Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So playing this game on and off I'm still fairly new, though even with my lame party I can cheese stuff up to difficulty 140ish with Riku (as long as I can use my physical party.) I have a few questions though:

- What white mage pairs really good with physical teams? Right now I'm using Yuna since I have her BSB but she seems more geared towards magic support. Healing soul breaks in general are a weak point for me at the moment, though I have some stuff for Arc, Selphie, and Larsa.

- I kind of want to go All In on Squall after getting his new USB from the KH banner. Anything in particular I should be looking to grab for him?

- Ditto above but for Ramza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blockhouse posted:

- What white mage pairs really good with physical teams? Right now I'm using Yuna since I have her BSB but she seems more geared towards magic support. Healing soul breaks in general are a weak point for me at the moment, though I have some stuff for Arc, Selphie, and Larsa.

Whoever you have stuff for, really. As a beginner you're gonna be leaning on BSBs for throughput while you hone good skills (I still do so, though I'm not pushing the current bleeding edge, healer BSBs are easy to keep leaning on). If you have an actual choice it's nice to have one of them with an insta-cast heal CMD1, but you use what you've got.

quote:

- I kind of want to go All In on Squall after getting his new USB from the KH banner. Anything in particular I should be looking to grab for him?
His BSB2 (Steely Blade) is quite strong combined with the chance to doublecast from a dive. It'll build Double Junction as well, though using multiple SBs can be tricky without an imperil (weakness-hitting attacks build more gauge) or entruster. Other than that he's mostly self-sufficient. His LMRs to start with en-fire or en-ice might be handy, but not critical.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh hey that's handy because I also have Steely Blade.

I've started using Ramza as an Entruster and the results are pretty spectacular so far.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The top-tier healers are Elarra and Aerith. Failing that, having their ability cast instantly is probably the big thing you're looking for in a healer soul break.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Qwertycoatl posted:

The top-tier healers are Elarra and Aerith. Failing that, having their ability cast instantly is probably the big thing you're looking for in a healer soul break.

Is there anyone besides Lenna whose healer USB isn't instant?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blockhouse posted:

If you have his BSB2 (Battle Cry) or CSB (Flutegrass Memories), the next things you should be aiming for are his USB1 (History's Truth) and his LMR1 (which I can't remember the name of, but it's on the Brigandine and gives him just an instant instant cast at the start of battle).

They did try to branch Ramza away from buffbot and into Knight DPS, but he's really not built for it so those relics are meh for content that isn't the D??? of the FFT torment.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Aemo, Yuna. Yuna makes up for it by being an AoE Raise + Last Stand + Hastega, so it's Eiko USB but slower and able to pick you back up after you've already eaten dirt.

Aemo is just a FF Dimensions character and thus will never be relevant ever.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

You know, Axel has Ninja 5 so he could probably clean up with Smoldering Flames and his Awakening. Especially since the inherent quick cast will help him get off the OSB follow ups faster.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

On the inverse, Yshtola's is instant but doesn't actually loving heal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

So playing this game on and off I'm still fairly new, though even with my lame party I can cheese stuff up to difficulty 140ish with Riku (as long as I can use my physical party.) I have a few questions though:

What do you have for Selphie and Larsa?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

When you're that early on any healer with a soul break will be good enough for the most part, tbh you can probably get away with a 0 relic healer if you give them Orlando's level 99 RM for fastcast mode. The most important thing is to make sure your team has ATK/MAG buffs as needed and you get your buffs (including haste/wall/protect/shell) cast ASAP at the start of battle. Using a godwall RW will take care of most of that of course but its not available for every fight

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Elephant Ambush posted:

What do you have for Selphie and Larsa?

Selphie USB1 and Larsa BSB

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

On the inverse, Yshtola's is instant but doesn't actually loving heal.

Actually, it's not! It's like Raijin's SSB where it pays the instantcast forward. It has the usual SB charge time, and then gives Yshtola (and Yshtola alone) Instant Cast 1.

