Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy poo poo they are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Imagine being on the losing end of a revolt you twat

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If that mansion is slave built it should be repurposed into a museum and the gov moved into housing projects.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
How is it that people keep getting dumber and shittier as time goes on?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

Marijuana, despite its historical connections to the environment-loving counterculture movement of the 1960s, can be an extremely environmentally-damaging plant. Research estimates that indoor cannabis cultivation accounts for 1% of all electricity use across the US; growing cannabis outdoors often involves high levels of pesticides; and marijuana needs so much water, the plants are draining rivers dry in California.
A potential environmentally friendly alternative comes in the unexpected form of yeast: Scientists have genetically engineered the microscopic fungi to create all the crucial psychoactive ingredients of marijuana. In a paper published today (Feb. 27) in Nature, biomolecular engineers from University of California-Berkeley showed that they’d engineered yeast molecules to create both THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the main active ingredient of weed, which has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration to treat nausea from cancer medications and to improve appetites in AIDS patients), and CBD (another marijuana cannabinoid, which has FDA approval to treat a rare form of epilepsy.)
The team took the genes responsible for THC and CBD out of cannabis and implanted them into the same brewer’s yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, used to create bread and wine. “Once you’ve engineered it, you can grow out more of it,” says Jay Keasling, a Berkeley professor and co-author of the study. “The yeast is in our freezers and whenever we want to grow more, we take a sample, put it into sugar water with a few other nutrients. If you’ve got the right sugar in there, it will produce the cannabinoids.” (The “right sugar,” in this case, is galactose, as Keasling engineered the yeast to work with galactose sugar specifically.)
Genetically editing yeast to produce THC and CBD is cheaper than extracting the chemicals from cannabis plants. Keasling says he’ll be able to use his engineered yeast to create THC for less than $400 per kg, which is less than 1% of the cost of harvesting cannabis and extracting the THC. He’s already formed a company, Dimetrix, which holds the patent for THC- and CBD-producing yeast. Production costs are so low, he says, that the company should be able to make pure forms of THC and CBD more affordable to patients and consumers.
THC and CBD aren’t the only drug that can be produced by yeast: Brewer’s yeast can also be used to create insulin, and opioids such as codeine and morphine. And Keasling has experience in this area of bioengineering, having previously used yeast to create an anti-malarial drug, which led to a significant reduction in the cost of the drug.
The yeast can also be used to produce other cannabinoids that occur in cannabis, but which haven’t been studied to date as they only naturally exist in marijuana in such small doses that it’s too expensive to study their effects. And it’s possible to add chemicals to the yeast to create new, altered cannabinoids, which could potentially be used and studied for further effects. It turns out the humble yeast, long credited with giving us both bread and alcohol, is something of a drug-making machine.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

Must be a contagion. A little further north it infected a Maryland state house delegate.

quote:

She told another white lawmaker that when he campaigned in Prince George’s on behalf of a candidate last fall, he was door-knocking in a “n----- district"

Asked by The Post in early February whether she has ever used the slur, she said, “I’m sure I have. . . . I’m sure everyone has used it. I’ve used the f-word. I used the Lord’s name in vain.”

I mean doesn't everyone use racial slurs with their friends? Guys? Guys come on. We all do it right?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9d15_story.html

Some excellent salt from the Prince George's county reps in the article.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The world is doing the whole "On The Beach" thing but on a global scale while we wait for the final death of mankind

edit: If you haven't read or watched "On the Beach" do it, it's really cheery

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 28, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

mods changed my name posted:

The world is doing the whole "On The Beach" thing but on a global scale while we wait for the final death of mankind

Seconded! *tap tap tap*

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The ending seemed alright imo

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Its not really cheery at all. Did you even read the book? Everyone dies.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
no poo poo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Saint Celestine posted:

Everyone dies.

Fallom posted:

The ending seemed alright imo

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There is only one possible ending to human history, and it’s “everyone dies.”

