Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Back Hack posted:

Cannibalism can cause diseases that can have drastic on human brain chemistry and behavior. A lot of the big ones are pretty similar to rabies.

These things. So yeah, it's not too far fetched

New patch with "misc" and "other" fixes out

quote:

Update 26th February 2019

Build numbers:

Steam build (verify in-game from Main Menu Options or Pause menu) – 1.0.0.2
Steam Store/exe version – 3586168

Patch Notes:

General Stability improvements
Improved performance for integrated video cards
General input responsiveness improvements
Fixed various issues with general saving system
Fixed other general issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so whats the story with the goverment bunker. did they all just go canibal or is this commentary on oligarchs. why do they have a bunch of weird inbred fighters.

If they’re taking inspiration from the books at all that would certainly be a valid reading. The author has some things to say about the past, present, and future Russian state. Like, in Metro 2033 the book the Kremlin was hit by chemical and biological weapons in additional to nuclear. This created a massive flesh blob in the basement (just go with it). The blob forms a connection with the Kremlin Stars, symbols put on top of several towers in the fortress, and sustains itself by compelling anybody who looks at the Stars for too long to enter the Kremlin and jump into the mass. If you’re just nearby you’ll also be compelled.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The new patch is for consoles as well? The ammo scarcity, general tension, and just the incredible amount of detail everywhere you look is making this extremely good. Just drat is this a good survival shooter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so whats the story with the goverment bunker. did they all just go canibal or is this commentary on oligarchs. why do they have a bunch of weird inbred fighters.

There's some documents scattered around. The short version is that it wasn't quite finished when the war started, it was full of construction crew rather than government. The food supplies also weren't in place, possibly due to embezzlement. The workers were trapped due to the radiation outside and turned to cannibalism, and later used the radio to lure in refugees. Prion diseases ravaged the population, leading to their cyrrent state.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Fuuuck that Terminal. I can’t play this with headphones anymore. But finally rolling out of there in the car, mask nearly shattered, running low on ammo, and only 2:00 of filter left was truly a feeling. This game owns.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I loved the lore and slight mysticism of the metro and the tunnels but it feels lost in this game. It kind of felt like they midichloria'd the ghost to just be radiation hallucinations?

Miller blames the radiation, but there are psychic monsters about and the same high pitched ringing as 2033 when the dark ones were trying to communicate, so I understood it to really be a psychic thing (I was actually thinking maybe the dark ones had come here after Last Light and that's what the noise was before I got close to the blind librarian things). But I hated Khan's magical river of poo poo in Last Light and I'm glad there's nothing explicitly supernatural like that in Exodus

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 27, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Thought the game was good and had what I expect in a Metro game which will always make it at least a "good" game, but agree with the points that the dialogue tended to just go on way too long, and the open areas felt kinda bare and exploration unrewarding. The best part of the game was exploring the Metro with Miller which I think says a lot about where the strengths of this game lie.

Also I too felt the nights were too bright but then I actually went into the settings and set the Gamma to the recommended level (it defaulted to the max for some reason) and then they were actually super dark and you really needed that NV.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 27, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Just Chamber posted:

Thought the game was good and had what I expect in a Metro game which will always make it at least a "good" game, but agree with the points that the dialogue tended to just go on way too long, and the open areas felt kinda bare and exploration unrewarding. The best part of the game was exploring the Metro with Miller which I think says a lot about where the strengths of this game lie.

Also I too felt the nights were too bright but then I actually went into the settings and set the Gamma to the recommended level (it defaulted to the max for some reason) and then they were actually super dark and you really needed that NV.

the biggest issues i had was some parts just went on for way to long. like anything with spiders and how every single switch was broken and you needed to gently caress around with poo poo. that and the boat section at the end was annoying as gently caress. i'll probaly start another play through eventually and aim for the good ending.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. Can't find this anywhere. How do you modify/clean etc weapons on PC? I can make make filters/ammo/medkits, but can't select the weapons/armor tabs at the top, which is what I think I need.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. Can't find this anywhere. How do you modify/clean etc weapons on PC? I can make make filters/ammo/medkits, but can't select the weapons/armor tabs at the top, which is what I think I need.
you need to use a proper work table. either back on the train or out in the safehouses in the wilderness.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Unable there either. What's the command to do it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The way it should work is you click on the picture of the revolver up the top of the screen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dominoes posted:

You should be able to change weapon attachments at any time.

