Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A Bag of Milk posted:

It definitely could. I mean, game series' in general are at least iterative. Surely old ideas can be built upon in positive ways?

Just off the top of my head, you could have a larger freeform tutorial area which all sorts of good Pokemon that have stage 2 evolutions all appearing at level 5, and an npc that gives you a bag of pokeballs and a loaner pokemon with false swipe and thunderwave. You only get one catch and can't revisit for story reasons. You'd learn pretty much all you need to start your adventure and get to have a more personal experience than "pick a ball because the whole game is 1MB"

that sounds terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A Bag of Milk posted:

To be fair there were many more posts hostile to the general idea of changing up the starter system than ones criticizing my specific idea

it seemed like you didn't have any criticism of starters other than "it's old"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Bag of Milk posted:

I got pretty unhyped for Pokemon. I hoped they would mix things up in a significant way but from what we've seen of these new games they could have been released on the Wii like 12 years ago. Still doing fire/water/grass starters, tons of glacially slow animations, similar world design and layout to the old games, etc. Pokemon is just a slow rear end game with not enough surprises. I'm not upset since I'll always have plenty of other stuff to play, but at this point things look formulaic bordering on self-parody. Maybe I'll be proven wrong as more stuff is revealed but I'm not holding my breath.
not a personal jab at you or anything but what is it about video games and people always wanting the new ones to be completely different? like, if you want to play something that's completely different from pokémon there are actually a lot of games for you to try

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I also think it’s a problem that people want to change things up just to change things up. If you have a good idea fine but just change for changes sake is bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why change something that is undeniably perfect?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

not a personal jab at you or anything but what is it about video games and people always wanting the new ones to be completely different? like, if you want to play something that's completely different from pokémon there are actually a lot of games for you to try

I’m glad Breath of the Wild was exactly like every previous Zelda.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would like an option, even if its only NG+ or whatever, that lets you start the game with 6 pokemon of your choice from your bank.

Absolutely keep the starter system, thats very elegant design to ensure people have one beastly pokemon from the start that they can solo most of the game with if they choose to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Pokemon has always been about adding one or two new things per gen while keeping the core gameplay the exact same. Why mess with what works? Let's not forget that Hey You Pikachu/Eevee strayed somewhat from the formula, which kinda pissed some people off, and that was just a remake of Gen 1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It basically was, minus the fun.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i think a big part of why the pokemon series is slow to making changes is because how drat good they got the formula right from the first game. there's definitely been quality of life improvements that have a real 'how did we play for so long without this' effect looking back but stuff like the starters type set-up or the gym system haven't been touched all that much because there hasn't really been any reason to

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

i think a big part of why the pokemon series is slow to making changes is because how drat good they got the formula right from the first game. there's definitely been quality of life improvements that have a real 'how did we play for so long without this' effect looking back but stuff like the starters type set-up or the gym system haven't been touched all that much because there hasn't really been any reason to

There’s some QoL poo poo that seems to come and go. Playing through US now and it’s real loving dumb I still need to hold a button to run.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You know what game series "tried something new"?

Paper Mario :smithicide:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There are relics from the Game Boy days that I would like to see changed in a new Pokemon game. Specifically how little actual free movement there is. In most screens there's actually very little area you can walk, a lot of the game it feels like you're stuck on paths and sidewalks in small areas. I don't think full open world is a good idea, but larger areas where you can explore a bit while still being guided to the next thing would be a huge improvement, imo.

But the starter system is fantastic as is and should not be changed unless you have really much better idea. It elegantly explains the type system by presenting you with the three types with the most intuitive relationships. It creates an attachment to your first starter by giving you three good choices but only letting you pick one. It shows off the variety of Pokemon with three wildly different monsters, so even when you're wading through Pidgeys and Ratatas you know there's good stuff out there. It basically does everything right.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestheHammer posted:

:wrong:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s fair, not all the old Zeldas are fun either

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BotW's incredible success aside, I wouldn't say that there was ever anything wrong with the traditional Zelda formula. Sure, you knew what you were getting with each one, but every game was still fun to varying degrees. I blame the 8.8 Twilight Princess review for contributing to the belief that the series needed to be significantly shaken up. It really didn't.

