Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I did a tour in the Navy and then crossed over to the coast guard so I have some pretty goofy stories. The coast guard is an odd duck. about half of the members are prior service, the other half is a weird mix of semi hippies and people who really should have joined a combat branch and have no idea what real danger is.

I'll write some stuff up tonight, but a lot of hilarity ensues when your OIC is an E7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hagop posted:

Going to de-lurk here for a sec as I have to use this trash far to often. Give Global Mapper a try, it's not free but it's stupid cheap, and it handles large lidar sets very well.

I use Global Mapper for converting formats, it's a bit feature-lite for me to use as a standalone GIS suite but it's amazing for making things other things.

Sorry thread, I don't think we have a GIS thread but I won't derail any further.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Memento posted:

Sorry thread, I don't think we have a GIS thread but I won't derail any further.

There’s a geoscience thread in SAL, but not one dedicated to GIS that I’ve noticed. Not sure if it would better in SAL, or Ask/Tell. There are enough different sub fields that some of us may not even be aware that some of the others exist (how many of you have worked with magnetometric data? :smithicide: ) and we could probably learn something from each other on top of showing people how GIS is used.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I don’t know why it randomly came back to me a couple of days ago but I remembered one of the times I was at the lovely Fort Dix DFAC that has some god forsaken close time of something like 1800 or 1830 but it was steak night so it couldn’t be that bad right? Well the people in front of me are getting whole, decent enough looking steaks and and I’m noticing the pan is running low. Well wouldn’t you know the guy in front of me got he last steak and there weren’t any more pans coming out. My consolation prize? A hotdog. I asked for two and they said no. An entire day of walking, crawling, shooting through the woods in the middle of a New Jersey summer and those pieces of poo poo fed me a single loving hot dog. loving hope that dump burns down with them in it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:lol: That's like the modernized Army version of "Please sir, can I have some more?"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Pretty sure my last unit made USAWTFM for the garbage meals they were feeding dudes in the field. Like half a scoop of eggs and one piece of bacon, that was it.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The Qatar DFAC got slightly Facebook infamous when I was there the morning they tried to serve up some green and grey turkey bacon. Stuff looked like sliced scabs more than anything else. Suddenly there were “surprise” food inspections the next day and public health started spamming messages about how inspection rates would go up, let’s all thank Airman snuffy for going above and beyond out there and making sure they don’t serve us rotted rear end meat. Fortunately that was right around the time we went forward to Iraq and got real pork bacon again and food service provided by people generally from the US/eastern Europe.

Africa we would generally eat super well since the base was so small they would fly in fresh ingredients and the DFAC had leeway to actually cook stuff up. Flip side of that was after it had been awhile and especially if a new food flight was delayed then it would be hotdogs and white rice for multiple meals and generally not cooked with the same care. Couldn’t complain too much though since the ODA guys had to live off the economy....in a place with almost no economy and the locals themselves were hungry. Word was those guys were losing massive weight and had essentially stopped exercising.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My favorite DFAC story was from Kandahar around '08-'09. KAF proper was being run by Canada at the time and had Supreme chow halls, which were serviceable but just kind of okay*. I arrived on Christmas Day so I pretty much had the best dinner on night one and it was downhill after. Meanwhile the ANA camp a mile down the road has a KBR DFAC that was the holiest of holies. Steak and shrimp nights and Rip-Its as far as the eye could see. We'd routinely take our one right-hand drive truck (I hated driving right-hand drive) down the road and do chow runs for our crew.

My last day on KAF was the Fourth of July. That day we got a message that effective tomorrow, folks from KAF couldn't eat at the ANA camp because they were feeding something like ten times as many people as they were set up for. I told my replacement that it sucks for him and got on a plane. Threaded the needle perfectly.

*Their breakfast was fairly legit, though, and taught me the wonderful thing that is shredded wheat with hot milk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I had it TOO chill at Lagman. Postage handler, first dibs on receiving (not stealing) mail, loving steaks and chickie fingers, mini px, even a loving green beans.

Just truly loving blessed that I have no idea why it was so good that sometimes I stay up all night and hate myself.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Wild T posted:

My favorite DFAC story was from Kandahar around '08-'09. KAF proper was being run by Canada at the time and had Supreme chow halls, which were serviceable but just kind of okay*. I arrived on Christmas Day so I pretty much had the best dinner on night one and it was downhill after. Meanwhile the ANA camp a mile down the road has a KBR DFAC that was the holiest of holies. Steak and shrimp nights and Rip-Its as far as the eye could see. We'd routinely take our one right-hand drive truck (I hated driving right-hand drive) down the road and do chow runs for our crew.

My last day on KAF was the Fourth of July. That day we got a message that effective tomorrow, folks from KAF couldn't eat at the ANA camp because they were feeding something like ten times as many people as they were set up for. I told my replacement that it sucks for him and got on a plane. Threaded the needle perfectly.

*Their breakfast was fairly legit, though, and taught me the wonderful thing that is shredded wheat with hot milk.