Yshtola's USB1 is garbage.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

managed to brute force my way through the crystal tower during some unexpected downtime this morning since there's really only 3 bosses instead of 4 and it really is a shock to have to create parties that don't have characters starting off with multiple instant casts

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

Selphie USB1 and Larsa BSB

Those are both great, especially Selphie USB. I would recommend diving her if you have the motes for it. She should absolutely be your main healer.

Go do the nightmares and get Curada. Hone it to R3 at least.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 26, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

Actually, it's not! It's like Raijin's SSB where it pays the instantcast forward. It has the usual SB charge time, and then gives Yshtola (and Yshtola alone) Instant Cast 1.

Yshtola's USB1 is garbage.

jesus christ, it's worse than I remember, I thought it was at least instant-cast

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I remember when Y'sh first came out and was the most hyped character because she could get both Wall and a decent medica SB. Has she had anything good since her BSB?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

rujasu posted:

I remember when Y'sh first came out and was the most hyped character because she could get both Wall and a decent medica SB. Has she had anything good since her BSB?

Her USB2 is a Brave that gives Last Stand with the lvl 3 cast, so that's pretty good. Her Glint is also good, though I forget the details at the moment.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

rujasu posted:

Her Brave USB and Glint are fine.

Y'shtola's Augmented Magitek Cane [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal & High Quick Magic 3 to party, Instant Cast, Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use White Magic abilities
Level 0: Single-target h25 heal, Instant Cast
Level 1: h25 heal to party, Instant Cast
Level 2: h55 heal to party, Instant Cast
Level 3: h55 heal & Last Stand to party, Instant Cast

Y'shtola's Weathered Yagrush [Glint, +10 MND] - Shell, Haste & High Regen to party, Instant Cast

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Cool. That USB looks at least solid. The Glint doesn't look terrible but I can't see actually using it outside of some niche cases. She's pretty middle-tier at this point though.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I remember getting a lot of mileage out of Y'sh's Asylum SB, too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lights posted:

I remember getting a lot of mileage out of Y'sh's Asylum SB, too.

I still really like it. It’s pretty legit IMO.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

rujasu posted:

Cool. That USB looks at least solid. The Glint doesn't look terrible but I can't see actually using it outside of some niche cases. She's pretty middle-tier at this point though.

Getting shellga and hastega up in a single, instant action while using no ability slots and only one SB bar is extremely good. Especially on fights with dispels.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Getting shellga and hastega up in a single, instant action while using no ability slots and only one SB bar is extremely good. Especially on fights with dispels.

I'm not denying the power level, just thinking how many other ways there are to get Shell/Haste in this game (I can't think of all that many good boost/faith effects that don't have Hastega stapled on) and it seems like it would be redundant in most cases. I can definitely see how it could be used as a response to dispels though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well I'm out of Growth Eggs and 5* Motes so I'm not leveling anyone else for a while but I'm pretty happy with my current team (Gilgamesh/Riku/Squall/Selphie/Ramza) and hopefully that'll take me through the rest of the easier content until I have to start worrying about elemental teams/synergy teams/magic teams because all I got for that really is Alphinaud and Yuna

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rujasu posted:

(I can't think of all that many good boost/faith effects that don't have Hastega stapled on)

Literally every second generation Chain SB. (Zack's CSB too, which is like a prototype for those.)

The more of those you start getting/using, the more you need your Hastega from Other Sources, like Godwall or Eiko USB or the like.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Hey y'all, I just started playing a week ago. Been having a good time so far.

Got a few questions for you folks:

Are there any characters that are flat out terrible and not worth investing any time or effort into? So far I've been using whoever I have gotten good relics for, and it seems to be working.

Is the current KH event worth dropping Mythril on? I've used some for the Realm relic pulls, and gotten some decent gear, but I don't know whether to sit on what I have or use it.

How do motes work? They're just for increasing stats? Is there a limit of how many I can use on a character, or can I just go hog wild until I max it out?

Fun game so far. Any newbie traps I should be aware of? Thanks!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Are there any characters that are flat out terrible and not worth investing any time or effort into? So far I've been using whoever I have gotten good relics for, and it seems to be working.

Is the current KH event worth dropping Mythril on? I've used some for the Realm relic pulls, and gotten some decent gear, but I don't know whether to sit on what I have or use it.

