Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

mllaneza posted:

She's a good candidate for being a fan of The Orville. Captain Mercer is certainly no Picard, but it hits all the TNG notes.

We have been watching it, though Hulu's ads are starting to drive her nuts because their algorithm thinks a non smoking couple need to see ads for palliative medicines for stage 4 lung cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Old Boot posted:

I'm trying to think of how I managed this before. Mostly, I just brute-forced it, or made it quid-pro-quo, like-- okay, so you have this show you like that I've been lukewarm on. I have this show I like that you're lukewarm on. We'll have a night where I watch a couple episodes of your thing, and the night after that, you watch a couple of mine. How does that sound?

Turns out I've kinda liked the things I thought I'd hate, and usually it gets overshadowed by B5 anyway, since the arc is pretty absorbing by the midpoint of S2. The season finale of S1 is the wake-up call that some poo poo's going on, but the real 'hook' for people who are wishy-washy definitely comes in later (such was the case with me, actually). That first 1 1/2 seasons are definitely a slog for the people who are resistant, though.

Edit: Note that it helps if it's a series or whatever that your spouse/friend is actually excited about. My only rule about it was 'no anime.'

This worked for me; both Farscape and B5 took her a while to warm up to, but she ended up loving them both - B5 so much that at the end she wanted an immediate rewatch.

And so far I've gotten a couple of good shows (Chuck and Person of Interest) I hadn't seen yet too.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

This worked for me; both Farscape and B5 took her a while to warm up to, but she ended up loving them both - B5 so much that at the end she wanted an immediate rewatch.

And so far I've gotten a couple of good shows (Chuck and Person of Interest) I hadn't seen yet too.

Person of Interest is great, especially once you get past the first season and they start to ditch the interchangeable “problem of the week” episodes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thinking of streaming an ep and commenting on it with a friend, which one do you reckon? I've seen the whole show, she has seen bits.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Passing Through Gethsemane

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.
Acts of Sacrifice :v:

For a real answer, I think Fall of Night or Severed Dreams both have enough going on to be interesting on their own even without the full context of what led up to them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So watching Signs and Portents again, and wondering Why did Morden/the Shadows decide to help the Centauri? Had they decided before they sent in Morden? Did the answers to his question lead them to pick the Centauri? Wouldn't helping the Narn potentially cause just as much chaos? Did Morden ever ask the humans what they wanted?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FISHMANPET posted:

So watching Signs and Portents again, and wondering Why did Morden/the Shadows decide to help the Centauri? Had they decided before they sent in Morden? Did the answers to his question lead them to pick the Centauri? Wouldn't helping the Narn potentially cause just as much chaos? Did Morden ever ask the humans what they wanted?

The Narn and Centauri were similar, yes. I don't think the explanation is directly given in the show, but the evidence is there. G'kar's answer ended with the destruction of the Centauri, that was all he wanted. Meanwhile, Londo, had an answer that was more ambitious than just destroying his old enemy - he wanted the Republic to return to its rightful place. Kosh stopped Morden before he could ask the humans. "Leave this place, they are not for you."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FISHMANPET posted:

They chose the Centauri because Londo was a VERY easy mark as an old man prattling about "the good old days", and G'Kar is not a viable target because the Narn just tossed off one oppressor and would almost certainly not fall in line with another (literally) from the shadows. All it took was a subtle nudge (which the Shadows wrote the book on) to push the entire galactic political climate into a favourable upheaval. If other fronts had taken the bait, it would've just made even more general chaos and fingerpointing, which would've still benefited the Shadows.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's a just punishment that TKO follows after Signs and Portents but honestly I don't hate it?

And yeah I think maybe the Narn are played to be a warrior race in the begging so maybe you're supposed to think they'd try and take over the galaxy with shadow help but in reality they would just want what was once theirs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Passing Through Gethsemane

An excellent episode.

