Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao at Business Insider's hot take. "The arrival of Pokémon on the Nintendo Switch is the end of an era — and kids are the ones who are going to lose out".

I'd love to see the reasoning for this. :allears:

THE loving MOON posted:

The last bit in the first tweet is "aye moira, you're spot on, I'm on the XP share", if that helps with the pronunciation at all

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait are people really having trouble? They are spelled out pretty bluntly for the joke

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I hear the story is about how Brexit will affect the Pokemon League.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'd love to see the reasoning for this. :allears:

Thanks.

He saw the ads that only had adults millennials using the Switch and took that as the target demographic. :newlol:

Really, the only way it makes sense is because a 2/3DS is half the price and tens of millions are already in the wild, so barrier to entry is easier.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 27, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait are people really having trouble? They are spelled out pretty bluntly for the joke
The joke is that there's no joke.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

American McGay posted:

The joke is that there's no joke.

The joke is Scottish people sound funny

Which to be fair they do.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The story in the new pokemon is about honda closing their factory in Swindon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

The story in the new pokemon is about honda closing their factory in Swindon.

lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Brother Entropy posted:

just read the tweets out loud in a scottish accent and you'll get it

I thought it was north Britain like Yorkshire or something but I haven’t watched the video, only read the tweets

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Will Team IRA or Team Football Hooligans awaken the legendary pokemon and cause the UK to sink under endless rain? :wooper:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I would play a Pokémon game where you were on the IRA

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, unless the type chart undergoes a complete rework, they won't move away from them. There are only a few other possible trios (that have weaknesses and resistances to each other, and not weaknesses and immunities since that will cause some other issues) that have that relationship, and they're not as intuitive as Fire/Water/Grass.

Is it sacrilege to suggest that you might not need rock/paper/scissors starters, or exactly 3 starters, or the concept of starters at all? That specific design idea is older than most people who will be playing sword/shield.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would play a Pokémon game where you were on the IRA

Instinct Republican Army

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A Bag of Milk posted:

Is it sacrilege to suggest that you might not need rock/paper/scissors starters, or exactly 3 starters, or the concept of starters at all? That specific design idea is older than most people who will be playing sword/shield.

would dropping those things actually make the game better?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ciaphas posted:

I thought it was north Britain like Yorkshire or something but I haven’t watched the video, only read the tweets

North Britain is Scotland, northern England is Yorkshire

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Butterfly Valley posted:

North Britain is Scotland, northern England is Yorkshire

thanks for the correction. gently caress me how do I keep getting that nomenclature backwards :doh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get this, Northern Ireland is also Britain :eyepop:

no pedantry please I know I'm technically wrong

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait to fight this Gym Leader

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A Pokemon game absolutely needs starters, yes. It's core to the whole experience to have "your guy" and have that guy be the anchor for your team.

I mean you're always gonna have a "first Pokemon", it can be an iconic one with story and sentimental significance or it can be whatever Pidgey, Rattatta, or Caterpie expy you happen on first.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Eliminate starters, as well as the entire mechanic of catching and training Pokémon. You’re just a human going around killing Pokémon with your bare hands.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Weedle posted:

Eliminate starters, as well as the entire mechanic of catching and training Pokémon. You’re just a human going around killing Pokémon with your bare hands.

Pocket Monster Hunter. Do it, Nintendo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Was catching up to the thread, got to the RE4 chat and had to post

Kneecap then knife strat all day, and take my goddamn money and give me my game already

It's finally up for pre-order on the eShop. I put it in my wish list.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the villain team this time is just gonna want their country to separate from the mainland

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pokemon battle your way out of Brexit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

€30 each for the Resi ports :negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can't wait to fight this Gym Leader

You joke, but he's clearly a Pokemon Go organizer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Deltarune episode one is out

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

would dropping those things actually make the game better?

It definitely could. I mean, game series' in general are at least iterative. Surely old ideas can be built upon in positive ways?

Deified Data posted:

A Pokemon game absolutely needs starters, yes. It's core to the whole experience to have "your guy" and have that guy be the anchor for your team.

