Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I believe in Dale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
I don't want to bring any more attention to the subject, but I'm a big fan of all things related to this hunt and have been for years. "Dale" means nothing to me. I have never heard of dale and I hesitate to continue the conversation. The last thing I want based upon what little you've revealed is to draw any more attention to Dale. Just know there are people who don't know poo poo about that person, nor do we want to.

Is there a 13th Cask gossip column on wordpress that I am missing out on?

E: saving this space for the wordpress link.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 28, 2019

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

I don't want to bring any more attention to the subject, but I'm a big fan of all things related to this hunt and have been for years. "Dale" means nothing to me. I have never heard of dale and I hesitate to continue the conversation. The last thing I want based upon what little you've revealed is to draw any more attention to Dale. Just know there are people who don't know poo poo about that person, nor do we want to.

Is there a 13th Cask gossip column on wordpress that I am missing out on?

E: saving this space for the wordpress link.

My point was less about Dale and Josh Cornell and this latest piece of work, Gerald, and more about the pervasiveness of the trolls who have come in hot, taking up real estate by swamping forums with false claims. It's a huge problem and this is better place to vent unfiltered than q4t or Facebook.

I think others feel that way too, but your point is taken and appreciated. For real.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Didn't Preiss' widow or artist know the burial spots as well? Making it pointless to try to fake a find?

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Abugadu posted:

Didn't Preiss' widow or artist know the burial spots as well? Making it pointless to try to fake a find?

Officially no. No one knows where they are.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
here are my random thoughts.

Imagine you are a french dude, who only has access to q4t... you have minimal information, because you do not speak english. There is a flood of crap to get through on q4t. You find pics of Rob's casque... but brians is all smashed. You might assume that the casques are all different. you might THINK jjp made them... because he painted the images.... but you cant really make out his signature from a 40 year old book... so you get close.

You know there is a clock, because you have seen rob's... so you know that would need to be there.
if you were a bored dude wanting to create a fake you could take some time.
But.
If you were actually a french doc, you could afford to pay someone to make this, bury it, then dig it back up.

and with the skill involved in making and painting this stupid thing... you would need to have at least a little skill in ceramics and painting.

But when would you make it bury it and dig it back up? It would have had to have been long before Brett was there last month... long enough for the grass to grow back, otherwise the parks department would have noticed an existing hole.

Though that one person on facebook said they dug there a couple months back...

whoever did this doesnt know enough about the secret to fake it correctly. and has either the time or the money to make a fake. and the desire to stroke his ego.
That's one reason I actually do still think it was Gay. If it wasn't then why do it at all? Why would you make a fake, then find it and let some other dude get all the glory?
if it works that is.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Minnesota is the land of 10,000 tunnels
People are just taking buildings and drawing lines wherever to match the painting
They are getting extremely abstract about interpreting the painting, just to get a number which tangentially relates to some arbitrary part of Minnesota's history.

It's like full on Urban Smurf, except without the pleasant sing-song cadence and deep knowledge of history and mythology.

It's weird. There's just as much good evidence for Minnesota as anywhere else, but the logical leaps are by far the longest.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 28, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

My point was less about Dale and Josh Cornell and this latest piece of work, Gerald, and more about the pervasiveness of the trolls who have come in hot, taking up real estate by swamping forums with false claims. It's a huge problem and this is better place to vent unfiltered than q4t or Facebook.

I think others feel that way too, but your point is taken and appreciated. For real.

For sure, I get you. My previous post reads like I have a stronger opinion about the whole thing than I actually do. I really don't use facebook, and only sparingly for The Secret so I'm assuming Dale at least is largely a facebook phenomenon. All these types you mention, though, seem like attention-starved individuals for whatever reason so I always feel a little dirty giving them exactly what they want by bringing them up. I enjoy watching the crazy from a distance as much as they next guy, so, whatever.

Better place? This is THE place for The Secret on the internet.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

Better place? This is THE place for The Secret on the internet.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Unironically completely serious that this thread will be the source (and has been) for some pretty cool poo poo, and the collection of quality posters who still exist in this thread are a testament to the cream of the Secret crop and we transcend the bullshit here and that's a very good thing.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

burnstyle posted:

I actually do still think it was Gay.

I also think the same after some reflection on the situation. There's no real evidence to suggest it wasn't Gay.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Going on memory, wasn’t there another guy who claimed he dug up the casque in SF and the Park Rangers confiscated it? 2017-18 seem to have blurred together on me, but I don’t think it was much earlier than that.

I remember seeing pictures of a light pole with an aircraft related plaque inscription on it. What ever happened to that guy? What did the rangers take away from him?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

3M TA3 posted:

Going on memory, wasn’t there another guy who claimed he dug up the casque in SF and the Park Rangers confiscated it? 2017-18 seem to have blurred together on me, but I don’t think it was much earlier than that.

I remember seeing pictures of a light pole with an aircraft related plaque inscription on it. What ever happened to that guy? What did the rangers take away from him?

IIRC he was totally lying, had a nutty solution, and actual police rolled up on him and made him stop.