Go to the international section of your local supermarket and look for something called Weet-Bix

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Supposedly they're allowed to serve Pork in Qatar as of last October.

I would legit be interested in a GIS thread in A/T. I don't really want to make it myself because I've only had a real job doing it for a couple years.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve got a certificate in it, and am about to start my first real job with it :haw: I’ll think about making an OP later. Thread title something along the lines of “GIS and Cartography: here be dragons”.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

not caring here posted:

Go to the international section of your local supermarket and look for something called Weet-Bix

If they don’t have it just go to Home Depot and get a sheet of particle board, it’s pretty much the same thing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I find this statement accurate, but at lot of people love it.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

We were on the SF compound adjacent to Camp Slayer/Victory. Our DFAC all got mermited food but that poo poo was pretty delicious. Not to mention a sandwich bar.

But When we would have to go to Slayer after missions because our vehicles got hosed up and hit up the main DFAC, I realized our complex was pathetic in comparison to what the big bases have.

Still got Steak/Lobster every friday with rip-its hell yeah

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

protip half the people who ate the frozen lobster ended up making GBS threads and puking at the CSH that night

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

protip half the people who ate the frozen lobster ended up making GBS threads and puking at the CSH that night

What's life without a little danger?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We have a seafood Friday at the gold mine I work at. The gold mine that's more than a thousand kilometres from the nearest ocean.

I do not partake.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I once had sushi in Nebraska.

Once.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Rat posted:

I once had sushi in Nebraska.

Once.

I live in Nebraska and the last time I had sushi I'm 90% sure I got Anisakis. I was making GBS threads my brains out for 3-4 weeks.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

DEFAC adjacent- I remember when they first opened the BK on BIAP. We had to run a mission there, and took orders.
It was like 30+ whoppers and the same again chicken sandwiches.
Then came the shits afterwards, because we had been living off nothing but MREs and occasional tray rats. It was glorious, and hysterical.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I once loaded a medium-ish domino's pizza on top of about a week of MREs. Didn't even get to bask in the digestive afterglow before I ran to the porta shitter to give birth.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I have a fond memory of ratfucking an entire semi trailer full of food, because they'd sent enough to feed a battalion for two weeks, and it ended up being maybe two companies that ate from it, because the rest were too remote to send marmites to. The stuff was already paid for, and there was no plan for getting it back home, so the BC said have at it. One of the Staff Sergeants practically filled the bed of a humvee, because he had 4 kids and was like "gently caress it, do you know how much kids cost to feed?"

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 28, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That owns

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

I have a fond memory of ratfucking an entire semi trailer full of food, because they'd sent enough to feed a battalion for two weeks, and it ended up being maybe two companies that ate from it, because the rest were too remote to send marmites to. The stuff was already paid for, and there was no plan for getting it back home, so the BC said have at it. One of the Staff Sergeants practically filled the bed of a humvee, because he had 4 kids and was like "gently caress it, do you know how much kids cost to feed?"

Army: Sometimes we do good for bad reasons

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

not caring here posted:

Weetabix

It does look a lot like beaverboard, but I've never tried to eat either one.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Get that off brand rip off poo poo out of here.

https://www.amazon.com/Sanitarium-Weet-Bix-575g-Made-Australia/dp/B013A2IFJC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=weet+bix&qid=1551317529&s=grocery&sr=1-3

Punk rear end busta, I'm reppin' OG cardboard breakfast food over here.

I have no idea which was made first and I don't even eat it

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sanitarium is owned by the Jehovah's witnesses and pays no tax, just FYI.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the old game?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A Bad Poster posted:

Fuckin' pro move there.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

We used to donate a poo poo load of unused food to a local food shelter illegally. Also the uneaten salad went to the zoo in a trash bag.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goons in Platoons > Let's Talk About Idiots! The uneaten salad went to the zoo in a trash bag.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Goons in Platoons > Let's Talk About Idiots! The uneaten salad went to the zoo in a trash bag.

Well I mean that's one way to get your booty ate when you're feeling lonely

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Thank you for donating the food instead of burning it or whatever the regulations say to do.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The raven population at JBER ate very well from the dumpsters and pickup truck beds. I once saw a bald eagle fly off with a Burger King bag in its beak. I saluted it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I once saw a bald eagle fly off with a Burger King bag in its beak. I saluted it.

I legit lol’d

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Bad Poster posted:

The raven population at JBER ate very well from the dumpsters and pickup truck beds. I once saw a bald eagle fly off with a Burger King bag in its beak. I saluted it.

:911:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:freep:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

EBB posted:

I once loaded a medium-ish domino's pizza on top of about a week of MREs. Didn't even get to bask in the digestive afterglow before I ran to the porta shitter to give birth.

I've never met a better cure for constipation than Domino's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Coasterphreak posted:

I've never met a better cure for constipation than Domino's.

Burger King. Something about the stuff they add to the burgers, more effective then ex-lax.