Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Eric Berry’s heel is one of the most mysterious sports injuries I’ve seen. It’s not his torn Achilles one either

This is nothing compared to the saga of Mark L. Fultz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a haglund deformity. Same as John Wall.

And that turned out just great.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
https://deadspin.com/nick-foles-and-his-dong-are-now-free-to-go-elsewhere-1832935356

"It was always going to be hard for the Eagles to hold on to Foles. The tag figure for quarterbacks is estimated to be in the $25 million range, fully guaranteed, in both cash and cap—pretty stiff for a team like Philly, which only has a small package of available cap space to work with."

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I heard Johnny Football kept forgetting to put the toilet seat down in the Montreal locker room

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fire Safety Doug posted:

https://deadspin.com/nick-foles-and-his-dong-are-now-free-to-go-elsewhere-1832935356

"It was always going to be hard for the Eagles to hold on to Foles. The tag figure for quarterbacks is estimated to be in the $25 million range, fully guaranteed, in both cash and cap—pretty stiff for a team like Philly, which only has a small package of available cap space to work with."

I saw this reported somewhere as a "stunning decision." I'm not sure why that would be considering it's exactly what everyone expected

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Play posted:

I saw this reported somewhere as a "stunning decision." I'm not sure why that would be considering it's exactly what everyone expected

cause they tried to pick up his option which was already $20million guaranteed, a few more million to ensure he doesn't go to a division rival seems like a similar or better investment than putting that money toward a couple depth signings. plus they'd have wound up trading him anyway. I'm not "stunned" but I would've bet they held on to him

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

indigi posted:

cause they tried to pick up his option which was already $20million guaranteed, a few more million to ensure he doesn't go to a division rival seems like a similar or better investment than putting that money toward a couple depth signings. plus they'd have wound up trading him anyway. I'm not "stunned" but I would've bet they held on to him

As much as I would hate to see the R**skins succeed at anything it would be pretty funny if Foles went there and shat all over the division next year. Meanwhile, Carson hurts his back and never plays football again

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Foles to Washington makes a stupid amount of sense.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

BlindSite posted:

Not really a ton of other options.

Who else is there: Dolphins, Jags, and maybe Buccaneers?

Two of those have top-10 draft slots as well.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Abugadu posted:

Miami isn’t gonna sign him

Tank season

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ehud posted:

Miami isn’t gonna sign him

Tank season

What are the odds that the front office forgets that they want to be tanking and fires Flores so that we can get him back as DC?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Abugadu posted:

Two of those have top-10 draft slots as well.

Arians already committed to Jameis and said he's not bringing in anyone for competition.

Jags seem to make the most sense.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If it’s worth anything

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1100918212588421121?s=21

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the odds that the front office forgets that they want to be tanking and fires Flores so that we can get him back as DC?

I didn’t think any Pats fans even cared he left

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lmao good

I feel bad for Nick, though, because going to the Jags is exactly the same as like when he was with the Rams

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

I didn’t think any Pats fans even cared he left

Even the most Homeric Pats fans are sad he’s leaving because they saw how much better the defense got with Patricia leaving.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

BlindSite posted:

They should just burn that bitch down. Carrying both Foles and Alex Smith's salary is dumb as gently caress.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Colt McCoy in Washington seems really on-brand. And typical Washington thinking.

Looking forward to the next season.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Washington ought the tank and draft the next QB they’ll ruin.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Colt McCoy in Washington seems really on-brand. And typical Washington thinking.

Looking forward to the next season.

I have a friend who's a Redskins fan who thinks McCoy is the same as Alex Smith and maybe he's right.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Washington won't do that, because Gruden knows he's gonna be fired if they suck.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ELO Musk posted:

Lmao good

I feel bad for Nick, though, because going to the Jags is exactly the same as like when he was with the Rams

I wouldn't feel bad for Nick Foles, dude was ready to retire and everything since that moment has been pure gravy including tens of millions of dollars, a Super Bowl victory and a statue outside the stadium.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They should just burn that bitch down. Carrying both Foles and Alex Smith's salary is dumb as gently caress.

