Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It has so many uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Entropic posted:

It's especially hilarious because no one believes the Conservatives would have done things any differently had they been the party in power right now. I mean, other than be more competent at keeping their people in line to keep the dirt hidden.

Yeah if this happened on Harpers watch then his AG simply would’ve done what he’s told. JWR decided to grow a conscience and torpedo the govt on an eve of the election.

I don’t give a drat about this scandal I just don’t want the voters to kick out the liberals and give us a Scheer govt until the NDP get their poo poo together.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t give a drat about this scandal I just don’t want the voters to kick out the liberals and give us a Scheer govt until the NDP get their poo poo together.

Well all hail eternal emperor potato man because lol at the NDP ever getting their poo poo together.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Like jesus I just can't imagine how anyone can look at Scheer and vote for him. He doesn't just lack positive qualities, he lacks any qualities.

It's like they took the Neutral President from Futurama except he also hates immigrants, minorities, and the poor.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

linoleum floors posted:

Yeah or we could just expect corporations to obey the law and prosecute them when they break it.
Obviously but we all know that’s not going to happen.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

sitchensis posted:

I live in BC and I might just vote Green this election. gently caress everyone, gently caress you, gently caress this.
The federal Greens suck rear end and are not even worthy of a protest vote until they get rid of EMay (they will never get rid of EMay)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah if this happened on Harpers watch then his AG simply would’ve done what he’s told. JWR decided to grow a conscience and torpedo the govt on an eve of the election.

The election is more than 6 months away. Calm down

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

THC posted:

The election is more than 6 months away. Calm down

To be fair the former AG just went in front of the Justice committee and said "The PM and his senior staff asked me to do crimes with them", which is kind of a biggie.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

THC posted:

The federal [party] sucks rear end and is not even worthy of a protest vote until they get rid of [leader] (they will never get rid of [leader])

FTFY

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Just vote Marxist leninist. The greens are too mainstream now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SNC was building loving mega prisons in the Libyan desert so they can eat poo poo and die. All of their executives should be in jail. Peter Munk's remains should also be exhumed and put on trial.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Plot twist: Trudeau resigns; Jody Wilson-Raybould is appointed PM.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

SNC was building loving mega prisons in the Libyan desert so they can eat poo poo and die. All of their executives should be in jail. Peter Munk's remains should also be exhumed and put on trial.

I dont get why this isnt everyones first reaction. Theyre a company full of monsters profiting by aiding monsters around the globe.

Instead its "But JOBS" :psyduck:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Furnaceface posted:

I dont get why this isnt everyones first reaction. Theyre a company full of monsters profiting by aiding monsters around the globe.

And it’s not like this is something new. SNC’s contracts in Libya and other bad locations was never something that was hidden. Occasionally you’d get a brief news story about some student group protesting to have their university divest from investing in SNC but that’s about it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

They’ve already gotten in trouble for bribing people in Libya, Panama, and Montreal. They supposedly have an internal accounting code for bribes. Their entire business runs on bribes and it’s been public knowledge for 10+ years.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

sitchensis posted:

We could use a First Nations PM.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Starks posted:

They’ve already gotten in trouble for bribing people in Libya, Panama, and Montreal. They supposedly have an internal accounting code for bribes. Their entire business runs on bribes and it’s been public knowledge for 10+ years.

Yes but if we don't profit from committing crimes against vulnerable people in poor, struggling nations, someone else will come along and grab the opportunity to export misery from us.

This is literally the argument Trudeau used to defend selling APCs to the Saudis so that they can murder Yemenis and dissidents more efficiently.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Scheer blew his load too early. Singh had the better approach in only calling for a public inquiry. When someone is loving up you hold back and them screw themselves up.

Anyway I'm sure the opposition will make an issue out of this for months leading up into the election where it'll reappear in all sorts of ads that highlight Trudeau's various lies and connections to big business.

