Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
Bit the bullet and, after 30 minutes on hold and a brief but agonizing exchange with a retention department rep, cancelled my cable and voice plans. Down from 177.36 to 69.10 for just internet. Wish I had done it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Nocheez posted:

This was a post from 2012, and lots of things have happened since then:
- Wife has finished her Masters and now has a system-wide position in the largest hospital system other than the VA.
- We both got new hybrid cars this year again, both paid for in cash. Hers is a 2017, mine is a 2019.
- We bought a new house in 2015 (referenced above) and put down 20%.
- We still own the old house and rented it out for almost 3 years. However, we are closing on it a week from today :toot: :toot: :toot:
- We had a kid in 2018! He's really awesome :)
- I started a new job about 4 years ago. I'm finally making nearly the same amount of money but the healthcare is great.

We're planning on maxing out our Roth IRAs for 2018/2019 with the proceeds from the house, and will be renovating our master bathroom finally.

I feel like a new chapter in our lives is beginning.

This is awesome progress! Congrats :)

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
They recently remodeled our local Aldi so I did my first full shop there. Found 90% of what I needed and spent $60 for a family of four. At least a third less than the other stores in town.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just dropped $12,500 into Roth and taxable accounts. Pushing on to retirement.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

howdoesishotweb posted:

They recently remodeled our local Aldi so I did my first full shop there. Found 90% of what I needed and spent $60 for a family of four. At least a third less than the other stores in town.

Aldi makes grocery shopping into easy mode. There are some traps in terms of junk food availability, but bring some reusable bags and a quarter for a refundable cart deposit and you're a shopping pro.

spwrozek posted:

Just dropped $12,500 into Roth and taxable accounts. Pushing on to retirement.

Hell yeah, and cheaper than if you had done it a few months ago.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Improvement-ish 1:
- We're down to 2 nice vehicles (from 4 - 3 lovely, one nice) for the first time in a long time.

But at what cost?
- Because truck equity

There is something to be said for having two newer, nice, dependable vehicles. I had been putting a lot of money into our used cars to keep them on the road and still driving around old hoopties, I'm probably paying twice as much for a new truck as I was keeping our old cars on the road. So I took the plunge and finally bought what I wanted. Luckily, my wife's car is paid off (2017 Accord) so living with one vehicle payment isn't too bad so far.

While this isn't necessarily a financial gain, it is absolutely a quality of life improvement - one less thing to stress over. The payment fit better than I thought into our budget and it hasn't been a burden so far.

Improvement 2:
Another improvement is a ~5% raise this year for our household. Not earth-shattering, but appreciated. Next year will be the last year of full-time daycare payments, then we're really going to feel rich with ~$600+ a month being saved.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have saved enough to see a modest couple hundred net increase to my savings from last month.

Easy street here I come.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Started to do one big grocery shopping (and thus planning dinners etc for a whole week). Slashed spending by 40% while eating better and higher quality stuff.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have saved enough to see a modest couple hundred net increase to my savings from last month.

Easy street here I come.
Hey, you have a chunk of life preserver to hang on to now, you're not just treading water! That is supremely important during bad times.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Started to do one big grocery shopping (and thus planning dinners etc for a whole week). Slashed spending by 40% while eating better and higher quality stuff.

Congrats! Meal planning is a great way to save time, money, and reduce waste from spoiled food.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was good... $8562.50 raise, $18000 bonus.

Also about to buy a house, so not as good? Lol.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

spwrozek posted:

Congratudolences!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

spwrozek posted:

That's awesome! At least an extra $500 a month in take-home pay will make that mortgage a bit less scary.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:toot: Paid off 5.6% of my mortgage today in one lump sum, knocking nearly 2.5 years off my mortgage.

Also this is the nicest / least obnoxious calculator I've found: https://www.daveramsey.com/mortgage-payoff-calculator

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

:toot: Paid off 5.6% of my mortgage today in one lump sum, knocking nearly 2.5 years off my mortgage.