How do motes work? They're just for increasing stats? Is there a limit of how many I can use on a character, or can I just go hog wild until I max it out?

Fun game so far. Any newbie traps I should be aware of? Thanks!

The only flat out terrible characters are the Core/Job Class characters (the ones with a crystal in their realm indicator that aren't FFRK OCs, so I mean the generic units), and they don't get relics so you wouldn't use them anyway. There is a power stratification based on skill access and quality of SBs, but honestly the only time you need to care about character viability is in the hardest 10% or so of content; most of it is designed to be beaten absolutely casually.

If you're new, the KH event is good, but will soundly be outclassed by the anniversary banners coming at the end of next month. Only pull if you really like the KH units and want a reason to use them, because they're basically the only units that don't get their gear put into the normal gacha rotation thanks to (c) Disney. You'll get plenty of mythril, though, so you don't need to be stingy if you don't want to be.

Motes offer you stat boosts generally, though some characters get added skill/equipment access at the 4* level, and every character has a "legend dive" at the 5* level which basically roids them out and gives them character-exclusive materia. You can go hogwild until you max a character out, and that might be the better option; there are a lot more characters than there are motes to go around, so generally you'll want to be more choosy with who gets the 4* and 5* motes.

The biggest newbie trap (now that the drat Original Newcomer Banners are gone) is that you shouldn't put too much stock in what higher-end players say about banner quality. Item/SB quality, sure, but once you run out of mythril in the Mythril Mines (aka the permanent content) you suddenly have to be a lot choosier about what to pull on if you don't want to whale. That said, some other advice for noobs is:
- Never use mythril/gems to continue if you party wipe. It's not worth it. At all.
- Don't use cash to buy things in the gem store or the Premium Packs. Only use cash for pulls if you're going to whale because the others are just dumping money down a hole.
- Come onto the Discord and say hi, we're good people there, even if some of us are nerds.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 27, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

- Come onto the Discord and say hi, we're good people there, even if some of us are nerds.

Definitely do this, and also ask for help with the MP fights. They've been really easy for veteran players for a long time, so it's not too hard to carry a cute newbie. You can get some really nice rewards from it to jumpstart your abilities.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
FFVIII end of month event banners!

There's new stuff on both; banner 1 has Selphie Awakening*, USB3, Glint+, and a pair of new LMRs, while Rinoa gets an Ice Awakening, Glint+, and a dualcast Witch LMR3 of her own. Meanwhile Banner 2 has Ultimecia's Awakening, Arcane Overstrike, and dualcast Dark LMR3, plus an Arcane Overstrike for Seifer!
*Note: Selphie's Awoken Dance Mode uses a unique kanji from the usual Dancer school, which seems to indicate that it's not a template for any future Dancer Awakenings.

Banner 1 posted:

Selphie's Rainbow Robe [AASB, +10 MND] - h105 heal, 100% Raise, Haste & Magic Blink 2 to party, Instant Cast, Awoken Dance Mode to user
Awoken Dance Mode: Unlimited Dancer Hones, High Quick Dancer & Barrier Dance
Barrier Dance: After using 1~5 Dancer abilities, grants ?~40% Damage Reduction Barrier 1 to party

Rinoa's Rising Moon [AASB, +10 MAG] - 15 single-target Ice/NE magic attacks, En-Ice, Awoken Ice Mode, Cap Break Level 1 & Freeze Apocalypse to user
Awoken Ice Mode: Unlimited Ice Hones, Ice Ability Boost & Dualcast Ice
Freeze Apocalypse: After using 3 Ice abilities, chases with single-target Ice/NE Overflow magic attack

Squall's Cutting Trigger+ [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Ice/NE physical attacks, En-Ice, Awoken Ice Mode, Cap Break Level 1, Quick Cast & Blasting Freeze to user
Awoken Ice Mode: Unlimited Ice Hones, Ice Ability Boost & Dualcast Ice
Blasting Freeze: When status is removed and 0/5/9 Ice abilities are used during it, chases with 10 single-target Ice/NE physical attacks at 10/30/50% critical rate + single-target Ice/NE Overflow physical attack for third threshold