The best political move at this point for the Liberals is a caucus coup, forcing Trudeau and Morneau to resign and installing I dunno, Chrystia Freeland as PM.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

sitchensis posted:

I think that's what's she's going for. The first party anyways. She hasn't quit the liberals and she wouldn't say that JT has her confidence. She's saying "I didn't do anything wrong, why should I leave? You leave." Then we can finally get marc garneau in there and I'm in heaven.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

eXXon posted:

This is literally the argument Trudeau used to defend selling APCs to the Saudis so that they can murder Yemenis and dissidents more efficiently.

These two things are very comparable, and I hope they form the first and last data point any fence-sitters need when deciding what they think of this clusterfuck of a government.

This Is Who They Are.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I think that's what's she's going for. The first party anyways. She hasn't quit the liberals and she wouldn't say that JT has her confidence. She's saying "I didn't do anything wrong, why should I leave? You leave." Then we can finally get marc garneau in there and I'm in heaven.

He's got his head in the clouds!

But seriously, what are his policies? We can't just elect astronauts because they're astronauts.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

strong take: https://twitter.com/cselley/status/1100956238395760641

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

Did you miss the part where we we're selling armoured vehicles to the Saudis and wanted to sell helicopters to the Philippines?

Profiting by aiding monsters around the globe is not exactly outside of the Canadian oeuvre

e: also our history with global south resource extraction

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 28, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

NEVER 👏 ELECT 👏 LIBERALS 👏
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1100961106720219138?s=21

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

We can't just elect astronauts because they're astronauts.

Can't get that worse of results than what we're doing now. Maybe we just try it for a bit and see how it goes? I wouldn't bet on it though, Garneau's almost 70 now. I still think you're all being too hard on Trudeau. Everytime someone brings up bad deficits, ya trot out "ooh but the debt to gdp ratio is good" and then you flip out when he's busting his balls to keep that gdp part of the equation high. Guy deserves a medal for having to put up with this.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mr. Apollo posted:

:confused: I’m not apologizing for anyone. The reality is that there are places where bribing is an openly acknowledged way of doing business. It’s pretty hypocritical to encourage companies to do business in “risky locations” by offering them them financing and insurance and then act surprised when it becomes public that they had to bribe people to get the work. Of course everyone knew what was going on. It would be better just to say “don’t do business here” rather than put in place rules and regulations that you know will be circumvented or just plain ignored.

lol what the gently caress is this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Did you miss the part where we we're selling armoured vehicles to the Saudis and wanted to sell helicopters to the Philippines?

Profiting by aiding monsters around the globe is not exactly outside of the Canadian oeuvre

e: also our history with global south resource extraction

We tried to sell weapons to the Thai military junta as well, but that one got torpedoed when Dion accidentally let slip that it was a brand-new agreement and the Liberals wouldn't be able to pin it on Harper.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also there are some really telling bits in JWR's testimony:

quote:

Wilson-Raybould said the pressure escalated later that month with contacts from PMO officials. Butts and Trudeau's chief of staff Katie Telford "summoned" Prince to a Dec. 18 meeting, saying the situation was getting worse and that they felt she wasn't doing anything about it.

According to Wilson-Raybould's testimony, Telford suggested they could line up people to write op-eds to say what she was doing was "proper."

Liberals and media hand-in-hand

quote:

The prime minister cited potential job losses and the possible move by the company, and asked her to "help out." The clerk then made the case for a DPA and reminded her that there was an election coming in Quebec.

"At that point, the prime minister jumped in, stressing that there is an election in Quebec, and that 'I am an MP in Quebec, the MP for Papineau,'" she recounted. 'I was quite taken aback."

That "non-partisan" head of the public service who testified against her was one of the people pressuring her to do the DPA, and also Trudeau was scared that he might lose his own seat if they prosecuted SNC-Lavalin

quote:

Wilson-Raybould recounted an Oct. 26, 2018, conversation between her chief of staff Jessica Prince and PMO adviser Mathieu Bouchard, who was still pressing the option of an alternative to prosecution for SNC-Lavalin and suggesting an external legal opinion.

