Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

The absolutely most devastating put down any game has ever done is Rhythm Heaven where you bust your hands off trying to get the drat thing to work and if you succeed it still tells you "That was...Just Ok."

gently caress you, love rap!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Samuringa posted:

The absolutely most devastating put down any game has ever done is Rhythm Heaven where you bust your hands off trying to get the drat thing to work and if you succeed it still tells you "That was...Just Ok."

:respek::(

Also a Resident Evil 6 update, I know it's off-topic for this thread but a zambie that sprouts to life from multiple body parts of a butchered hog and which reassembles itself every time you shoot it apart, and which you ultimately dispatch by forcing it into a meat grinder, is most emphatically not a little thing dragging this game down.

Edit: and now I'm fighting Roombas. Man, I don't even know any more :psypop:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Feb 28, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The most cutting insult in gaming is when you die a bunch and it asks if you want to lower the difficulty level. It always feels personal.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The most cutting insult in gaming is when you die a bunch and it asks if you want to lower the difficulty level. It always feels personal.

I understand that it's supposed to be a genuine concern, asking the player if they need anything to get past a rough part, but its so easy to take it as "Gonna cry? Piss your pants maybe? Or maybe poo poo and cum?"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Getting the pop up for the Super Guide in the newer Mario games is a real mark of shame. I don’t need the cheats, it’s just a tough jump! I’ll get there soon!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

I understand that it's supposed to be a genuine concern, asking the player if they need anything to get past a rough part, but its so easy to take it as "Gonna cry? Piss your pants maybe? Or maybe poo poo and cum?"

Or embrace it like me. You're right, RE2 remake, my pride led me to think I could succeed on normal difficulty in this, the opening room, and I beg for your forgiveness. I will accept baby mode as my penance.

vvv Boy, I dunno. I kinda decently like Super Paper Mario after a second try to change my expectations, but nothing I read about Color Splash really made me want to dive in. My Wii U is defunct, maybe if it shows up again in a re-release.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Feb 28, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

You really have to wonder. It's maybe the most aggravating game I've played in its own way because the writing and production is actually pretty great, but the gulf between that and the actual gameplay is just astounding. I'm still angry years later at my realization that, for big chunks of the game, the battles (i.e. the foundation of the game) are literally a net resource drain and a waste of time. Between that and the obtuse ways in how it handles sticker mechanics for area puzzles and bosses, it really does feel like a troll by unhappy developers.

I think Sticker Star was just not fully thought out, because it led to Color Splash which is actually a really solid game, as well as possibly the funniest 'full-sized' game I've ever played.

Now, Super Paper Mario was deliberately a troll.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Any game that has playable Bowser is a good game. It also dunks on anime nerds, which is a plus. :colbert:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Screaming Idiot posted:

Any game that has playable Bowser is a good game. It also dunks on anime nerds, which is a plus. :colbert:

i dunno if the bowz has a good matchup against the fire emblem cast

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Or embrace it like me. You're right, RE2 remake, my pride led me to think I could succeed on normal difficulty in this, the opening room, and I beg for your forgiveness. I will accept baby mode as my penance.

Damage is the same whichever part of the zombie you hit, only the head is vulnerable to criticals (like a magnum or shotgun to the noggin) and limbs can be blown off.

Baby mode is best for the multi-cheevo runs, like no healing and item-boxes in under 14000 steps.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Baby mode is best for the multi-cheevo runs, like no healing and item-boxes in under 14000 steps.
Or y'know, me, who sucks at most games and would rather just crank down the difficulty and power through as the approximate in-world equivalent of Captain America. I could probably go back and start over at a higher level once I get the hang of it, but at that point I'd usually just rather keep on powering through.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

It's really not similar at all in terms of moment to moment gameplay, just that they have the same writing and world. WoL is much faster paced and designed around being a single player RPG instead of a daily MMOish browser RPG

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah, WoL is KoL minus a lot of the annoying trappings of giant browser RPGs that lead you to need third party add-ons in the first place

Oh, neat, thanks.

Probably a repeat, but goddamn it it still annoys me: every Civ game I see an ad for (we're up to, what, 6, right?) annoys me slightly because I really want to buy it... but then I remember there's one unit per tile. I know I'll be basically okay with it until I've got 9/10 units per enemy city that needs to go poof, and just the thought of figuring out fun/unique paths for every single dingle one of them is just wearying.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Captain Hygiene posted:

:respek::(

Also a Resident Evil 6 update, I know it's off-topic for this thread but a zambie that sprouts to life from multiple body parts of a butchered hog and which reassembles itself every time you shoot it apart, and which you ultimately dispatch by forcing it into a meat grinder, is most emphatically not a little thing dragging this game down.

