Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"Sunlight is the best disinfectant" *gives Blair Cotrell a panel show*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Don Dongington posted:

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant" *gives Blair Cotrell a panel show*

Hello and welcome to 14/88 where our panel of 14 experts answers questions from 88 members of the public.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If Ita Buttrose has anything to do with Studio 10's content hold on for the ABC to become All Boomer Content

but its already all boomer content

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

im alan jones posted:

but its already all boomer content

730 does weekly "oh woe is we" segments on how boomers are being screwed by the cooling of the housing market. ABC can't be any more boomer outside of repeating their old 1970s programming

"That Aunty Jack show, what a breath of fresh air it is"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If you are looking for "boomer bait", the ABC will now start commissioning Australian Content in the form of historical dramas with lots of petticoats and moustaches and brave white men with English accents taming the rugged savage land. (There may or may not be an aboriginal child in the background somewhere.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm rewatching Frontline and they do a puff piece with Ugly Dave the legendary television personality lmao. Nothing ever changes.

Also the series kicks off with an Imran likes to root joke and now he's threatening me with nuclear annihilation. Still as relevant as it was in 1994.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The episode about the scientist who isn't racist is really odd in hindsight because the person the character is based on (Charles Murray) is the turbo-racist arsehole they present him as.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Does anyone remember that absolute garbage show she used to be on in the 90s, beauty and the beast? it was her and this now-dead shock jock Stan Zemanek having culture war hot take sessions before twitter made it ubiquitous.

Unfortunately I do, and it was indeed garbage.

edit: LMAO

https://twitter.com/OzProtectionist/status/1100848035276320776

dun dun DUN

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 28, 2019

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Vatican posted:

https://brisbanecatholic.org.au/articles/archbishop-marks-homily-for-the-7th-sunday-in-ordinary-time-year-c/

Archbishop Mark Coleridge delivered this homily at the Mass for the Vatican summit on the protection of minors in the Church. Pope Francis celebrated the Mass, which was held in the Sala Regia, Apostolic Palace on Sunday, 24 February, 2019.

High level clergy are being arrested in their home countries and now there is a power vacuum in the Vatican. We had a royal commission, in some states of the US they are bringing out prohibition era laws to clean out the dioceses (the old guard are on the run in the US as well). Marky mark and the funky bunch had a big pow wow and this homily helps illuminate the new approach. Mark Coleridge was a good pick because the laity in Brisbane in particular are very vocal and active about (lower case r) reformation. If the Vatican and Mark Coleridge give the Brisbane laity (and like minded Catholics) a bigger role then we might even end up with a Vatican 3 in our lifetimes.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I don't think that ozprotectionist account is all that funny. Sorry everyone.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

You Am I posted:

As a Centralia I think the coal mine is still on fire

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amethyst posted:

The post itself isn't that funny, but getting Cousens to go nuts is viewable content.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Agree but I acknowledge they’ve done a good job harassing Daisy Cousins

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I get this reference

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Noted bastion of hilarity, Amethyst

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
nah their responses to her afterwards are very good

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1099598596343705601

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Right isn't unified on Pell

SMH posted:

Sydney shock jock Ray Hadley has taken aim at former Liberal prime ministers John Howard and Tony Abbott over their show of support for George Pell in the wake of his conviction for child sexual abuse, declaring they had made "gross errors of judgment".

In an excoriating attack, Hadley accused the two former prime ministers of showing "a complete lack of understanding" of the victims of paedophiles, and implied Mr Abbott's actions could cost him his seat in Federal Parliament at the election.

It was revealed in court on Wednesday that Mr Howard provided a character reference for Pell following his conviction in December, in which he praised the Cardinal as "a person of both high intelligence and exemplary character".

Mr Abbott phoned Pell on Tuesday when the guilty verdict became public, and told 2GB radio the Cardinal remained a "friend". He said it was possible to make "very harsh judgments" on Pell at this time but he would await the outcome of the appeal.

Mr Abbott is a regular guest on Hadley's program and Hadley restated his admiration for the former prime ministers. He said they may be vindicated after the appeal, but in the interim their statements were premature and out of line.

"It's impossible to put ourselves in the position of the jury because they're the only ones who heard that evidence," Hadley said on air on Thursday morning.

In particular, he said Mr Howard went "way over the top" in providing a glowing reference for Pell.