Maybe I'm thinking of another nutso person, though

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Yeah I think that was the Guy who said there was an X carved at the bottom of the pole he was digging at, and tried to push that BP carved X's at each dig site. When we pushed him he admitted that he found a plastic electric junction box.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
The water department in San Fran might need to do some extensive testing on their product.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

3M TA3 posted:

It was a guy named Brian about a year ago on Marina Green. Rangers stopped him from digging at the flagpole. He accused them of taking the casque as he was being questioned. The Marina Green "solve / hoax" took several days to shake out. The parks department was in the earlier days their permit process for secret diggers and the Brian guy was unwavering in his belief that that he had dug it and that was the spot (he was a little kooky). Cornell lost his poo poo and spammed the guy's facebook page for days calling him middle school insults with typical hair on fire JC rants. So fair warning: if you find a casque and make an announcement, be prepared for dozens of his insane posts on your page calling you a fraud, loser, etc.

The result of the Marina Green claim was very much the same as the hoax this week... searchers hit the google box with their interpretations of how the clues pointed there. Some ideas weren't half bad but overall it was a lot of crowbarring to make it work.

There are a lot of boats and claims, etc, but i think that was the last time someone actually declared they had definitively dug up any of the casques (besides my bud Dale who swears the Milwaukee casque is back in his basement -- he just requires a nationwide paid interview to do his big reveal.)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
On the Facebook page, a hunter has found a bench that's a perfect match to the OC + rod in the bottom left, and they've also found a giant frame with enormous wings that can be used to frame the number 7 (and has no photos from that angle on Google.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

On the Facebook page, a hunter has found a bench that's a perfect match to the OC + rod in the bottom left, and they've also found a giant frame with enormous wings that can be used to frame the number 7 (and has no photos from that angle on Google.

Here is a picture of the San Antonio bench in question:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Found anything yet?

Wait, what am I saying... of course you haven't :laugh:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Turns out the 7 that was "across the street" from the giant wings was actually over half a mile away.

Now I'm not so convinced this is the spot. That is a common bench design called Plainwell, and I'm not sure about calling a sculpture titled Wings of Mexico as a Valkyrie

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Turns out the 7 that was "across the street" from the giant wings was actually over half a mile away.

Now I'm not so convinced this is the spot. That is a common bench design called Plainwell, and I'm not sure about calling a sculpture titled Wings of Mexico as a Valkyrie

lol

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

It appears hints on the Facebook page are going to be a regular thing.

JM gave a "like" this this post on Facebook, so unless he is being deliberately deceptive this seems like a pretty big, straightforward hint:

A facebook post with a life from JM posted:

In the podcasts, it was discovered that the preiss images were based on art while the verses had literary textual clues.

What art is image 13 based on and are there any literary clues in the verse?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Amazed this thread is still going. Keep up the hunt, goons!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 13

It appears hints on the Facebook page are going to be a regular thing.

JM gave a "like" this this post on Facebook, so unless he is being deliberately deceptive this seems like a pretty big, straightforward hint:

I dont know, he likes a lot of posts on that page. Maybe he just likes that people are trying out different podcast strategies

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13

Drunk Nerds posted:

I dont know, he likes a lot of posts on that page. Maybe he just likes that people are trying out different podcast strategies

Can we agree on a definition of "a lot"? Where he is picking and choosing to jump in with some sort of remark is pretty deliberate (I think)

I think his interactions on Facebook are important. I'm not looking for a full psychological profile, but there's a reason he's commenting on some things, not on others. There are reasons he's willing to make jokes about certain things and why he isn't on others. I don't think its something we can sit back and ignore. He's already demonstrating a willingness to be an active participant which will have an impact on the overall hunt.

I'm no shrink but the fact that he's willing to single out the profile of the individual in the painting to make a "joke" match of his own says something. I'm not sure he would be so eager to make remarks on something like that if there was a real solution in the face of the person in the image, or if anyone was on the right track with the idea that the face on the person in the image matches anything any reality (be in a photo of a famous person or a statue or a piece or art).

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 3, 2019

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Found anything yet?

Wait, what am I saying... of course you haven't :laugh:

I found the treasure! Looks like somebody replaced the gem in the casque with somebody's obsession though.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just going to leave this here with no commentary:
https://thesecretatreasurehunt.blog/2019/02/19/tribute-hunt/?fbclid=IwAR0DH4HyCR29Kl1-j5CsG2pzEqqtajqjqcp5Kza81KtoXzNd8bJnSIk5ZHs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s great

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

The author has a wonderful imagination. The photos of his trip are very telling. Or should I say the missing photos from his trip?

He went to his site, attempted the dig and found squat. Such an elaborately and thoroughly written “solution” that fails to document the results of his journey. Great initiative, poor execution and judgement.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Merlot Brougham posted:

Here is a picture of the San Antonio bench in question:

That OC figure looks more like it is meant to identify with some distinctive hair curls of the lady in image 1. I have no idea what that tells us, except I find it curious that the placement is lower left corner just as SF is lower left corner of the US. Maybe there some spatial stuff going on.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Urban Smurf posted:

That OC figure looks more like it is meant to identify with some distinctive hair curls of the lady in image 1. I have no idea what that tells us, except I find it curious that the placement is lower left corner just as SF is lower left corner of the US. Maybe there some spatial stuff going on.