Rinoa's Valkyries [AOSB, +10 MAG] - 3 single-target Ice/Earth Overflow magic attacks

Selphie's Stardust Nunchaku [USB, +10 MND] - Regenga, Last Stand & High Quick Cast 2 to party, Instant Cast
Rinoa's Pinwheel+ [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Ice magic attacks, En-Ice, Black Magic Damage +30% & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Black Magic abilities
Level 0: Single-target Ice magic attack
Level 1~3: Single-target Ice Overflow magic attack

Rinoa's Witch Tiara [Glint+, +10 MAG] - 6 single-target Ice/NE magic attacks, Instant Cast & Zero SB Cost, En-Ice & En-Ice Stack to user
Selphie's Nirvana [Glint+, +10 MND] - Protect, Shell & Haste to party, Instant Cast & Zero SB Cost

Selphie's Triple Staff [LMR, +10 MND] - When using Dancer abilities, 25% chance to cast h25 heal to party
Selphie's White Dress [LMR, +10 MND] - MND +?% with each Dancer use, up to ?%
Rinoa's Witch's Bracelet [LMR, +10 MAG] - 25% chance to Dualcast Witch abilities
Rinoa's Wind Slash [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Ice for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Rinoa's Magic Armlet [LMR, +10 MAG] - 25% chance to Dualcast Black Magic abilities
Squall's Hyperion [LMR, +10 ATK] - Quick Cast 3 at the start of battle

Banner 2 posted:

Ultimecia's Wizard's Rod [AASB, +10 MAG] - 15 single-target Wind/Dark/NE magic attacks, Awoken Magic Archer Mode, Cap Break Level 1, Switch Draw Mode & Cruel Blow to user
Awoken Magic Archer Mode: Unlimited Wind/Dark Hones, Wind/Dark Ability Boost & Dualcast Wind/Dark
Switch Draw Mode: En-Wind after using Wind abilities, En-Dark after using Dark abilities

Cruel Blow: After using 3 Wind or Dark abilities, chases with single-target Wind/Dark/NE Overflow magic attack

Seifer's Avenger [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Dark/Fire/NE ranged physical attacks, Awoken Sorceress Knight Mode, Cap Break Level 1, Switch Draw Mode & Egoistic Blade to user
Awoken Sorceress Knight Mode: Unlimited Dark/Fire Hones, Dark/Fire Ability Boost & Dualcast Dark/Fire
Switch Draw Mode: En-Fire after using Fire abilities, En-Dark after using Dark abilities

Egoistic Blade: After using 2 Dark or Fire abilities, chases with 8 single-target Dark/Fire/NE ranged physical attacks

Ultimecia's Cypress Pole [AOSB, +10 MAG] - 20 single-target Wind/Dark magic attacks & single-target Wind/Dark Overflow magic attack
Seifer's Inferno [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Dark/Fire Overflow physical attacks

Seifer's Hyperion Custom [CSB, +10 ATK] - Activates Dark Limit Chain (150) & 50% Dark Field, ATK +50% to party
Laguna's Bazooka [CSB, +10 ATK] - Activates Ice Limit Chain (150) & 50% Ice Field, ATK +50% to party

Ultimecia's Staff of the Magi [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Wind/Dark magic attacks, Instant Cast, DEF/RES/MND -40%, Quick Cast & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Wind or Dark abilities
Level 0: Single-target Wind/Dark magic attack
Level 1: Single-target Wind/Dark Overflow magic attack
Level 2: Single-target Wind/Dark Overflow magic attack
Level 3: Single-target Wind/Dark Overflow magic attack, Dispel

Laguna's Great Machine Gun [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Ice/NE ranged physical attacks, En-Ice, ATK & DEF +30% and Machinist Ability Double to user

Ultimecia's Onyx Dress [Glint, +10 MAG] - Weakness Damage +30% & High Quick Cast 2 to user, Instant Cast
Seifer's Vishnu Vest [Glint, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, Instant Cast, minor Imperil Dark, Dark Damage +10% to user
Laguna's Sorceress's Knight [Glint, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Ice/NE ranged physical attacks, Instant Cast, En-Ice & En-Ice Stack to user

Ultimecia's Lamia's Tiara [LMR, +10 MAG] - 25% chance to Dualcast Dark Magic abilities
Ultimecia's Judicer's Staff [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Seifer's Ambition Bracer [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Darkness abilities

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm convinced that Necrophobe Magicite doesn't exist while I drown in Dragon Zombie and Hades. This fight is really un-fun to farm.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Definitely do this, and also ask for help with the MP fights. They've been really easy for veteran players for a long time, so it's not too hard to carry a cute newbie. You can get some really nice rewards from it to jumpstart your abilities.