Edit: and now I'm fighting Roombas. Man, I don't even know any more :psypop:

I'm actually playing RE6 myself and am just ahead of you, because what is a mediocre and somewhat entertaining game by yourself becomes amazing when played co-op.

So for me the funniest part is when my partner, who is not good at shooters but is improving, had to protect me from a giant shark. And the game at this point has relentlessly trained her to aim for the head. So the big shark's big glowing weak point emerges from it, begging to be shot.
And she aims away from it and goes for the head.

I'm glad RE6 went all-in on the melee because it makes the game actually playable for her.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

spit on my clit posted:

It's the worst when it's because of failing like a QTE or a jumping bit. You can make enemies easier but it's not gonna solve the insta death thing I keep failing is it?

No. No it's not. gently caress you game.

RE2 did it to me during that boss after I'd managed to kill myself every time. It never even put my in critical health state I just insta killed myself. Repeatedly.

Aaaaand I left the flame thrower in the sewer and don't feel like replaying that fight to get it. Fuckin gently caress.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Len posted:

It's the worst when it's because of failing like a QTE or a jumping bit. You can make enemies easier but it's not gonna solve the insta death thing I keep failing is it?

No. No it's not. gently caress you game.
There was a part in the original God of War where you had to outrun a spike trap closing in on you, and the timing was pretty strict so I hosed it up a bunch of times. Cue the game asking if I wanted to drop the difficulty from hard all the way down to easy. Yeah, sure, that'll help. Thanks, guys.

I never finished God of War for some reason. Maybe I got stuck on the later platforming bits or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Games with a well-hidden adaptive difficulty are the best because they provide all the advantages of EZ mode while still making you feel as if you got gud.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doc M posted:

There was a part in the original God of War where you had to outrun a spike trap closing in on you, and the timing was pretty strict so I hosed it up a bunch of times. Cue the game asking if I wanted to drop the difficulty from hard all the way down to easy. Yeah, sure, that'll help. Thanks, guys.

I never finished God of War for some reason. Maybe I got stuck on the later platforming bits or something.

I had that pop up a lot during the last section in Hades. Insta death spikes everywhere and gently caress you let's go to easy mode!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

exquisite tea posted:

Games with a well-hidden adaptive difficulty are the best because they provide all the advantages of EZ mode while still making you feel as if you got gud.

IIRC If you pushed quickload button in Max Payne 1 after death (instead of following "load the last save" prompt), the game wouldn't register your death. Therefore it thought you beat every level perfectly and increased the difficulty. In the late levels the enemies could take a full shotgun blast to the face without dying.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ninja gaiden made it so that you could choose to make the difficulty easier if you died a bunch but your title would forever be Ninja Dog and your guy would wear a little pink bow on his arm for the entirety of the game

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kennel posted:

IIRC If you pushed quickload button in Max Payne 1 after death (instead of following "load the last save" prompt), the game wouldn't register your death. Therefore it thought you beat every level perfectly and increased the difficulty. In the late levels the enemies could take a full shotgun blast to the face without dying.

I want to replay MP1 and wish there was a mod to stop that dumb difficulty adjust from happening. Also it's a real shame it never got remade using the MP3 engine as that game has the most satisfying shooting out of any game I can remember

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kennel posted:

oh dear, that explains a lot

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Bugs the hell out of me whenever a game seems to think that a cutscene that could be five minutes needs to be broken into 10 segments, each separated by about 10 feet of walking.

I've been enjoying playing Ys VIII lately, but gently caress me if it's not one of the worst offenders of this. Especially a recent bit I'm in where you're 'chasing' someone through a city.

*enter city*
"hey who's that?*
"Dunno let's find out"
*take a dozen steps forward*
"Wait did you see that over there?"
"Yeah let's go!"
*turn the corner*
"Huh who could it be?"
"Not sure, but he's still ahead!"
*walk through a door in front of me*
etc
etc

Repeat this for maybe 30 minutes, taking up my entire commute. I just started fast-forwarding through every cutscene since they all had to start with a slow pan to the ground, and a bit of animation from characters before they started speaking, then end with a slow fade-out. This happens all over the game too, though it's never been this bad.

Oh and the 'chase' was inconsequential, ending in the guy just yelling 'boo!'. loving waste of time. Let me get back to chopping up monsters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Bugs the hell out of me whenever a game seems to think that a cutscene that could be five minutes needs to be broken into 10 segments, each separated by about 10 feet of walking.

I've been enjoying playing Ys VIII lately, but gently caress me if it's not one of the worst offenders of this.