On the other hand, without that review, we probably wouldn't have gotten BotW, so I'll take the really good game that goes along with the lie. I'd be down for a Zelda game that mixes the more "traditional" formula with the exploration-based BotW one.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 28, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Remake Zelda 2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Starter Pokemon is character builder. Build your own

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cavauro posted:

Remake Zelda 2

Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link From Breath of the Wild

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Leal posted:

You know what game series "tried something new"?

Paper Mario :smithicide:

There are people on these very forums who will pretend that Color Splash was an acceptable game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not only acceptable, the best in the series.

Best script, best humor, best level design, best graphics, best music, best map, best sidekick guide character, best puzzle and traversal mechanics

The others don't even come close except for having a more in depth battle system.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lol in depth battle system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you ignore what this videogame actually plays like its really good!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Instead of battles, you should catch Pokemon by solving Picross puzzles.

Also instead of starters, you start with a gun. You get to kill one person and steal their Pokemon and then you start your journey...to create your own Evil Team.

Also the big new legendary is Mr. Resetti.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Relevant Tangent posted:

There are people on these very forums who will pretend that Color Splash was an acceptable game.

Cause it was. If people can give Super Paper Mario a pass on it's gameplay then so can Color Splash.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not only acceptable, the best in the series.

Best script, best humor, best level design, best graphics, best music, best map, best sidekick guide character, best puzzle and traversal mechanics

The others don't even come close except for having a more in depth battle system.

terminal brain worms, tragic really

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I am not buying the new Pokemon game unless they finally make the drat creatures poop and when I step in it I make poop tracks everywhere I go and all the NPCs start gagging every time I walk near them.

That’s the one thing Pokemon is missing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Cause it was. If people can give Super Paper Mario a pass on it's gameplay then so can Color Splash.

Nobody is giving Super Paper Mario a pass for anything.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

TTYD was the best Paper Mario. Best mechanics and most amusing Luigi side story.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Your Computer posted:

Not completely different, but at least different enough that I don't feel like I'm playing the same game again. I think pokemon is at least 70-80% of the way there for me, and nothing else does the fundamental concepts as well. But it's as if every Mario game started with a single coin block followed by a goomba underneath a string of 5 blocks where one was a mushroom. Yes, this elegantly explains much of what you need to know in one screen, but the best games also have their own personal identities, even within franchises, imo. And this requires some meaningful degree of iteration, even if the design element that is being changed isn't broken. Again, this may relate to my personal preference of liking something new and interesting but perhaps a bit clunky over something polished and familiar. I concede pokemon fans fall largely into the latter camp there. I can see how the current design encourages that outlook - it's like visiting an old friend. I just wish he had some new stories to tell.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If you play an RPG for the story you can forgive the battle system. I grind in RPGs so that I can become powerful enough to stop thinking during random battles and trim the game down to the story + bosses.

I can't comment on Color Splash since I never had a Wii U to play it but it's definitely a game I want to play based on all the comments I've read on everything but the battle system.

EDIT: in this case "you" is "me." Not trying to say everyone plays RPGs like that, hell level 1 runs through jrpgs is a thing because some people like challenges. I don't.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 28, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Color splash has an okay story but the paper Mario stories are never great and mostly the same,

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's an amazing game for sure but it's a big enough departure from the other Zelda games that it could've just as well been a new/different franchise. And let's not pretend, in the Switch thread most of all, that people weren't and aren't still clamoring for a return to the standard Zelda formula.

maybe I'm just :spergin: but I don't understand why people are throwing around words like "formulaic" as if it's a bad thing. What I want in a new Super Mario game isn't a radical new and innovative way to experience video games, it's new levels and power ups to play with, y'know what I mean?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Nobody is giving Super Paper Mario a pass for anything.

That's all I need to hear.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Correct take-haver itt

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Relevant Tangent posted:

TTYD was the best Paper Mario. Best mechanics and most amusing Luigi side story.

You mean Super Paper Mario. TTYD was the GameCube one.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I only learned that Color Splash was a Paper Mario game about a month ago. I thought that series stopped at Sticker Star, which was also widely panned by fans of the series.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I had honestly never heard of Color Splash until just now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Weedle posted:

I had honestly never heard of Color Splash until just now

There was a whole console between the Wii and the Switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pfft, I know that. I HAD a 3ds, dude