Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I remember in like 97-98 going back to the SNES after a year or two of N64 and I was shocked how much “smoother” all the games felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m glad Breath of the Wild was exactly like every previous Zelda.

My Hot Take:

BotW was a fantastic game, but my absolute least favorite zelda game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Annath posted:

My Hot Take:

BotW was a fantastic game, but my absolute least favorite zelda game.

is it still eligible to be a hot take if i ultimately disagree with the latter half but understand your argument as reasonable

seems warm at best

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

is it still eligible to be a hot take if i ultimately disagree with the latter half but understand your argument as reasonable

seems warm at best

Yeah I lukewarmly disagree

it was the best one since Wind Waker and it actually put the fear of Hyrule gone to heck in you when you first start out

here, have a stick, cook some apples you'll most likely die right now but then after a while you get all the poo poo you need to accidentally kill Ganon and that part was kind of a let down

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ciaphas posted:

seems warm at best

My understanding of The Rules is that thinking

* BotW is anything less than perfect

* the Link's Awakening remake looks less than amazing

* low-res 3D models a-la Fire Emblem Awakening and the DS/3DS Pokemon games look like garbage compared to high-res spritework

etc

all qualify as the hottest of hot :goonsay: takes and are deserving of hyperbolic ridicule.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Annath posted:

My understanding of The Rules is that thinking

* BotW is anything less than perfect

* the Link's Awakening remake looks less than amazing

* low-res 3D models a-la Fire Emblem Awakening and the DS/3DS Pokemon games look like garbage compared to high-res spritework

etc

all qualify as the hottest of hot :goonsay: takes and are deserving of hyperbolic ridicule.
None of these are that controversial, especially the last one. Maybe the second is, but loads of people admit that BotW is flawed but it's still a good game and people here often prefer sprite art.

I personally think Link's Awakening looks good and is in line with the original, but nobody is saying you have to like it and plenty of people here dislike it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i will fucken fight anyone who doesn't enjoy a good lowpoly model

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Good leaves a lotta room for argument.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Your Computer posted:

:black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kind of surprising to see a version of a chalk hill figure in the Pokemon trailer since the most famous humanoid one is the Cerne Abbas Giant.

Non brits might want to google the Cerne Abbas Giant.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I always think of the Uffington Horse because of that one XTC album.

This new Trials game is so goddamn Ubisoft it's physically painful. Had to turn the music off in less than a minute, you need an Ubisoft account for online stuff and I've been so spoiled by Nintendo that I forgot that loot crates exist in third party land :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Nintendo only does gatcha

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kind of surprising to see a version of a chalk hill figure in the Pokemon trailer since the most famous humanoid one is the Cerne Abbas Giant.

Non brits might want to google the Cerne Abbas Giant.

poor brits and there tiny hogges

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I remember in like 97-98 going back to the SNES after a year or two of N64 and I was shocked how much “smoother” all the games felt.

The GBA was really a last refuge for good spritework before the retro revival. What happens when you go from refined spritework to primitive polygons because marketing and execs have decided polygons look better.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Awesome. I really should start my Undertale pacifist run.
Do it! I played it for the first time last week and it is a wonderful experience.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What the gently caress is Deltarune. What is happening in this game.

Probably don't actually tell me. But I'm glad I didn't spoil anything about it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

a.lo posted:

PLEASE don’t make the same mistakes as you did with sun and moon. Please fix the pacing of the game PLEASE USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE! don’t ignore Aegislash! It’s literally a sword and a shield!!! Feature it in the game somehow!!!

My friends who haven't paid attention to the series in a while keep saying "Since when does Pokemon have things like swords and shields" And I keep sending them Aegislash and they get so mad

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

and they get so mad
Oh, no! Swords!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So listening to music earlier I came across this piece by Lou Donaldson, called "Pot Belly", and I immediately thought Yoshi.

I doubt it's plagiarism since it's only a couple of notes anyway, but seeing as video game music and instrumental music has such little crossover, I'm sure it would never come up. I wonder how many other examples of this there are.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So listening to music earlier I came across this piece by Lou Donaldson, called "Pot Belly", and I immediately thought Yoshi.

I doubt it's plagiarism since it's only a couple of notes anyway, but seeing as video game music and instrumental music has such little crossover, I'm sure it would never come up. I wonder how many other examples of this there are.

A surprising amount, actually. Retronauts and Gerstmann have brought up a number of examples.
I personally find the first few bars of the Super Bomberman theme and Jethro Tull's Aqualung to be very similar.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

A surprising amount, actually. Retronauts and Gerstmann have brought up a number of examples.
I personally find the first few bars of the Super Bomberman theme and Jethro Tull's Aqualung to be very similar.

