Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress, how long does the battery last?

With the new 5G chips, most of a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe around a week? A very niche device, but I can see good uses for it. I still can't let go of my original moto z play with the battery mod because it lasts 3 whole days on one charge.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
thicc af

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It has like 50 days of stand by time hahaha

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I could imagine the thiccphone being useful for people who work outdoors all day, and who would be handling it with protective gloves - so it's surprising that the power/volume buttons aren't larger, and centred on the side of the device.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Hey, STFU about brick phone. Before the flip phone days, cell phones used to be around that big. If that extreme amount of battery life made my quality life any better, I'd buy it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bring back the Zack Morris phone

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

ijii posted:

Hey, STFU about brick phone. Before the flip phone days, cell phones used to be around that big. If that extreme amount of battery life made my quality life any better, I'd buy it.

Chubby chaser over here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ijii posted:

Thicc my phone, daddy

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mobby_6kl posted:

Hopefully all the assholes that constantly complain about thin phones with short battery life are happy now.

Is it Android One?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882958&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

This goon is selling their S9 for $350. Maybe they can bend on price a little if you ask?

Noticed that - normally I'm not keen on Samsung; Touchwiz and carrier bloat tend to take up tons of RAM and in the past, I've rooted/installed custom firmware, but that tends to create additional weird problems down the line.

An S9 might be a good holdover for a bit - worth some thought.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I picked up an s9+ and so far I haven't gotten Samsung'd. One UI seems fine but I swapped it out for nova launcher pretty quick anyway for more flexibility. The phone runs well and seems less bloated than my previous S7 was. I think a cheap s9 is a good holdover.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's no trace of TouchWiz on the 9 series, and whatever they did with OneUI is pretty nice and has some cool features without getting in the way. After using a Note9 for a while, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it except to perhaps

dont be mean to me posted:

Is it Android One?

No, but this one has a sliding qwerty keyboard!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/27/f-x-tec-pro-1-qwerty-keyboard-phone-hands-on/#/

:getin:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I moved to Sony after the S3 because the Android was so clean and had minimal bloat when compared to Samsung at the time.

Moved to the S9 last year and it's fine in that regard. Only had to disable a couple of things (like Facebook/flipboard).

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s10-pre-orders-galaxy-buds-960768/

what the heck! samsunged before the phone even ships

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I hate that the Galaxy Fold isn’t being used to make a traditional flip phone. It flips the wrong way! :argh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ratbert90 posted:

I hate that the Galaxy Fold isn’t being used to make a traditional flip phone. It flips the wrong way! :argh:

But then how could Samsung continue selling their three-thousand-dollar Android flip phones?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ratbert90 posted:

It's rumored Moto is going a new razor like this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Sammy has already made "traditional" flip phones with Android in them.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_folder2-9331.php
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9230_galaxy_golden-5814.php

LG also had one that ran on Lollipop.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Anyone else having an issue where texts get old texts and pictures added to them without your knowledge until it's sent?

LG g7 thinq, tmo, the stock google messaging app.

Just sent a nude to a group chat, so uh, I'd like that to not happen again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Anyone else having an issue where texts get old texts and pictures added to them without your knowledge until it's sent?

LG g7 thinq, tmo, the stock google messaging app.

Just sent a nude to a group chat, so uh, I'd like that to not happen again.

Uhhhh

What

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lewd Groupchat

(literal garbage)

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhhhh

What

I only sent the picture of the cereal, but this is what my wife got

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but I did not intend to send the nude.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mobby_6kl posted:

There's no trace of TouchWiz on the 9 series, and whatever they did with OneUI is pretty nice and has some cool features without getting in the way. After using a Note9 for a while, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it except to perhaps

No, but this one has a sliding qwerty keyboard!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/27/f-x-tec-pro-1-qwerty-keyboard-phone-hands-on/#/

:getin:

It's a better Blackberry than Blackberry's.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Didn't Samsung have the same accidental sexting bug? Might be the same issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but I did not intend to send the nude.

Hahaha wtf I haven't heard of that issue. Sorry for your penis exposure.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
^^ I'd feel better about that, because this was a mutual friend's tits instead.

isndl posted:

Didn't Samsung have the same accidental sexting bug? Might be the same issue.

Yeah, I've been able to get it to reliably happen once I hit the limit into mms. The android messages app might not be safe for you all, either.