By Any Means Necessary has a good, self-contained story. A Race Through Dark Places or Mind War because Bester episodes always have something to love.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

FISHMANPET posted:

Morgen didn’t ask the humans because they were already in bed with Earthdome. Or at least Clark and his faction.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They chose the Centauri because Londo was a VERY easy mark as an old man prattling about "the good old days", and G'Kar is not a viable target because the Narn just tossed off one oppressor and would almost certainly not fall in line with another (literally) from the shadows. All it took was a subtle nudge (which the Shadows wrote the book on) to push the entire galactic political climate into a favourable upheaval. If other fronts had taken the bait, it would've just made even more general chaos and fingerpointing, which would've still benefited the Shadows.

More to the point, the Centauri "wish" was more ambitious. The Narn just wanted revenge. You can see G'Kar's confusion when Morden asks him what comes after that. The Centauri wanted an empire back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

More to the point, the Centauri "wish" was more ambitious. The Narn just wanted revenge. You can see G'Kar's confusion when Morden asks him what comes after that. The Centauri wanted an empire back.

G'Kar's confusion is also a dealbreaker for the Shadows in of itself. They can't actually impose a goal by their own shared rules with the Vorlons, they can only "assist" and influence others. They'd have no way to keep the Narn leashed indefinitely, and if they torched Centauri Prime for G'Kar the moment the planet was a cinder they have no further influence over him. They can, and did, spin Londo along indefinitely because his goal was so grand and intricate that they could shuffle pieces on the board through him for a very long time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Signs and Portents: Some valid points have been made, but there's a simpler reason why the Shadows do as they do. Their ethos is growth through destruction, and that's exactly what Londo wants. But if G'Kar had wanted to build the Greater Narn Regime over the top of the Empire then the Shadows would still probably not have chosen him over Londo because G'Quan primed the Narn to distrust the Shadows. Londo sees the Shadows only as a source of power, but to G'Kar they're literally the devil.

Thinking about this, it's just brilliant how well the Narn are fleshed out. You start out thinking they're faux-Klingons, but the more you learn the more you understand exactly why they're the way they are. They're much more than "barbarian warriors in space".

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jedit posted:

Signs and Portents: Some valid points have been made, but there's a simpler reason why the Shadows do as they do. Their ethos is growth through destruction, and that's exactly what Londo wants. But if G'Kar had wanted to build the Greater Narn Regime over the top of the Empire then the Shadows would still probably not have chosen him over Londo because G'Quan primed the Narn to distrust the Shadows. Londo sees the Shadows only as a source of power, but to G'Kar they're literally the devil.

Thinking about this, it's just brilliant how well the Narn are fleshed out. You start out thinking they're faux-Klingons, but the more you learn the more you understand exactly why they're the way they are. They're much more than "barbarian warriors in space".

Hell, they aren't really a "warrior race" at all, they're a race so scarred by their history they're practically all PTSD-crippled veterans. Not so much "war is a glorious virtue" as "war is the only way we can survive in this universe".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I feel like I haven't watched Mind War as much as a lot of the other episodes I have, even though it is pretty momentous when you think about it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
On my first run through where my wife would catch a couple of episodes she saw G'kar being angry about something and was like "those are like the Klingons right?" but really they're much more like the Bajorans if you really think about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh absolutely, gkar is most like kira

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like they say somewhere that the Narn formed a mighty empire after coming out from their colonial domination. I mean they're on the B5 security council, not the league of unaligned worlds. They got rolled by the Centauri, but only because the Shadows could wipe out worlds for them.

And even after G'kar has his revelation and becomes more of a man of peace, the few other Narn we see are still pretty aggressive. They just have a lot of extra dimension in addition to the warrior race archetype.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like they say somewhere that the Narn formed a mighty empire after coming out from their colonial domination. I mean they're on the B5 security council, not the league of unaligned worlds. They got rolled by the Centauri, but only because the Shadows could wipe out worlds for them.

And even after G'kar has his revelation and becomes more of a man of peace, the few other Narn we see are still pretty aggressive. They just have a lot of extra dimension in addition to the warrior race archetype.

Wasn't part of it that they had a lot of liberated Centauri ships and weapons on their hands as they kicked them out the door that gave them a kickstart into galactic colonization.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
One of the things B5 touches upon on several occasions is that different races have significantly different drives for doing things at different speeds. The humans are called out for being super-rapid expansionists at some point, I think.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't part of it that they had a lot of liberated Centauri ships and weapons on their hands as they kicked them out the door that gave them a kickstart into galactic colonization.