I also briefly entertained the idea the OC figure might have been a nod to a partial reconstruction of the hands of the clock in image 7 / New Orleans.

I had been legitimately toying with the negative space between the foot and the boot and the gown in image 13 being a flipped and rotated outline of New Jersey. Having a hard time getting a rock solid match, but my photo manipulation skills are also minimal.

Another vague thing -The wavy area at the bottom of the "base/stand" or whatever you want to call it reminds me of a sarcophagus or a totem if you flip it or rotate it. What is how the bottom left of the gray area would be the "feet" if you will.

Nothing earth shattering, but thought I should share a couple brainstorms I looked at in case someone sees something I'm not.

I can post some pictures a little later once I get home.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 5, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Urban Smurf posted:

I can see it:

Lots of buzz about that bench. As I see it, it's the first exact image match found.

Note how the ends of the C's don't curve inward, and the bars holding the letters curve.

This bench style was designed for the 1939 NYC World's fair. There have been a few others spotted in Nashville, Seattle, and Alabama, but it's so special that it's not in a lot of places.

Best of all, it's got a cult following among bench enthusiasts who post on forums about benches (:sad:). So there's a lot of documentation. If you're thinking the casque might be in a particular state or city, you should Google "worlds fair bench [location]" to see if you can zero in on a dig spot.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
Vive la France! (Also, Vive la Fake!)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

Vive la France! (Also, Vive la Fake!)

This is a different location than the Verdi statue.

So he fake dug up two casks? Everyone is confused, and there is a bottomless well of crazy to drain

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

This is a different location than the Verdi statue.

So he fake dug up two casks? Everyone is confused, and there is a bottomless well of crazy to drain

Yes, this is pure insanity. My hunch this is his victory pose albeit in another location? Who knows. It's actually becoming quite sad.

Burnstyle posted the FOIA report from the parks on q4t. It's interesting but sheds little more light on the whole thing.

Isn't it ironic that q4t finally seems to be settling down and rediscovering some sanity as Facebook group goes bonkers?

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 5, 2019

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
The whole fake cask thing looks like a bucket list for an old guy. It's like buying cheap tickets to see a cover band, or in this case going to a Chinese Elvis show.

This world fair bench thing is intriguing. I recall a lot of talk on the "last touched seen standing" riddle for the "Roanoke" casque involved a bench. A lot of benches are bolted to cement slabs, but digging off a corner or side is very doable.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 5, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lots of buzz about that bench. As I see it, it's the first exact image match found.

Note how the ends of the C's don't curve inward, and the bars holding the letters curve.

This bench style was designed for the 1939 NYC World's fair.

I agree, this is a very significant find. It has a lot going for it to suggest this style bench to be right at the treasure ground. OC = [the capital O, Capital C] "One Casque" from the verse, which is the tribute's version of "Fence and Fixture" telling us the OC from the image will be visible from, and it will be obvious once we are at, the treasure ground. In this case the OC seems be legs of a world's fair bench. Maybe.

Drunk Nerds posted:

There have been a few others spotted in Nashville, Seattle, and Alabama, but it's so special that it's not in a lot of places.

Buffalo - The Queen City. Olmsted approved.

Edit: And Rochester, Boston, Louisville, and Detroit.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 6, 2019

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
[image 13]

I would like to take a quick survey. If you were the betting type, how strong do you feel about connecting Image 13 to The Alamo?

Secondly, you can find World's Fair Benches everywhere, which might be why JM chose that as the/an actual dig spot marker, if that's indeed what it is. It seems to make sense to me.

I saw some discussion on Facebook about how the leash might represent the Monarch Highway:

Not saying I personally buy it, but supposing that is true, San Antonio is on the Monarch Highway and the city uses VIVA as a slogan for things (Metro transport/town festival), so there's that.

If it is important to find all clues learned now from methods past (if those two lines are even linked that way), then there is actually only one port city along the Monarch Highway: Duluth, Minnesota.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 9, 2019

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Personally I don't think its the Alamo because that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the image and it seems that way for lots of others. It seems too obvious but who knows.

My crappy ideas:

- The beams holding up the hubcap(?) and monarch could be directional clues (ie. north/south or east/west) pointing to landmarks or businesses in the area. Lots of botanical gardens and butterfly gardens have logos of monarch butterflies.

- The words in the verse make me think its under or nearby to a bridge. The bridge might be 4 spans long, or the river/bridge might have "four" in its name, or there might be 4 separate bridges spanning a river in the town/city its located in. below the bridge might be a physical B emblem or a site that uses a B logo. There may be a statue at each end of the bridge to satisfy the two men part of the verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
If you asked me to draw something that looked nothing like the alamo, I would draw draw that wall.