Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dawgstar posted:

The first Ghostbusters is spoken of very highly by those I found who played it. The later edition was whatever, but that one is always touted as a great way to do a comedic RPG. Admittedly I couldn't say how much of a hit it was. Certainly not as much as Star Wars.

I didn't include it because it's technically not D6 System, though it is a clear predecessor. Either way it doesn't change the notion of D6 having originally been largely tied to outside IPs - Star Wars, Indiana Jones, DC Comics, etc. That's not to say there haven't been attempts to make independent D6 games, but none of them have really stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I play this game with literal children. They love it and are fine.

What is wrong with you.

There this thing that literal children do in freer-form RPGs where they let's-pretend themselves an easy victory one time and then understand that that's a poo poo, boring way to play and start inserting their own challenges to the point where you'll say "You open the door, and th..." and a group of 6 year olds starts babbling:

"And there's a treasure chest!"

"I think the treasure chest is guarded!"

"No that was just the shadows but when I tried to open it..."

"There was a trap and whoooooosh a cloud of poison gas shoots out"

"Oh no it got me!"

"It didn't get me but I tripped over trying to escape"

"Hahahahahahahaha and then I fell over you too"

"What's in the chest?"

"Yeah what?"

"How bad did the poison get me?"

"Did we get hurt in the big stacks-on?"

Certain adults decide that if they can imagine things relatively freely, they will imagine something boring. Children... don't, generally.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 28, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is "stacks-on" Australian (I think you're Australian) for what I'd call a "pile-up"?

But yeah, 100% agree. I used to run games for poor kids after-school as like a socialization/get them used to reading comprehension and math deal, and they universally cottoned to it instantly. Fundamentally we're just playing pretend with some agreed upon framework to keep everyone on the same page, it comes really naturally.

God I can't wait for my nephews to be old enough for this stuff.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is "stacks-on" Australian (I think you're Australian) for what I'd call a "pile-up"?

But yeah, 100% agree. I used to run games for poor kids after-school as like a socialization/get them used to reading comprehension and math deal, and they universally cottoned to it instantly. Fundamentally we're just playing pretend with some agreed upon framework to keep everyone on the same page, it comes really naturally.

God I can't wait for my nephews to be old enough for this stuff.

Yep, I'm an aussie. Stacks on is I think originally British, and "a stack" ("stacked my car" or "had a stack") can be a fall or collision and probably has the same derivation.

E: One small child is about to occupy my whole attention for a couple hours but look at happy birthday robot and costume fairy adventures if you haven't, they're great for younger kids (CFA is a surprisingly good game full stop)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 28, 2019

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

hyphz posted:

Don’t even get onto “are there any boots in the vestibule?” “No.” “I flashback to pretending to be a messenger from the duke, telling the guard captain that all guards must take off their boots in the vestibule. If I succeed then since it’s established there are no boots, there must be no guards!”

IME the solution to this is "no, and don't ask dumb gotcha questions like this again", because the GM is not a computer and people who try to play them like one are assholes

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This kind of stuff boils down to people assuming that a game has scaling-arbitrarily-high stunt bonuses for rolls, like if you describe some move cleverly enough the GM simply has to let it have insuperable powerful results regardless of the game rules. It's of a same kind with or "I use my lightning magic to conjure a tiny spark... in his brainpan, killing him instantly!!" Yeah maybe you do if you roll well enough, buddy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"There's no boots, but I told them to put their boots here! It's just not possible for literally anything else to have happened that would result in the boots not being here!" is not just a silly 'gotcha' type thing, intentionally trying to break the game, but it's also a failure of imagination.

here
-the boots were stinking up the vestibule and a courtesan complained. Now they're stored in the antechamber
-the guard captain believed that the orders from the duke were genuine, but he knows that having the guards wander around in their socks is stupid, so he's deliberately disobeying orders
-the guard captain believed the orders, but thought they were referring to a different vestibule, so the boots are in another area
-after the guards left their boots all over the floor, a butler came by, saw them, and ordered the maids to remove them
-or he had them all taken to the basement to be cleaned & polished
-a wizard did it

This is a stupid list because as others have said, your players should not be trying to trick the GM into the adventure disappearing in a puff of clever logic, but even if you decide to just let them do that poo poo, you can basically always invent another event or issue or twist that changed the outcome so that the paradox is resolved.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yep, I'm an aussie. Stacks on is I think originally British, and "a stack" ("stacked my car" or "had a stack") can be a fall or collision and probably has the same derivation.

