Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll have a Dalai Lama and can I get that NXIVM'ed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
+1 for vidya gateway critical thinking.
Like I thought literary analysis was loving horseshit in english class because we had to write essays on the symbolism of the most boring books ever written. But then when I got talking with people breaking down like Metal Gear Solid or ICO or whatever I ate that poo poo up.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

redsniper posted:

+1 for vidya gateway critical thinking.
Like I thought literary analysis was loving horseshit in english class because we had to write essays on the symbolism of the most boring books ever written. But then when I got talking with people breaking down like Metal Gear Solid or ICO or whatever I ate that poo poo up.

cheers, i'm also a huge moron

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The revolutionary, controversial idea of getting people's interest by talking about things they like and are interested in in positive ways instead of telling them they and everything they like are dumb and garbage and they should throw everything away and only like the things you like

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

is the design around the O supposed to be blackface makeup lips :psypop:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
an eyeball?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It looks like a goddamn Big Brother eye.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's an open eye to indicate being awake, or 'woke'

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The revolutionary, controversial idea of getting people's interest by talking about things they like and are interested in in positive ways instead of telling them they and everything they like are dumb and garbage and they should throw everything away and only like the things you like

Agreed, that's why getting upset video games aren't "woke enough" is dumb.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

cheers, i'm also a huge moron
spoken like someone who's never been forced to read The Scarlet Letter

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

English classes destroyed shakespeare for me by pretending it was infinitely profound literature instead of being the historical version of leslie nielson films

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Control Volume posted:

English classes destroyed shakespeare for me by pretending it was infinitely profound literature instead of being the historical version of leslie nielson films

Most high literature of historical note is actually cool and good and often very funny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We saw the Baz Lurhmann Romeo + Juliet film in school and I thought it was actually pretty fitting. Ridiculous melodrama and fancy-rear end costumes fit it like a glove. Also, the guns are awesome and it was a cheeky touch to have all the guns named after swords to keep the dialogue the same.

Surprised to read that it actually came out before Titanic. Say what you want about Leonardo DiCaprio, he's born to play pretty boys.

Ghost Leviathan has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Feb 28, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Four hundred years from now someone is going to analyze Airplane! and focus on how jive was a well known dialect at the time and how airplane food was historically not very well preserved and ask students the deeper meaning of "I just want to tell you both good luck, we're all counting on you"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

spoken like someone who's never been forced to read The Scarlet Letter

that book is loving terrible

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Non-classic high school literature isn't always much better though

Tomorrow When The War Began is pretty garbage.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If teachers were smart they would start with Asimov or something and end with Le Guin, then get them into the old stuff

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Non-classic high school literature isn't always much better though

Tomorrow When The War Began is pretty garbage.

the 'australia is getting invaded by a wily south-east asian nation, no matter how ludicrous' genre is quite expansive, it turns out

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in one of my high school english classes, we read King Lear and watched Ran afterward. it was pretty cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the 'australia is getting invaded by a wily south-east asian nation, no matter how ludicrous' genre is quite expansive, it turns out

I still find it funny that America doesn't retaliate because 'they don't want another Vietnam'

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Heath posted:

Most high literature of historical note is actually cool and good and often very funny

Poe could be hilarious when he wanted to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Poe could be hilarious when he wanted to.

Was just reading that Edgar Allen Poe actually wrote in quite a variety of genres and styles with the gothic stuff he's famous for being a relative minority.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Four hundred years from now someone is going to analyze Airplane! and focus on how jive was a well known dialect at the time and how airplane food was historically not very well preserved and ask students the deeper meaning of "I just want to tell you both good luck, we're all counting on you"

i'm pretty sure the iconic film of this decade is going to end up being guardians of the galaxy

i may be missing something cheesier/funnier/more "typical", but there doesn't seem to be that much to choose from

Dec 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'm pretty sure the iconic film of this decade is going to end up being guardians of the galaxy

i may be missing something cheesier/funnier/more "typical", but there doesn't seem to be that much to choose from

some poor highschooler is going to have to explain in an essay why, thematically, there's a raccoon