Life is about the journey.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A Bad Poster posted:

Because we keep loving up EVERYTHING that helps and educates children.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

There is only one possible ending to human history, and it’s “everyone dies.”

Life is about the journey.

It sure would be nice if that history was longer rather than shorter though.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882048

THE HAT:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Looks gay as gently caress. Fail hat for fail people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Its not really cheery at all. Did you even read the book? Everyone dies.

Yeah but in a super chill way

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fordham confirmed that they received a threatening letter from Cohen telling them not to release Donnie's grades.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/02/27/scientists-just-pulled-co2-from-air-and-turned-it-into-coal/amp/

Have some good news in our current hellscape?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So we build a fleet of tens of thousands of nuclear reactors and use them to power these graphite precipation machines and uhhh... get all the actuaries to make the casualty insurance industry pay for it voluntarily.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's cool and all, and a good thing, but I bet you that the first use of that will be to reclaim it and sell it back as fuel, if it's efficient enough. The ultimate irony would be to use renewable energy to power that process. "Instead of using these wind farms and solar arrays to make power to sell to you, we will use them to pull coal from the air so we can sell that to you again."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

https://youtu.be/xpJ8EoGmLuE

They do not just shoot a tank.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

https://youtu.be/xpJ8EoGmLuE

They do not just shoot a tank.

They spend way too long being annoying for me to try and watch that

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If we're going to survive we're probably going to have to employ carbon capture to some degree or another. A solid form like coal sounds like a much better bet than pumping the gas into the ground, which is porous and the end result is that it ends up in your basement and suffocates you.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

If we're going to survive we're probably going to have to employ carbon capture to some degree or another. A solid form like coal sounds like a much better bet than pumping the gas into the ground, which is porous and the end result is that it ends up in your basement and suffocates you.

Plus we're still going to need coking coal to make steel, until we can find a solution to that problem, and thermal coal is a much more pressing matter. So, you ban the use of coal for power generation, start using carbon capture to create coal for coking, and then shut down mines (which themselves are terrible for the environment and the people who work in them, SHUT UP Virginia) as required until you're at the demand point for steel manufacturing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Don Dongington posted:

Plus we're still going to need coking coal to make steel, until we can find a solution to that problem, and thermal coal is a much more pressing matter. So, you ban the use of coal for power generation, start using carbon capture to create coal for coking, and then shut down mines (which themselves are terrible for the environment and the people who work in them, SHUT UP Virginia) as required until you're at the demand point for steel manufacturing.

Yes, but then we need to find an environmentally-friendly way to kill the people who want to work in mines.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Chichevache posted:

Yes, but then we need to find an environmentally-friendly way to kill the people who want to work in mines.

Burial people in mines, not graveyards.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Have you not heard of oxycontin

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Casimir Radon posted:

The only ethical form of carbon capture is burying every billionaire 600 feet under

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidNakamura/status/1100995164632313856

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1100997292180422656

Oh no, perhaps your favorite President (me) and large adult son are not getting along

Edit https://twitter.com/AP/status/1101006225376866305

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 28, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who could have seen this coming. WHO?!?1

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Really want DJT to invite KJU over to the WH to have some burgers like the Clemson team backup players ate

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Sounds like KJU was pushing for sanctions relief and wouldn't budge on some of the nuclear sites that the US wanted to address so the whole thing fell apart. Plus,

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1101025721248595969

:chaostrump:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Kim probably told trump that Otto was a Hillary voter lmao

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Something went very, very wrong for the narcissistic pissbaby to not get his handshake film footage and signing ceremony.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
President Deals tried to give away the farm and ended up getting nothing.

Welcome to dealing with North Korea :toot:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1101106025770483712?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

bird food bathtub posted:

Something went very, very wrong for the narcissistic pissbaby to not get his handshake film footage and signing ceremony.

Like, they could have signed a lease agreement for an apartment in Denver and the headline above the image would be "Trump Ends Korean War" on Meemaw's timeline.

How did this not happen.