And it's either tmo, or Google itself hosed up implementing rcs in their messaging app.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Sammy has already made "traditional" flip phones with Android in them.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_folder2-9331.php
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9230_galaxy_golden-5814.php

LG also had one that ran on Lollipop.

Except those don't fold open to a pure LCD screen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

It's rumored Moto is going a new razor like this.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/27/motorola-confirms-its-foldable-phone-is-coming/?utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morningafter

Yep, and I'd say it's more than a rumor, they have their VP of Products say that they've been working on it and don't intend to be late to the party.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The Moto G7 seems to have launched in the US, estimated delivery is March 6 for purchase right now: https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-gen-7

If you're on Verizon, this is probably the default budget option even though it's not Android One.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Holy poo poo this gave me an anxiety attack

Edit: M A J E S T I C

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

It was always "while supplies last" like every other promo ever.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
My exclamation point and question marks switch places on my Gboard on a pixle 2, seemingly at random. What setting might be making this happen?

This is the exclamation point and question mark above the keyboard that popup after you hit space after a word.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I basically can't think of anyone that I text who would be surprised if I drunkenly sent them a dick pic by mistake, so I'm not worried. Cost of knowing me.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

How the gently caress does this even happen? You need to actually own an S10 to even register for this deal. You literally have to download an app on your S10 to register. And all supplies are exhausted before the phone even ships? They literally only had enough supplies to cover their promotional phones? Samsunged indeed.

EDIT: According to the fine print, only 132,000 earbuds were available? lol

Nalin fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 1, 2019

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Looks like the Nokia 9 camera isn't going to be as great as it was cracked up to be. I like how naturalistic the sample photos look but they're no more detailed than the Pixel 3. It would have been great if they could have managed some more powerful sensors or something. Also, no wide angle? :S

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'll settle for "as good as" a Pixel 3, given that it's cheaper with more ram, and no notch.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry to dredge up old topics on an old device: My Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 is real hosed up. :( I keep it on my bedside table plugged into the wall (with OEM charger and cable) and was reading it this morning in bed. I unplugged it to bring it with me as I got ready and the screen went black: the battery had discharged from 100% down to 0%. It boot looped a couple times, so I figured I'd turn it off and let it charge up to full.
  • When I turned it on at 100%, it still boot looped, showing the Galaxy splash screen, then the Samsung one for a while, then abruptly going back to black > Galaxy > Samsung, etc.
  • I entered the service menu and cleared whatever cache was mentioned there; that didn't help.
  • I tried entering safe mode, but that didn't work at all: I couldn't seem to access it.
  • Kies is finicky. I don't think I can get the device to stay on long enough for it to connect and do whatever it does. I tried the emergency firmware recovery option, gave it the model and serial numbers, but it said my device wasn't eligible/compatible with that option.
  • Eventually I found the stock firmware and used the Odin interface to flash it onto my tablet. The process went flawlessly, and before long I reached the "Android is now updating..." dialog as it went through all my apps.
But it's still stuck in a boot loop. I've heard that sometimes you should just let it loop x amount of times and eventually it'll stick, so for now I've just plugged it into the wall so it can loop its rear end off. I can't imagine that's healthy, though.

Even though most of my stuff is on the SD card, I haven't tried a factory reset because there's one lousy onboard app whose data I'd really, really like to recover first. If there's a way to access the onboard storage while the thing's in the service menu or something...but I'm not holding my breath. :smith:

This li'l workhorse has been very good to me over the years, and this behavior comes totally out of the blue. Is there anything else I can try that wouldn't nuke my personal data? Thanks in advance.

eta: I just learned that the SD card may be causing it to boot loop. I removed the card and it kept looping; I turned off the device and turned it back on with the card still out and it started looping again. So no dice there, either.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 1, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have an opportunity, through my provider, to get a Pixel 2XL for nothing down, and only an extra $15/month for two years. Worth it? Does the Pixel 2XL have some hidden, terrible bug? I'm currently on an LG G4, and while I haven't bootlooped in the 3+ years, my battery life is getting worse and worse all the time, so I'm due for a new phone anyway. Figured I'd go with a Pixel, but wanted to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Looks like the Nokia 9 camera isn't going to be as great as it was cracked up to be. I like how naturalistic the sample photos look but they're no more detailed than the Pixel 3. It would have been great if they could have managed some more powerful sensors or something. Also, no wide angle? :S

Is there a review out?