racist for being upset when my favourite artists have such a high rate of inadequacy when it comes to live performances.

I guess I'll have to dig up some statistics to prove my point if you continue to think that I am against all black people. Not going to bother for now.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 1, 2019

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
how about instead you stop posting in the rap thread to try and prove how not racist you are and instead prove it by shutting up because jesus christ every time you post it turns into a pointless derail

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ornithology posted:

I guess I'll have to dig up some statistics to prove my point if you continue to think that I am against all black people. Not going to bother for now.

lol. don't do this. also in a couple of weeks when the memory of this doesn't raise your blood pressure, maybe consider seriously analysing your views on race and class. you seem to actually care about your self-perception as 'not a racist' so if you want to live your life without having to defend that self-perception every time something falls out of your mouth / keyboard around people who aren't exclusively middle class and white you've probably got some introspection to do.

lol again at the statistics thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

cardi b sucks mainly but gets good music pushed through her like every other pop artist, future fell off hard and sucks now

there, now you can leave instead of making this thread about you