I'd love links to those if possible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Every time someone comes up with an idea to 'improve' Pokemon it's always 1: an obvious ripoff of another game series, B: a terrible idea, and lastly, something that's already been suggested by a thousand people who all think they're being incredibly original when they do it.

I mean hell, Pokemon has spinoffs, one of them was a full on crossover with Nobunaga's Ambition that turned it into a SRPG, and another one that's a full on fighting game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

What the gently caress is Deltarune. What is happening in this game.

Probably don't actually tell me. But I'm glad I didn't spoil anything about it

It's kinda but not really the sequel to Undertale. And yes, it's loving weird, just like the original.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wiz Khalifa's Never Been samples Chronotrigger, specifically Schala's Theme. It owns.

Edit: Like chill af west coast rap is the sound of my childhood and so is SNES rpgs, so this poo poo was a permanent playlist staple the second it dropped. Also ther comments from young nerds who grew up listening to Whiz first then found Chronotrigger on one of the recent releases are :3:

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 28, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Probably shouldn't openly post the well-known and very :nws: SMT Penis Demon :ohdear:.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wiz Khalifa's Never Been samples Chronotrigger, specifically Schala's Theme. It owns.

Edit: Like chill af west coast rap is the sound of my childhood and so is SNES rpgs, so this poo poo was a permanent playlist staple the second it dropped. Also ther comments from young nerds who grew up listening to Whiz first then found Chronotrigger on one of the recent releases are :3:

That's super cool. VGM is ripe for sampling since at it's core it's supposed to be repetitive, short, and catchy loops.

Though it may be tough to whom royalties or accrediting goes to if you're not going to pirate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's super cool. VGM is ripe for sampling since at it's core it's supposed to be repetitive, short, and catchy loops.

Though it may be tough to whom royalties or accrediting goes to if you're not going to pirate.

Don't be a sample snitch
:dukedoge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4g8s_4h9ms

one of my favourite VG samples

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don't be a sample snitch
:dukedoge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4g8s_4h9ms

one of my favourite VG samples

I've never played ICO (I don't know that was the source of the sample until I saw it in the comments) so the first thing I heard was Radiohead's Daydreaming, seems to me like Thom has some explaining to do…

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
sad news, everyone

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/1100983935796797441

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My favourite weird game music story is probably the time someone played Kojima some obscure Russian melody and it's obvious that Harry Gregson Williams ripped it off for MGS. It's just too bad it never showed up in any of the games afterwards. Konami was probably shook as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lodin posted:

My favourite weird game music story is probably the time someone played Kojima some obscure Russian melody and it's obvious that Harry Gregson Williams ripped it off for MGS. It's just too bad it never showed up in any of the games afterwards. Konami was probably shook as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI
The way I understand it, Konami would've been legally allowed to use the theme but Kojima chose not to after he found out it had been plagiarized. Also, I always enjoyed seeing MGS fanboys go "Actually, the melody doesn't sound similar at all!" because it's not literally a 1:1 copy.

And speaking of plagiarism in Japanese video game music from the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFhD87di0I

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, if you're going to make a western themed thing you basically have two choices; rummage around in Ennio Morricone's garbage bin for a left over never released song or rip off Ennio Morricone as hard as legally possible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AVON5QSivI&t=198s

This one was pretty mind blowing for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvMuGz-PWY

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Cross post from the FF7 thread

Heath posted:

I've been listening to this song a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsRMECWKAE

And I realized today where I had heard it before (or something very similar and obviously inspired by it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu2PU5Oc82w

I love finding the musical inspirations for game tracks. Hearing actual prog rock and catching video gamey flourishes blew my mind as a teenager, as did realizing most of the songs in EarthBound either sample or refer to Beatles songs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

My favorite one of those was when it turned out Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone theme was a Jetzons song

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That Jetzon's song kicks rear end and Sega should just buy the rights to it and drop it into Sonic 3 re-releases moving forward

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lodin posted:

and it's obvious that Harry Gregson Williams ripped it off for MGS
It wasn't Harry Gregson Williams that's to blame, it was an internal music guy at Konami who I don't quite recall the name of, who created (or "created") the theme for MGS1, before Williams was bought onto the series.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Tappi Iwase aka TAPPY was the composer on the original MGS.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My friends who haven't paid attention to the series in a while keep saying "Since when does Pokemon have things like swords and shields" And I keep sending them Aegislash and they get so mad

The more Pokemon resembles Dragon Warrior Monsters, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The opening riff to Let’s Not Talk About It by Friendship basically became the underground theme in Super Mario Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvMuGz-PWY