She told the committee that Prince told Bouchard this would be perceived as interference and the attorney general questioning Roussel's decision.

"Mathieu said that if — six months from the election — SNC announces they are moving their headquarters out of Canada, that is bad. He said, 'We can have the best policy in the world, but we need to be re-elected,'" Wilson-Raybould testified.

basically the Liberal Party slogan right there, except they don't actually care about having good policy

(I took these from the CBC story on it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilson-raybould-testifies-justice-committee-1.5035219 )

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Everytime someone brings up bad deficits, ya trot out "ooh but the debt to gdp ratio is good" and then you flip out when he's busting his balls to keep that gdp part of the equation high. Guy deserves a medal for having to put up with this.

Who are you talking to here?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is all well and good but who’s running for the ndp in my riding.

If they can’t get their poo poo together I’m still voting liberal come the fall.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

JawKnee posted:

lol what the gently caress is this

I mean it's a fair point that probably every company that ever did business with Gaddafi-run Libya paid some sort of bribe but the takeaway should maybe be prosecute 'em all?

This kind of thing is a hell of a lot more widespread than you might think. SNC might have been a lot more blatant about it but yeah, from what I've heard you can probably file the majority of Canadian companies who have done business in one of the BRICs with 'Paid some sort of bribe at some point'.

Sure it might not be as obvious as a suitcase full of bills, but I've heard stories. Things like "You want your product to be able to be sold in China? Well you have to take this official and that official out to dinner. Oh and bring a gift, he really likes this thousand dollar bottle of scotch. Better bring two or three to be polite. It's also his wife's birthday and she loves this one diamond necklace" kind of thing. And until you do whoops, looks like you don't meet these incredibly specific regulations for the Chinese market that seem tailor made to block your product specifically and you can't seem to find any record of publically.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 28, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean it's a fair point that probably every company that ever did business with Gaddafi-run Libya paid some sort of bribe but the takeaway should maybe be prosecute 'em all?

This kind of thing is a hell of a lot more widespread than you might think. SNC might have been a lot more blatant about it but yeah, from what I've heard you can probably file the majority of Canadian companies who have done business in one of the BRICs with 'Paid some sort of bribe at some point'.

Imprison every Canadian mining executive imo

confiscate their assets

nationalize the Munk School

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Who are you talking to here?

Toronto Star subscribers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Outside of the Star are any Canadian media outlets really left leaning? National Post is a garbage fire that occasionally allows a dissenting voice to write an op-ed, but it and what seems like every other major news outlet in the country seem to be on lockstep condemning any thought deemed even marginally progressive. Even the Star's idea of "left" just means an even handed approach.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
One part of this that the thread and general media seem to be missing is that the Liberals passed the DPA amendment to the Criminal Code in the budget bill, with seemingly the specific intention to use it to spare SNC Lavalin. No wonder they are so pissed at JWR.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Furnaceface posted:

Let me tell you the story of Canadian mining companies...

e: well I should have read the next page, beaten twice :smith:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 28, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

thehoodie posted:

One part of this that the thread and general media seem to be missing is that the Liberals passed the DPA amendment to the Criminal Code in the budget bill, with seemingly the specific intention to use it to spare SNC Lavalin. No wonder they are so pissed at JWR.

It was mentioned upthread that SNC Lavalin were lobbying extremely hard for that amendment, for obvious reasons.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I thought the only reason it needed to exist in the first place was to bail out SNC-L.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Outside of the Star are any Canadian media outlets really left leaning? National Post is a garbage fire that occasionally allows a dissenting voice to write an op-ed, but it and what seems like every other major news outlet in the country seem to be on lockstep condemning any thought deemed even marginally progressive. Even the Star's idea of "left" just means an even handed approach.

Well, most Canadian news outlets are run by the same American investment bankers, so you're right. To answer your question though, The Tyee is small and BC-centric but good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

scheer is somehow even more unlikable than trudeau so it's a tough call there