I mean you're always gonna have a "first Pokemon", it can be an iconic one with story and sentimental significance or it can be whatever Pidgey, Rattatta, or Caterpie expy you happen on first.

Just off the top of my head, you could have a larger freeform tutorial area which all sorts of good Pokemon that have stage 2 evolutions all appearing at level 5, and an npc that gives you a bag of pokeballs and a loaner pokemon with false swipe and thunderwave. You only get one catch and can't revisit for story reasons. You'd learn pretty much all you need to start your adventure and get to have a more personal experience than "pick a ball because the whole game is 1MB"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every time someone comes up with a "new" and "different" way to start off a Pokemon game it's invariably a terrible idea.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A Bag of Milk posted:

Just off the top of my head, you could have a larger freeform tutorial area which all sorts of good Pokemon that have stage 2 evolutions all appearing at level 5, and an npc that gives you a bag of pokeballs and a loaner pokemon with false swipe and thunderwave. You only get one catch and can't revisit for story reasons. You'd learn pretty much all you need to start your adventure and get to have a more personal experience than "pick a ball because the whole game is 1MB"
This sounds bad and dumb. Please don't ever go into game design.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Every time someone comes up with a "new" and "different" way to start off a Pokemon game it's invariably a terrible idea.

and 90% of the time they've already been tried in bad pokemon fangames

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Alright, it's ok if there's one major franchise where new=bad, no skin off my nose. I can just play something else. I'll drop it.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Inzombiac posted:

Howdafug am I gonna buy the new pokey man?

I always buy the blue/dark version but I am a shield boy all the way.

Shield is the blue equivalent

Red/Blue
Sword/Shield

A Bag of Milk posted:

It definitely could. I mean, game series' in general are at least iterative. Surely old ideas can be built upon in positive ways?

That sounds really clunky and fangamey, it sounds like the equivalent of a Starcraft custom game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baller Ina posted:

it sounds like the equivalent of a Starcraft custom game

fa$te$t catch poʃʃible Pokemon SPECIAL forces.map

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Alright, it's ok if there's one major franchise where new=bad, no skin off my nose. I can just play something else. I'll drop it.

It’s not that Pokémon couldn’t benefit from changing some things up. It’s just that your idea was bad.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was doing a Nuzlocke run with randomized 'mons and increased-difficulty AIs ('cause hacks are awesome) and one of the starters I got to pick was Mewtwo.

It was super jaw-dropping amazing except that my rival randomly started with a Darkrai.

I lost the first fight, and, according to the time-honored tradition of the Nuzlocke run, had to start the game over with a different set of randomized 'mans.

That probably shouldn't be the official policy but it makes the game much more interesting for old-hands.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Like I'm trying to think of novel ways to reimagine starters and I can't. "You only get one, but with a lot more personality" is the only one that's worked so far and not even that is preferable to being able to pick your own dude in my opinion.

Spitballing:
  • Starter effects the world somewhat - determines your rival, first couple of gyms, cosmetic stuff, I don't know. Say the first gym gives you a type advantage and the second puts you at a disadvantage, to ease in new players and then test them in short order.
  • Starter determined by personality quiz? Different starters for each version? I don't know this would probably just be annoying.
  • The ability to play as your starter away from the trainer somehow, fight and converse with other pokemon, Mystery Dungeon style?
  • Similar to the first one, maybe each starter has a different field ability that opens up different paths depending on who you picked?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
your starter should get its innate ability replaced with Last Ditch Effort, tied to your trainer + hidden IDs, and when your last pokemon faints, it comes back out with 1HP, uses its top attack, and gets a protect effect the next turn

blaze/overgrow/deluge suck anyway

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Weedle posted:

It’s not that Pokémon couldn’t benefit from changing some things up. It’s just that your idea was bad.

To be fair there were many more posts hostile to the general idea of changing up the starter system than ones criticizing my specific idea

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The fact that it's a main Pokemon game that's playable on a TV is new enough for me. I would actually be pretty bummed if that opportunity finally came around and it turned out to be something very different. I've never been a huge handheld fan and Pokemon X is the only Pokemon game I've played since Sapphire back in 2003, and I played that on an emulator.