Before the patches to the PC version there was a very good chance that the game will freeze on every fade-in or fade-out, which made this even worse. Unless they came back and patched it again since last time I played it still happens sometimes, though thankfully it's bearably rare now (at least for me).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kennel posted:

I had always heard it was the other way around and got to the end before giving up in frustration. It was only after I learned I played the full game on maximum gently caress You difficulty.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

In the Witcher 3, any time a quest involves walking with an NPC to a location they move at the same speed you do, even if you sprint

It's really nice because every other game I've ever played has them moving excruciatingly slowly (and usually capping your speed to slightly above theirs, so you regularly overtake them and have to wait for them to catch up)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Please don't talk about this, I played assassins creed 4 recently and I'm starting to sweat and tremble a lil

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
assassins creed 4: amazing by sea, terrible by land. on land its all just tailing missions :rant:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They seem to have finally gotten the memo because all NPCs in AC Odyssey sprint at maximum speed toward their next destination. This is especially amusing when your 55 year old mom is plowing people down in the agora.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Please don't talk about this, I played assassins creed 4 recently and I'm starting to sweat and tremble a lil

Looking back, I don't know how I got through that game the first time. I tried replaying it a year or so later and just could not be bothered. The sailing and combat was fun but not enough to make up for the tailing and future crap. Last one I played was Syndicate, which was good, but I'm done with the franchise unless/until they reboot it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The very next one after Syndicate was a reboot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Batman landing on people and just punching them in the dick in the Arkham series never gets old

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XV until I hit a certain point. I'm sure anyone who ever played most of the game can pinpoint exactly which part it is. Chapter 13

The game starts as an an open world JRPG best friend road trip. Then it takes away your car, your friends, your weapons and the open world and becomes a series of dark cramped corridors and walkways in a dark generic industrial facility with no car, no friends, no weapons, no open world and jump scares.

I still finished the game but my enjoyment levels fell off a cliff after that chapter started.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vidaeus posted:

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XV until I hit a certain point. I'm sure anyone who ever played most of the game can pinpoint exactly which part it is. Chapter 13

The game starts as an an open world JRPG best friend road trip. Then it takes away your car, your friends, your weapons and the open world and becomes a series of dark cramped corridors and walkways in a dark generic industrial facility with no car, no friends, no weapons, no open world and jump scares.

I still finished the game but my enjoyment levels fell off a cliff after that chapter started.

Funnily enough, the constant complaints about that part of the game have caused so much attempts to 'fix' it that it's flipped around and become quite a highlight for certain players. It's still written like you're supposed to be underpowered, and forced into stealth, but at this point the ring has gotten so many buffs that it's easily the strongest weapon in the game against single targets, which is basically all that section throws at you. You get your father's sword partway through and that's supposed to be the 'now I can finally fight back' moment, but that sword is so much weaker than the ring now that it's hilarious.

But I hated the game and the party from the get-go, so the chapter that got rid of all my stupid lovely friends and gave me a weapon that clowns on everything the game's trying to do is basically the best thing ever. Only way they could've made that chapter better is by letting me fight Prompto and it even gets pretty close to that!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Funnily enough, the constant complaints about that part of the game have caused so much attempts to 'fix' it that it's flipped around and become quite a highlight for certain players. It's still written like you're supposed to be underpowered, and forced into stealth, but at this point the ring has gotten so many buffs that it's easily the strongest weapon in the game against single targets, which is basically all that section throws at you. You get your father's sword partway through and that's supposed to be the 'now I can finally fight back' moment, but that sword is so much weaker than the ring now that it's hilarious.

You can say that again - in the post-game, I used the post-patch ring against the adamantoise. I insta-killed it in maybe 15 seconds.

It was hilarious, given how much I had heard about the boss. Very impressive to see, but uh...

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Vidaeus posted:

They need to stop letting Nomura make games. He dragged Kingdom Hearts from something charming and pure into a bizarre mess of a plot with ancillary touches of Disney. Amusingly, he will also only use characters he's designed personally in that series, and fails to use them well because of the lack of writing and direction ability on those teams.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Poulpe posted:

They need to stop letting Nomura make games.

From what I have read, Nomura would almost agree with you. His interest is in smaller projects, but because he is senior staff, he is put in charge of things much bigger than he actually cares for.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Poulpe posted:

They need to stop letting Nomura make games.

nomura's a bad influence but he had nothing to do with the release version of FFXV, and at this point SE's not "letting" him make games so much as "forcing" him to make games, because they're psychotically dedicated to having a recognizable old-guard name at the top of every big release even as all of their more competent staff either quit or get ground down to nothing by their awful management

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
not to say he isn't a bitter little manchild ofc

a non-negligible part of KH3 is dedicated to how pissed he is for getting booted off FFXV in the first place

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ff15 is good. Chapter 13 was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ff15 is good. Chapter 13 was good

Yes. No.