They're gonna cut bait on alex smith. There's no way it's an easy pill to swallow but he's about to be 35 and I doubt he plays until he's 36.

Unless they're gonna go after Tyrod which lol.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

wandler20 posted:

I have a friend who's a Redskins fan who thinks McCoy is the same as Alex Smith and maybe he's right.

Alex Smith is 5000x better than Colt McCoy.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

kiimo posted:

I wouldn't feel bad for Nick Foles, dude was ready to retire and everything since that moment has been pure gravy including tens of millions of dollars, a Super Bowl victory and a statue outside the stadium.

I want him to be a legit starting NFL QB, though, not a whataburger for a team with no OL or WRs

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BlindSite posted:

They're gonna cut bait on alex smith. There's no way it's an easy pill to swallow but he's about to be 35 and I doubt he plays until he's 36.

Unless they're gonna go after Tyrod which lol.

They can't cut bait lol
They're 9mil under for 2019

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not sure if cutting bait is the appropriate term when you guaranteed 71m.

Alex Smith will be lucky to walk normally again but at least he can rest easy that he absolutely fleeced one of the worst owners in all of sports.

edit: beaten

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bigass Moth posted:

Alex Smith is 5000x better than Colt McCoy.

Maybe he's saying Colt McCoy is the same as 2019 Alex Smith. I might buy that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's literally nothing they can do about the cap hit unless he retires. They're going to have to do something.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe he's saying Colt McCoy is the same as 2019 Alex Smith. I might buy that.

I think he mean't they're both mediocre and neither is leading the Redskins anywhere. Then again, who knows the mindset of a Redskins fan.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BlindSite posted:

There's literally nothing they can do about the cap hit unless he retires. They're going to have to do something.

They can't try to be competitive in this situation and signing Foles would be dumb as hell. Washington needs to accept a Sashi Brown special and eat poo poo for 2 - 3 years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They can't try to be competitive in this situation and signing Foles would be dumb as hell. Washington needs to accept a Sashi Brown special and eat poo poo for 2 - 3 years.

That's one option but I doubt Snyder goes that way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

I think he mean't they're both mediocre and neither is leading the Redskins anywhere. Then again, who knows the mindset of a Redskins fan.

I was joking that maybe Colt's as good as a guy on crutches, but if we're honestly looking at him Colt McCoy seems like the embodiment of the idea of replacement level player to me. Like, any team in the league can find a Colt McCoy somewhere if they need to.

I guess he does have the benefit of being in the system for a while.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He also sucks really bad and is fragile.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/rotoworld_fb/status/1100922495102644224?s=21

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah if there’s one area that KC can afford to take a step back on its defense.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I love John Elway saying that Kyler Murray's height matters.

The same John Elways who continually signs/drafts QBs due to their height and once had the two tallest QBs in the league on the same roster. You would have thought he learned something by this point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Houston was still pretty good but not good for his contract good imo.

I honestly have no idea what his market would look like. You need a team in win now mode I'd think.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah if there’s one area that KC can afford to take a step back on its defense.

This gets overblown all the time since teams are in their base defense like 20% of plays if that, but KC is switching from a 3-4 to 4-3. I wonder if they think Houston wouldn't be as valuable to them with Spags defense.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 28, 2019

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

This gets overblown all the time since teams are in their base defense like 20% of plays if that, but KC is switching from a 3-4 to 4-3. I wonder if they think Houston wouldn't be as valuable to them with Spags defense.

Depending on how Reid and management feel about Spagnuolo and the new staff, they may also think that trading Houston for the cap space and whatever they get out of it would still end up with a net improvement on defense even if they don't get an immediate replacement.

I suppose that depends on exactly how much you believed Sutton sucked rear end and how much of it was personnel deficiencies.

EDIT: if the cap space freed up by trading Houston ends up put 100% into Landon Collins on his own I think the defense would see a major improvement; pass rushing is not what the Chiefs D sucked at last year.