2 of my college buddies got me into this game so we raid together every week. They're week 1 players and I started about a year later. None of us are whales.

For the last couple months we've been doing all raids with just the 3 of us and having very few problems. We keep trying to challenge ourselves with gimmick teams to keep things fun and interesting and we have to nerf ourselves pretty hard to lose.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The changes to magicite drops today reminded me that grinding sub-30 4* is technically the optimal way to level up magicites, but holy poo poo it is absolutely not worth the actual real-world time and effort. I'll stick to XP dailies thank you.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm convinced that Necrophobe Magicite doesn't exist while I drown in Dragon Zombie and Hades. This fight is really un-fun to farm.

Seriously get a drop tracker if you want to grind magicite. RK2 is my suggestion: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/amm95i/rk_squared_110_dungeondroprmscore_tracker_for_ios/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey yo wtf how am I supposed to clear these mote dungeons? Like they say they are 180 difficultly but it sure doesn’t feel like that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MarcusSA posted:

Hey yo wtf how am I supposed to clear these mote dungeons? Like they say they are 180 difficultly but it sure doesn’t feel like that.

If you're just starting? Utility (This person will use your Atk/Mag buff), 3 DPS that fit the theme and have good BSBs/USBs, and a healer.

Your utility person will drop one of the proshellgas, then their ATK/MAG SB, and then their other ability slot can slot a dmg of the specific type you're again
Your healer will drop the other of proshellga, maybe the RW (a DPS can do this instead if needed), then heal and use their BSB/USB eventually when you need it
Your DPS will... DPS?

These fights are a hone and elemental synergy check (i.e. can you field 3 dudes that can do fire/wind/whatever damage and have you honed enough ability uses to go across all of them)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MF_James posted:

If you're just starting? Utility (This person will use your Atk/Mag buff), 3 DPS that fit the theme and have good BSBs/USBs, and a healer.

Your utility person will drop one of the proshellgas, then their ATK/MAG SB, and then their other ability slot can slot a dmg of the specific type you're again
Your healer will drop the other of proshellga, maybe the RW (a DPS can do this instead if needed), then heal and use their BSB/USB eventually when you need it
Your DPS will... DPS?

These fights are a hone and elemental synergy check (i.e. can you field 3 dudes that can do fire/wind/whatever damage and have you honed enough ability uses to go across all of them)

Ok like obviously 3* abilities ain’t gonna cut it but will 4* ones or should I focus on 5*?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MarcusSA posted:

Ok like obviously 3* abilities ain’t gonna cut it but will 4* ones or should I focus on 5*?

I highly recommend not wasting time on anything under 5* except in specific instances (some summons and a few utility things etc)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MF_James posted:

I highly recommend not wasting time on anything under 5* except in specific instances (some summons and a few utility things etc)

Ok well poo poo I’ve got some farming to do.

How many hones should I get to then? 6?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Ok well poo poo I’ve got some farming to do.

How many hones should I get to then? 6?

Yeah I usually shoot for that, later you'll end up honing specific things higher for specific reasons (some SBs have a chase based on rank of casted ability or thirsty cast motherfuckers like vivi and orleandu)

feel free to try before you get to 6 hones, you can probably do it with less, that's just generally what I go for.

Now is a good time to farm orbs since dailies are open and we're getting some stam pots for free.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

4 hones per skill is enough to get started at least, should be more than enough to get through mote dungeons and similar level content at least, just bring 2 attack skills for each dps character if you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you don't have enough abilities, a character with a BSB can ease the pressure a bit.

The bosses get more dangerous the closer they are to death so if you're using an OSB on anyone then save it for near the end rather than the beginning.