E: One small child is about to occupy my whole attention for a couple hours but look at happy birthday robot and costume fairy adventures if you haven't, they're great for younger kids (CFA is a surprisingly good game full stop)

They're two so I got a while, but thanks for the recommendation! (In a weird twist of fate my sister and my girlfriend's sister both had kids inside of like 2 weeks. Our sisters live in rural nowhere and we live in NYC so we look forward to being Cool Uncle Xiahou and Cool Aunt Girlfriend and taking them to museums and 100% making them the best of friends.) . I was thinking Golden Sky Stories, but happy with any other ideas. Possibly eventually Mouse Guard when they're older.

And yeah, so "stack-on" is basically "pile-on", i.e. bunch of stuff getting rammed into each other and then being left in a pile/stack? This is totally unrelated to games and is just professional curiosity.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

And yeah, so "stack-on" is basically "pile-on", i.e. bunch of stuff getting rammed into each other and then being left in a pile/stack? This is totally unrelated to games and is just professional curiosity.

I promise that I'm not intentionally messing with you, but holy poo poo this turns out to be difficult to explain from scratch.

"A stacks-on" is specifically a pile of humans, usually children. It usually must happen as one of those sorta-games that you always get with schoolkids: One or more people end up on the ground (fallen, pushed, lying down, etc), someone yells "stacks on" and jumps on top of them and then more people jump on, possibly yelling the same thing. The resulting pile, or stack, of people is the only thing that can really be "a stacks on". You could say "like a stacks on" or similar to indicate (eg) a bunch of drunks all fell down in a heap and it was funny, but that's not a usual thing.

Some kids shout "stacks on the mill", and some follow that up with "more on still". Some chant, emphasis on the final word "Stacks on the mill / More on still". The resulting human pile is still "a stacks on" though, or at least I've never heard "a stacks on the mill" to refer to the result.

Background: I know that "a mill" is old rural british slang phrase for a fistfight. I've heard that "stacks on the mill" was equivalent to "everyone restrain them before they kill each other".

e: You can't have "a stacks on" of objects. You can "stack" your car or bike, equivalent to "crash" in this sense, and some people would say "oooh, he's stacked" if someone fell over. Nobody would confuse this for stacks on.

e2: If the specific language is one of those incredibly localised things where someone can now pinpoint that I went to one of two adjacent primary schools I'm gonna look pretty dumb.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 28, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I promise that I'm not intentionally messing with you, but holy poo poo this turns out to be difficult to explain from scratch.

"A stacks-on" is specifically a pile of humans, usually children. It usually must happen as one of those sorta-games that you always get with schoolkids: One or more people end up on the ground (fallen, pushed, lying down, etc), someone yells "stacks on" and jumps on top of them and then more people jump on, possibly yelling the same thing. The resulting pile, or stack, of people is the only thing that can really be "a stacks on". You could say "like a stacks on" or similar to indicate (eg) a bunch of drunks all fell down in a heap and it was funny, but that's not a usual thing.

Some kids shout "stacks on the mill", and some follow that up with "more on still". Some chant, emphasis on the final word "Stacks on the mill / More on still". The resulting human pile is still "a stacks on" though, or at least I've never heard "a stacks on the mill" to refer to the result.

Background: I know that "a mill" is old rural british slang phrase for a fistfight. I've heard that "stacks on the mill" was equivalent to "everyone restrain them before they kill each other".

e: You can't have "a stacks on" of objects. You can "stack" your car or bike, equivalent to "crash" in this sense, and some people would say "oooh, he's stacked" if someone fell over. Nobody would confuse this for stacks on.

We had that at school (UK) but I can't for the life of me remember what we called it. It wasn't that, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ahh, children's games that are basically thinly veiled excuses to injure yourself or others.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

thespaceinvader posted:

We had that at school (UK) but I can't for the life of me remember what we called it. It wasn't that, though.