"There's no mention of any victims in Mr Howard's reference, and I think that doesn't bring any great credit to the former prime minister," Hadley said.

"Mr Howard is someone I respect hugely, but this gushing reference, in my opinion, was over the top. He obviously believes Mr Pell and thinks the victim to be a liar. I really am struggling to get a grip on it."

"He could have offered a reference about his knowledge of George Pell prior to the conviction ... but he hasn't done that. He's gone way beyond that. I think he's over-stepped the mark."

Hadley has long used his radio program to draw attention to the crimes of paedophiles and criticise what he views as a reluctance to confront the issue publicly. He said Mr Howard and Mr Abbott's failure to understand the issue went beyond the Pell case.

"They hide their crimes. They con their victims. They con the victims' families. Paedophiles con their families, their friends and their colleagues," Hadley said.

"It's my opinion that Mr Howard and Mr Abbott have made gross errors of judgment.

"Mr Howard and Mr Abbott in my opinion have shown a complete lack of understanding of victims of paedophiles. Not just in the case we're talking about now, but generally."

Hadley noted the two former prime ministers were "powerful figures in our community" and said: "I think it would have been more prudent to allow justice to take its course before a public exhibition of their support for a now-convicted paedophile."

Hadley noted Mr Abbott faced a difficult contest to hold on to his Sydney seat of Warringah at the forthcoming federal election and observed: "His electorate would be looking at all this at the moment and scratching their heads".

The radio host also took aim at Pell's barrister, Robert Richter, QC, for his remarks during a sentencing submission in which he described Pell's offending as "no more than a plain vanilla sexual penetration case".

These were "outrageous claims", Hadley said. "What planet is the learned QC inhabiting?"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hadley doesn't work for News Corpse, in fact hated working for Sky, so that's probably why his playing his own tune

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This summer was officially the hottest ever recorded.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

Hadley doesn't work for News Corpse, in fact hated working for Sky, so that's probably why his playing his own tune

Yeah he works for 2GB which is partially owned by Nine.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

You Am I posted:

I get this reference

oh good

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

JBP posted:

This summer was officially the hottest ever recorded.

Still is. 38 today in Adelaide, 40 tomorrow and Saturday. The calendar can say what it likes but if it's that hot it's still summer to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GotLag posted:

Still is. 38 today in Adelaide, 40 tomorrow and Saturday. The calendar can say what it likes but if it's that hot it's still summer to me.

It's also predicted to be the hottest autumn.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Then the hottest and driest winter, etc etc etc death of all life on this planet

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i went through daisys twitter and she has a video about how after going to a gun range she now thinks australias gun laws are bad :cripes:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Finally, the opinion I needed on this Pell conviction:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/flavor-flav-george-pell/

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

JBP posted:

It's also predicted to be the hottest autumn.

Brisbane actually managed to avoid the heatwave this year, but if we get it next year that might finally be the push I need to move to Tassie.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

i went through daisys twitter and she has a video about how after going to a gun range she now thinks australias gun laws are bad :cripes:

Guns are fun to shoot and I should be able to shoot them whenever and however I want.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

let them fight

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turks posted:

Brisbane actually managed to avoid the heatwave this year, but if we get it next year that might finally be the push I need to move to Tassie.

The trough is in the perfectly worst place here, its been 33-36c days so far this week. The bad news is that it's not really going to change until maybe late next week.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Global warming will hit a negative feedback loop soon when all the humans start dying, so dw about it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Note he's saying this could cost Abbott his seat instead of, you know, everything else

Interesting how he's said that after polls show that Abbott is probably hosed. As for Howard, sometimes Hadley says good things? Rarely?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I still find it silly that the Coalition paid 200k to a global recruitment talent agency to find a new ABC chair only to not use nor wait for their finalised shortlist.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I still find it silly that the Coalition paid 200k to a global recruitment talent agency to find a new ABC chair only to not use nor wait for their finalised shortlist.

Seriously that is a BAU response from this lovely government

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Use your sources to find out who the coalition knows in relation to that company, and see where the money went.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Hello and welcome to 14/88 where our panel of 14 experts answers questions from 88 members of the public.

:yeah:

Turks posted:

Guns are fun to shoot and I should be able to shoot them whenever and however and at whomever I want.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Turks posted:

Guns are fun to shoot and I should be able to shoot them whenever and however I want.

:frogout:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turks posted:

move to america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

move to america

You guys are rude and bad readers.