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Farm Frenzy posted:

i think you can take hbombs prequel jokes with a grain of salt when you consider that he made a video where the plot is that he goes insane developing a hot take that cntrl alt delete is actually good

he has a stream with Contrapoints were he whines about Red Letter Media being unfair to the prequels.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I’m curious why you think this because I’ll admit I’m very disconnected from popular culture but that movie both sucked poo poo and seemed to have a negligible cultural impact besides a lovely sequel and generic fast food toy tie ins

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

almost has to be something like a comics cavalcade if one is to capture what popular culture is like in this decade, and i think anything that even starts to take itself seriously will age horrifically as the characters fall out of pop culture relevance.

also to specifically comment on the "cultural impact" bit: that is almost irrelevant, looking backwards sufficiently far it is far more relevant how well the thing reflects the culture than it is whether it did so by itself impacting culture.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i'm beyond sick of superhero movies

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

i'm beyond sick of superhero movies

since time is a flat dumb circle we are going to go back to silent slap stick, then musicals, then westerns, then action, then superheros

forever.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

01011001 posted:

some poor highschooler is going to have to explain in an essay why, thematically, there's a raccoon

There used to be a Brazilian blog that compiled wacky out of context Japan videos and one of them was a JoJo Bizarre Adventure (part 3) sketch where a bunch of dorks did the Jotaro Kujo "Ora ora ora" routine followed by the Dio Brando "Wrrrry" cry and motion, and the first comment on it was an enormous post on how it was actually this overly elaborate Tai Chi, Buddhist and Shintoism mixture that had a lot of people fawning over it. And that's what I think of the future highschooler trying to decide Rocket Raccoon.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Kunster posted:

There used to be a Brazilian blog that compiled wacky out of context Japan videos and one of them was a JoJo Bizarre Adventure (part 3) sketch where a bunch of dorks did the Jotaro Kujo "Ora ora ora" routine followed by the Dio Brando "Wrrrry" cry and motion, and the first comment on it was an enormous post on how it was actually this overly elaborate Tai Chi, Buddhist and Shintoism mixture that had a lot of people fawning over it. And that's what I think of the future highschooler trying to decide Rocket Raccoon.

MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA!!!

ZA WARUDO!!!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n03/musab-younis/bitch-nation

I was reading the above article and apparently in 2014 the Keystone XL pipeline company started a website called OPEChatesgays.com. As part of their lobbying to get the US to buy more canadian oil they did a campaign about how badly most of the OPEC countries treat gay people. Sadly the website is down, but the twitter remains!

https://twitter.com/opechatesgays?lang=en

With gems such as
https://twitter.com/OPECHatesGays/status/529649698785595392
https://twitter.com/OPECHatesGays/status/530425913763446785

Syncopated has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Feb 28, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yes? I ran for mayor and attended city council meetings.

look at dis guy, owning this entire thread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We saw the Baz Lurhmann Romeo + Juliet film in school and I thought it was actually pretty fitting. Ridiculous melodrama and fancy-rear end costumes fit it like a glove. Also, the guns are awesome and it was a cheeky touch to have all the guns named after swords to keep the dialogue the same.

Surprised to read that it actually came out before Titanic. Say what you want about Leonardo DiCaprio, he's born to play pretty boys.

after portraying tybalt, john leguizamo went on to star in The Pest

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mordor She Wrote posted:

since time is a flat dumb circle we are going to go back to silent slap stick, then musicals, then westerns, then action, then superheros

forever.

Hell yea.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i demand more singing cowboy films

last year we barely even got part of one

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i demand more singing cowboy films

last year we barely even got part of one

I don't know if the world will ever be able to handle a second Blazing Saddles.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bogus Adventure posted:

I don't know if the world will ever be able to handle a second Blazing Saddles.

you just know some hollywood exec has pitched a remake recently

just imagine it: a woke movie that says the n word a lot, in 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Blazeback Mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Control Volume posted:

This but Starship Troopers and also unironically