I remember calling that a ‘pile-on’, including elements like one kid shouting that when another fell over. No chants that I recall, though

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
a bicycle helmet is also colloquially called a 'stack hat'

i vaguely recall 'stacks on' being called to draw more kids into a general fight as well as the use Elector_Nerdlingen describes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if it has any relation to 'stacked it' being Australian slang for a crash or fumble, especially on a bike.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
no that's highly unlikely

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

thespaceinvader posted:

We called it a bundle.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

potatocubed posted:

We called it a bundle.

Thank you that was going to bug me all day.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if it has any relation to 'stacked it' being Australian slang for a crash or fumble, especially on a bike.

Yes, definitely, just like the smaller beer bottles and the men's shorts are related.

Which people think is because they're both short (that is, "stubby"), but in fact they were named for the family of their creator. Peter Stubbs took over the glass making industry after the rum rebellion and created Stubbs' Short Beer Bottles. His son Bruce (known as Stubbsy) was one of the first australians to break from the british norm of long woolen garments, and a group of his friends became somewhat ostracised for wearing shorts. The group were mockingly called "the Stubbsies" by others, which eventually got slurred/shortened to "stubbies". Which is now the name of both the short work shorts and the short beer bottles.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
The guard captain did follow orders but didn't know the word vestibule and so after fighting a couple of groups of barefoot guards and wondering why the compound stinks so much, the players eventually find a huge pile of boots in the vents' air intake.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Ettin posted:

IME the solution to this is "no, and don't ask dumb gotcha questions like this again", because the GM is not a computer and people who try to play them like one are assholes

It's this. Telling all the guards to remove their boots is in this case an action motivated only by trying to use the fact that there are no boots as metagame leverage. It's not really an action that makes sense in the fiction. It's about equivalent to flashing back to a scene where you're like "I'm gonna build a nuclear reactor, and if I don't succeed, I'll leave my boots in the vestibule. Since my boots aren't there, I must have a nuclear reactor."

So the appropriate reaction is, "No, that's ridiculous. What do you actually do?"

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
On TotalCon, I emailed Cheapass as one of the sponsors to ask if they were aware in advance they were supporting a company that had 25 male guests of honour and no women/trans/NB.

quote:

In the past, we've taken time to verify a convention's existence and size. We'll change our practices to look at convention guest lists in the future, though the timing of guest announcements compared to sponsorship requests isn't always in our favor.

Also said they'll be taking it into account for next year of they're asked to sponsor again and for any other cons that do similar or they think aren't committed to a safe and inclusive event.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ettin posted:

To some extent, the solution is 'why do you want to know an irrelevant detail like that?'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I appreciate that you're working towards making TotalCon more inclusive, but is this a case where they're deliberately avoiding diversity?

I mean, only two honorees appears to be under 50. It's literally an old boy's club, by and for old guys with beards who smell like pipes and yesterday's clothes, to play games as old as they are.

The faces are largely homogenized because that's what the hobby looked like up until about Y2k.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ryuutama is probably another good game for newbies, as an aside.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

moths posted:

I appreciate that you're working towards making TotalCon more inclusive, but is this a case where they're deliberately avoiding diversity?

I'm pretty positive it is deliberate, because you can't get to 25 all male guests without deliberately avoiding reaching out to women/trans/NB people. It's the same as when Millar's comic convention had 40 guests of honour with no women, and he tried to claim that there were no women in the comic industry in the UK, at the same time Thoughtbubble had 40% female-presenting industry guests/featured.

And if they want to say no women deserve to be guests of honour at their con then that's something that's worth highlighting to their sponsors to see if that's the sort of convention they want to be associated with.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

PST posted:

I'm pretty positive it is deliberate, because you can't get to 25 all male guests without deliberately avoiding reaching out to women/trans/NB people. It's the same as when Millar's comic convention had 40 guests of honour with no women, and he tried to claim that there were no women in the comic industry in the UK, at the same time Thoughtbubble had 40% female-presenting industry guests/featured.

And if they want to say no women deserve to be guests of honour at their con then that's something that's worth highlighting to their sponsors to see if that's the sort of convention they want to be associated with.