Also this is the nicest / least obnoxious calculator I've found: https://www.daveramsey.com/mortgage-payoff-calculator

This will always be my favorite calculator. They've changed the UI a little bit, but I think it's pretty awesome:
https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mad Wack posted:

the last two years going from unemployed and deeply in debt to a much better place...

one year later and now it's up 66%

these forums really helped me get my head on straight when it comes to managing money (also YNAB helped too)

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
God drat dude that's awesome! And I was coming here to post about how happy I am about my progress.

Still going to do it though. I keep wanting to buy things (tvs, video game consoles, furniture) but I'm just pushing ahead putting as much as I can into retirement accounts and saving for a house downpayment.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Huge progress on the NW front, guys. Sincere congratulations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's really good work, and it shows how much you can benefit by sticking with it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

After 3.5 months of unpaid medical leave/unemployment I have a job offer and 2.5 promising opportunities that I’m waiting to hear back on with regards to whether they want an interview.

I say 2.5 because one seems like I’m somewhat under qualified but the recruiter (good recruiter, not Robert Half) thought it was worth submitting me.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Fingers crossed, Earge! Getting your head back into the game is daunting but you're gonna get it done.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. Had a phone screen for a better one yesterday, taking a break from a practical assessment right now that I’ll submit this evening. Hopefully I hear back on it tomorrow, I would love to be working next week.

E: Got word back I should expect to hear a final decision on that first offer tomorrow, the director has been out of the office. Gonna let the HR lady at the place I just submitted the assessment for know about that tomorrow too. loving $70k a year WFH would be life-changing.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 20, 2019

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I pushed the buttons to trigger all this a few days ago but the transactions have finally processed and I now have six months worth of savings in an emergency fund and I've set up automatic transactions to max out my IRA.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I only really have a number of small wins to make. Since going from renting an apartment to paying a mortgage on a house my total interest + taxes + transport costs are now the same as when I was living in the apartment. This will be further helped by refinancing 2/3 of my mortgage to 3.99% (which is extremely low for New Zealand). Progress but not much more I can squeeze out of my finances.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

CaptainRat posted:

I pushed the buttons to trigger all this a few days ago but the transactions have finally processed and I now have six months worth of savings in an emergency fund and I've set up automatic transactions to max out my IRA.

awesome!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I still haven’t heard back with a final offer from that one place, but the one I really want scheduled four hours of video interviews on Monday, which tells me they’re pretty loving serious. One of the people that will be interviewing me is the CFO, who would be my immediate boss. I doubt they would spend the CFO’s time if they weren’t very interested.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hope is the first step towards disappointment

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Since I started my new job a year ago I have 2.5 times-d my net worth (not that it was crazy high to start with but still). Variously decreasing expenses/outgoings and increasing my income. Huge win for me.

My one year review is next week and I just want it done so the stress-dreams about being laid off again stop. Probably gonna get a raise, not sure how much of one. I'm right about at market, even smidge above even for my experience (do always negotiate), so it's not a huge concern.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hope is the first step towards disappointment

Suck it nerd, official offer from one job at least. Only $26.50 per hour plus a $500 quarterly bonus, so I still want the other better, but it's money.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Congratulations my friend

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
thats it im fuckin done!

:fuckoff:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh buddy!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

thats it im fuckin done!

:toot:

Enjoy owing them $0.62 in interest and needing to mail them a check or something.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

thats it im fuckin done!

Congrats! Goddamn I can’t wait for that same message in 8 months

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

thats it im fuckin done!

Huge congrats!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

thats it im fuckin done!

Hells yeah

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

thats it im fuckin done!

Time to go buy a new car! Just think of how much more debt you can take on now!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
You could even buy a house, or two. Go hog wild and take on all of the debt.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

thats it im fuckin done!

gently caress yes, it's the best feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the payoff amount seemed to overestimate compared to my remaining balance so I think I might get a check for like two dollars in the mail in a couple months or something