Yep. It's why they're so happy to sell weapons to the humans during the Minbari War -- if the Minbari figure it out, they'll find Centauri weapons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Rewatching Signs and Portents now, after watching The War Prayer, and when Delenn has that moment with Morden where that triangle on her forehead starts glowing, it reminds me of when the Home Front people branded her friend in the former. I wonder if you're supposed to think of the Vorlons as having branded the Minbari. Also, Morden went to great trouble to see G'Kar and ask him what he wants, it's clear that it's the scope of the response which makes him decide against attempting to pull the Narns in.

Edit:

The vision of an exploding B5 that Lady Ladira shows Sinclair... that's the one at the end of Sleeping in Light, when B5 is scuttled, right?

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 3, 2019

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Rewatching Signs and Portents now, after watching The War Prayer, and when Delenn has that moment with Morden where that triangle on her forehead starts glowing, it reminds me of when the Home Front people branded her friend in the former. I wonder if you're supposed to think of the Vorlons as having branded the Minbari. Also, Morden went to great trouble to see G'Kar and ask him what he wants, it's clear that it's the scope of the response which makes him decide against attempting to pull the Narns in.

Edit:

The vision of an exploding B5 that Lady Ladira shows Sinclair... that's the one at the end of Sleeping in Light, when B5 is scuttled, right?

I think it's supposed to be an alternate future, maybe one where Sheridan didn't detonate the nuke in Z'ha'dum. Although it could harken to the original treatment of the show where it's supposed to end with B5 getting destroyed and the whole Babylon Prime sequel show.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

I think it's supposed to be an alternate future, maybe one where Sheridan didn't detonate the nuke in Z'ha'dum. Although it could harken to the original treatment of the show where it's supposed to end with B5 getting destroyed and the whole Babylon Prime sequel show.

Bingo. But it was also repurposed into the alternate future (I think the footage is reused during War Without End) and the ending of Sleeping in Light is reminiscent of it.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

hope and vaseline posted:

That sequel show was an insane idea. What network was ever going to try out a series planned to end on a cliffhanger and depend on a spinoff to resolve the story of the main characters?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just chillin

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Did Jerry Doyle ever talk about how his personal politics compared to those of Garibaldi?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

evobatman posted:

Did Jerry Doyle ever talk about how his personal politics compared to those of Garibaldi?

JMS has basically said they're one and the same.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

epenthesis posted:

That sequel show was an insane idea. What network was ever going to try out a series planned to end on a cliffhanger and depend on a spinoff to resolve the story of the main characters?

I don't even understand what the point of making it a 'sequel' was supposed to be. Was it literally just "We can't call it Babylon 5 after we blow up the station, so we'd have to make it a new show rather than just B5, season six"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Salami posted:

I don't even understand what the point of making it a 'sequel' was supposed to be. Was it literally just "We can't call it Babylon 5 after we blow up the station, so we'd have to make it a new show rather than just B5, season six"?

We saw how well that worked with Crusade.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Angry Salami posted:

I think it was supposed to be a ‘it’s hit the fan now, kiddies, stay tuned next series to see how it turns out!”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evobatman posted:

Jerry Doyle was playing Jerry Doyle on the entire show, they just called him “Garibaldi” while the cameras were running.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maybe season 4 Garibaldi was the real Jerry Doyle...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

evobatman posted:

Jerry Doyle ran for Congress as a Republican at one point and had his own semi popular crazy right wing AM talk radio show for years after B5 was over.

Garibaldi's line about having electric bleachers instead of electric chairs is a direct Doyle quote from a lunchtime conversation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doyle also died from alcoholism.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Timby posted:

Doyle also died from alcoholism.

I think Garabaldi's alcoholism came from Doyle. I think during Season 5, it was Doyle who suggested that Garabaldi should end up drinking again and it should end up really affecting things (the bit where he's drunkenly passed out and war breaks out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just finished watching the S1 finale, Chrysalis, and I'm still struck by the drama of Santiago's assassination. I think I only watched this later in reruns, but this would have originally appeared a year before Rabin was assassinated, probably closer by the time it was broadcast in Israel.