You clean weapons at workbenches in safehouses (Home icon on the map after you discover them). You can craft regular ammo at the work bench. You can change armor mods at the workbenche.

Why you can’t select the icons uh, :shrug: I’m sorry to say. There have been times where I wasn’t able to use a bed or a workbench without leaving the safe house and going back in, or in a couple cases saving and reloading.

Unless you’re trying before you get the backpack?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

The way it should work is you click on the picture of the revolver up the top of the screen.
Thanks; leaning towards a bug, since I'm left with no other explanation. edit: Thought I'd try steam controller, but the game doesn't recognize it. Super weird.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 27, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominoes posted:

Thanks; leaning towards a bug, since I'm left with no other explanation. edit: Thought I'd try steam controller, but the game doesn't recognize it. Super weird.

Once you get to the point in the game where you should be able to clean your weapons at a workbench, it's accessed from the "brush" icon that is on the same screen as swapping out the other modifications for the weapon. You've probably figured that out, though.

That being said, what's screwy is that I modified some of my keyboard inputs and the game erroneously insisted that something like "Mouse4" was what I needed to press to clean the weapon, and it was actually the "F" key, which is pressed and held to keep the cleaning process going.

Basically, I'm not sure if you've having the same issue where the button that should be initiating weapon cleaning is actually not the button the game is telling you to push.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’ve just been listening to the dialogue for as long as I’m comfortable and then walking away when I’ve had enough. They can keep talking all they want but I have creature darkness to go deal with.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You should get negative karma for walking away from a conversation.

Because it's rude.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Much thanks dudes. Figured it out. It's a clickbox bug. Have to click a few inches to the right of where the icons at the top are. Same for going back to the medkit/ammo/filter section. Applies to everythign on the screen, but assumed it was a keyboard only interface, since that's how I'd switch between ammo/filters etc.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

This is the best description of this game that I've found:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/244795644961767425

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, earlier in the thread a goon said you can spot dark ones randomly watching you on roofs and if you look directly at them they disappear. I'm trying to figure out if he was loving with us or :catdrugs: or if has a keener eye than anyone else, because I can't find anyone else online talking about this and I sure haven't seen it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Admittedly I’m the person who likes a slow quiet stealth walk through the forest and overgrown towns in the first place but I’m really enjoying the Taiga. I don’t really care about how bright the night is because it’s still a great atmosphere with the fog and moon and the mist. I like the story behind the inhabitants too. I also think the more linear nature of the Taiga serves it well. I didn’t mind the open levels of the Volga and Caspian, and it’s not like the Taiga is a tunnel, but I think it does show the strength of the series does remain in a more structured level.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
taiga really forces you to dust off your stealth/thief knowledge if you want to get through it okay; i basically murdered every single bandit i saw while knocking out entire camps of children of the forest

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

veni veni veni posted:

So, earlier in the thread a goon said you can spot dark ones randomly watching you on roofs and if you look directly at them they disappear. I'm trying to figure out if he was loving with us or :catdrugs: or if has a keener eye than anyone else, because I can't find anyone else online talking about this and I sure haven't seen it.

I thought I saw one in the desert. But it was just a ghoul that had found its way atop a mountain range and was bugging out.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Pretty sure I saw one for a split second on top of a building during the Novosibirsk section. But I think it was just radiation fuckery since that's the part of the game where Artyom starts losing it with the visions.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The auto save in this game is awful remember to save after any firefight.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can get a very explicit vision of the young dark one from Last Light if you find a not-so-hard to find secret in the desert. But it’s after you indulge in that classic Metro tradition of just using a random hookah you find sitting around.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The ARK had me up until 2am, I knew something bad was going to happen but I did not expect that. After a long time sneaking around villagers in the Volga, it was pretty rad to have a breakneck firefight trying to escape just blasting fanatics with my A-shot and throwing grenades down hallways.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm coming up on the home stretch of the last level and I'm really trying to drag it out.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Only thing so far that’s irked me is this game hard locks a lot on Xbox one x. Usually only while someone is talking. Never during normal gameplay.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Knock on wood I have not had a single crash outside of the benchmark on the Steam version. Not one. Very surprising for a game that pushes the limits and seems to be problematic for others.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I'm embarrassed I noticed this but some of the nosalis have dicks and some of them have vaginas.