Ooo just as a side note you really came off a bit condescending for reasons that I'm not even sure you're aware of.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Today I learned that I would be confused by most things that were being discussed in Australia, or in one of hyphz' games.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

Ooo just as a side note you really came off a bit condescending for reasons that I'm not even sure you're aware of.

I mentally inserted a 'so why bother' in Moth's comments on it, which wasn't there, so the 'and here's why' wasn't needed, so yeah I was aware of it, it was just misplaced so apologies to Moth for the overly elaborate explaining what they already knew.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
As someone who was in the hobby before Y2K, no it was not that homogenous even then.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, Janelle Jacquays has been there since the start, basically, as the first name to pop into my head. I am dead certain there's plenty more.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can tell you care about this and have probably gotten some frustrating pushback.

I might be completely misreading TotalCon's mission, but it seems super-groggy and 80's facing. If they're celebrating that era, it would be easy to pull that exact group of homogenized group of honorees without deliberately intending to exclude anyone.

They're drawing from a well that wasn't diverse to begin with.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, Janelle Jacquays has been there since the start, basically, as the first name to pop into my head. I am dead certain there's plenty more.

Lee Gold, who started the very first RPG fanzine (Alarums & Excursions).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Parkreiner posted:

Being arbitrary is easy! It literally means not being based on any justification! Your problem is that you’re not being arbitrary *enough*, actually. You are being your own judge and jury and seem to be afraid of being sent to gamer jail if you are judged implausible or overly kind.

Remember that hyphz is afraid of running any games that don't come with prefab adventures to guide him on every story beat. Like the root of all his convoluted logic is a fear that he won't be able to keep up with the obnoxious attempts from his dickhead gaming group to undermine him and derail the game, and he'll look like a failure because of that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The solution to that is not playing with dickheads.

If they exist only to gently caress with you and make your game hell then maybe they don't deserve your time or energy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

The solution to that is not playing with dickheads.

If they exist only to gently caress with you and make your game hell then maybe they don't deserve your time or energy.

I mean, you know that and I know that, but clearly someone here isn't heeding the past year of :sever: advice we've been giving

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Having just got pointed at it, Mentzer's trying to rewrite history again, and to do another round of attacking Price and claiming his abusive PMs on Dragonsfoot were when he was 'hacked'

Whole lotta lying going on

https://www.facebook.com/frank.mentzer/posts/2166010183478721

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PST posted:

Having just got pointed at it, Mentzer's trying to rewrite history again, and to do another round of attacking Price and claiming his abusive PMs on Dragonsfoot were when he was 'hacked'

Whole lotta lying going on

https://www.facebook.com/frank.mentzer/posts/2166010183478721

The fact that Mentzer genuinely believes that his project to publish his D&D campaign world would be able to sustain 30 jobs is proof that he's still utterly, utterly kidding himself.

Maybe if it were a truly incredibly successful Kickstarter by RPG standards, and the actual costs of fulfillment were minimal, it could sustain 30 people's wages... for a year or two. But that's in no way the same as destroying 30 jobs just because the Kickstarter was a wash (and there was plenty of reason to be concerned about the Kickstarter just plain failing independent of Frank's weirdness).

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nuns with Guns posted:

Remember that hyphz is afraid of running any games that don't come with prefab adventures to guide him on every story beat. Like the root of all his convoluted logic is a fear that he won't be able to keep up with the obnoxious attempts from his dickhead gaming group to undermine him and derail the game, and he'll look like a failure because of that.

To try and get this back to industry, lack of prefab adventures is a much more significant issue than it seems to be considered. I’ve seen like 5 DnD 5e groups form in my town based on the prefab campaign books because they’re easy to run from, they reassure players, and they’re a shared experience you can chat about on nerd groups. I know the argument is that indies tend not to have them because they’re expensive to produce but the gain could be worth it.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Prefabs, especially low-level introductory stuff, are absolutely necessary and it's a drat shame that more people don't create them for their indie products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

they've got to be good tho, because i've read drat near every prefab sotdl adventure and a few by non-schwalb authors are bad. the monte cook one is straight garbage