Anyways. Finished it. loved it. One of my favorite games I think. That is all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Carecat posted:

They didn't do badly but it would benefit from survival or RPG elements to back up all exploration as you mostly just find a few boxes worth of generic resources and very rarely a weapon mod. This isn't a problem with Fallout or Stalker because of the breadth of crafting/trading but here it's just ammo, the two resource types and very rarely a new weapon mod.
Honestly I kind of liked generic resources because I've become *really* burnt out with crafting in general. Simplifying things down to liquids and solids still encouraged looting and exploration, but didn't fall into the trap of recipes and blueprints and checklists.

I was really in love with the game up until Miller and I were sent on a search for Anna's medicine. The water sections, spitting bugs, drab environments of sewers felt like I was playing the two earlier games, and not in the good way. At that point I was rushing to get to the next section of the game, but it ended. Not saying the game was short, it just sucked playing the weakest part and then roll credits. I would have liked the payoff of doing some more outdoor adventures, or at least watching the train leave snow-land and arrive to the paradise zone.. Looking back, I absolutely loved the Pioneers and Pirates. Their whole mission to live according to their school teacher's lessons was a well done sub plot. Also, them giving you to the count of 5 to turn around, but shooting at 2 because they couldn't count, got a lol out of me .

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I'm embarrassed I noticed this but some of the nosalis have dicks and some of them have vaginas.
I didn't notice the second thing. I really wish I hadn't noticed the first. get high res genitalia out of my videogames :bahgawd:!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just got to the desert, what are some guns and mod setups that are real good?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Get the auto shotgun if you haven't already. The region is a little mutant heavy so its valuable all the time. I'd invest resources into it.

Also, find a revolver and mod it to be like a scout rifle. Headshots are lethal 99% of the time with a pistol bullet anyway, and its all around easier to use than a dedicated sniper rifle. I kept mine short barrel, but if you want a cartoon looking gun you can put a long barrel on it. It's hilarious to use.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Agreed with the weapon setup. Pistol-Sniper and Pistol-Shotgun are good for the desert.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just got to the desert, what are some guns and mod setups that are real good?

Ashot with stock and double-barrel.
Revolver with long barrel, stock, 6-shot DA cylinder and 4x scope.
Tihar with as many snipy-bits as possible (put the 6x scope on it when you get it)
Bulldog with a heavy stock, long barrel, red-dot sight and a laser.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 28, 2019

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

buglord posted:

I was really in love with the game up until Miller and I were sent on a search for Anna's medicine. The water sections, spitting bugs, drab environments of sewers felt like I was playing the two earlier games, and not in the good way. At that point I was rushing to get to the next section of the game, but it ended. Not saying the game was short, it just sucked playing the weakest part and then roll credits. I would have liked the payoff of doing some more outdoor adventures, or at least watching the train leave snow-land and arrive to the paradise zone..

See, I thought this was a great, strong way to end the game as it was peak retro-Metro. To each their own, but I thought it was fantastic. I made it through the Institute stealthing around the mutant gorillas and it was incredibly tense. I was surprised at how much the horror elements seemed stripped of Exodus with their move to semi-open worlds. The final chapter made up for those earlier levels, and then some. But gently caress those leeches, that part with the boat was needlessly irritating, even though the environment was astounding.

Did you get the good ending or the bad?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I got the good ending, which was nice. I dont mind being the odd one out with the peak-metro portion. On the whole, the game was great and I really hope sales push them to pump out more story DLC and another sequel. Though honestly, I'm not sure if id buy the next game if it was returning to the sewers. I fell in love with the semi open environment.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I did all the good things in Volga, but really haven’t found the obvious people not to slay in the Caspian yet. Is killing all these Thugs and slavers going to give me the bad ending? I saved the girl in the lighthouse and got a white pulse of light thing, so I must still be on the right track. But I think I wandered too far north, found this camp in a cavern full of slaver thugs, got spotted, and ended up just liquidating all of them only to find some ladder near the end wouldn’t lower. So I think I am supposed to go there later as part of the story. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don’t kill slaves. That’s about it